Chapter 71: Missing Daddy

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 71: Missing Daddy

Post by Paul S. »

Here ya go, Buckaroos and Buckarettes:

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... daddy.html

--PS
Last edited by Paul S. on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

along shortly?

Post by Victoria Steele »

I am right here! Waiting! Patiently! Honest! Already love the title! ok, ok ok.... oH, BOY! DO i HAVE ALOT OF COMMENTS!

One of the first things that I noticed, being somewhat up on Moores version of " The Philadelphia Experiment", is the name of Mrs. Clara John. Moore MENTIONS HER .... as being the source for that copy of the marked up book that " made the rounds" and eventually spun into the story of " The Philadephia Experiment", so I see here... even though you haven't mentioned it Paul .... the beginning of another ENORMOUS DISINFORMATION PLOY .... and it all goes back to those people meeting at Clara Johns farm.

AND FOR SOME REASON, NOTICE, Dr. Brown makes sure that his daughter is there to " take things in". Almost as if she is his own private and special tape recorder for the future. Involved in things so secret that he could not speak of them maybe, could not write about them in his notebooks, but there is his daughter... the proverbial sponge and his obviously devoted shadow. Victoria
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

feels like

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Its a great chapter again Paul and much information. We will be good to go here with many discussions. I can see that coming.

I can see why Dr. Brown would not have come back to stay at Montressor. Seems to me that he had just gotten the FBI convinced that he had left science for good.

Why didn't they pick up on this European trip, or if they did why did they not go after him again the way they were in the earlier times when it was obvious that they were watching his home, his mail etc.Involved now in things so secret he essentially just " dropped out of sight"

Of course you have said that he had an "inside" with the FBI and I believe it but I still think that he had to be careful not to rouse a sleeping lion in that regard. Stopping by to say hello to your family and then leaving immediately for nearly a year. That just sounds like he was not leaving a trail for anyone to follow.

And I wonder too, when Josephine and Linda left Virginia did they tell anyone where they were going? Did Linda write to her Leesburg classmates? Want to wager that the answer is NO? I wouldn't.

And notice that even in Florida , back together again and apparently quite happy but thats all very temporary. There is still another household move and then he has left for North Carolina.

Lets see. He leaves NICAP in January. Gets his family to move down in March? of 1957 .... before summer of 1957 they have moved to another house ..... and then by November he is gone again? The man does not stay in one place more than six months total. Shorter periods during this phase.

Touching shot of father and daughter. He looks ..... worried ..... Lush vegetation. Is that Florida? and looks like a good solid wooden canoe. Hard to find today. Amazing bond apparent there. MarkC
James Barrett

worried look

Post by James Barrett »

It did strike me that way MarkC . He does sort of have a worried look but it just might be the cast of shadows on his face.

Paul, I would date this photo the summer of 1955. The same time that Helen and Linda were pictured knee deep in the potomac. Note . I think thats the same swim suit on Linda and knowing kids just a little I think that she would have outgrown it in a year, maybe, for sure by 1957.

And location. Though it looks almost tropical I would bet thats the towpath not too far from Georgetown. I am a little familiar with it and when it floods over and meets the Potomac there is only usually a couple of inches on the path. I would bet thats where they are standing because they seem to be ankle deep.

Good chapter Paul. Intricate. I enjoyed the part about the naming of NICAP. You always wonder about how these organizations get their names.

I have some questions on the early founding of NICAP too. I had never heard that in the " shouting match" that preceeded his stepping down that financial misappropriation was charged. Are we sure about that? It somehow just doesn't even sound like something someone who actually knew him would level against him. He may have a different agenda but making money was not Dr. Browns strong interest, from what I have seen.

http://www.qualight.com/stress/wizard1.htm

"The showdown came at a climatic meeting of the membership in January, 1957, at which Brown was accused of following an iresponsible fisical policy and leading the group on too radical a course. During the shouting match that followed, Brown's anti-gravity theories were repeatedly referred to amidst allegations that Brown's sole purpose was to further his own research" note that quote was from William Moore and even HE did not go so far as to say that the money was in anyway funneled to fund Townsend Browns research .

Information maybe <g> but he wouldn't have diverted funds. He did however hire a secretary and get office space and perhaps that was too much to ask of a fledgling program. To Townsend Brown I think he just expected to do things properly.

Did the french company and Townsend Brown continue their association when he got back to the states?

same link from Moore through Andrews Qualight

"Contemporary accounts easily visualized speeds of several hundred miles-per-hour using voltages in the range of one to two hundred thousand electron volts, and at least one writer spoke of of a "flame jet generator" then in the planning stage, which supposedly would be able to provide power potential up to 15 million volts! In fact, plans had been laid for the immediate construction of a large vacuum chamber and a one-half million volt power supply when disaster struck the project in the form of a corporate merger. SNCASO had agreed to combine with a larger company to form what was termed a "Super Douglass of France": Sud Est"

Good chapter. Much to go on. Any Fathers joy, that little " shadow as Mark called her. JDB
Last edited by James Barrett on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Strange old world down here with Alice?
As I was waiting for you to post 71, I was looking through this, and reading some of 71.
http://au.geocities.com/psyberplasmic/ccS1-2.html

There is a section in that link talking about humans been able to pick up on the thoughts and knowledge of others etc.
I consider I can do that, it needs interest and intent, I have the interest, and today had the intent.
Thought the chapter was excellent , I was willing Linda to get out of the alligator infested water, your in their environment, where they are masters of that place.
As we are in a sea of plasma, wonder who are the masters of that place?
Many say reptiles, makes sense to me.
Kevin
fibonacci is king
Radomir
Senior Cadet

stillness in action

Post by Radomir »

For some reason the feeling this chapter leaves me with is one of stillness.

However it is clear TTB was about as busy as he ever had been, working on these special projects.

He seems to have this pattern of absence, after which he tries to make up for being away by being as fully present as he can (family trips, working together in the living room, etc.). And then he leaves again. Very important to keep the vital relationships alive and vibrant with his family, in spite of his absences. A different kind of man might have come home for periods, but have stayed emotionally remote. I admire this man for many things, not the least of which the clear commitment he had to his family even as he was pulled by his own work and passion into other areas he could not share with them.

I don't figure TTB the sort of person who would create an organization just as a distraction/ part of the wounded prairie chicken routine. To discredit himself, he could have founded many other types of groups ("Society for the Study of Ancient Mysticism" for instance), or even simply forged a reputation as a gambler or an alcoholic. Instead he pursued his own interest even while creating a distraction. The best lies are half-truths. So I'm sure he actually was interested to see if some information might come to him that would be useful in figuring out UFO propulsion characteristics. Might also have been a great way to ensure that any reports of terrestrially-originating flying craft would get fielded by the home team first as well--and lumped into UFO lore rather than giving away the home game.

I'm not remotely qualified to comment on the tunnel diode concept, so take the following with a huge grain of salt. I was wondering if the tunnel diode may be a code name for whatever it was in the guts of the "set" that enabled it to receive its signals? So what TTB might have been doing during this period was focusing on other potential applications for something he had already developed, such as these other "listening" purposes (satellite, subs).

R.
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Another very good chapter Paul.

I was especially taken with the NICAP episode wherein those who (I assume) wished to suppress needed information regading airial phenomena over the long term went directly on the attack against Townsend. I call these people the "Mocking Birds".

They usually have no realization of what they are attacking and why. They are driven mostly by fear and unreasonable jealousies. Of course such specious and unwarranted attacks kill possibilities for progress in society before they even take a first breath, and maybe that's the point of it all. Racism and other cancerous diseases of human societies operate in much the same way.

The scapegoat is identified and driven out into the desert where he/she cannot "infect" others with his/her beliefs. This is the process in life that I find to be the essence of all that goes against the progress of life.

I wonder if Townsend ever regretted the paths that he took in pursuing his dreams. I'd be interested in your insights or Linda Brown's feelings about all of that. When is it that we can say that it was all worth it if it appears that the outcomes will be intergenerational. This speaks volumes about the phenomenon of faith. We are led to believe that life is all about doing so, to follow one's bliss. But what about the negative circumstances that this imposes upon those that you care about and love ?

flow....
Last edited by flowperson on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dancing is better than marching
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

observations, first draw

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Thank you Radomir for that observation of the quality of this chapter. I does have a certain stillness about it. Maybe because so much has gone " under" and not talked about. All we can see is the occasional ripple.

But I content myself that we know more than most. At least Victoria will note that we know more than Vassilatos offered when he stated that " Brown spent the remainder of his life in Umatillo Florida. Thats a real plus.

And your observation about the " guts " of the " set" might just be accurate. It makes sense though the followup information is going to be difficult to find I think.

And your idea about NICAP being a way of finding out what was being seen and reported is also very astute I think. A way of having a vehicle which was a " listening post" for the reports coming in from all over the world. He needed to have an organization for that. He could not have done it himself without causing questions. No, he started it, then stepped down and left the running to others. But I would bet that he kept a very close contact with what was being brought into the NICAP files.

It was mentioned that he hired a secretary ....... would that have been the woman that Mr. Twigsnapper mentioned already. Rose Hackett? Remember? those posts? A rose by any other name? A plant? Still working for him even as he was " forced" to step down. So, I wonder how long it took for interesting information to find its way to his desK, or Josephines desk, since it seems that she had one too. I'll bet they had the first draw on any information that came in from all over the world. Two cents worth.

Thanks Radomir for those thoughts. Worth thinking more on I think. Elizabeth
Langley
Senior Officer

Re: observations, first draw

Post by Langley »

Nudging in the direction of HAARP. via Over horizon radar.

"Much of the early research into OTH systems was carried out under the direction of Dr. William J. Thaler at the Naval Research Laboratory; The work was dubbed "Project Teepee" (Thaler's project). Their first experimental system, MUSIC (Multiple Storage, Integration, and Correlation), became operational in 1955 and was able to detect rocket launches 600 miles away at Cape Canaveral, and nuclear explosions in Nevada at 1,700 miles. A greatly improved system, a testbed for an operational radar, was later built in 1961 as MADRE (Magnetic-Drum Radar Equipment) at Chesapeake Bay. As the names imply, both systems relied on the comparison of returned signals stored on magnetic drums, then the only high-speed storage systems available." wiki

Australia's version "Jindalee", can "see" to Korean Peninsular.
"The roots of the JORN can be traced back to post World War II experiments in the United States and a series of Australian experiments beginning in the early 1950s. From July 1970 a study was undertaken, resulting in a proposal for a program, to be carried out in three phases, to develop an over-the-horizon-radar system.[1].

The first phase was designated project Geebung. Geebung aimed to define operational requirements for an OTHR and study applicable technologies and techniques. The project carried out a series of ionospheric soundings, evaluating the suitability of the ionosphere for the operation of an OTHR radar.[1]

Geebung was the foundation for Project Jindalee, the second phase, aimed at proving the feasibility and costing of OTHR. This second phase was to be carried out by Radar Division, which later become the High Frequency Radar Division within the Defence Science and Technology Organisation.[1]"

That which is not returned or scattered, is absorbed. It is a transmission to ionisphere. HAARP pumps RF to ionosphere to change its characteristics.

Relates back to the nuke tests in ionosphere which aimed at producing various effects.
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

connections

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Langley,

You are so good at drawing connections here.

I just wondered if you have yet heard about a program that was being held in the Florida area which involved a " cesium cloud". (during 1956-1957) Paul has made a reference to this operation which I believe Morgan told him about.( He also mentioned the Bahamas ( Bimini) in case that comes up somehow.
It would be helpful if other information also bubbled to the surface here so if you don't mind keep your eye out for that reference please, just in case it crosses your path.

They say, details make all the difference but in our case they also help to shed some light on other mysteries. Thanks in advance, Elizabeth
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

quietly and well done

Post by twigsnapper »

Papers on a desk, reports from NICAP without the politics. A rose is a rose.

SNCASO. Do you REALLY think that they would have folded their tent into nothingness, considering who was behind them in the first place? But as far as anyone knows, records of those tests and their interest in Townsend Browns work have been lost. He came home with a public face which showed bitter disappointment but with a private view that was dancing in the kitchen.

And you have it in his own handwriting. I doubt that he would have done that but he was trying to give Josephine a clear view of what actually was happening. They were always partners in this and he had missed her terribly. And he was very excited to have his family back under his wing and to be going forward with his own work . See it? twigsnapper
Trickfox
The Magician

Tunel Diodes and such

Post by Trickfox »

Good Chapter there Paul,

The technical complexities around Tunel diodes has increased tenfold since this early date, and today there are several versions of this device.

There is so much technology to talk about here but I'm afraid it won't fit the mood, nor does it need to be expanded upon for the purpose of this book.

I suspect that I understand why Dr. Brown was so happy working on his OTHER project(s). This was an excitting time for many scientists.

I sure would like to know for sure if T.T. Brown was recognized as one of the founders of the NRO. At the moment, all we have are suspicions and speculations. Perhaps we will know more later on. For now it just makes sense to assume that he did not want ANYONE to find out, -but to hide this information even after his death? I suppose he did that (specify anonymity) to protect Linda.

In some ways I suspect this book will generate more questions than answers in the future.

OK.... so next chapter is a week or so away right Paul?

Trickfox
James Barrett

questions/ answers

Post by James Barrett »

Trickfox,

A couple of thoughts.

You said that you would " sure like to know" if Dr. Brown was in fact one of the Founders of the NRO. And you may be correct in thinking that we may never know.. Another place has stars on their wall, with no names ever .......

I think that you may have missed one thought. Though that slot is presented as ONE individual it may very well be that there are more than one person represented here, requesting continuing privacy for their work. Why might that be? Spend a few minutes contemplating what it would mean to have had Dr. Browns name on that list. I would be interested to see what sort of scenarios might come to your head.

Trickfox. I think what you say is right. This book will generate more questions at first than answers. But ....... how do you find answers without the right questions? Alot of questions .... alot of answers for the future. JDB
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Re: quietly and well done

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

twigsnapper wrote:Papers on a desk, reports from NICAP without the politics. A rose is a rose.

SNCASO. Do you REALLY think that they would have folded their tent into nothingness, considering who was behind them in the first place? But as far as anyone knows, records of those tests and their interest in Townsend Browns work have been lost. He came home with a public face which showed bitter disappointment but with a private view that was dancing in the kitchen.

And you have it in his own handwriting. I doubt that he would have done that but he was trying to give Josephine a clear view of what actually was happening. They were always partners in this and he had missed her terribly. And he was very excited to have his family back under his wing and to be going forward with his own work . See it? twigsnapper
See it? I see a lot of things...

For instance, Nicolas de Rochefort and Bernard J. Carvalho...I have heard those names before. Nicolas de Rochefort wasn't he an emigrant from Russia? Though the name is French, I wonder if he really didn't just adopt the name. It's the name of a French soldier (Nicolas Chauvin, maybe b. Rochefort(?) ) fr. the 18th C. who eventually served under Bonaparte. But that's not why I've heard that name before.... still thinking... it's too late for this.
And Carvalho... that name definitely rings a bell. Fairway Corporation? charter flights for/(To?) CIA...

Anyways, what I was going to say, was that it seems to me that all these guys (Kehoe included), seem to be "hand-picked". Just so that it can give the company position (NICAP) some level of formal standing in the minds of those in DC. Then, that would give Brown the open door, to walk out, and stil have the reputation by association.

Hmmm....

there's more....
Read carefully, these letters also display an important distinction between what he’s doing — which he does not discuss — and what he wants to be doing, as he tries to make it all sound wonderful to Josephine: “"The thought is that you might set up our office in the house so that we can take care of the Winterhaven projects from there. It is nice & light & airy and looks out into an orange grove. Above all we will have no deadlines and no urgent needs as we had in Washington. And you can relax and enjoy life.â€
Last edited by LongboardLOVELY on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
James Barrett

Catalina paper

Post by James Barrett »

The Catalina Islander articles had something to say about Townsend Browns interest in " Flying Saucers" and after reading it again I am beginning to see that he actually did have some sort of later connection with NIGAP, even after he had stepped down . Files were indeed coming directly to him. See what they say ( which was drawn from an interview with Linda Brown apparently)

" As a child Linda often helped her father with his fascinating work load which often meant sifting through enormous stacks of UFO reports gathered from scientists around the world."

and I am remembering what Mr. Twigsnapper just said about "Papers on a desk, reports from NICAP" These have to be the papers that Linda is referring to when she gave that statement to the Avalon paper?

the paper continues ...... " Long before UDOs were "cool" Townsend Brown had their number. " Look for one that wobbles" he would tell his daughter as she sifted through the reports. " Look for the reports where the saucer was reported to be wobbling".

So its obvious that he knew exactly what he was looking for, at least in that particular instance. JDB