The Cady Report and the W*project

Long-time Townsend Brown inquirer Jan Lundquist – aka 'Rose' in The Before Times – has her own substantial archive to share with readers and visitors to this site. This forum is dedicated to the wealth of material she has compiled: her research, her findings, and her speculations.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Cady Report and the W*project

Post by Jan Lundquist »

inspired by re-reading this section of Jaques Cornillion's Montgolfier report, linked in the Fusor.net thread, in Let's Talk About the Book.
Dr. Brown looked over Dr. Rose’s paper and smiled saying; “we have made enormous progress since this report was written.
This was in April,1955, in Washington, DC. Cornillion is, allegedly, meeting Brown for the first time. The document Brown is reviewing is probably the one we call the Mason Rose Saucer document (linked in the Mason Rose thread in this section). It dates from Brown's "wounded prairie chicken" days in LA, in '51/'52. During this west coast sojurn, between Hawaii and DC, Rose and Bradford Schank, each with deeply hidden WWII histories of their own, and separate careers of their own, were happy to play at being partners with Brown in his chosen role as crank saucer scientist and stock market tips peddler.

Cornillion goes on to say that Brown needed to be at the Franklin Institute the next week and they would meet again in Philadelphia. This seems important, as the Institute had earlier been proposed as a working partner in the Winterhaven project.

Cornillion continues:
However with respects to my inquiry he told me that he was not at liberty to discuss the issue at that exact moment. Without being specific he explained that he was under oath with official organizations not to discuss the subject with anyone. He did mention that he would inquire about the possibility of collaboration and that I should call him the next day. I told him I was surprised to hear about the security issues because Shank and Rose had informed me that the research had been abandoned. He told me that it wasn’t their fault because they themselves were unaware of Brown’s recent activities.

He immediately explained to me that this subject is now “classified information”. He mentioned that in the past part of the information had become momentarily declassified, -only to become reclassified almost immediately afterwards.
I think Brown was talking about the Cady report of Sept., 1952, here. I will have more to say about that report in a following post, but let's dispose of W*, first.
That is, -no doubt the point when W*(blacked out)* project information leaked out. The W*(blacked out)* project now deals specifically with dynamic applications of the B/B principle and these applications are now classified..
If by W*, Cornillion means the Winterhaven Proposal that Townsend put out in December, 1952 (or early 1953), to my knowledge, that document has never been classified, although that does not mean that the all or part of the work was could not have been funded in a different, more secret guise.

Winterhaven lays out a plan for 4 separate groups of basic research, to be carried by the National Bureau of Standards, Stanford University, the University of Chicago and the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. The work was proposed by the Thomas Townsend Brown Foundation, located in the Bowen Building, described as "just a few steps from the White House"

The proposal under discussion is here:
projectwinterhaven.pdf
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
The Table of Contents is here
winterhavenToC.png
It is apparent from the Appendix A document, laying out the work that will be done at the Franklin institute, that Townsend worked closely with the Institute research director W.F.G. Swann on preparation of this Part D plan. Swann has a hella impressive resume https://web.archive.org/web/20080224052 ... story.html (and according to the cover letter for this section, he was likewise impressed by Townsend.)
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: The W*project, and RIAS

Post by Jan Lundquist »

The proposal lays out a plan for scientific research into a demonstrated phenomena that no one, no where, no how, really understood. Except Townsend, who had definite plans for where he was going next with his Flame Jet Generator (plasma engine) and his Flying Saucers. A look at the org chart tells me the activities on the right side of the chart were intended to be where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. We would see a flurry of activity in these organizations over the next two years:

Brush would become a subcontractor to GE for the Keyhole satellites. Dr. Swann had seen to the transfer of the Battelle Labs research division of the Franklin Institute to a physical facility co-located (out of public view) on the Swarthmore college campus. As to Hancock Manufacturing, the sole surviving reference to the company that I have found is newspaper notice is that it leased a five story office building in Philadelphia in October of 1953. (They were feeling prosperous before they dropped out of sight.)
winterhavenOrgChart.png
]

Continuing the org chart analysis. The Institute for Advanced Study, located in Princeton, NJ, was in operation then, as it is today. playing host to top scholars in mathematics, physics, biology and materials science. I think, though, that the ]Institute of Advance Studies mentioned in this org chart was a whitewash over work a secret contract that used Princeton IAS scholars as consultants, but was contractually run through the Glenn L. Martin company.

In Nick Cook's Search for Zero point, as he seeks to uncover what happened with the gravity research boom of the mid-fifties, he hopes to connect with George S. Trimble. Trimble, a former Martin employee, was quoted in a 1956 article, saying that the conquest of gravity "could be done in about the time it took to build the first atom bomb."

Cook reached out to Trimble, via his contact at Lockheed Martin (which, by then, had purchased the Martin Marietta Company, created in 1961 by a merger of Glenn L Martin and American Marietta. Initially, Cook is told that Trimble is willing to speak with him but within a short period of time Trimble does a complete about face and vehemently refuses to grant an interview.

What Cook managed to learn a bit came from a Martin Marietta company history in his personal files. It seems that in 1955, Trimble had a connection with something called the Research Institute for Advanced Studies. (Ding! Ding! Hello There!)

From Cook, https://plain2.tripod.com/huntforzeropoint.pdf, pp. 9-10:
RIAS, a Martin spin-off organization whose brief was to "observe the phenomena of nature . . .to discover fundamental laws . . . and to evolve new technical concepts for the improvement and welfare of mankind."* [italics mine] Aside from the philanthropic tone, a couple of things struck me as fishy about the RIAS. First off, its name was as bland as the carefully chosen "Advanced Development Projects"—the official title of the Skunk Works. Second, was the nature and caliber of its recruits. These,according to the company history, were "world-class contributors in
mathematics, physics, biology and materials science."

....RIAS no longer existed, having been subsumed by other parts of the Lockheed Martin empire. But through an old RIAS history, a brochure published in 1980 to celebrate the organization's "first 25 years," I was able to glean a little more about Trimble and the outfit he'd inspired. It described him as "one of the most creative and imaginative people that ever worked for the Company."

I read on. From a nucleus of people that in 1955 met in a conference room at the Martin Company's Middle River plant in Maryland, RIAS soon developed a need for its own space. In 1957, with a staff of about 25 people, it moved to Baltimore City. The initial research program, the
brochure said, was focused on NASA and the agency's stated goal of putting a man on the moon. But that wasn't until 1961**. One obvious question was, what had RIAS been doing in the interim? Mainly math, by the look of it. Its principal academic was described as an
expert in "topology and nonlinear differential equations."
*I know I have seen these statements elsewhere in regards to Townsend Brown, but can't remember where. Anyone have a clue?

**But what Cook forgets is that Satellite Reconnaissance was the goal of a space program that came to exist long before NASA was created. What Glen Martin was probably doing in the interim, was using "topology and nonlinear differential equations" to extrapolate gradient field potentials from the orbital math methods developed by Meinesz in Dec., 52
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: The Cady Report: Observation No. 1 Sidereal Radiation

Post by Jan Lundquist »

That covers Winterhaven for now. On to the Cady Report

Townsend had years of data from his electrometer observations. Reportedly, at the time of Cady's request, he even had equipment operating in a shielded room in the Huntley Banks building in Los Angeles. Nonetheless, Cady is told that the only records available for inspection are from 1937.

Curious, as in 1938, Hannes Alfven, (who would become known as the father of Electrohydrodynamics), published what seems to be an important theoretical observation about Sidereal time variations*.
If the cosmic-ray particles are not isotropic relative to the stellar system, as for example if they do not share the motion of galactic rotation, the relative motion of the slow ions and the cosmic-ray particles of opposite sign produces in effect an electric current.

Calculation shows that the resulting magnetic field may become as great as 10−1 gauss if there is a considerable difference between the number of positive and negative particles.

...even a small sidereal time variation of the cosmic radiation would imply such great magnetic fields as to bend the paths of cosmic-ray particles in curves of radii small compared with interstellar distances
His conclusion seems to me to be that Isotopy rules...most of the time.

Even more curious is that Cady reports that a statistical analysis was conducted on of all of Townsend's claimed correlations. Except, he says, those for sidereal radiation.

I suspect that the Sidereal Time Variance of Cosmic Radiation, might be of more importance than Cady knew or let on. Linda says her father thought he had found "the nervous system of the universe." Though most of us cannot fully grasp that idea, today, we can own our very own sidereal clock (app), preset to notify us at 13.50 local time, when our psychic abilities are supposed to be 400% stronger than normal. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/local-sid ... 1256725300

*On the Sidereal Time Variation of the Cosmic Radiation, Hannes Alfvén, Phys. Rev. 54, 97 – Published 15 July 1938
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: The Cady Report Observations No. 2 Electric Wind and 3 The Censored parts

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Based upon what he, himself, calls a "sketchy analysis of the data from the Brown Electrometer" Cady concludes:
8.6 ) It is claimed that the deflections of the electrometer show certain periodicities. If these are real they show the inadequacy of the electric wind hypothesis. Their reality is assessed in the crude and preliminary analysis contained in para. 5.2 and summarized in para. 5.3. There is no manifest solar diurnal period and no manifest lunar diurnal period. No test has been applied for the claimed sidereal diurnal period or for the correlation with the value of financial securities. Neither has it been possible to determine whether the slow changes in deflection (Table 2) are repeated annually as claimed; however, the fact that the deflections once annually permanently reversed direction would seem to discourage this claim. This reversal is attributable to changed surface conductivity of the sectors of the disc. It is concluded that the short study, para. 5 of the reading of the Brown Electrometer does not weaken the hypothesis that all the (censored: probably reads, "phenomena reported by Mr. Brown") are the result of electric wind.
(text effects, mine)

On first glance, Cady seems to be saying, Ho-hum, just electric wind, but I think the money line is that "they show the inadequacy of the electric wind hypothesis". From the present day perspective, we know that the electric wind did, indeed, have inadequacies that would, relatively soon, be addressed by electrohydrodynamics.

This theory set seems to have morphed again, in 2018, when MIT researchers flew the first ion powered plane,using "electroaerodynamics" in place of moving parts. Though they don't name the inventor, they make it clear that they are using principles derived from Townsend Brown's 1927 work. ( 57 second mark) Those of us who followed the technology of The Fan will also recognize that it has been used in the wings of the plane.

Ion Drive: The First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boB6qu5dcCw

The original transcriber of the Cady Report inserted their own suggestion for whatever was censored in the last sentence of para 8.6, but it makes no sense, as the entire report is about "phenomena reported by Mr. Brown".

I also noticed two other redactions in this "declassified" report. The first was the address of the Banks-Huntley building. Googles now says 634 South Spring Street, and informs me that it was located next to the Stock Exchange on what was once called "the Wall Street of the West"

The other redaction was where Cady found the methodology he usee to calculate thrust:
7.5 ) We will adapt the treatment cited in (name censored) ("Conduction of Electricity Through Gases, 3rd ed., Vol. II, 1933, page 544) in considering the force on a charged conductor brought about by the ionic conductivity in a gas.
This too, seems nonsensical, to have the author's name censored, but the actual page given. From what I can find, in a partial online copy of the referenced volume, P. 544 seems to have fallen within a larger "Spark Gap Analysis" section.
natecull
Keeper of the Flame

Re: The Cady Report and the W*project

Post by natecull »

It seems that in 1955, Trimble had a connection with something called the Research Institute for Advanced Studies.
Right, I think I remember that. RIAS being a kind of corporate in-house think-tank, definitely taking a name that sounded like Princeton's IAS, but wasn't quite.
an old RIAS history, a brochure published in 1980 to celebrate the organization's "first 25 years,"
Now that's something that I hadn't quite processed: that RIAS continued for so long. I'd been under the impression that it folded sometime soon after the 1950s.
One obvious question was, what had RIAS been doing in the interim? Mainly math, by the look of it. Its principal academic was described as an expert in "topology and nonlinear differential equations."
What Glen Martin was probably doing in the interim, was using "topology and nonlinear differential equations" to extrapolate gradient field potentials from the orbital math methods developed by Meinesz in Dec., 52
To me, "topology and nonlinear differential equations" in the 1950s would mean precisely one subject: General Relativity. Was Meinesz in 1952 working within a GR framework, or was he still a Newtonian thinker?

(I mean you could study Newtonian gravity just with differential equations, but I think it's only Einstein's equations that add the nonlinear stuff, and I don't think the approach before GR would involve topology either.)

I know that Townsend in the 1950s seemed to be close to some of Einstein's circle (ie, the Princeton IAS), and that he was excited about GR and/or one of Einstein's many different post-GR Unified Field attempts as a potential explanation for his Effect. Or at least, that he used Einstein's name in his marketing, and seemed sincere in requesting that RIAS assist Winterhaven in testing the "field" (read: GR/UFP) interpretations of it.

But GR just didn't work. Or at least in our universe, in our public understanding of physics, UFP didn't work at all, even as a scientific theory, and GR didn't "work" work: it did not produce tangible outputs usable on Earth (or even Earth orbit) in the sense of major new technological breakthroughs. It seems to have mostly generated piles of self-confirming academic models about the universe. Possibly, it gave us LIGO. LIGO is a great counterexample for Townsend's gravity radio, because if LIGO is true then it suggests that Townsend couldn't possibly have made a radio with an antenna smaller than a small town. (Two 4km long detectors). I admit that I, a science rube, am still a bit suspicious about LIGO because I just can't figure out how they could conceivably be filtering out all the massive amounts of noise and somehow measuring movements in those 4km long detectors smaller than an atom. Isn't there a chance that they're just getting random noise and then the filtering algorithms are filtering out everything except what their models tell them they want to hear?

But my real lack of interest in LIGO comes from reading about Townsend's gravity radio back in the 1980s. And wanting to believe.

I wish that GR had delivered on its 1950s promise of giving us exciting new toys. Even Star Trek in 1967 was based on the assumption that of course the (then in full bloom) GR renaissance would lead to actual space-warping hardware. Or even just some equations that would show us how to, someday, build actual space-warping hardware.

But GR resoundingly didn't give us that, and that's perhaps the most startling scientific non-discovery of the 20th century to me. The utter failure of GR's successor, string theory, to yield anything at all being almost as big of a shock, but not quite: GR had already headed the train down that speculative mathematics track.

Of course, if the RIAS (say) had discovered something actually usable and exciting in General Relativity, then my assessment of its value would be quite different. But in that scenario, we would have to explain either a) how people like John Wheeler and several generations of extremely bright physics students didn't find anything despite looking with all their careers, or b) how it could be possible, if they did find anything, to cover it up, while GR remained an active research subject with funding from multiple competing governments all through the Cold War.

I want there to be cool secret gravity toys, but I can't find a way to make either of those two scenarios seem plausible. At least not yet.

Regards, Nate
Going on a journey, somewhere far out east
We'll find the time to show you, wonders never cease
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Nate, Townsend's acknowledged association with Glenn Martin dated from before the war. I suspect if we time map and geolocate we will find that he was living in Bethesda, next door to the Middle River Plant during the early RIAS formation.

I don't know what he was chasing, theoretically speaking, but he was able to martial some powerful support. And Martin Aerospace benefitted by earning the contract to develop the Vanguard Rocket, chosen to put the Navy's first satellites into space.
Last edited by Jan Lundquist on Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: The Cady Report and Spooky Action at a Distance

Post by Jan Lundquist »

For reference, the report is at http://www.rexresearch.com/ttbrown/ttbrown.htm. This transcription is the only extant copy of this report.

For background to this post, see Nate's previous one at viewtopic.php?p=21917#p21917

When Townsend describes the brush recorder response to a transmission in another room, yes, that could have been due to normal EMI at work, but Townsend has already said that his equipment was located in a shielded basement. He was well aware of EMI and had taken care to prevent it.

Given that the vault holding his equipment was located next to the Stock Exchange on L.A.'s "Wall Street of the West" , I think it quite possible that the arrangement also served as a primitive stock prediction model. Cady didn't bother to investigate the effects of the Biefeld Brown effect on the market, and the Lake Securities fraud investigation would come and go quickly.

But it is worth noting that Townsend's BFF on the West Coast, Beau Kitselman, who wrote programs "before there were computers" had been churning out predictive models since the mid-thirties, using weighted decision making methods.

I don't know if we will ever know how "real" the Securities group was. Not very, would be my conjecture. When word gets around that you are gaming the market, you best have an exit ramp in sight.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: Willoughby and his Piezoelectric Papa

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Willoughby and Townsend would have been peers in age and in childhood experiences, both sons of superlative engineers. Each of them served in the Navy during WW II, with Willoughby's last post being as the head of the Naval Ordinance Lab at China Lake.

I have no doubt that the two men also shared a great respect for Willoughby's father, the more famous Walter G. Cady, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Guyton_Cady , the American physicist and electrical engineer" who pioneered in piezoelectricity, developing the first quartz crystal oscillator in 1921.(IOW, Walter G practically single-handedly fathered modern electronics engineering.)

But you cannot read about W.G. without encountering a mention of Rochelle Salts. Since that has cropped up twice in my reading in as many days, I took some time to dig into it a bit. Apparently, Rochelle Salts make piezoelectrics possible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_sodium_tartrate.

W.G. was still working with them during W.W. II: "I did think up a certain cut of Rochelle-salt that could be put to use in underwater transducers and I assigned that to the Brush Company in Cleveland, and I think I raked off something like $1000.00."
https://www.aip.org/history-programs/ni ... ies/4549-2

References to Brush company crops up in surprising places. This one is probably purely coincidental and has nothing to do with the fact that Brush would be Townsend's next stop after leaving LA in 1952.

I think Townsend and Willoughby had most likely crossed paths long before the USAF asked ONR to investigate Townsend Brown. The men would probably would have crossed paths again many times later. Unfortunately, Willoughby would pass the next year, at the too young age of forty-six.
natecull
Keeper of the Flame

Post by natecull »

Willoughby and Townsend would have been peers in age and in childhood experiences, both sons of superlative engineers. Each of them served in the Navy during WW II, with Willoughby's last post being as the head of the Naval Ordinance Lab at China Lake.
That's very interesting! So Cady was also a Navy man, active in the fairly small circle of high-end electronics suppliers that Townsend trusted, and therefore someone that Townsend could potentially have known. Much like Spirito and Puscheck. It does seem possible then that he was deliberately writing a report that made Townsend's devices look useless. That would certainly fit with the "prairie chicken" hypothesis of his early-1950s public "saucers" phase with Mason Rose.

I'm presuming though that Townsend's later-1950s work with Bahnson and Montgolfier (and the third one, the one we've never been able to find documentation for - General Electric at King of Prussia) *wasn't* part of the Prairie Chicken routine? They seemed serious, and were at least a bit more discreet.

What then do we think about the flurry of highly public magazine articles also happening in the late 1950s, at the same time as he was trying to get replication studies going? More Prairie Chicken? A genuine attempt at publicity? Or something else?

Nate
Going on a journey, somewhere far out east
We'll find the time to show you, wonders never cease