Chapter 66: Hot Town, Summer in the City

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: if I had that key

Post by Paul S. »

...and if I had the lock...
Victoria Steele wrote:Are you kidding? A beautiful EMPTY townhouse! I'd like to know, like grady, that they did in fact go to there for some really private time.
I just found some (more) material that I could not find when I was looking for it yesterday... but, before I paste in another correction, it occurs to me to ask the editorial committee here:

Which is better, leaving the end of that segment the way it is... or... do you really need/want it spelled out for you?? My imagination or YOURS?

I seem to be getting a lot of lessons today in what "first draft -- work in progress" really means. Some days are like that. I think I like those days.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

IMAGINATION RULES !

And the serendipitous products of imaginative voyages are the most satisfying for humans because they are ... non-obvious. Leave things as they are...don't diddle with something that's not broken. You and I know what young people would have done in their situation back then, access to a luxurious townhouse...come on...it was the 60's. Why state the obvious ?

flow....:P
Dancing is better than marching
Bulwark
Space Cadet

Re: Just wait...

Post by Bulwark »

Paul S. wrote:Ah, Bulwark, nice of you to join us... <g>
Bulwark wrote: Are the two storylines going to continue seperately? Will they ever merge? Same time, same channel....
The intent is that they will merge, though you might need 3D glasses to see how it all fits together...

--PS
Why Thank You for the greeting with a smile Mr. Schatzkin!

Now I must ask this, are the 3D glasses going to be provided by you (shipping to Alaska can be a little expensive) or can we use the dichromatic red and blue ones they give out at the theatre? If so, I have a pair that I can use and you can save the shipping.

Ah, a beautiful day up here as I finish up on the radio.

Bulwark
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

little nudges

Post by Victoria Steele »

Paul,

you said, regarding this last chapter and the ending of it ......"While I'm at it, I must give credit where it is due: including that little 'coda' at the end of the chapter with the "Cutlass" references was Elizabeth's idea. I gave her a preview of the chapter to read yesterday and suggested throwing something in about the Cutlass arriving at PNY during the period we were writing about. That's when I went and opened up the deck logs that I'd retrieved a year ago."

I read that three times trying to see where she had been the contributor and then realized that you must have forgotten to write " SHE "suggested....... which is just a little different than the way it got written. Or maybe not, I don't know, but I appreciate you giving her the credit for that thought.

I have been a technical assistant in another situation for many years and you would be surprised how many really good ideas I developed and presented later got promoted under my bosses name. And I know here that your intent was to give her the nod.

Now I have a sort of silly question for you. Did you realize at first how very important that little suggestion would turn out to be? Or did that develop after you had gone in that direction?

Elizabeth will probably laugh at me for insisting on mentioning her touch of the muse but I think its important to note that while its important to see things as they float by its also important to recognize that they come from a certain inspired direction sometimes.

Oh, and regarding the townhouse scene. Leave it just as it is. My imagination painted that whole situation quite nicely thankyou! Victoria
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

PaulS,
I am going to read that agin, it was so good, with this playing in the background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91uLJ00B1h4
And it doesn't matter if you get it right at first, its all MAGIC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtQpZysa7UA
Kevin
fibonacci is king
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Whilst we are thinking about speakers, if I could take a BEE LINE to what someone would have liked to say through those speakers?
And I assure you that scalar waves are dead straight, to infinity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0_IG7TGJn4
Kevin
fibonacci is king
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

help

Post by Mikado14 »

kevin.b wrote:Whilst we are thinking about speakers, if I could take a BEE LINE to what someone would have liked to say through those speakers?
And I assure you that scalar waves are dead straight, to infinity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0_IG7TGJn4
Kevin
Ok Kevin, a scalar wave is a standing wave and how is it referenced to the honeycombs?

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
ladygrady
Junior Birdman

missing notebook time

Post by ladygrady »

Just reminding you that you said this

"Well, let's see... we could check his personal notebooks, but, then, remember... "No notes were made" from 1959 to 1967. We're right in the middle of of that period."

So WHEN and WHERE was Dr. Brown when he STOPPED writing in those "public" lab notebooks? I say public because these are the notebooks that have been copied and are available on line, right?

So when exactly did he stop? and when exactly did he start writing again? That span of time is the hole that we need to investigate carefully. And like you said Paul " we are right in the middle of that period" which tells me that whatever is happening is highly secret at the time.

And I agree with others who have said that they don't believe that Dr. Brown was not keeping notes. So then there is another set of notebooks that are out there somewhere .... right? I just wonder what a person could learn if they had THOSE notebooks. Probably stuff we don't need to know quite yet. grady
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Ladygrady,

Yes, I have some of the journals (1,2, and part of 4) that were copied and distributed by one of Townsend's "friends" (now nameless). These are at: http://www.qualight.com/journals/missing.jpg (the Qualight website has been reconfigured, and the research docs are now in the Library Section). This complete "first" set is in the Brown family library.

The other set was taken (we believe) to the "Library" just prior to his death in 1985 ("Every Cabbie in Catalina" chapter) with the assistance of Morgan.

The missing journal period is October 1958 through October 1967. "During the period from October 1958 to October 1967 (9 years) no notes were made.

On September 29, 1958 - the journal puts his location at Walkertown, NC.
On October 23, 1967 - the journal puts his location at Santa Monica, CA.
Andrew
Qualight Environmental
(http://www.qualight.com, http://www.qualightenv.com, http://www.qualightscp.com)

"If you think the situation is under control, then you don't truly understand the situation."
ladygrady
Junior Birdman

accurate dates

Post by ladygrady »

Thank you Andrew for that information.

So what you are saying here that the "first set"? That you have available has a gap in it where Dr. Brown simply wrote that phrase " During the period from October 1958 to September 23 1967 no notes were taken".

So apparently this " gap" is in one of those first notebooks. And after he "resumed" his writing in 1967 they went forward then until his death?

But you say that there is a " second set????" This " other set" that you mention I totally agree with you MUST exist. The man I think would be unable to keep from writing in a daily notebook. You don't do something as important as he was doing and not take notes. But I can understand why they would not be made available. Nine years is alot of notes.

What " Library?" were those second notebooks taken to? I've read that part " Every Cabbie in Catalina" so I know that he took things away from the island just before Dr. Brown died and Paul made careful note that he was traveling with Morgan. Two and Two together.

Paul has said that Morgan told him that these other notebooks were " somewhere safe" and I guess thats all thats going to be said about them. Does any one know how many there are? And what they look like?

So I wonder if he stopped writing in the "second set" when he started up again with the first? I personally think that he would have kept up with both. One for public consumption someday and ..... one .... not.

Its an odd situation. That nine year stretch. After that long why did he bother to go back to those particular first notebooks? So are these things like journals or daybooks, or what? I am assuming that they are not just spiral notebooks or looseleaf style things. He would pick something that would stand the test of time I think.

I thought for a moment that maybe the reason he didn't write in them was that they were in that " Ashlawn storage" that he was fighting with Decker over but the dates are not right. Back to the drawing boards.

I imagine that there is quite a bit of interest out there regarding those notebooks, all of them but especially the ones that he was writing during that "black " period. Boy. what if those things could tell their own story! Whew! grady
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Mikado14,
If a bee colony wants to create new Queen bees, they simply alter the geometry of the honeycomb , thus the ordinary bee will develop as a Queen.
I also promise you that such as bees place and build their nests with absolute precision upon a matrix, I KNOW because I can see the invisable , I am a hobbit.
The overwhelming majority of people cannot comprehend of the matrix, its measure , its method of creation, and its ability to create infinite alterations.
Think geometrically, and how a different geometric pattern will create a different creation.
kevin
fibonacci is king
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Having Fun, Dr. Freud?

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:you said, regarding this last chapter and the ending of it ......"While I'm at it, I must give credit where it is due: including that little 'coda' at the end of the chapter with the "Cutlass" references was Elizabeth's idea. ....I read that three times trying to see where she had been the contributor and then realized that you must have forgotten to write " SHE "suggested....... which is just a little different than the way it got written. \
Yeah, I left a word out. But I put the word back in (in the original post) and will only add here that, as Victoria has pointed out, "SHE [Elizabeth] suggested that I add that coda about the Cutlass."

I had originally thought there would be three chapters from this time period, leading up to the circumstances of the Browns' departure from Philadelphia in early 1967. That would have included some reference to the Cutlass. I then realized I need some more lead-in from the other story line, because there is a detail I need to have in place that ties the two story lines together. So I'd originally figured to mention the Cutlass, then decided not too, and then Elizabeth correctly suggested that there still needed to be at least a mention of her presence before switching back to the other story line. (Brace yourself, grady...)
I have been a technical assistant in another situation for many years and you would be surprised how many really good ideas I developed and presented later got promoted under my bosses name. And I know here that your intent was to give her the nod.
The whole reason I brought it up.
Now I have a sort of silly question for you. Did you realize at first how very important that little suggestion would turn out to be? Or did that develop after you had gone in that direction?
The real revelation came back after Martin mentioned the "power supply" business, and I went back to the "cutting room floor" and dug out the "microphone" reference. I now have a very large dent on my forehead.

Submarine. "Non-existent" microphone. Duh.
Elizabeth will probably laugh at me for insisting on mentioning her touch of the muse but I think its important to note that while its important to see things as they float by its also important to recognize that they come from a certain inspired direction sometimes.
Hey, even when you recognize them when they drift by, somebody still has to send them into the ether. The real question is... where did THAT person get it?
Oh, and regarding the townhouse scene. Leave it just as it is. My imagination painted that whole situation quite nicely thankyou!
That's my girl.... thanks.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Post by Paul S. »

kevin.b wrote:PaulS,
I am going to read that agin, it was so good, with this playing in the background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91uLJ00B1h4
That's a YouTube video of "Summer in the City." I had actually found that while I was working on this chapter and listened to it a time or two. Now I've gone ahead and made the title in the chapter a link to this clip. Soundtrack for your reading....

And it doesn't matter if you get it right at first, its all MAGIC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtQpZysa7UA
Kevin
And that is "Do You Believe in Magic." That's a cool clip because it's an actual live recording, not lip-sync'd like a lot of those "music videos" from the 60s.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Ladygrady,

The journals were written in bound, hardcover notebooks. Paul or Elizabeth might remember the specifics. They have a black, pressboard cover, with a red binding on the left.

The closest thing I see online at Staples is http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rea=SEARCH, but I think they have the correct one in the stores.

I'm afraid my memory is a little loose on the number - I can't quite remember if there were seven or eight, beginning in October 1, 1955 in Leesburg, VA, and ending shortly before his death in 1985, Avalon, Catalina Island.

If I remember correctly, Linda Brown said he had a set of approximately the same number that he took with him from Avalon.

Additionally, there are other journals here and there floating around - only some of which I have seen.

My opinion of the set of the "public" notebooks is that they cover basic concepts only. If someone is looking for the specs to build a spacecraft or FTM then they are barking up the wrong tree. The additional notebooks, such as the Structure of Space contain more of the nuts and bolts of the operations.

Interestingly enough, the Structure of Space was written 1942-ish and is more advanced and comprehensive than the "public" set of notebooks.
Andrew
Qualight Environmental
(http://www.qualight.com, http://www.qualightenv.com, http://www.qualightscp.com)

"If you think the situation is under control, then you don't truly understand the situation."
ladygrady
Junior Birdman

more advanced?

Post by ladygrady »

Thats an interesting statement Andrew, that the " Structure of Space notebooks are " more advanced" than the " public notebooks" ( differentiated from the " secret notebooks" which may be with Morgan?. What caught my attention was that you feel that this notebook (? Notebooks?) written in 1942 or so IS MORE ADVANCED than the books he started to write in 1955 and which are now somewhat available for us to read. That is again ..... odd. Odd seems to be turning into my favorite word but I can't get away from it. "This whole this is just getting odder and odder.

And in reading this last chapter again I am sort of struck with the fact that the storage in Bryn Mawr figures so prominently in Dr. Browns concerns. Lets see. All that furniture was packed up when they left for Florida and put into that storage facility. I know from the chapter " Closing Ashlawn" that his assistant Charles Miller took much of the " office" to San Francisco ... so what would have been left that would have concerned him so?. Beautiful furniture I am sure! Photograghs? Oriental rugs probably. Things left from his Mothers estate?

Perhaps it was just a matter of principal. I guess that Mr. Decker had promised that he would pick up on the storage tab per month but wasn't doing it, perhaps thats all there was to it, which I guess meant alot to Dr. Brown. He had taken the man at his word.

So, I wonder, were those first lab notebooks with the gap in them in storage in Bryn Mawr? The " gap " started in 1958 but he must have had them with him when he was at Ashlawn.( 1964?) If he wasn't actively writing in them might Josephine had packed them up and put them in storage? I just get the sense that there is a story there that needs to be unraveled.

You know, you don't pay the space rent on those storage places they sell off all the stuff and you lose out. I don't think that Dr. Brown would have let it get to that but Paul seems to indicate that part of his concerns regarding that storage was that there were "papers" of importance involved. Maybe the first set of lab notes ( up to 1958) were at risk?

Not to mention the things that were obviously favorites of Lindas and Josephines. We all know that Josephine had her teapot with her but when she left for Florida she just had the things that she put in the Cadillac so you KNOW there were very many fine things and memorable things that Dr. Brown was not about to lose. And Linda went to Southern Seminary with just a trunk load of her clothes, leaving many personal things behind, I am sure.

So, did they furnish that new townhouse with the fine things from storage? Did Linda get her cherrywood bedroom set ( knowing Philadelphia I can imagine how beautiful that was) Got off on a tangent. Sorry.

And as for the key and the townhouse I am like the rest of you. I can imagine well enough about those two lovers at Rittenhouse. Paul is being a gentleman by not going further but he tells us what is going to happen because why else would he mention that key in her pocket? I love it. grady