Any Body Recognize this Shortwave Radio?

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

thank you so much!

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Great! Wonderful! and you are right Flow ..... ironic! Thankyou *all *for your efforts! Elizabeth
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

That short wave interlude was this forum at its best.
well done flow.
I never knew there were so many radios , amazing.
I often buy and sell Mizpah brooches, usually victorian, now I can tell people all about mizpah.
I have several early transistor portables in the shop, will raise the price on them, I have gained an appreciation of them.
I could sense Paul had started a sort of race off , the competion drives you on.
Looking forward to the next chapter , and having another race, or two.
fibonacci is king
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Bingo

Post by Paul S. »

Trickfox wrote:Image

I think you found it FLOW!!!!!

It matches the image in which Dr. Brown istunning the dial.
Yup, that certainly looks like the droid we're looking for, ObiWan.

I've added that notation to the text I posted to Chapter 71 yesterday.

Thanks, everybody, for helping me with this one. Flow, you get a gold star, and one of those vanilla ice cream cones when we all finally get together at the Dairy Queen.

And yeah, RCA was the evil empire that swallowed Philo Farnsworth and Edwin Armstrong (among others) whole.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

so isn't it ironic

So isn't it ironic, given the history, that Dr. Brown would choose the " casing" from the " evil empire gobbling machine" to cover the instrument that was so radically different and which they would never at that point understand. Called being right under their noses!

And I never knew about Mizpah either kevin. How do you recognize a broach in that category? Strikes me that would make a lovely collectors item!Do you find them often and what should I look for?

And of course there are connections, going backwards in time, to the shipboard group of people on the Caroline. Remember the Victor Talking Machine? That became? ..... right ...... Elizabeth
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

don't forget

Flow and Everybody!

Don't forget the other things that we have learned on this shortwave radio trail. I think the observation that you made here is a vital opening to another rabbit hole and we need not to forget it. Remember? You said:

"The name base diagram for CW Halligan is one of the most unusual I've run across, all solid blue/high density connections that go nowhere else.

http://www.namebase.org/cgi-bin/nb06/13 ... LLIGAN_C_W

Everybody else take a look at that social diagram. I have never seen anything quite like it. CW Halligan needs some looking into folks, my initial impression! so off I go ... into the " giggle weeds"

Speaking of that expression ( JDB used that expression after saying that he had a good grip on his handlebars? and it rang some mental bells because I have heard that expression before . A very long time ago. And I think it was the voice of Steve McQueen in an old film about motorcycle racing ... named " On Any Sunday" What followed was a pretty funny bunch of clips of dirt bikes really going off into the dirt ... through the bushes. I loved the expression and have used it before. Just wondered James if you did any motorcycle racing?) Elizabeth
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Thanks for the strokes guys. Yeah a gold star and a vanilla cone...just about my speed these days.

Synchronicity reigns...I did a paper on Edwin Armstrong's career when in college ...written by candle light if I recollect.

flow....

:roll:
Dancing is better than marching
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

Victor

Post by Victoria Steele »

And I wonder, in the long run, which was the Victor?

"By the late 20's, Victor's founder, Eldridge Johnson, now a millionaire, was growing weary of the business, so he decided to retire. In 1929, RCA purchased The Victor Talking Machine Company"

As Elizabeth said. There are certain ironies going on here that are fun to watch develop! Victoria
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Elizabeth helen drake,
There are several mizpah broochs on Ebay now, one a nice two heart silver one has the saying that I put on here, its only at two pounds, four dollars.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Edwardian-1905-SI ... goryZ58554
I would throw a mr twigsnapper red flag down on old McDonald as well,
Old Mcdonald had a yacht, ey yi ey yi oh, and on that yacht he had ?
kevin
Last edited by kevin.b on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fibonacci is king
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

'And on that yacht he had some... pot ?"

*sorry...just couldn't help it*

flow.... 8)
Dancing is better than marching
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Flowperson,
You may be s/pot on?
I had a personal bet that You would carry on down that line.
Nine parallel lines crossing 55 times, thats a true real buzz.
Kevin
fibonacci is king
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Elizabeth Helen drake,
Sorry its back to youtube, class advert for RCA, they go into detail about the stratoworld radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g920JS_B_ug
Use the slide to 8.18, though the whole thing is amazing
kevin
fibonacci is king
Trickfox
The Magician

BIGGER IMAGE

Post by Trickfox »

Hey everyone
I've got a better close-up of "the SET" if anyone wants it:
Thanks to Paul & Cheryl
http://www.grundigsw.com
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

facing slightly different

Thats a great shot Trickfox and I would agree with you. But there is a slight difference in the " set " that is pictured behind Linda and Josephine. Notice it? The facing is different. the set that Flow found, the set that is in that picture has a facing that flares outward. more narrow at the bottom? ... not straight up and down. See what I mean? I am not good at describing what I mean, but do you see it. Perhaps this model is a year earllier? or perhaps some alterations? Its definitely the same case from the map on the inside of the lid.

Check out the differences and tell me what you think!
viewtopic.php?p=10908#10908
viewtopic.php?p=10936#10936

Elizabeth
Trickfox
The Magician

Smaller picture is the one.

Post by Trickfox »

Actually the smaller picture that Flow found looks a lot more like the one Dr. Brown was tunning. You are probably correct. This looks like an earlier model.
It does show other details that are probably on the later model.

Trickfox
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Elizabeth helen drake,
I feel you are correct, and the metal finish is different, more like polished aluminium on the beach picture and trickfoxs origonal picture, this last one has a black finish metal and square section where the radio bands are marked.
Its inside that matters though, and any one of those dials could have connected with a totally different wave band than normal, but to any observer , it would appear as just another bog standerd radio, perfect camoflage, blend in , and match all around you.
If Dr Brown was listening to universe in his labs, he will have developed radio ears to what he was listening to, anyone else may just think it was interferance.
Kevin
fibonacci is king