Chapter 4 - How Many Generals Does It take?

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

A general changing a light bulb

Post by Victoria Steele »

Angela and Trickfox, you are right of course, Linda Brown did have Curtis LeMay changing a light bulb, didn't she? I have wondered about how VERY odd that scene was. I just couldn't have imagined it. I mentioned it to an associate of mine, a high ranking officer (retired now) in the Air Force and when I said LeMay had done that ... he just looked at me as if I had lost my marbles. He didn't believe the story. Yet .... I do.

And that means to me that there is a force out there that can in fact REACH people, change people. And I find the scene of Curtis LeMay reaching for a fresh light bulb ... highly symbolic. And Trickfox, you are right. It is for each of us to make that decision. Reach for the lightbulb, or live in the dark. And Linda Browns observation at the time I find highly prophetic ..... "How many Generals does it take to change a lightbulb?
Now THATS A REAL GOOD QUESTION. Victoria
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

another look at chapter 4

I guess I was the last one to post on this and look at the date! six months ago!

After the great discussions spawned about Chapter 42 I thought maybe it would be helpful to look again at Chapter 4. (Hey Paul, you leave me alone with my thoughts and no new chapters to chew on and you got to expect I would go chew on something else! And this chapter was just mentioned. I figured that it might be worth taking another look at it, now that we all know a little bit more about the life of Townsend Brown. I can see things I didn't see when I first read this chapter.)

First of all, Dr. Brown was demonstrating what would years later be out on the market and known as the IONIC BREEZE. The way it got there (without any nod in his direction but an admission and recognition from the license holder) is a story Paul tells in his "The Paternity of the Ionic Breeze." But I don't want to chew on that. I am just mentioning it as a marker.

You know, if you ever get someone who says ...... as I have had the experience...... "Oh the Townsend Brown was just a crackpot ... thinking that he had the propuslsion system for saucers in the fifties .... the guy was nuts."

That actually was an experience I had not long ago. All I could do was simply look at this person and then decide whether it was worth trying to spend the energy to set him straight. I am terrible. My conclusion was that he wasn't worth the energy.

So drawing on some of that unspent energy and putting it where it might actually count. I am posting this new chapter discussion in the hopes that, now that we all know a little bit more, maybe we can figure some of this stuff out.

Like, Why did Dr. Brown "shut the project down" in 1967?

Why did he tell his daughter to "Find her own life"? I feel as if I know her a little bit more after all this information about her life and Morgans and all, so how did she really react to this?

And where was Morgan? He is not mentioned at all in this chapter! What was going on between the two of them? If the "project" is being "shut down" wouldn't that mean that Linda and Morgan could be together then?

Hey Paul? I know you said that you would be back after Labor Day and I am content to wait. But you have to realize that I am here, with all of these questions. You know me. I want LOVE to win.

By the way. Digging around in ashes has all kinds of benefits. No telling, when a handsome man says "Can I help you with that?", where it might lead.

So for further discussions I'll meet you in this new pool! Victoria
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

oh my, a new beau

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Watch out world. Sounds like our Victoria has found herself a Beau. (Thats an old fashioned saying true, but I think in my heart she is a bit of an old fashioned girl wrapped in a warriors spirit. best of everything in that direction Victoria.)

Meanwhile, we have returned to a chapter I can actually get my teeth into a little bit. And I hope soon that Paul will be able to answer some of the questions that Victoria posed. How did Linda take that news?

Victoria has struck some truth here. I think that we all feel after following along for these months that we know Linda Brown just a little bit, even though she remains extremely mysterious, there are some things about her that I do know. She wouldn't have quit. I doubt that very much.

She might have done something else for awhile because getting out from under her Fathers shadow would have been good for her and I am sure that she was like any other young twenty something year old. People to meet, things to do. But at the end of it? I think that she circled back to be with her Father and his work. Am I right Paul?

And what was Morgan doing all this time after he survived the "knife test".
He apparently circled back too because he contacted you, right?

There is so much more to this story. I am as bad as Victoria I guess. I just want to find out how it all has worked out. You like to see how things work out I guess and maybe teachers are the ones most infected with that ..... hope ..... for the future.

I have gotten discouraged in the past as a teacher, I have to admit. I see so many youngsters go drifting through their lives half asleep. You know you try to reach them but I am sad and resigned to the fact that I guess I have reached really just a handful of kids that I think will light the world. I get the impression that Linda might have been one of those kids. I really hope so. Mark C.
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

shedding light

Yes Mark, I do think that Linda was probably one of those students who absolutely would have impressed her teachers with the ability to light some dark corner. Morgan was probably another one.

But notice something odd about the posts that happened six months ago. We were all talking there about how Linda got a General to stand on a wobbly stool to change the lightbulb above her desk.

I wrote then that for some reason I found that scene really important but I didn't know why. But now I wonder if that isn't what this all might eventually be about. Its important to get OTHERS to notice that the light is out where it needs to be lit. And then even more important to get that person to VOLUNTEER to do something about it. And she got CURTIS LEMAY TO CLIMB UP THERE. AMAZING.

And the only real problem with all of that as Linda is quoted as wondering . "How many Generals does it take? "

I wonder about that myself! Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Monitoring

Post by Paul S. »

Hey guys... just a quick heads up... I've been called away for one of those "family emergency" type situations that's got me in a situation with limited Internet access (what?? no wireless????). So, I see all the questions that are being posted and I want to address some of the issues, but it could be another day or two before I can get some quality "screen and keyboard" time.

Very interesting discussions, here, and the MHD/EHD discussion elsewhere. I'll try add a few thoughts ASAP.

-PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

so, an empty Thursday?

You know me. I have to ask. So no new Chapter then? Not for .....who knows how long? Should I be discouraged? No answers to our questions even?So should we all kind of "hang up our spurs" until after the conference? I just have this sinking feeling that we are going to lose this inside look into the construction of this great book. I just know that the next step is a movie and boy will that be great!

Just a fantasy at the moment but it makes for an interesting question. If you were casting votes for the most appropriate actors for the main roles, who would you cast in Dr. Browns role, Josephines, Linda and (my main interest, Morgan)

I have him pictured as tall and athletic , Not your Tom cruise type at all, no having to wear flats to look him in the eyes (forgive me Tom, but you are not the Morgan I have in my head). Someone with a touch of danger to his attitude. When I figure who I think would be best Paul, I'll let you know. Surely (you jest) he says ..... You might give me an idea of the person you see as the Morgan man?

I did find out that the will be videoing your speech Paul and I guess that they are offering the entire conference on DVD for about 25.00. Which I guess is a bargain for anyone who can't make it there personally. I asked him if you would be available for us to speak to you on Friday night and he said that you and the other speakers would be available for questions for just a few minutes that evening, but that the press would have first crack at you. Boy! That sounds like all kinds of fun. <g>

Are you gone already? Its been so quiet from your end! Victoria