Chapter 77: Strike Another Match

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 77: Strike Another Match

Post by Paul S. »

is now online:

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... match.html

This might be the longest chapter I've written yet, which is only interesting because it covers a relatively short period, from February until September, 1967. I guess that's what's to be expected once the two threads have woven themselves together.

This one also only covers about 3/4 of the material I thought it would. So, no rest for the wicked, on to 78...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Gewis
Junior Birdman

Post by Gewis »

Good chapter, Paul. Chuck Yeager was two years from being promoted to General in 1967 (Date of Rank June 22, 1969), but that's not material.

It's really interesting how the whole family kept wandering right up until Tula left town, and then they B-lined straight for Odlum. Except for the fact that Tula and Linda kept writing each other, it's as if Dr. Brown wanted the idea of a nomadic directionless Brown to be "carried on the wind" back east. It's also interesting how much showmanship is going on that is for Linda's benefit too.

What a way to keep secrets.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research!" -Einstein
Langley
Senior Officer

Re: Chapter 77: Strike Another Match

Post by Langley »

I really enjoyed reading that. Interesting. I dont think I could stand the situation where the spectrum ranged from Bradford Shank to Edward Teller.

Two centres of gravity. Something's gonna give. For Shank represents a movement which was/is essentially anti-Teller. (So good on Shank.)

Josephine's travails reminded me of mother's distress on arriving in Australia. But oddly we moved regularly, I went to 6 different primary schools and that continued from 1959 to the 1980s. Its pretty sad really. Disorientating.

I am not optimistic about what will happen later.
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Wow, amazing.
Three women and a cat in a cadillac covertible.
Your a poet and don't know it.

What an honour to read that so soon after you wrote it, sort of ahead of time.
Kevin
fibonacci is king
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

I honestly found some of your writing Paul , matching Dylan, so here he is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06SoECIp1U

Take what you have gathered from coincidence.
Kevin
fibonacci is king
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Wonderful narrative Paul, but I am still baffled by the financial abuse that the Brown family has undergone in this saga. I know that I should not have expected a long term change when they landed in Santa Monica. It's as if Brown's handlers pump him and his family up at the beginning of new and promising episodes, only to let them let them fall down in a short while.

And this all seems to come from the Nassau/Odlum/ Decker alignment, but maybe I'm just imagining things. Why not just provide the guy and his family a decent place to live, work, and live life in a decent way ? Don't you believe that he deserved that much at this juncture ? This sort of prolonged abusive treatment is a spirit destroying process. Many of us have experienced it first hand.

The Odlum Ranch episode was telling. I would have thought that sponsorship by Odlum would have become a positive development in all of this, but there are already indications that Odlum won't be living up to his promises by prolonging negotiations and handing TTB some cash every once in a while to keep him around. And he's the richest man in America !
Just makes my jaws stiff it does. Oh I know, great secrets are being protected, noble works are going forth. At some point any normal person would just say Bulltweety and just walk away. But not our guy and his family.

Ahhh, to be a young couple for just one night in SanFrancisco during the summer of love. Does anyone else get the impression that Linda and Morgan's meeting, or maybe the entire trip was no accident ? Townsend surely loved his daughter more than we can appreciate or understand at our distance.

flow.... :wink:
Dancing is better than marching
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Longfellow

Post by Paul S. »

kevin.b wrote: Three women and a cat in a cadillac covertible.
Your a poet and don't know it.
Wasn't it Zimmerman who said

"I'm a poet, and I know it, hope I don't blow it..."

??

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

The Bills

Post by Paul S. »

flowperson wrote:Wonderful narrative Paul, but I am still baffled by the financial abuse that the Brown family has undergone in this saga.
Then consider this not-so-minor detail that came to light in the few minutes just before I posted this chapter:

I asked Linda Brown is she ever saw any of the BILLS for that American Express card that her father was getting so much mileage out of. She said "no."

The implication was clear: those statements were going somewhere else.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they were going to "Nassau."

Another detail to include come the re-write.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Radomir
Senior Cadet

quality human

Post by Radomir »

As if we need any additional evidence of the man's inherent good-heartedness, he runs out and gets a new battery for the Indian motorcyclist who helped him out of the sand.

And, as was already mentioned above so perceptively by flow "Townsend surely loved his daughter more than we can appreciate or understand at our distance. " Hard to imagine a father taking such care and material steps to help his daughter reach what makes her happy.

Josephine--stalwart, faithful, and stretched to the limit during this period, again our admiration only grows for her strength of character and fidelity through such tumultuous times. And the gumption to say "enough" when she'd reached her limit.

And Morgan's first assignment, likely to infiltrate the youth counter-culture movement (must have been fun) or at least use it for laying an initial cover, who knows. What a time to be in SF, regardless.

Hooray for Charles Miller and his tacos!

R.
Trickfox
The Magician

Can't see the chapter!!!!!

Post by Trickfox »

Help .......
PAUL......

I can't see that last chapter.....

it shows nothing is there.....????

Your link has one of these too many; (http://)
I am being deirected to http://http://defying_gravity/77_strikeamatch.html
The link should be just; http://defying_gravity/77_strikeamatch.html
Trickfox
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Try again, Ray

Post by Paul S. »

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... match.html

If that's not working, I dunno what's going on.
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Trickfox
The Magician

The link where it says: Please visit the forum

Post by Trickfox »

When you go directly to the first index page it says Chapter 77 is now online

The link where it says: Chapter 77 strike Another Match
If you look at the link code <a href="http://https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... match.html"> there is one too many "http://" in that link.....

The rest is ok......
In fact...The whole chapter is another poetic work of art Paul
Congratulations

I will try it again.
Ok.... I just tried it again....
That is where the problem occurs.
It's the link from you main webpage index to chapter 77.

Trickfox
Last edited by Trickfox on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Same for me

Post by greggvizza »

Paul,

The same for me. The two 77 links in the middle of the TTB home page do not work, but the 77 link in the left column works.

GV
Langley
Senior Officer

Post by Langley »

flowperson wrote:Wonderful narrative Paul, but I am still baffled by the financial abuse that the Brown family has undergone in this saga.

flow.... :wink:
PS wrote: "...I started out to tell the story of an inventor, a true genius whose
inventions were exploited in the world of commerce, while the actual source of the innovations were cast
aside by the Masters of Industry — feckless tycoons who stole not only the products divine inspiration,
but all the wealth, fame and glory that those inventions should have bestowed upon their actual creators."

And they pump him till they figure a short term profit regime then flick him off. Still, heaven's where the heart is.

Lot's to dwell on about Native Americans.
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: Same for me

Post by Paul S. »

greggvizza wrote:Paul,

The same for me. The two 77 links in the middle of the TTB home page do not work, but the 77 link in the left column works.

GV
Should all be working now.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"