Somebody say " Bismuth" ?

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
kevin.b
The Navigator

Re: Somebody say " Bismuth" ?

Post by kevin.b »

I went off chasing this stuff with cola in mind, and wondering about mind.
that led me bizzarely to laser -ablation as it would?, but that sent me off on a totally wacky thought trail, IF when a laser dissolves a material, it turns it into a plasma, I fink, so what happens to the plasma?
Here we are sat on a rock, made I consider by implosion of plasma currents, so are the plasma currents the result of a kind of laser ablation?
And we are a result?
Maybe I should drink some of that stuff?
, no thanks, tea for me.
My best dowsing rods are carbon fibre, I wonder if they do a fine wire bismuth?
Off now on a thought trail about the Egyptian chariots, those shown flying, wood and gold, but do we know the true composition of the gold, perhaps an alloy?
Who said bismuth?, oh yes, the bus conducter.tickets please.

kevin
fibonacci is king
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

kevin.b wrote:<SNIP>
My best dowsing rods are carbon fibre, I wonder if they do a fine wire bismuth?
<SNIP>
Who said bismuth?, oh yes, the bus conducter.tickets please.

kevin
Kevin,

If you read my post from the eBay site, I snipped and highlighted a portion of it:
eBay Item: 230302412988 wrote:<SNIP>
This rod is cast and there are numerous small surface wrinkles as can be seen in the scan of a similar rod. The internal structure of the rod is crystaline and the rod will not bend but rather break if subjected to uneven pressure such as from being dropped. It is shipped in a protective wooden tube.
And from Andrew's post:
Chris Knight wrote: 4) High electrical resistance (resistance to flow of electrons),
Kevin, your carbon fiber rods are good conductors. This material is almost the opposite. I think it would point everywhere but where you wanted it to point. Sort of like the un-compass that eBay site talked about.

Hope this helps!

MagicBill
P.S. I bought a piece of bismuth because it was low cost enough. 5 grams is not much but it may be enough to play around with...
P.P.S. It is also interesting to note that:
http://www.answers.com/topic/bismuth wrote:However, the primary source of bismuth in the United States is as a by-product in refining of copper and lead ores.
It is also a replacement for lead...
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

htmagic,
I realise that the obvious would be to percieve that the dowsing rods are conductive, but I never think the obvious.
I was thinking more in terms of altering, locally, wizards wand?
Think in terms of an object discovered near stonehenge, the obvious is to call it a dagger, but not I, it had 150,000, and that is the correct number, gold pins fitted to it, just what the gold is( alloy) I am not sure, but WHY bother to fit that many pins to a dagger, still I suppose they didn't have TV to distract them?
Kevin
fibonacci is king
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Kevin,

I don't know why it would have that many pins, an antenna array perhaps?
I just looked at Wikipedia and look at their picture of a bismuth crystal:
Perhaps this is the capstone on Mikado's electrogravitic pyramid?

MagicBill
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Post by greggvizza »

htmagic wrote:Kevin,

I don't know why it would have that many pins, an antenna array perhaps?
I just looked at Wikipedia and look at their picture of a bismuth crystal:
Perhaps this is the capstone on Mikado's electrogravitic pyramid?

MagicBill
Wait a minute. Did you think this out? We already have a pretty good handle on one of the 3 sides of the tetrahedron, the side that connects electricity with magnetism. We use a myriad of electromagnetic devices every day and have all the associated math to explain their functioning. If bismuth were the capstone then it would be intrinsically linked to electromagnetism and I have not noticed bismuth as being an essential element to the functioning of these types of devices.

GV
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

greggvizza wrote:<SNIP>
Wait a minute. Did you think this out? We already have a pretty good handle on one of the 3 sides of the tetrahedron, the side that connects electricity with magnetism. We use a myriad of electromagnetic devices every day and have all the associated math to explain their functioning. If bismuth were the capstone then it would be intrinsically linked to electromagnetism and I have not noticed bismuth as being an essential element to the functioning of these types of devices.

GV
GV,

Well, bismuth is a semiconductor when it is in thin layers. I noticed bismuth (Bi) is the next element past lead (Pb). Above lead is tin (Sn) and above bismuth is antimony (Sb). Now these materials are found in electronics, lead and tin normally found in solder. Now bismuth is right next to polonium, which is highly radioactive with a structure similar to bismuth. So bismuth is not radioactive but polonium is.

Now then there is Andrew's statement earlier about bismuth:
Chris Knight wrote:Diamagnetic materials have a relative magnetic permeability that is less than 1, thus a magnetic susceptibility which is less than 0, and are therefore repelled by magnetic fields. The most strongly diamagnetic material is bismuth = −1.66×10−4.

Superconductors may be considered to be perfect diamagnets ( = −1), since they expel all fields from their interior due to the Meissner effect.

Now we know room temperature semiconductors to be the "Holy Grail" of the electronics industry.

But you got me thinking and I went back to the original article Linda posted and there, on the first line:
Watching a crystal of bismuth metal in a powerful magnetic field, researchers discover new states of electrons that behave like light

A team of researchers at Princeton University's Materials Research Science and Engineering Center has observed electrons moving through a crystal of bismuth metal behaving like light.
So Gregg, if I had a "do-over", I'd say the capstone on top of Mikado's pyramid is light. Light has a gravitic component (ever see a Crookes radiometer?), and is also electromagnetic in nature...

MagicBill
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Opening disclosure - Any names have been changed to prevent any further castigations being thrown about.

I will make this simple - the triangle only shows relationships.

They are:

1. Electromagnetic
2. Electrogravitic
3. Magnetogravitic

Recent formulas and hypothesis tended to apply more to the third.

The capstone - I know what is over the three sides (capstone) but I don't have it all yet. I know of only one above and that answer is patently obvious, however, I believe that there are two more items yet to find. As Mr. arc has said, some things taste better when you cook them yourself. I don't know about that statement but a sandwich always taste better when somebody else makes it (except for Lasagna).

Mikado
Last edited by Mikado14 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Post by greggvizza »

htmagic,

If we take away bismuth do we still have funtioning electrmagnetics?
If we take away light do we still have functioning elecromagnetics?

GV
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

fibonacci is king
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

greggvizza wrote:htmagic,

If we take away bismuth do we still have funtioning electrmagnetics?
If we take away light do we still have functioning elecromagnetics?

GV
Mr. Vizza,

So nice to see you posting on a regular basis. One comment I have is that if you take away light you will have a hole in the Electromagnetic spectrum.

Hell, that comment probably don't mean crap....

I 'm going to finish my lunch.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
AM2
Senior Cadet

Post by AM2 »

This thread may not be the right place to talk about downloads, but since it is about bismuth let me put it over here.

Ms. Brown, you wanted to explore the manifold ways in which downloads can manifest. Below follows a further addition to your collection.

Last week or some ten days ago the Hall effect caught my attention. I have already forgotten what was so fascinating about it and neither then nor now do I fully understand it, but the whole thing occured during one of my "download" sessions. Today while casually browsing around the intertubes I came accross an interesting link about the exploitation of the Hall effect for electroenergetic and electronic purposes. I must emphasize that nowhere in the link the word bismuth was used. Only after I clicked on the link and the website proper opened I saw the information in it's entirety i. e.:
Radio World (January 29, 1927), p. 11

"Tubeless Receiver Claimed by Professor, Using Bismuth & Copper"

Recently it was announced at Mercer University (Macon GA), that the Westinghouse Electric & manufacturing Co. had offered Dr. Palmer H. Craig, head of the physics department of the university, $100,000 for a new device which is supposed to replace vacuum tubes as amplifiers and detectors.

The device is called an "electromagnetic detector and amplifier" and consists of a series of bismuth plates stacked in a pile and interlaced with copper wires. The bismuth plates are protected by a coating of sulfur because bismuth, a very brittle substance, is likely to crumble.

The process is described in the scientist’s thesis as follows:

"The author is at present using this additive principle in an application of the Hall effect to rectification of alternating current, with a method similar to that described by Descoudres.

"The additive principle used in this connection produces a Hall potential of several volts in low fields with thin bismuth films, and thus gives the hall effect a practical importance as a rectifier, especially in radio and similar applications."

Source: http://www.rexresearch.com/craig/craig.htm
After reading the title of the above article immediately the discussion about bismuth on this forum came to my mind.

AM
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

AM2,
Which took me to,
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=3207
And never forget that Dr Brown was,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBUr1pSWTVI
Kevin
fibonacci is king
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Selenium rectifers made a splash in the early 30's and used steel plates that were coated with bismuth or nickel. They replaced vacuum tube rectifiers for they could put out High amounts of current as opposed to a rectifier valve (I used that for all you Brits including those from the long white cloud). When they went bad it was as if someone broke wind. They resembled stacked square crackers. I also think that they may have used aluminum as a plate as well but I am not sure.

This is not new and I find it truly amazing how things are....what did Dr. Brown say?....Oh yeah, returning...returning

Mikado
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Needles and Haystacks, Dept. of Finding

Post by Paul S. »

Linda Brown wrote: It might be that you will decided not to build another structure but at least some others will know where the hay is stacked. <g>
I get your point here, but I think you are mixing metaphors.

We are looking for needles AND building things that require straw. We just need to be careful which pile the fresh straw goes on. Preferably not the one that we've pretty well got near the bottom of.

And yeah, somebody did say "bismuth," according to my notes at least three years ago, maybe longer. I'm trying to remember now if the word was ever used in Dr. Brown's notebooks. Could be. In which case the use goes back a lot farther than three years...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Mikado,

Yeah, Wikipedia says one layer is the bismuth or nickel on an aluminum plate. The other side is coated with the selenium. And they could be discs stacked or squares stacked liked you said.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium_rectifiers wrote:When they failed they generated a nasty stink that let the repair technician know what the problem was. They were replaced by silicon rectifiers which exhibited lower forward voltage drop, lower cost, and higher reliability. They are still manufactured for exact replacement purposes but are not designed into new equipment.
Linda, if you looked into your Dad's equipment, you might have seen these types of rectifiers. I was on a facility in Alabama where the elevator controls had banks of selenium rectifiers. Still working fine after all these years...

But it wasn't selenium rectifiers using bismuth that got us on the start of the trail. It was light and possibly electrogravitic communication. Sometimes the hounds need to pick up the scent of the fox. Speaking of which, are you resting well, Mr, Trickfox? More healing energies your way, sir!

MagicBill