It's a small world after all.

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

more questions

Post by Victoria Steele »

Good questions Andrew. Pondering those.

Meanwhile anybody out there know an outfit called the
U.S. Naval Institute ? I found reference to it by reading page 478 of the note section of " Blind Mans Bluff" which I think any of its readers will agree is one heck of a well researched book about sub operations. Listen to this and you guys tell me what you think:

“Admiral Watkins also explained to us why he thought the U.S. subs force still could have countered the Soviets under the ice, as well as some of the moves he and others made to intimidate the Soviets psychologically. One of the most fascinating involved Watkins decision to allow the U.S. Naval Institute ( a private, nonprofit organization that works closely with the Navy ) to publish the first edition of Tom Clancys’ submarine novel THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER in 1984 even though some Admirals believed it would enable the Soviets to learn more about U.S. submarine capabilitiesâ€
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

our capabilities?

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

I don't know how you managed to find that quote Victoria but thats a gem!

Watkins decision to allow the U.S. Naval Institute ( a private, nonprofit organization that works closely with the Navy ) to publish the first edition of Tom Clancys’ submarine novel THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER in 1984 even though some Admirals believed it would enable the Soviets to learn more about U.S. submarine capabilities.

The thing that immediately comes into my head is ..... lets see .... the RED OCTOBER was supposed to be a revolutionary Soviet sub that used what they called " Catepillar Drive" A form of " no moving parts" and " totally silent" propulsion system. Yet an Admiral of the United States Navy is worried that the movie Red October might " enable the Soviets to learn more about US sub capabilities." What? That WE WERE THE ONES with the silent subs, not the Russians? Elizabeth
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

What's in a Name?

Post by Paul S. »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote: The thing that immediately comes into my head is ..... lets see .... the RED OCTOBER was supposed to be a revolutionary Soviet sub that used what they called " Catepillar Drive" A form of " no moving parts" and " totally silent" propulsion system.
Would that be a... Cheshire Cat-erpillar drive?

:wink:

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

You have it all wrong. I believe that is where the USS Nimitz went back in time and...wait a minute, right place, wrong year.......never mind.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

I think I got it. That is where Morgan Leaped back in time with his hologram sidekick named Chessie and ..... naw, that don't sound right either.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Mikadi 14,
Stop fighting it,
Its just a jump to the left,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdu7xoHU9DA
time warp , EHD , dont faint, its another dimension.

kevin
fibonacci is king
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

oh, I don't faint

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Oh, Kevin, I don't faint. And you would be surprised at how many directions I can take almost instantly. Ever see a white rabbit surviving in heavy traffic. Yes, like that.

Again blind to Utube, but I will take your word for it. Elizabeth
Moldova
Space Cadet

Wow!!! Time travels so quickly in cyber space...

Post by Moldova »

Getting difficult to stay abreast... This post is growing exponentially. Getting back to the Grinder. I prefer to just say I "have" and "have not" met Twigsnapper in person.

On to "Project Jennifer". Exactly when did Project Azore become Project Jennifer?

Next question is was it project jennifer before the actual recovery or did it get that name before the whole project went public?
To quote the last famous words of Socrates... "I drank what?!"
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Elizabeth Helen Drake,
This blindness must be righted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzV51yXLTY0
everything spirals.by implosion, NOT explosion, ***k the bomb.
Mushroom clouds.
Watch for the man with the cane.
Feed your head.
Jefferson airplane again, Alice.
Kevin
fibonacci is king
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Moldova,

From page 5 of this thread, Mr. Twigsnapper wrote:
And another interestng tidbit, You might note that the original name for the project was supposed to be "Azorian" but was changed to "Jennifer" after the visit to Catalina.
Andrew
Qualight Environmental
(http://www.qualight.com, http://www.qualightenv.com, http://www.qualightscp.com)

"If you think the situation is under control, then you don't truly understand the situation."
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Keeping Up...

Post by Paul S. »

Easier said than done. Riiiiight

So refresh my over challenged memory again... when was the GloMar visit to Catalina?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
grinder
Senior Officer

have and have not?

Post by grinder »

Moldova " Have and have not met him?". I read that Have met him, can't talk about it. About right? Understandable.

And oddities abound. After Slick mentions St. Nicolas Island this little news flash hit the screen

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... /707300757

Which I found full of irony considering the little comments that have flashed back and forth. I had thought that St. Nicolas was totally restricted airspace but apparently this flight originated there. Not going any further with this thats for sure other than ask ... so whats happening at St. Nicolas Island? grinder
grinder
Senior Officer

I might have some answers

Post by grinder »

Hey, I might have SOME answers.

Mr. Twigsnapper mentioned that the Glomar Explorer was built by Sun Shipbuilding ( thats just South of Philadelphia apparently) ... she couldn't go through the canal so she had to go through the cape of South America. Arrived at Catalina , am not so sure the exact date but she was launched in 1973 .... made the trip .... picked up the "Clementine" and then was over her target deep in the Pacific in 1974. Exact dates for Catalina I am not so sure. Links coming later when I can get back to this and concentrate. Anyway. I believe that these are the ballpark dates.

grinder
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: I might have some answers

Post by Mikado14 »

grinder wrote:Hey, I might have SOME answers.

Mr. Twigsnapper mentioned that the Glomar Explorer was built by Sun Shipbuilding ( thats just South of Philadelphia apparently) ... grinder
Paul,

If it is important to the story, I can arrange for you to talk to a gentleman who worked for Sun and was involved from keel to champagne.

Mikado
grinder
Senior Officer

how did he know you knew?

Post by grinder »

Mikado.

How did Mr. Twigsnapper KNOW that you would know that particular man, or did you look him up after he mentioned your name when he sent that message out on the forum?

viewtopic.php?p=8009#8009

See thats the kind of interconnectiveness that just boggles me. grinder