Chapter 72: First We Build A Fire

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
James Barrett

job description

Post by James Barrett »

Elizabeth,

The job description here might be interesting to you.

http://libserv.aip.org:81/ipac20/ipac.j ... icos#focus

"The Special Assistant position was created early in the first Eisenhower administation. The Succession of individuals to hold the position was Robert Cutler, Dillon Anderson, William Jackson, Robert Cutler for a second incumbency, and finally Gordon Gray. The Special Assistant served as liaison between the President and the National Security Council staff who focused upon long-term national security policy.

Scope of Material: Includes correspondence, National Security Council policy papers, briefing notes, memoranda, reports, press releases, National Security Council agendas nd minuts, records of action, status of projects reports, reports on the status of United States national security programs, and reports on current policies of the United States relating to National Security. Topics: space programs; atomic energy and atomic weapons; nuclear testing; satellites; missiles; research and national security policy; sharing atomic energy information with certain allies; technological capabilities; technical surveillance countermeasure requirements; international exchange of technical information; human effects of nuclear weapons development; peaceful uses of atomic energy; disarmament research; nuclear weapons as an indusrial tool; solar energy; desalination; deep hole drilling; scientific cooperation in NATO; telecommunications detection of nuclear detonations; weapons.

Definitely an interesting man. JDB
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh My!
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
James Barrett

500 goes a long way

Post by James Barrett »

Interesting that $500.00 seems to be Dr. Browns consulting fee for things! During his cruise on the Caroline apparently it was $500.00 for ten weeks!

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... dging.html

But then look at the fringe benefits, and I am not entirely solely speaking of the pretty girl!

Then in 1957 apparently he is paid the princely sum of $500.00 a month? Just doesn't seem enough really to be able to buy a piece of property anywhere with that kind of income? Or am I caught in a time warp again? Was that a good wage then?

Perhaps he had a bank somewhere he just never mentioned? JDB
Gewis
Junior Birdman

Re: 500 goes a long way

Post by Gewis »

James Barrett wrote: Then in 1957 apparently he is paid the princely sum of $500.00 a month? Just doesn't seem enough really to be able to buy a piece of property anywhere with that kind of income? Or am I caught in a time warp again? Was that a good wage then?

Adjusted for inflation, by the CPI, $500 in 1957 is about $3,580 today. And even inflation adjusted, real estate prices are much higher today than they were in 1957.
Last edited by Gewis on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research!" -Einstein
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: hummers and hobbits

Post by Mikado14 »

[quote="Griffin"]Twigsnapper-

As a martial artist, I certainly appreciate the need for protection and you and the others were a blessing for Townsend to have near him. Further, though – as has been said in the Asian martial arts tradition -- the ultimate protection is a pure heart which also unlocks the truest “secretsâ€
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: 500 goes a long way

Post by Mikado14 »

James Barrett wrote:Interesting that $500.00 seems to be Dr. Browns consulting fee for things! During his cruise on the Caroline apparently it was $500.00 for ten weeks!

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... dging.html

But then look at the fringe benefits, and I am not entirely solely speaking of the pretty girl!

Then in 1957 apparently he is paid the princely sum of $500.00 a month? Just doesn't seem enough really to be able to buy a piece of property anywhere with that kind of income? Or am I caught in a time warp again? Was that a good wage then?

JD, I must say that I am surprised at you. This post is so out of character from your previous posts in the knowledge that you have and you failed to take into consideration the cost of living in 1957?

There must be a trail of corn here but where?

Mikado
James Barrett

You would be surprised

Post by James Barrett »

Mikado,

I have to grin at your comment. I think you would be surprised how financially inept I am.

Point I was trying to make here was that there must have been more of a financial arrangement made somewhere, somehow for Dr. Brown. He himself seems to go along almost as if he is living a monks life . Paul mentioned that the 500.00 was almost entirely shipped back to his family in Florida. The man is apparently living at the local YMCA, hardly posh surroundings. And I suppose in that age with the Bahnson connections he was probably able to finance that property through some bank that was familiar with the company name. Its just that most banking associations require a length of time in a community .... some background which I figure that Dr. Brown could not supply ( nor would want to). Or did he just pay cash?

So how does a person like that, with such black connections perhaps funnel his money to keep it available to him yet not traceable by others? The old follow the money gambit I suppose just would not be allowed to survive in his world I think. Its got to be carefully thought out, I should think? JDB
Gewis
Junior Birdman

Post by Gewis »

I could get by well enough on $450 month, living alone, today. That would be about $62 back then. So Brown takes $62/month (maybe less, considering where he's living) out of his $500, and sends the rest home. That's not unreasonable, and the income was easily enough to finance a house in 1957 without special bank connections. The only question is how he came to get a property he randomly spotted from an airplane. That's where special connections seem to come in.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research!" -Einstein
Langley
Senior Officer

Re: networking

Post by Langley »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote:An impressive networking chart on Gray. Thankyou Flow.

Just so everyone knows what bee I have in my bonnet.
I think something very big was underway in the intelligence world during the year 1958. Positions were shifting about, and I think that if we watch what Dr. Brown does in relationship to what Mr. Gray is known to be doing we will get a better view of something that is too dark to see any other way.
I know that Gray stepped away from his post at the University of North Carolina ... but when did he do that? And what was next for him? Remember this was the age of developing satellite technology ( all super secret at the time) .... and of course when you talk about launching like that there is always the worry of warheads and the concerns for national security. And here maybe in a slightly different vein we have the possible development of a generator which could be used in future airships .... or something ..... You can be that the " big boys" are going to be watching its development carefully and if we are going to put a personage to that .... it might as well be Gray. So I am going to be on him like Mr. Twigsnapper has suggested. Watch the part between the black and the white ....... Elizabeth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_1

4 Oct 1957 the launch vehicle for the sputnik was an intercontinental ICBM.

Overnight it rendered useless the US Nike anti bomber defence network.

The US was in desperate straits as its own ICBM program was at the time marked by repeated failure. Although Sputnik itself showed the way to possible weapons in space. the immediate threat was the new ability of the USSR to attack the USA and West with the ICBM. We had no defence, just as London had had no defence against the V2.

Interesting that history mentions sputnik a lot. The launch vehicle isnt so widely talked about. It was a killer weapon when nuclear tipped.

I guess that answers my anxiety about Gray. OK Flow & Griffin. I think I get it.

"On August 27 TASS the USSR issued a statement on the launch of a long-distance multistage ICBM. The launch of the fifth R-7 rocket (8K71 No.9), on September 7,[16] was also successful, but the head part was also destroyed in the atmosphere,[18] and hence needed a long redesign to completely fit its military purpose. The rocket, however, was already suitable for scientific satellite launches and this "time-out" of the rocket's military exploitation was used to launch the PS-1 and PS-2 satellites.[19]"

The US was in a hurry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_(missile)

That link didnt work properly (missile) is part of the address.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W52oU0Iy ... re=related

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/808/1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_(launch_vehicle)

Again the importance of German scientists to the efforts of both the USSR and the US in these undertakings cannot be overestimated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernher_von_Braun

"In 1957, with the launch of Sputnik 1, there was a growing perception within the United States that America lagged behind the Soviet Union in the emerging Space Race. American authorities then chose to utilize von Braun and his German team's experience with missiles to create an orbital launch vehicle.

NASA was established by law on July 29, 1958. One day later, the 50th Redstone rocket was successfully launched from Johnston Atoll in the south Pacific as part of Operation Hardtack. Two years later, NASA opened the new Marshall Space Flight Center at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama, and the ABMA development team led by von Braun was transferred to NASA. In a face-to-face meeting with Herb York at the Pentagon, von Braun made it clear he would go to NASA only if development of the Saturn was allowed to continue.[17] Presiding from July 1960 to February 1970, von Braun became the center's first Director."
Last edited by Langley on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Griffin
Senior Officer

no

Post by Griffin »

Mr. Mikado-

No.

Griffin
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

might read this carefully

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

You all might be interested in reading this carefully

http://www.strategic-air-command.com/mi ... istory.htm

Maybe especially this part:

A full go-ahead for the Atlas design was ordered in January 1955 as Weapon System WS107A-l. At Convair the project was known the Model 7 (in Russia, Korolev was working on the competing R-7 ICBM - evidently both sides wanted to use the lucky number). In September 1955, faced with intelligence reports of Russian progress on their ICBM, the Atlas received the highest national development priority. The project became one of the largest and most complex production, testing, and construction programs ever undertaken. The first propulsion system and component tests were conducted in June 1956; the first captive and flight-test missiles were completed later the same year.

The first Atlas A flight took place on June 11, 1957. The first operational missile, the Atlas D, was the basis for launching the Mercury manned spacecraft into orbit. By use of Agena and Centaur upper stages, the Atlas became the medium-lift workhorse of American manned, planetary, and geosynchronous-orbit space programs. Stretched several times, the latest version, the Atlas IIAR, will finally dispense with the booster engine stage in place of two Russian-design rocket engines. Although never copied by other designers, the inflated steel tank approach of the Atlas still gives it the lowest empty weight ratio ever achieved without any reliability penalty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Convair, Atlas ........... Mr. Floyd Odlum ..... the same man in 1967 holding meetings starting on April 15th ..... and between the meetings.... He and Townsend Brown spent time quietly talking and floating about in that warm pool water at the Odlum- Cochran ranch in Indio California.

Elizabeth
Griffin
Senior Officer

missiles

Post by Griffin »

Langley-

As you probably know, the Sputnik situation also resulted in the Army missile program gaining precedence over Navel Research efforts. That development and the major emphasis on missiles would have impacted Townsend Brown's work.

Griffin
Langley
Senior Officer

Re: might read this carefully

Post by Langley »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote:You all might be interested in reading this carefully

http://www.strategic-air-command.com/mi ... istory.htm

Maybe especially this part:

A full go-ahead for the Atlas design was ordered in January 1955 as Weapon System WS107A-l. At Convair the project was known the Model 7 (in Russia, Korolev was working on the competing R-7 ICBM - evidently both sides wanted to use the lucky number). In September 1955, faced with intelligence reports of Russian progress on their ICBM, the Atlas received the highest national development priority. The project became one of the largest and most complex production, testing, and construction programs ever undertaken. The first propulsion system and component tests were conducted in June 1956; the first captive and flight-test missiles were completed later the same year.

The first Atlas A flight took place on June 11, 1957. The first operational missile, the Atlas D, was the basis for launching the Mercury manned spacecraft into orbit. By use of Agena and Centaur upper stages, the Atlas became the medium-lift workhorse of American manned, planetary, and geosynchronous-orbit space programs. Stretched several times, the latest version, the Atlas IIAR, will finally dispense with the booster engine stage in place of two Russian-design rocket engines. Although never copied by other designers, the inflated steel tank approach of the Atlas still gives it the lowest empty weight ratio ever achieved without any reliability penalty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Convair, Atlas ........... Mr. Floyd Odlum ..... the same man in 1967 holding meetings starting on April 15th ..... and between the meetings.... He and Townsend Brown spent time quietly talking and floating about in that warm pool water at the Odlum- Cochran ranch in Indio California.

Elizabeth
Crikey.

In tandem with any weapons system development there is a program of counter measure research. So if Werner's view of the possibility of weapons platforms in space (which in 1957 the USSR had the potential lead), then the need for a range unlimited high performance interceptor would have been important. Also the idea of ionospheric modification as a countermeasure (local RF heating) could have been a theme.

I have no idea what that conversation was about Elizabeth, but logically it may have involved such issues.

We know from Paul that Brown was involved with Argus, which was ionosphere modification by nuke. The same result can be achieved by RF beaming. (See HAARP).
Langley
Senior Officer

Re: missiles

Post by Langley »

Griffin wrote:Langley-

As you probably know, the Sputnik situation also resulted in the Army missile program gaining precedence over Navel Research efforts. That development and the major emphasis on missiles would have impacted Townsend Brown's work.

Griffin
Yea, it overrode everything.
Griffin
Senior Officer

reliability

Post by Griffin »

Elizabeth-

From what I can determine, I think the phrase "without any reliability penalty" is an apt one generally in relation to the work of Floyd Odlum. The reliability issue, it seems to me, was probably the major factor in the support Stuart Symington and Air Force generals gave to Odlum in the Northrop case.

Griffin