Townsend Brown Lighting Project 1949 Honolulu

Is the forum really open? After THIRTEEN YEARS?
Phil Young
Space Cadet
Spam Prevention: Yes

Townsend Brown Lighting Project 1949 Honolulu

Post by Phil Young »

I was going through Kitselman stuff from the late 1940s in Kauai, Hi, USA and came across the piece below. Not sure if image will display

Last edited by Phil Young on Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Schatzkin
The White Rabbit

Re: Townsend Brown Lighting Project 1949 Honolulu

Post by Paul Schatzkin »

I approved the post but the image you uploaded didn't come through. I'll have to look under the hood and see if there is something I need to toggle in the settings.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, author of 'The Man Who Mastered Gravity' https://amz.run/6afz
It's "a multigenerational project." What's your hurry?
"We will just sail away from the Earth, as easily as this boat pushed away from the dock" - TTB
Phil Young
Space Cadet

Post by Phil Young »

Oddly if you right click on image you can open it in a new tab and it displays fine.

Okay I fixed the problem. It is worth noting that any image files shared from google drive dont work in the image system on a phpBB forum, this is because the shareable link is a web page link not and image link (which must end in .jpg or similar). You can add a shared google drive image between the insert url feature but then you just get a clickable link. What I did is to house the picture on a different web site and use the link.
Phil Young
Space Cadet

Post by Phil Young »

Another image from, the Kauai period. showing Brown's wife. The rest of the article is simply about cookery.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Laughing at the Josephine photo. I still make that bosqiol cobbler.

Thank you, Phil. Did you note that the report of the lighting project was received via radiotelephone? Quite high-tech for the time.

I also smiled at the note that the pineapple growing lights, turned on for ten minutes at midnight, were focused on the far side of the fields... nuttin out there but the vast Pacific ocean. And maybe some Skyhook instrumentation balloons.
After launching equipment for Aerobee rockets was installed[2] at Long Beach Naval Shipyard in February 1949, she steamed to equatorial waters off the South American coast and launched two Aerobees. These launchings provided information on the earth's radiation belt.[1]

On 1 July 1949, Norton Sound headed for the geomagnetic equator 1,500 miles (2,400 km) south of Hawaii, and conducted tests with seventeen Skyhook balloons and nine smaller balloon clusters, all carrying scientific instrumentation packages.[1]
natecull
Keeper of the Flame

Post by natecull »

I also smiled at the note that the pineapple growing lights, turned on for ten minutes at midnight, were focused on the far side of the fields... nuttin out there but the vast Pacific ocean. And maybe some Skyhook instrumentation balloons.
Interesting! High altitude observation balloons are suddenly in the news again this week, for some reason...

Reading that first article, have we researched who "Erich Spillner, agriculturist" (supervising the Grove Farm program while Townsend Brown was supervising the Lihue plantation program), "Dr Leonard D Baver, director of the HSPA (Hawaiian Sugar Planters' Association) experiment station", and "Dr G O Burr, head of the station's physiology and biochemistry department" were?

Edit: Erich Spillner, Leonard D Baver and George O Burr do seem to be legitimate long-term Hawaiian agricultural scientists. All three names appear a decade later in the "Proceedings of the Hawaiian Academy of Science, Annual Report, 1958-1959".

https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/ ... 80/content

Nate
Going on a journey, somewhere far out east
We'll find the time to show you, wonders never cease
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Thank you, Nate. Though Baver sounds like a name adopted by a troll or bot of the "English is not my first language" variety, he was quite a mover and a shaker in the Hawaiian Academy of Sciences.
Baver.png
taken from your link.

And in the continued spirit of that which is old that is new again, I see that one of the "big" donors to the Academy in 1958 was the Hawaiian Weed Conference.

Note: for another suggestion of what else Townsend might have been doing in Hawaii, see this post Re: The dreaded UFO topic: Field Propulsion