PEOPLE & PLACES & DATES

Here is where we focus on separating the facts from the fiction, identifying what we KNOW from what what we DON'T KNOW about the life and work of Townsend Brown
htmagic
Senior Officer

PEOPLE & PLACES & DATES

Post by htmagic »

This section is posted as a result of a request for a new pool.
This pool is where you can discuss people, places, and their times of occurence.
From this, we might be able to piece together a timeline so our dear Rose can follow it! :wink:
Actually, it is a great idea and don't forget a woman suggested it! :lol:

Since I do not have authority to do a post from the Main Index, it is under here and Just The Facts, Ma'am.

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Re: PEOPLE & PLACES & DATES

Post by Linda Brown »

THIS IS WONDERFUL. THANK YOU SO MUCH. GIVES "SELF ORGANIZING" A WHOLE NEW LOOK!

I have been thinking alot about Floyd Odlum recently for some reason, not sure why . But I would like to put his name up there to see how his " social and business network" interacts with other things that we have talked about here.

I know that he was exceptionally low key maybe ruthless businessman in his actions but was a wonderful and ( at least to me) a very kind man. I recently told Paul of a conversation that I had with him while we were sitting by the super heated pool at his ranch. He asked me a very direct question ( which Paul may be planning to use in the book so I won't go into details) but it was one of those questions people sometimes use to delve into the real personality of the person they are talking with. Sort of a short cut interview maybe? Anyway, he seemed pleased with my answer.

At the time I had NO IDEA how powerful this man was though some of the Generals at that meeting treated him with the utmost respect....and it is obvious to me that if things needed to be done in Washington, he certainly had the connections.

During the meetings with Odlum in the desert in 1967 we were also spending time with Brad Shank and also Beau Kitselman. But I never saw all three of those gentlemen in the same place at the same time. Perhaps that was intentional.

Absolutely positive that the Odlums had Ikes ear whenever they wanted it. In fact Jackie used to drive him around the nearby golf course, much to his securitys dismay. So how does all of that add up? Linda
Rose
Senior Cadet

Gunn

Post by Rose »

I'm bringing these messages over from Project Pegasus, so we have a shared information base.
by Langley on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:13 am

Rose wrote:\ The book alone would not be so bad, but then we dig up names like Eisey and Gunn here on the forum that appear nowhere in the book.

Any thoughts, anyone?

rose

Gunn is in the book Rose. At the time of Brown's enlistment, Gunn was Hulbert's assistant. Brown worked under Hulbert. Pdf page 89 of the draft. Chapter 26. Gunn's role and importance expanded rapidly.

Langley
Senior Officer
Linda Brown wrote:Rose and Langley,

I do remember that when Dad first set up his work there at the NRL I guess there was a certain amount of animosity (maybe jealously) coming from Gunn regarding Dads work and ideas. Dad told me that it came back to him that Gunn had said " Townsend Browns project " isn't worth the powder to blow it up". And of course being new to the organization and being fairly thinskinned at the time Dads response, even years later was " I never could figure why he felt that way." And his feelings were really hurt by Gunns response. I think that he got over it <g>,

All of this is in either his notebook or in the short autobiography that Paul has now.

This brings up another thought. Maybe we need a thread that is simply for " Things mentioned in the forum but not in the book", As you guys said the amount of material which might ( or might not be) relevant which is discussed in the forum is massive and half of the time none of us can remember if Paul has already mentioned these things or not. Would that work?

Paul will be in Texas for a few days isn't it strange how this forum sort of explodes with new information when it seems the perfessor is out of the room! Linda
Rose wrote:I remember that story, Linda, but I had forgotten that it was Gunn who said it;. Given that your father was wounded enough by that attitude to mention it years later, can we assume thenthat Gunn was not one of Dr. Brown's future patrons or supporters?

Gunn's early years at the NRL:

I BELIEVE that during the time (32-33) TTB's politican friends were writing letters to have him kept at the NRL, and being turned down, even though TTB's prior fitness reports were nothing but superior. Did Gunn play a role in that?

Did he later change his mind?

I'm going to copy and paste these messages on the wall under a Gunn Thread

rose
Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god.
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Linda Brown wrote:During the meetings with Odlum in the desert in 1967 we were also spending time with Brad Shank and also Beau Kitselman. But I never saw all three of those gentlemen in the same place at the same time. Perhaps that was intentional.

Absolutely positive that the Odlums had Ikes ear whenever they wanted it. In fact Jackie used to drive him around the nearby golf course, much to his securitys dismay. So how does all of that add up? Linda
Linda,

After reading this, I might have to agree that maybe at least two of the three might have been Caroline operatives. We talked about compartmentalism before and the Caroline group (TCG) would not want all three spies in one place at the same time.

Now I started digging some into the Atlas Utilities Company from the Wikipedia link. Later, apparently the company name was changed to Atlas Corporation, which was a conglomerate of different businesses. Now you can bet that if Odlum had Ike's ear, he also had his pocketbook of his favorite uncle (Sam)! Atlas Corporation would probably have had a bunch of Government contracts, especially if all the Generals are k*ssing his butt.

But I can't find much of Atlas Corporation nowadays. Did this multi-million dollar corporation established in 1929 give up the ghost? ATLAS CORPORATION (ATLR.PK) is now trading as penny stock, and I think it is defunct. Now there is an Atlas Corporation in business since 1946, but it is based in Canada. Here once again, Canada raises her head. We have seen others from Canada so maybe there are ties there?
http://www.atlascorp.com/ wrote:In business since 1946, The Atlas Group of Companies has been designing and implementing, flexible, integrated, construction solutions, for a wide range of industries, institutions, and organizations. We've continued to build from our strengths, and our history, to become a respected and valued partner in the construction industry. Our success reflects our wishes for the future. And with our success, comes yours.
Now I also found reference to an Atlas Aircraft Corporation, but I'm not sure it was Odlum's corporation. Wikipedia doesn't say, but they do say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Aircraft_Corporation wrote:The Atlas Aircraft Corporation of South Africa (also known as Atlas Aviation) was established in 1965 to manufacture a number of sophisticated military aircraft and avionics equipment for the South African Air Force, as well as for export. It was established primarily to circumvent an international arms embargo commenced in 1963 against the South African government because of its Apartheid policies.
Which would put this company in the time frame of your desert visits in 1967. If Odlum's company was formed to bring in military arms to 'circumvent an international arms embargo commenced in 1963 against the South African government because of its Apartheid policies', no wonder Generals were k*ssing Odlum's butt...

Now one more thing I found about Atlas and I'm not sure it is the same Atlas but this comment:
http://www.oha.doe.gov/cases/nuclear/vea0014.htm wrote:In 1982, the cognizant DOE office issued a report setting forth the results of its visits to mill sites and consultation with mill site owners. The 1982 report includes the results of a site visit to Atlas’ mill near Moab, Utah (hereinafter the Moab mill site), including Atlas’ comments on the various suggested methodologies for determining the federal portion of the remediation costs.
So if this is the same Atlas, they operated a uranium mill in Moab, Utah. Now the plot thickens as Atlas may have been involved in uranium mining and processing, no doubt for atomic bombs and/or nuclear power. Eisenhower was probably big on nuclear power as was most everyone in the 1950s.

Now it was mentioned by Langley that Shank was the expert on filters. And they would have probably needed filters for uranium processing. Typically these are high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters that can remove at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 micrometers (µm) in diameter. Particles of this size are the most difficult to filter and are thus considered the most penetrating particle size (MPPS). Particles that are larger or smaller are filtered with even higher efficiency. Now these HEPA filters are usually made of paper or some woven mat of fibers and have to be changed as they load up with dust and contamination. Then they are expensive to dispose of because they have to be treated as radioactive waste. Furthermore, they require a pressure drop to operate and as the filter loads up with dirt and dust, the pressure drop gets higher and the fan has to work harder. If you father had an electrostatic filter that required no replaceable media (and the pressure drop was less than the HEPA filters), this would save companies lots of money. Now as I told Langley before, electrostatic precipitators (filters) don't work well on conductive solids (like metals).

This could be the tie between Atlas, Odlum, and your father with his air filter system. But I didn't find much more on Atlas Corporation...

Hope this helps!

MagicBill
htmagic
Senior Officer

Re: PEOPLE & PLACES & DATES - Atlas Mining

Post by htmagic »

Linda,

This is an interesting find about Atlas Minerals which operated a uranium mine in Moab, Utah.
http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/utah_today/utahsuraniumboom.html wrote:Utah's Uranium Boom

Raye C. Ringholz
Beehive History 16

It was the winter of 1949 in Houston, Texas. Charles Augustus Steen was twenty-eight years old. Fired as a geologist by the Standard Oil Company of Indiana for "rebellion against authority" and blacklisted throughout the petroleum industry, he was working as a carpenter to support a pregnant wife and three toddlers. But all the time he pounded nails the graduate of Texas School of Mines and Metallurgy dreamed of the day he could get back to his first love and go wildcatting for oil on his own. Maybe make a fortune. Then one December he picked up a copy of the Engineering and Mining Journal and knew his time had come. "Can Uranium Mining Pay?" a headline challenged. The accompanying story hailed a potential uranium boom evolving in the ragged badlands of the Colorado Plateau. ". . . Risks are being taken and profits are being made," the article stated. "This speaks well for the independent producers there because many of them are newcomers to the mining field, having been farmers, ranchers, fruit growers, etc. It should also be a challenge to experienced mining men to come into the area and do as well or better."

Uranium was suddenly the most critical material the United States had ever known. It fueled atomic weapons. It promised electrical power; gas-free operation of cars, planes, and locomotives; preservation of meat; and even distillation of sea water. Most important, a domestic supply of uranium was needed to maintain a nuclear edge in the cold war that was developing with Russia. But such a motherlode was nonexistent.

The Manhattan Project

America had been caught shorthanded during World War II, when the Manhattan Project, a top-secret branch of the U.S. Corps of Engineers (later reorganized as the civilian Atomic Energy Commission) was developing a lethal atomic bomb to end the hostilities. Fuel for this nuclear weapon was uranium. As our nation's own supply of the ore was severely limited, the project had to import most of the needed material from the Belgian Congo (Zaire) and a small amount from Canada.

The only known source of local uranium in those days was in the Four Corners area where Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico meet. In the early 1900s, after Madame Marie Curie isolated pure metal radium from uranium salts, the uranium-bearing pitchblende and yellow carnotite on the Colorado Plateau (once used as Indian war paint) triggered a rush of prospectors. The region became the primary source of Curie's "miracle element" until the advent of World War I.

On the heels of the radium boom, another ore came into prominence. Vanadium, a waste product of radium mines, was found to enhance the tensile strength, wearability, and elasticity of steel when added to the molten metal with iron. Production of warships, planes, and industrial machinery triggered a new mining fever on the Colorado Plateau. Fortune-hunters descended on redrock country once more to mine vanadium from the abandoned radium waste piles.

Some twenty-five years later, with the development of nuclear weaponry, the Manhattan Project calculated that there would be a small amount of uranium in the old radium-vanadium dumps. A highly secret operation to mine and mill these tailings for the precious uranium oxide commenced. Not until 1947, after Howard Balsley of Moab, Utah, and Fendall A. Sitton from Dove Creek, Colorado, went to Washington to convince bureaucrats of the possibility of a full-scale uranium industry on the Colorado Plateau did the AEC finally send out the call for prospectors.

Uranium Prices Guaranteed

Uncle Sam was desperate for the mineral and willing to pay for it. As the only legal purchaser of the ore, the Atomic Energy Commission established minimum prices, guaranteed the rates for ten years, and added a $10,000 bonus for each separate discovery and production of high-grade uranium from new deposits.

This was all that Charlie Steen needed. He bought a secondhand jeep and a broken-down drill rig and headed for the Colorado Plateau. After studying the reports of Manhattan Project geologists who charted the back country, he decided that a triangle drawn from Moab, Utah, on the west, Dove Creek, Colorado, near the Utah-Colorado border in the southeast, and Grand Junction, Colorado, to the north contained the heart of the action. Confident of his expertise as an oil geologist, he ignored established uranium prospecting guidelines drawn by federal geologists and was convinced that uranium could collect deep underground like reservoirs of oil and then leech upward into the Morrison Formation where most of the ore had been located. Consequently, instead of prospecting ridge lines, he looked for downward sloping, or anticlinal, structures behind existing claims where small amounts of uranium had been found.

Unlike most uranium prospectors, Steen did not own a Geiger counter to help locate hidden deposits. He rattled around the back country for almost two years, scrounging grubstakes from friends and family and moving his wife and four sons into tiny trailers and tarpaper shacks. Finally, in the spring of 1951 he staked twelve claims behind the old Big Buck Mine, which had been worked by Dan Hayes, Jim Bentley, and W. Y. Brewer--an area then labeled worthless by Manhattan Project engineers. Despite local ridicule over "Steen's Folly," he persisted. On July 6, 1952, Steen struck the biggest deposit of high-grade uranium ore in the country. Within the first six months his Mi Vida ("My Life") Mine, southeast of Moab in the Lisbon Valley, shipped a million dollars worth of ore that was so pure it assayed up to 87 percent uranium.

The Uranium Boom

Steen's strike triggered a mineral rush that rocked the entire Colorado Plateau. Shortly after announcement of the Mi Vida find, Vernon Pick, a middle-aged electrician from Minnesota, discovered the Delta Mine northwest of Hanksville. After blocking out approximately 300,000 tons of ore with an in-place value of forty dollars per ton, the Delta's monthly production averaged 1,500 tons. Two years later Pick sold his mine to international financier Floyd Odlum for $9 million and a custom-converted PBY airplane. Odlum renamed the mine the Hidden Splendor, but soon after his purchase the highly touted vein pinched out. Local wags then dubbed the mine "Odlum's Hidden Blunder."

UTAH URANIUM PRODUCTION

Selected Years Pounds Value

1955 2,219,000 $ 9,454,000
1960 6,539,000 $ 27,843,000
1970 1,635,000 $ 6,742,000
1980 2,397,000 $ 68,248,000
1982 2,895,000 $ 111,080,000
1987 5,320,000 $ 145,610,000

Pratt Seegmiller of Marysville remembered some yellow rock he'd seen in the back country years before. After racking his brain to remember the site, he staked the Freedom and Prospector claims, which proved to be among Utah's richest deposits.

Joe Cooper, a road contractor in Monticello, partnered with his father-in-law Fletcher Bronson and earned over $25 million on the Happy Jack Mine.

Texan Blanton W. Burford and his partners sliced into an eight-foot vein of high-grade uranium ore while bulldozing a road into their claims on Rattlesnake Mountain near Moab.

School teachers, insurance brokers, used car salesmen, and shoe clerks around the nation converged on the Colorado Plateau to seek their fortune. Even a group of high school students staked forty claims and later sold them for $15,000. By the mid-1950s, almost six hundred producers on the Colorado Plateau were shipping uranium ore. Employment in the industry topped 8,000 workers in the mines and mills. Another bonanza in penny uranium stock established Salt Lake City as "The Wall Street of Uranium." The AEC had turned the tap and caused a flood.

But by 1964, after producing almost 9 million tons of ore valued at $250 million, the Atomic Energy Commission announced that "it is no longer in the interest of the Government to expand production of uranium concentrate." The market was saturated. There were 71 million tons of reserves--enough to satisfy United States needs through the next four years. For the first time, private enterprise was invited to purchase uranium oxide and the AEC put federal buying on hold. During the late 1960s the industry rallied again with mining by large companies for developing nuclear plants. But the furor was never the same. Ostensibly, the uranium boom was over.
It is ironic that Odlum sold most of his stock before the crash in 1929 and 23 years later Steen sold his mine to Odlum before it petered out... Looks like they were both lucky in business timings...

I colored the Four Corners text in red because I seem to remember something said about where the four corners meet although I can't find the original post. Although I can't find the original post, here is a reference to Four Corners...
MagicBill
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

htmagic wrote: I colored the Four Corners text in red because I seem to remember something said about where the four corners meet although I can't find the original post. Although I can't find the original post, here is a reference to Four Corners...
MagicBill
"Where the four points meet" if we are talking about the "Rain on the Roof" papers.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Rose
Senior Cadet

Gunn II

Post by Rose »

Ross Gunn's Timeline
(taken from obitary by P. Abelson)

1897 Born Cleveland Ohio, D. 1966

Avid radio hobbyist who built a receiving device and obtained his commercial wireless license while still in HS. Also built one of the first amateur wireless stations in Northern OH.
(would he have been known to the younger TTB?) Entered Oberlin College in 1915.

WWI Private US Army Signal Corps

1920 BSEE U Mich.
1921 MS Physics U Mich

1921-23 Radio Research Engineer, U.S. Air Service. Pioneered radio range nav and drone remote control systems,

1926 Ph. D. Physics, Yale

1827 -1947 NRL

1927 Research Physicist, Radio Division NRL

1927 Assistant Superintendent. Heat and Light Division

1929 – 1933 Published 28 articles on magnetism, cosmic rays, and other natural phenomenon. Granted 17 patents, including electrometer device that could produce AC from free charge.

1934 Technical Advisor for entire NRL (accepted job on 2 conditions: skilled help would be available and he would be free to pursue his own research/

1938 Patented portable infrared radiation detection device

1939 wrote Atomic Power memo to Adm. Bowen

1941 Invited Abelson to NRL, fostered Thermal Diffusion development

1942 June: Achieved significant success with TD method testing

August: reported success to Briggs, Chair of S1

October: NRL Visited by Gen Groves and Adm. Parnell

1943` November: received authorization to build large TD plant at the Boiler and Turbine laboratory at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard.

1943?- 45 Held concurrent assignments at NRL:
Superintendant Mechanics/Electricity Division
Superintendant Aircraft Electrical Division
Technical Advisor, Naval administration

1944 Concurrent appointment Tech Director Army-Navy Precipitation Static Project

1946 Submitted feasibility study on Nuclear powered Submarines

1947 Transferred to US Weather Bureau
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Mikado14 wrote:
htmagic wrote: I colored the Four Corners text in red because I seem to remember something said about where the four corners meet although I can't find the original post. Although I can't find the original post, here is a reference to Four Corners...
MagicBill
"Where the four points meet" if we are talking about the "Rain on the Roof" papers.

Mikado
Mikado,

Thank you.
Where could I find a copy of the Rain on the Roof papers?

MagicBill
Rose
Senior Cadet

E. O. Hulbert, NRL

Post by Rose »

Bill, I believe Morgan is holding on to those papers. Lots of luck in prying them loose!

it's hard to find much information about E.O. Hulbert, but he obviously earned a great deal of respect for his work, since the Space Division of NRL is now named after him. This is the closest I have been able to come in finding out why:

In the 1930s, E. O. Hulbert of the Naval Research
Laboratory wrote to the President of the National
Academy of Science expressing his interest in the rocket
developments of Robert Goddard as a means of
advancing high altitude research. For more than a decade
Hulbert had been studying the propagation of radio
waves. The discipline had reached the point where the
indirect means available to study the upper atmosphere
where radio waves reflected, allowing for their
propagation over long distances, could lead only to more
speculation and few facts. Thus it would be necessary to
send instruments directly into the region to make further
progress in understanding this area of science that had
revolutionized naval operations.
Hulbert’s vision came to fruition a decade later in a way
that he could have barely imagined. German scientists
and engineers had indeed developed the rockets he
needed, but as terror weapons. Their remnants had been
swept up and returned to the United States, where, under
the direction of his colleagues at NRL and a few others
Superintendent, Space Science Division
elsewhere, instruments were being sent to high altitudes
to make the measurements that he had proposed earlier.

http://pdf.aiaa.org/preview/CDReadyMASM ... 4_1380.pdf

rose
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

htmagic wrote:Mikado,

Thank you.
Where could I find a copy of the Rain on the Roof papers?

MagicBill
Morgan had them and he is dead, therefore, I suppose they are entrusted to someone else and that individual is unknown to me. Other than that, I only know of some copies of pages and they are not available. The entirety is well over 500 pages.

I would be willing to bet that this forum is referenced within as well as a few individuals. Perhaps even you.

Mikado

***edit***
Somewhere between when I first read and then posted, Rose posted. Oh well, somedays you get the bear and others the bear gets you........Hi Rose! I heard you like flea markets?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Rose
Senior Cadet

Post by Rose »

Hey! Watch who you are calling a bear, Mister!
<g>

Flea markets, swap meets, thrift shops, forums devoted to little known historical characters...I love treasure hunts of all kinds! Even when the treasure has been hard to come by, I've met some of the nicest people in such hangouts!

rose
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Rose wrote:
Flea markets, swap meets, thrift shops, forums devoted to little known historical characters...I love treasure hunts of all kinds! Even when the treasure has been hard to come by, I've met some of the nicest people in such hangouts!

rose
Ah Hah! Flea markets you say. You must be an easterner. How about Yard sales? May just turn up that stray book or perhaps even at a Farmers Market.

Off the cuff here, Mark Culpepper - And what do you think helped with those near 200 bushel yields? I bet Rose might know.

Mikado
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

Bill,
Great information!
"Two years later Pick sold his mine to international financier Floyd Odlum for $9 million and a custom-converted PBY airplane. Odlum renamed the mine the Hidden Splendor, but soon after his purchase the highly touted vein pinched out. Local wags then dubbed the mine "Odlum's Hidden Blunder."

A couple of things interest me with that. A custom converted PBY airplane? Lets see, that was from Odlum to the seller. Makes one wonder what he was doing with a PBY originally (suddenly all those Jimmy Buffett songs come to mind about " breaking free") but who knows where he got that plane and what he had been using it for?.... anybody out there?

The fact that "soon after he bought it" the mine "pinched out". I doubt that Floyd Odlum ever made too many mistakes and making a 9 million dollar blunder I would seriously question. And if you do that then you have to question whether the mine actually " ran out" or simply was " diverted quietly in another direction."

Just a couple of anomalies noted there. I can't imagine Odlum making a nine million dollar mistake. It just wasn't his style.

Oh, and you might google Floyd Odlum and silver and see what happens! Linda
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

Beat you to it ... there is this, written in 1961

"When Financier Floyd Odlum, longtime boss of Atlas Corp., retired last year at 68 to his Indio, Calif., ranch, the smart money bet that it would not last. Odlum, the argument ran, was constitutionally incapable of slowing down after 37 years of buying, revitalizing, and selling off such companies as Paramount Pictures, Hilton Hotels, Greyhound Corp., Bonwit Teller and Atlantic Refining. Last week, after 16 months of restless ease, Odlum proved the smart money right, swung back into action as chairman of Salt Lake City's Federal Resources Corp. Federal's assets are a paltry (for Odlum) $6.6 million in beryllium, uranium and silver mines. But Odlum argues that "although the future of this company is over the horizon, the horizon is not too far away."

Linda
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

Post by Victoria Steele »

First of all,I am really, really sorry that this is so long. I don't really buy into this particular slant of this article but if all of these facts can be proven out about Floyd Odlum the writer has given us ALOT of information here that I couldn't find anywhere else. Hard to know what to cut so I am simply pasting.... I know, I know. Yell at me later. This might be important. Besides. Pauls away again.

http://www.silver-investor.com/charless ... lgrims.htm

If you take a look at what this guy has written you would think that everyone in the world is part of his " Pilgrim Group". Is the Caroline Group the "Pilgrim Society" I would think not but I sure do see some similarities. But we were focused on one solid person Floyd Odlum. So here is what he says.

"The only noteworthy postwar fortune belongs to Floyd B. Odlum, a Morgan corporation executive formerly with the Electric Bond & Share Company. Odlum formed the Atlas Corporation, an investment trust, on the basis of a $40,000 investment in 1924. This enterprise now participates in nearly every industry, having acquired its equities at extreme depression lows. The New York Times of April 23, 1933, reported that Atlas Corporation then owned assets aggregating $100,000,000. Atlas assets are valued now at more than double this sum; the corporation is probably the biggest investment trust in the world. Odlum has been designated, with some truth, the sole newcomer to win in the great postwar boom and collapse.”

Odlum went short stocks before the October 1929 crash. At what point his worth surpassed $1 billion, I haven’t determined, but several sources (www.nf104.com) called him a billionaire. The Globe & Mail, October 12, 2002, had a feature, “Billionaire Stock Tycoon Floyd Odlum.” Odlum was a heavy holder of RCA (Radio Corporation of America) and General Dynamics stock (www.collectspace.com) His Atlas Corporation purchased Paramount Pictures in 1933 at “basement” prices. Odlum was also chairman of RKO Studios, another filmmaker. Atlas Corporation was once known as Atlas Utilities & Investors Company. Odlum was also a heavy owner, through his Atlas Corporation, of Greyhound Bus Lines; Northeast Airlines (nearly 90%); Bonwit Teller (department stores); Convair Aviation; United Fruit Company; and Madison Square Garden. Odlum was “widely reputed to be one of the 10 richest men in the world” (www.nationmaster.com). He also was dominant in Barnsdall Oil Company. History News Network, May 9, 2004, said of him---

“A powerful financial wizard and industrialist, personally convinced Ike to seek the office. The Odlum papers are at the Eisenhower Library.”

Odlum was already personally involved with the office of the President. On October 20, 1948, he met with President Truman (Truman Library reference). American National Biography, published under the aegis of the American Council of Learned Societies, 1999 edition, volume 16, page 623 said of Odlum--- (HE MET WITH TRUMAN? OCTOBER 1948???)

“He built the Atlas Corporation into one of the world’s greatest investment corporations, controlling many companies in a vast array of industries.”

Time Magazine, September 12, 1942, said Odlum “buys everything for 50 cents on the dollar.” In 1954 he bought the nation’s biggest uranium deposit in Utah---the Hidden Splendor mine. Odlum was also the dominant shareholder in Standard Uranium. John A. Roosevelt, son of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, became an officer and director of Standard Uranium. John Roosevelt turned up on page 2820 of the 1981 Who’s Who as a member of The Pilgrims and joined Bache Group in 1957, where he was a director till 1981. Bache Group was founded by Jules S. Bache of The Pilgrims, president and treasurer of Dome Mines (now Placer Dome)---Who’s Who, 1928, page 203. Bache held interests in chemicals; liquor; land; banking; railroads; insurance; copper mines; oil; agriculture; and Chrysler Corporation. Bache Group played a role in flushing the Hunt brothers down the COMEX silver drain! Roosevelt was a trustee of Eisenhower Exchange Fellowship Foundation, whose scholars favor weakening American national sovereignty; a director of the Boy Scouts of America (thoroughly infiltrated); and trustee, State University of New York and Roosevelt College, Chicago.

The Atomic Energy Commission was buying uranium from Odlum, especially in the early 1950’s, that, in addition to his huge aviation interests, is why he insinuated himself into confidentiality with several Presidents. The 1952 Who’s Who, page 1888, shows Pilgrim Society member Richard Cunningham Patterson Jr. (born 1886) as a director of Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation, of which Odlum was chairman (later Convair). Patterson was a “day laborer” in the South Dakota gold mines, 1905-1907. In 1920 he became assistant to the president of J.G. White Engineering Corporation. J.G. White was listed in the 2002 Pilgrims of Great Britain book (page 185) as a charter member in New York in 1903. In 1921-1922 Patterson was with the Du Pont chemical conglomerate (Pilgrim Society, and big silver users). In 1932-1936 he was a director of National Broadcasting Company, owned by RCA and became assistant Secretary of Commerce, 1938-1939, where he was associated with the Export-Import Bank of the U.S., a device for looting the taxpayers. In 1939-1943 he was installed as chairman of Odlum’s RKO Corporation, and became Ambassador to Yugoslavia, 1944-1947; to Guatemala, 1948-1951; then Ambassador to Switzerland. He was an administrative officer with the American Commission to Negotiate the Peace, in 1919, whose role was to insure that Germany would be so galled by the terms of surrender that they’d attack Europe as soon as the next generation reached soldier age.

Patterson, one of Odlum’s key associates, was also a director of the China-America Council of Commerce & Industry. Odlum was a trustee of the Army & Air Force Aid Society and the American Institute for Foreign Trade and as of 1952, was a past president of the important American Arbitration Association. As of 1953 he was chairman of the Arthritis and Rheumatism Foundation, long associated with pharmaceutical interests gouging the public. Odlum’s wife, Jacqueline Cochran Odlum (deceased 1980) held more aviation records than any other pilot---men included--- in history. She flew a bomber to England in 1941 and became flight captain in the British Air Transport auxiliary, training pilots. On return to the United States she organized the WASPS---Women’s Air Force Service Pilots. She was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal in 1945 and became a lieutenant colonel in the USAF Reserves in 1948. She was the first woman to break the sound barrier, in 1953; and flew twice the speed of sound on June 3, 1964. In 1961 she achieved an altitude record of 55,253 feet in an F-104G Starfighter and was the first woman to make a “blind” landing.

Let’s take a hard look at what this Pilgrim Society member, Floyd Odlum, did, working with another Pilgrim Society member, Stuart Symington, to “seize the wealth necessary.” Symington was chairman of Emerson Electric Manufacturing Company, St. Louis, 1938-1945. In 1945-1946 he was Surplus Property Administrator in Washington, D.C., disposing of unused war materials, probably at give-away prices, to his Pilgrim Society network. From 1947 through 1950 Symington was Secretary of the Air Force. In 1950 he became chairman of the National Security Resources Board, which was suggestive of more recent Presidential Executive Orders authorizing the “seizure” of commodities in wartime. Symington was a personal friend of Floyd and Jacqueline Odlum and entertained them in his Air Force administrative office. Jack Northrop of Northrop Aviation was in competition with Convair Aviation---controlled by Odlum---for defense contracting business. Below, Pilgrim Society member Stuart Symington (who became a Senator from Missouri in 1952) and his son James became a Congressman from Missouri. In 1962 through 1965 James was administrative assistant to the Attorney General of the United States. Before that he was assistant to the United States Ambassador to Great Britain, John Hay Whitney, who turned up by 1973 as a vice president of The Pilgrims of the United States

Odlum wanted to buy out Northrop on terms favorable to himself and bad for Northrop, so Northrop declined. After that, the pressure mounted from Washington against Northrop. In 1952 Jack Northrop sold out all his Northrop shares and left the business. Symington, while Secretary of the Air Force, cancelled Northrop’s B-49 Bomber project. General Curtis LeMay, General George Kenney and General Henry Arnold testified in favor of backing up Symington’s decision. Kenney, Knight Commander, Order of the British Empire, sided against Northrop, due to Odlum being a member of an interlocking British Empire organization---The Pilgrims! Who’s Who, 1966, page 1135, has Kenney stating he was president of the Arthritis and Rheumatism Foundation since 1951 (of which Odlum was chairman!!) LeMay was at that time, Air Force Chief of Staff and a personal friend of Jacqueline Cochran! By the 1970’s LeMay was a trustee of the National Geographic Society, another Pilgrim Society run organization like the Smithsonian Institution. In 1980 Northrop broke silence and said Symington cancelled the deal because Northrop refused to merge with Convair, because Convair (Odlum) attempted to put too harsh a deal with Northrop. Get this---as part of the cancellation order, Secretary Symington ordered seven of the Northrop B-49’s destroyed!

Concerning the B-36 hearings after that contract cancellation---Northrop admitted by 1980 (coincidentally, about when Odlum’s wife passed on) that he (Northrop) lied under oath to Congress, because he was fearful that Symington might “totally destroy” his company in retaliation for his refusal of Odlum’s merger terms! There were rumors in the press at that time that Symington was to be installed by Odlum as head of Convair after the takeover of Northrop! Louis A. Johnson, Secretary of Defense, later alleged that Symington conspired with Odlum to switch Air Force contracts. For documentation supporting these charges, refer to the House Committee on Armed Services investigation of the bomber program, 81st session of Congress, 1949, page 13; “American Combat Planes” (1982) by Ray Wagner (Doubleday & Company); “Northrop Flying Wings” (1988) by Edward Maloney (World War II Publications); “Truman” by David McCullough (Simon & Schuster, 1992); “Northrop’s Big Wing” by David Baker (Air International, June 1993); “B-2 Intrigue” by Graham Stallard (Air International, August 1993, page 117); and “Big Bomb” (Air International, November 1993, page 285).

This is what happens when Pilgrim Society members conspire to ruin other rich men. None of the above reference sources mention anything concerning Odlum and Symington both being members of The Pilgrims. Undoubtedly, not one of them knew anything about it; so monumental is the wall of silence! In 1961 Odlum became chairman of Federal Resources Corporation and the 1966 Who’s Who, page 1592 listed him as chairman of the Lovelace Foundation for Medical Education & Research at Albuquerque, New Mexico. According to page 57 of that edition, Robert Orville Anderson was vice chairman of the Lovelace Foundation. Anderson was also listed at that time as chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas and director of Atlantic Refining Company, whose major stockholder was Pilgrim Society member David Rockefeller. Odlum, who was also president of the Hertz Foundation for Science Fellowships, was awarded the Presidential Certificate of Merit. Many Pilgrim Society members have been closely involved with United States Presidents, including billionaire Walter Annenberg of TV Guide, with Nixon and Reagan. Take note---none of these Pilgrim Society members---Odlum; Annenberg; Patterson; and Symington---were Yale graduates, so we know they weren’t members of Skull & Bones. Yet consider the huge power they exercised! Will someone allege billionaires cannot be powerful, unless they belong to Skull & Bones? Come on with that Skull & Bones theory already---it’s quite inferior to The Pilgrims. Skull & Bones is a society junior to The Pilgrims, because college age boys are admitted; admittance into The Pilgrims appears to take place almost always after age 40. Again, The Pilgrims is the only elitist Society of which the President is always a member, regardless of which university he came from. Annenberg became Ambassador to Great Britain, 1969-1974, which country set up Skull & Bones as an influence front in America. The Pilgrims encompasses all the key elitist rich men in America, whereas Skull & Bones encompasses only those from Yale. Even at Yale it does not encompass them all---Scroll & Key is also intensely significant; Wolf’s Head and Book & Snake are significant, Berzelius appears to be the runt of the litter.

The case of Odlum and Symington and their collusion to wipe out a man who wouldn’t sell out at a lowball price is a glimmer---or a mirror---to indicate also that The Pilgrim Society watches---observes---and waits---to behold any entrepreneurs who build a very successful company and then, either get taken over, squeezed out, or invited to become part of the Network. And if the offer to affiliate with the Network is declined, that rising company will come under fire and be brought down, most likely by the machinery of the legal system. No wonder some Supreme Court justices have been members or in their orbit, and United States Attorney Generals including George Wickersham and Herbert Brownell---two I recall without checking my files. No wonder the Justice Department won’t investigate the Silver Users Association as to anti-trust issues.

A final note on Pilgrim Society member Floyd Odlum. Whereas he was obviously a fanatic devotee of his own financial interests, he was actively hostile to silver mining interests. Probably for two reasons---industrial users like to steal silver cheaply, and because Odlum had Federal Reserve connections, as we just saw. Paper money creators detest silver! From 1940 through 1944 Odlum was a “special advisor” to the Office of Price Administration, which placed a Federal price cap on both domestic and imported silver! (See “War And Silver,” Archives). You can be certain while Odlum was selling uranium to the Atomic Energy Commission he didn’t want any Federal price cap placed on THAT! Laws and regulations are crafted to harm those outside The Pilgrim Society’s charmed circle of ultra-high finance. That’s why they always have key representation in the Senate and House; high-powered Wall Street attorneys are members; an occasional Supreme Court justice; and more frequently, the Attorney General of the U.S. Justice Department! The Atlas Missile program was named after Odlum’s Atlas Corporation, the contractor, which was used in the Apollo missions to send astronauts to the moon. Another item on Odlum---his Atlas Corporation hired Alexander Gumberg after he was deported from Norway for Bolshevik-related activities! Considering the superabundance of evidence pointing to the national and worldwide financial, political, social and educational influence wielded by The Pilgrims, and the lack of indications as to their being a front for any other society, the quote attributed to Adam Weishaupt, founder of the Order of Illuminati, applies to them better than to any other entity---

“The Order will thus work silently, and securely; and though the generous benefactors of the human race are thus deprived of the applause of the world, they have the noble pleasure of seeing their work prosper in their hands.”

Sheeze. Not a lightweight if even half of that is true of him. Victoria