Navy Crypto Humor: Crummy Places and WullenWaffen

Is the forum really open? After THIRTEEN YEARS?
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame
Spam Prevention: Yes

Navy Crypto Humor: Crummy Places and WullenWaffen

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Many veterans have stories of being invited to earn a C T rating by a recruiter who could not tell them anything about the classification other than CTs rarely went to sea. Like the Alsos and Ticom missions, the NSA and the NRO, the work of CTs was highly classified for many years.

Those who are veterans of this service still protect its deepest secrets, but they hope the importance of their work will eventually be revealed and recognized. The U.S. Naval Cryptologic Veterans Association website is a first step in that direction.

From that site, a parable covering the growth and development of the Navy communications and cryptology functions over the first few decades of it's existence:
And They Shall Be Called CTs

Published on 12 April 2016
Download https://www.usncva.org/files/cryptologi ... nload.html
( pdf , 337.95 KB )

If you wonder how Cryptologic Technicians—or, formerly Communications Technicians—came to be called CTs, here is the answer to that Ponderous Thought in only Five Acts! Discover all about Crummy Places, the Cover Story, the birth of Naval Tradition, and The Fall.
Sample:
C-THumor.png
WullenWaffen refers to large circles of antennae and wires used for 360 direction finding.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: Navy Crypto: Touchy Touchy or What is the Sound of Two doors Slamming??

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Sheesh. A few days ago, the crypto veterans site had a warm and fuzzy home-baked, feel to it. It was very accessible and I was able to guest-post a question to their forum.. When I came back to see if the question had been answered, the site has had a complete makeover. changed completely. Nos is a stiff and starched version of its former self. They put on their dress blues, and taken the forum and much other information behind closed doors.

Should I take this personally? Was it something I said? Or was it the mention of Thomas Townsend Brown that did it?

This event reminded me of an experience my husband had in a local coffee shop, in the Before Times. He and his gregarious friends were bantering with a stranger with a guy about their age (60-70) waiting at the order window. It was all just ducky until they learned that he had been a submarine captain, and asked what he knew of Townsend Brown. Johnny said it was like throwing ice on the conversation. The guy turned around, froze them out, took his order, and left without another word.

Incidents like this remind me that there are two distinct and opposing factions at work here. On one side, we have the controlled release group. Now that early Cold War histories are being declassified, they have felt free to make packets of information available, like the military records Linda was [finally] given, the Montgolfier Report and the Gray Barker files. What we make of it all, is left up to us.

On the other hand, we have those who have sworn to take certain secrets to their graves. Not only are they not talking, they aren't engaging. Those are the door slammers.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: Ugh. I want a do over. The word is Wullenweber

Post by Jan Lundquist »

I need to have a do-over on this whole typo-filled, and poorly edited thread.
Paul Schatzkin
The White Rabbit

Re: Navy Crypto Humor: Crummy Places and WullenWaffen

Post by Paul Schatzkin »

Oh, Jan, I wouldn't worry about the typo-stuff too much.
They put on their dress blues, and taken the forum and much other information behind closed doors.

Should I take this personally? Was it something I said? Or was it the mention of Thomas Townsend Brown that did it?
That's a good anecdote in its own right.

One of the things I don't get into in the book are the years on Catalina, and the time or two (or three or more?) when TTB would go out to board submarines that surfaced in Avalon Bay. Apparently 'stuff' was handed off / retrieved. Details are non existent.
Incidents like this remind me that there are two distinct and opposing factions at work here. On one side, we have the controlled release group. ...On the other hand, we have those who have sworn to take certain secrets to their graves. Not only are they not talking, they aren't engaging. Those are the door slammers.
That is also an astute assessment.

But it is another fine mess we've gotten ourselves into, treading the fine line between the two, isn't it?

--P
Paul Schatzkin, author of 'The Man Who Mastered Gravity' https://amz.run/6afz
It's "a multigenerational project." What's your hurry?
"We will just sail away from the Earth, as easily as this boat pushed away from the dock" - TTB
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Jan Lundquist »

But it is another fine mess we've gotten ourselves into, treading the fine line between the two, isn't it?
How did we get so blessed?

Regarding Townsend's submarine outings during his Catalina years, I believe he was going aboard the submersible barge that raised a Soviet nuclear sub from its resting spot three miles deep. The surface ship, the Glomar Explorer, has gotten all the glamour but the Clementine was the workhorse of the venture. Designed and built on the West Coast and then towed to Catalina to join the sea trials, she made a stop in Long Beach to load the equipment that had been shipped there by rail.

I think Townsend went aboard because he was a senior scientist with the CIA which sponsored the project. He had the skills and knowledge to fine tune whatever equipment was taken aboard in Long Beach. All I can say for certain is that a large part of it would have been the communications systems,

As the story goes, they were only able to salvage a third of of the K-129, as it broke apart while being raised. Mebbe. Mebbe not. Either way, this was an audaciously aspirational mission.
Paul Schatzkin
The White Rabbit

Post by Paul Schatzkin »

I seem to recall all this from somewhere on the periphery... I've book marked this to read next:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180972154/

... along with some other things that have come to my attention in the past week about TTB's possible involvement in UFO crash retrievals - which I don't even get into in the book and so will maybe post as an appendix on the website if I can make any sense out of it (like that's a prerequisite??).

--P
"We will just sail away from the Earth, as easily as this boat pushed away from the dock" - TTB
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Jan Lundquist »

TTB's possible involvement in UFO crash retrieval
I believe, very strongly, think he was at the Kingman AZ crash, but given the year, I think that the UFO was from Project Paperclip. Part of the reason i believe this is that Kingman Crash researcher, Harry Drew, recounts a newspaper report of t two non-English speaking men found near a fire in the forest outside of Prescott, on the night of the crash. They were suspected of arson and were locked up in in the local jail. When the jailer went in the foiling morning, he found that the prisoners had escaped, leaving no clues behind as to how they accomplished it.

Sprechen sie deutsch?

Towsend wrote to Jo in this time periods, that he was meeting with "Prescott and Williams". He often used place names as code names, and these twons are close to Kingman. It is quite possible that met with the two mystery men, or with the materials scientists (Stancil and ? I want to say Leonard Nemoy, but I know that's not right. Leonard Stringfield? who gave rise to the story about the captured aliens.

Or, t is possible, though not equally possible, with he met up with a pair of Aliens.

There are many variation of the Townsend and UFO retrieval stories. The only one we can say is true for certain is the one reported by UFO researcher, Michael Swords. It seems that a piece of space junk which had unusual gravitational characteristics was headed for further testing at an Air Force lab, when Townsend swooped in (with the blessings of the Navy) and made off with it before they could take possession.
Paul Schatzkin
The White Rabbit

Post by Paul Schatzkin »

This one is interesting for a couple of reasons...
Jan Lundquist wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:20 am I believe, very strongly, think he was at the Kingman AZ crash, but given the year, I think that the UFO was from Project Paperclip.
Given the 'dreaded' nature of the whole UFO subject, I am not well versed on the wide range of UFO sighting and crash events —even though the only time I have spoken publicly about the Townsend Brown story was at a UFO crash retrieval conference in Las Vegas back in 2006.

However, this whole subject of UFO (now UAP) sightings is heating up I've laid and seems to be demanding some attention. This post from Whitley Streiber's unknowncountry.com website is a fair account I will most recent revelations:

https://bityl.co/J5Sw
Sprechen sie deutsch?
No, but interesting you should ask because I have this week received an invitation to make a contribution about Townsend Brown to a German based publication:

https://www.nexus-magazin.de

We have not yet determined the nature of what I will do for them, but we expect to get something organized for release in the fall.
Towsend wrote to Jo in this time periods, that he was meeting with "Prescott and Williams".
OK, where did you come up with that?

I'm supposed to be the worlds foremost authority on all this stuff, but you keep coming up with all kinds of stuff I've never seen before. 🤣 Is this from the time you spent with Linda in The Before Times (or with that more accurately be described as the Post Before Times?)?
There are many variation of the Townsend and UFO retrieval stories. The only one we can say is true for certain is the one reported by UFO researcher, Michael Swords. It seems that a piece of space junk which had unusual gravitational characteristics was headed for further testing at an Air Force lab, when Townsend swooped in (with the blessings of the Navy) and made off with it before they could take possession.
And how/ where did you find Michael Swords? He has only recently come to my attention with this account:

https://thebiggeststudy.blogspot.com/search?q=townsend

... which I find somewhat convoluted and hard to follow but nevertheless ties Townsend Brown in with UFO/crash retrieval events.

It has been a very long time now, but I do vaguely recall hey story that Linda told me about her father showing her some kind of metal that did not appear to be I've known earthly origin. Here again I wish I had better access to my before times files, no I would not know where to look for it. And then there are countless hundreds of hours audio tapes the sheer volume of defies transcription.

All of this is angles and material for a future blog posts.