The "real" character of Thomas Townsend Brown

The website is all about his life and work; here, let us focus on defining and celebrating his outstanding personal qualities.
htmagic
Senior Officer

The "real" character of Thomas Townsend Brown

Post by htmagic »

Folks,

I am surprised no one else brought this up but I will and I will start a new thread in the process.Have you ever wondered what the "real" Thomas Townsend Brown (TTB) was like? Other than his friends and family, most are left in the dark as to his real character.

But we have TTB's notebooks. And they are in his own hand. And from handwriting analysis, we can get a glimpse into the "real" character of Dr. Brown's life. Just as one has good days and bad, and so do we all, the handwriting can reveal traits of our character and personality. For instance, those that cross their "t" with a low bar means that they had a low self esteem. If the "t" is crossed with a bar that is predominately to the right and ends with a spear, it is a sign of sarcasm.

So this thread will examine the handwriting of Thomas Townsend Brown and I will attempt to characterize Dr. Brown as you may have never seen before. And Linda, I hope these thoughts will give you happy memories of your father.

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
htmagic
Senior Officer

Dr. Brown - Handwriting analysis - reading #1

Post by htmagic »

Here is Dr. Brown's first entry in Notebook #1. Leesburg, VA, October 7, 1955. And this is page 12 of his notebook.

If you look at the "f" in the word "of ", you will see that it crosses and this means Dr. Brown is a fluid thinker. He can think fast on his feet and this may be why some saw him as "gifted". I'm sure this gave him much insight and it makes sense when he said "things will be alright, Sweetie!".

The "t"s are crossed in generally in the middle which is average. This can change depending upon the day and if crossed higher would show a higher self-esteem. Some of this is printing so it is difficult to read and less accurate. But if you look at the "t"s in "weight" in all three cases they are identical. Beginning vertical strokes on the lower case "t" that go down and curve to the right (no beginning upstroke) indicates directness. This person wants people to stop beating around the bush and get to the point. Does not like to be slowed down.

Now remember, this is for one day only. If other notebooks show the same thing on other days, then this would be a persistent character trait.

I wish some of this was blown up so I could read it better.

Oh, and by the way, I'm using a Grapho-Deck to do the readings.

I hope this helps!

MagicBill
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Re: The "real" character of Thomas Townsend Brown

Post by Linda Brown »

Bill,

Thankyou very much for this idea and your example. I think that it is a wonderful tool for Paul and the rest of us. Handwriting is not something that can be "weeded".... at least in this case .... so I think that you might all get a really good snap shot of what was going on in my Dads life ( and maybe in his head) at different parts of his life. I encourage all of you to follow up on this.

I trust in the fact that what is uncovered will be a glimpse into the true human behind the name and the reputation. Good reports, mediocre reports, negative reports ... all are important. Paul needs to know what the real man was like and looking at his unique handwriting is one of the ways to do it.

More! More! With all my thanks! Can we have various samples from various years? That might be interesting too because all of us know how much a person can be different in his/her outlook through a lifetime.

Paul? Is this something that we can spend a little bit of time on? I believe you may have some really good examples of his handwriting through the years. I would especially like to see how it changed when the tension level in his life increased, or his health changed, or the people around him changed. A wonderful window into this story. Thankyou again Bill! Linda
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

Another thought.

I have been called upon sometimes to identify some of my Dads writings. Now I am no handwriting expert and I guess I might have been fooled once or twice but there were always things that he did to "mark" his writing. I noted with some amusement that one of his "marks" is shown on this example.

Anybody see the anomaly?

Look at weightlessness. One word, unbroken. Look at the examples of " weight". Notice that he never joins the t to the word. funny huh. Linda
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Linda Brown wrote:Another thought.

I have been called upon sometimes to identify some of my Dads writings. Now I am no handwriting expert and I guess I might have been fooled once or twice but there were always things that he did to "mark" his writing. I noted with some amusement that one of his "marks" is shown on this example.

Anybody see the anomaly?

Look at weightlessness. One word, unbroken. Look at the examples of " weight". Notice that he never joins the t to the word. funny huh. Linda
Linda,

That was exactly my point in my previous message. Those "t"s show directness or to the point. Later on, you'll see examples where the "t" is crossed and this "t" bar is long. Long enough to carry over to the next "t" (e.g., as in the word "that" or a word with 2 "t"s in it).

I am most interested in the "o"s, "a"s, and "e"s as these can give insights to his character.
If this writing is actual size and if Dr. Brown wrote in extremely small writing. People that write tiny have the ability to shut everything out of their mind and fully concentrate on one thing at a time. Often, on a first impression, these people seem reserved. Intense focus.

MagicBill
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

NagicBill,

The size shown would have been typical of Dads scale on most things. I never realized that it was " small" by some comparisons, but I guess that you are right. He developed that style very early and maintained pretty much the same "look" throughout his life.

For myself. I generally print. <g> Linda
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Linda Brown wrote:NagicBill,

The size shown would have been typical of Dads scale on most things. I never realized that it was " small" by some comparisons, but I guess that you are right. He developed that style very early and maintained pretty much the same "look" throughout his life.

For myself. I generally print. <g> Linda
Linda,

This is for folks that print. I noticed your Dad printed as well in his notebooks.
http://www.handwritinginsights.com/printing.html wrote:NTERPRETATION OF PRINTING

What most people refer to as printing sometimes is really a combination of both printing and cursive script. This combination sometimes indicates ingenuity and good problem solving abilities on the part of the writer. The analyst needs to recognize what printing or cursive writing is used and also the picture values within the sample before making this evaluation.

The writer who prints is basically one who is a constructive and practical thinker who relates to the mechanics and material/ tangible aspects of life. Printing provides a cover up for his true feelings. Harmonious printing indicates a person who thinks in a building block fashion. He is able to take many small details and combine them into a coordinated whole. He possesses self control and good organizational abilities. Inharmonious printing indicates a person who is fragmented in his thinking and has difficulty relating to others. He can be sharp and unfeeling in social interactions.
Also the size of may not be "small" but "medium". If his signature was medium as well, that says he fit well in a crowd and was practical, realistic, and balanced. Works well with others or by oneself.

Linda, does any of this ring true with you or your Dad?

MagicBill
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

htmagic,
I print mainly because I am left handed, and somewhat dyslexic.
I did ask earlier if Dr Brown was left handed, but Mr twigsnapper said no, right handed.
left handers cover over their field of vision of what they are writing.
It has always puzzled me why I print though has I have excellent hand to eye coordination.
But as far as words are concerned it looks more like chinese if I write.

There is something else about Dr Browns writings and drawings, it's a sort of connection, a feeling as though you are been led?
Just imagine if he did crack time, he will have read all of this, and whatever else we come up with, how would you cope with that?
And if he did crack time, then it doesn't exist as we now percieve, so this may all be known to all of us already, which is what i mean about there been SOMETHING about Dr Brown, SOMETHING.
And ALL I have to do is think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBe85UKa1GQ
Kevin
fibonacci is king
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

Paul,

I wanted to thank you especially for remembering my parents anniversary on the 8th. I thought about them too but had decided I wasn't going to bring it up keeping those thoughts sort of private and to myself.

But I nearly cried reading about their wedding. I had forgotten how beautifully you had captured their story through your own words and through the local society columnist " words of the times".

I just wanted to point out a few things to the folks out there who haven't had a chance to read Pauls book yet. There were some very telling things in this story. Things that speak to the " character" of this couple. Things that will tell you strongly and purely more about my parents perhaps than many other things. The old saying .... actions speak louder.

Notice that they had kept their wedding plans secret ( or as secret as is possible in a small Ohio town!) Note that they walked up together to the minister ( who was a family friend more than their particular minister) Note that there was no large wedding party, no bridesmaids, matrons, best men .... none of the trappings of what I am sure could have been the wedding of the year in Zanesville. Note that Dad personally had attended to the music to be played and made sure that it was delivered in a very novel way and in a way that I am sure meant alot to him. Notice that they were as close to water as they could get without being in it themselves.

Note that his best man was a dog.

Notice that Mother was dressed in a " simple grey travelling suit. (I am hoping that before the book is published that Paul will find another picture that is a favorite of mine .... Mother ducking away past the usual shower of rice ....a lovely shot.) She never stopped travelling really and even their many separations were never of the heart.

El Nido was the name of the little cottage built right on the edge of that massive Hawthorne pool. Dad did not give Mother expensive jewelry to mark the occasion but a simple pottery teapot with a mint green glaze and the words in gold script across it .... EL Nido. Before she died she left instructions that the teapot would be buried with her and during her life she never left it behind.

And the sight of them sitting on that Hammock together really touched me. Dad smiling, I can tell, in that whimsical way, holding her close ... " remember Dear, You'll ALWAYS have me!"

Thank you Paul. FOR EVERYTHING. Linda
skyfish
Senior Officer

Post by skyfish »

Yes...thanks Paul. Again...drawing us closer. This thought comes to mind...At every moment we have the opportunity to create something that will exist in all time...forever...really!!! I have 2 dogs...cosmo and yogi...
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

skyfish,
I have two dogs,
pippa and tessa.
Patterdale and Collie
kevin
fibonacci is king
skyfish
Senior Officer

Post by skyfish »

Kevin,
My two are rottweilers...and so smart and loving...not the stereotype...they have good hearts and souls. Good hearts and souls count for a lot in my book. I think...know...there are some here! : )
Mark
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Post by Radomir »

And for those of you whom, like me, missed the significance or would have to look it up, El Nido means the nest.

A mobile nest, as it turned out. Ample in its own comforts, a safe harbor wherever they may have found themselves.

May we all be so blessed.

R.
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Ms Brown,

If you are reading this than I would assume your computer is operational, of course you could travel to your local library as well.

I suppose I know what you will be doing on December 12. You will be getting a quasi birthday present. The remake of one of your Dad's favorite movies will be released.

Mikado

(at least according to the local paper)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Post by Radomir »

Ok, I'll bite, huh? Local paper?

R.