Townsend wasn't above pulling strings for his friends...

Long-time Townsend Brown inquirer Jan Lundquist – aka 'Rose' in The Before Times – has her own substantial archive to share with readers and visitors to this site. This forum is dedicated to the wealth of material she has compiled: her research, her findings, and her speculations.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame
Spam Prevention: Yes

Townsend wasn't above pulling strings for his friends...

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Some very interesting items have turned up in my trawl through the Zanesville newspaper files.

Future USN Commander Jack Erven met Townsend Brown while working as a lifeguard at the Hawethornce club pool. He later credited Townsend with influencing him to choose the Navy over the Army when he went to enlist during WWII. But, even better, with Townsend vouching for him, he went straight to work in radio intelligence, skipping over boot camp and all the rest of that onerous new recruit stuff.

Snipped from Erven's account:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 12.53.32 PM.png
natecull
Keeper of the Flame

Re: Townsend wasn't above pulling strings for his friends...

Post by natecull »

"Townsend Brown influenced me to choose the navy," he said. "I don't know what or how (Brown) did it, but I never went to boot camp and went straight to active duty in communications. I worked in RI, Radio Intelligence, and there were fast promotions and good jobs."
Very cool find!

Nate
Going on a journey, somewhere far out east
We'll find the time to show you, wonders never cease