Chantilly and Erie and avenues left open

Long-time Townsend Brown inquirer Jan Lundquist – aka 'Rose' in The Before Times – has her own substantial archive to share with readers and visitors to this site. This forum is dedicated to the wealth of material she has compiled: her research, her findings, and her speculations.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame
Spam Prevention: Yes

Chantilly and Erie and avenues left open

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Linda and Jo were heartbroken to be leaving Chantilly. They had been house shopping in the belief that they would be settling down at last.

But, Townsend was again, almost suddenly diverted to Meadville. This is where I too run out of steam. I won't even try to connect what was happening, except I assumed something critical was happening in the GE facility Erie, PA, or perhaps on some satellite subcontract.

Townsend impressed upon Linda, his strong dislike for co-worker Dr. Wang (not-word-processor Wang)

Townsend generally preferred to live close to his work, but was his work in Meadeville, itself? Or did he live there because it was equidistant between GE Engines R&D labs and the Cleveland lab that became NASA LEWIS?
The Center officially entered the space age in 1958 as NACA was reorganized into NASA by the National Aeronautics and Space Act. Under its new name, the NASA Lewis Research Center (LeRC) undertook additional responsibility in the fields of research and development in space power technology, launch vehicles and chemical and electric propulsion for space. The physical plant expanded again as the LeRC Cleveland site acquired an additional 139 acres and the Developmental Engineering Building, the Electric Propulsion Laboratory, the Energy Conversion Laboratory, and the Zero Gravity Research Facility were built.

https://www.nasa.gov/offices/history/ce ... rch_center

Seems to me that I uncovered an Alternate-Wang working with the NASA lab around that time.

I went to check my old TTB blog, surprised to find it was still there and this turned up: url]https://jansrose.blogspot.com/2013/03/b ... -6-10.html[/url]. It is part of a letter from TTB to Ed Hull, his future model maker, found in the archives of Gray Barker in the Charleston, W. VA, library. These records were located by a young, recently separated, Reconn Marine from West Virginia. "Plad" was another of the merry mystery chasers I met f2f in 2012.

(Noting for the record. Townsend mentions the unique qualities aluminum in this letter. Not saying that it is something that is connected or even relevant, but his consulting address he gave after his separation from the regular Navy in 1931, was in the same office building as the association of the Aluminum Manufacturers of America.)
Last edited by Jan Lundquist on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: Chantilly and Erie and Hull, pp 1-5

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Here are pages 1-5 of the Hull letter. Per Linda, Hull was the prototype maker for Townsend's Bahson lab saucer. I believe he worked on the "flame jet generator"-Meadville project as well.

At the time of this correspondence, Hull was living in London, stirring up press interest in anti-gravity research. Townsend thanks him, saying the resultant publicity inspired the French aeronautical firm to delegate Jacques Cornillion to find Townsend and extend a consulting offer.

On the subject of flying saucers, Townsend says "something very real is going on behind the scenes."

Then he proceeds to answer Hull's specific technical questions, in numerical order. While he was verbose in other areas, his answer to Number 1, asking for references on the Fuller brush man was nil. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Earlier in this letter, Townsend mentions finding materials at the library of the Pacific Aeronautical Institute in Santa Monica. Was that a pointer to tell Hull to look there for the missing information? Or did Townsend later use white out on this section before releasing it to Gray Barker>

There is no immediate return on a search for the PAI, and the only other time Townsend mentioned a library was in the period when he was recovering from the wound he received on his post war mission to validate the credentials of a German Scientist. He was seemingly unemployed, but he spent visiting "the library". (Source Linda, via Jo)

https://jansrose.blogspot.com/search?up ... results=12
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Let's get whackadoodle: Franklin Reno/Franklin Mead

Post by Jan Lundquist »

In 2007, a Wired Magazine article had this to say about Franklin Mead
For those of you not familiar with Franklin Mead, of the Air Force Research Laboratory, let me refresh your memory. Mead’s been around the "breakthrough propulsion" crowd for years, and even holds his own patent for a zero point energy invention. He was also the deep-thinking government official who funded the now infamous Air Force teleportation study (you can see the full PDF of the study here). Yep, that’s right, this was the study that looked at, among other methods, ways to transport objects through walls using psychic powers. That, too, could be a breakthrough for space travel, I suppose.
(The referenced PDF is AFRL-PR-ED-TR-2003-0034 Teleportation Physics Study is here: https://sgp.fas.org/eprint/teleport.pdf)

Not at all related that I can show, but hanging out in close enough proximity to Meadvile to be worth noting:

In the Moore/Berlitz version of the Philadelphia Experimet, a Dr. Franklin Reno was responsible for re-examining the math theories behind the invisibility experiment. As the section of their book reproduced at Unusual Science shows, they go to great lengths to explain that the mathematician chose this pseudonym from a "Franklin 3 Reno 8" roadsign once found on Rte. 62 in Western Pennsylvania. The town of Franklin itself is midway between Meadville and Reno.

Of all the possible pseudonyms, why would the mystery mathematician be given this one, which seem to point to a very specific geographic location?
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re:What happened later?

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Linking for possible relevance: https://jansrose.blogspot.com/2010/03/ ... -well.html,complete with Nate Cull's thoughtful replay.
natecull
Keeper of the Flame

Re: Chantilly and Erie and avenues left open

Post by natecull »

found in the archives of Gray Barker in the Charleston, W. VA, library. These records were located by a young, recently separated, Reconn Marine from West Virginia. "Plad" was another of the merry mystery chasers I met f2f in 2012.
I remember "Pladium" posting those papers! That was such a score!

What I'm not sure I mentioned at the time, is that as soon as I saw them I realised that I had read those same papers back in either the late 1980s or early 1990s, but had forgotten. (There's such a whirl of sources for Townsend Brown primary source documents that it frustrates me - I wish we had a central library of documents somewhere.)

Anyway, someone, or several someones, in the pre-Web "back of Popular Mechanics mail order fringe science advertisement" scene of that era had already been chasing up much the same Townsend Brown family trails that we have been, and selling the results in little photocopied document packs by mail order. One of those trails was the Gray Barker documents.

I've never been entirely sure who was the source of that particular one. I did a quick search in the back pages of 1980s Popular Science, and it seems that Rex Research, Information Unlimited, and Tesla Book Co were the major advertisers there. All three of those are still online.

On the way I noticed that Tesla Book Co were involved in publishing some very short papers by Rolf Schaffranke (in "The New Tesla Electromagnetics", 1986, mostly written by Tom Bearden, who I don't much care for). Shaffranke is more famous in Townsend Brown circles for writing the 1977 "Ether-Technology" which features circa 1973 letters from Townsend himself, as well as reprinting the 1952 Mason Rose article "The Flying Saucer" and mentioning some key names in Townsend's 1950s gravity research promotion circle. I think Schaffranke really is the main person who pushed Townsend's name into the "mainstream" of post-1970s fringe science, such as it is.

If you haven't yet read "Ether-Technology", here it is: https://archive.org/details/rho-sigma-e ... 5/mode/1up

Sidebar: Shaffranke is an interesting and elusive fellow. Unverifiable claims to have been present at Peenemunde and then a consultant for NASA aside, he seems to have been involved with the American Society of Dowsers in 1967, with Edgar Cayce's ARE in 1970, and George van Tassell 's organization circa 1970 and 1977, including writing an introduction to Heironomus Galen, which means he was in the Radionics circle, or one of them. (Borderland Sciences, who seem to have oddly close links to Townsend Brown, also were linked to Radionics.)

I guess the question I have is: why were a lot of psychic and Contactee type organizations so interested in Townsend Brown? As well as major-league rocket scientists and spies? That's quite a diverse collection of fans that he attracted; I imagine they wouldn't all have sat well in the same room together.

To reinforce my assertion about just what a vortex of Townsend-Adjacent Weirdness both Schaffranke and Borderland were (and in fact so closely linked as to be one vortex), here's the Borderland journal for May-June 1978. Right next to an obituary for George Tassell himself.

http://iapsop.com/archive/materials/jou ... n_1978.pdf
"ETHER-TECHNOLOGY: A RATIONAL APPROACH TO GRAVITY CONTROL”

"One of your Associates suggested I call your attention to my privately printed book, "Ether-Technology", which has been very well received in England and her former colonies, and elsewhere in Europe where experiments already conducted are presently under evaluation by Japanese interests, by Messerschmidt-Bolkow-Blohm in West Germany, which is closely associated with Sud Aviation in France, of SST-Concorde fame.

"From what I have been able to learn about Victor Schauberger's (implosion vortex) model and the writings of his engineer son, who is still working in Austria, I am certain Victor stumbled more or less by accident upon the Ether-propulsion mode when his first model went through the ceiling of the aircraft hangar. However, this occurred by the end of the war (World War II) and certainly was not used in any kind of secret weapon. Nor has it been used ever since, to my knowledge.

"The U.S. Navy has presumably already used Radionics for the experimental location of submarines. I learned this recently while in London. Lt Col Tom Bearden, Army Missile Center, Huntsville, Alabana has a new book which could stir up interest in that sort of thing."

Rolf Schaffranke
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Mr. Schaffranke writes under the pen name Rho Sigma". His book is published at $5.75 a copy by Tarohelm Press, PO Box 7, Lakemont, Georgia 30552. We are adding a copy to the BSRF Reference Library and look forward to studying it ourselves. We remind you of the BSRF brochure, No. 2-Q, on Victor Schauberger’s Ether-motor, "Implosion Instead of Explosion", illustrated, $2.00
It's an interesting claim about the US Navy and Radionics and submarines. It might even be true. However with this group of excitable people, it's not necessarily true. However, nor would it be a difficult thing for someone somewhere in the Navy to have done.

I don't really get the Schauberger thing, it's always seemed nonsense to me and remains so (and nonsense without even a clear connection to electromagnetic energy of any kind), but this is definitely where his name, along with that of Tesla, gets linked with Townsend Brown in the fringe literature.

And of course Schaffranke turns up in Christopher Bird's "Secret Life of Plants" (1973) (in association with Hieronymus, of course), linking him to Bird's particular military-psi-adjacent weirdness vortex. But again, all these vortexes are so close and overlapping as to largely be one vortex.
A German-born engineer, Rolf Schaffranke, working as a propulsion expert for American corporations contracting with NASA in Huntsville,
Alabama, who as a young student watched the launching of the first man-made rocket, the V-2, from the secret German base at Peenemunde, wrote of Hieronymus’ experiment: “Sounds absolutely crazy. Yet it really happened. Numerous observers are firmly convinced that the experiment is repeatable. Repeatable anywhere, any time, with as many witnesses present as desired.”
Nate
Going on a journey, somewhere far out east
We'll find the time to show you, wonders never cease