Chapter 62 - Meet the Browns of Ka-Lae-Hau

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: someone once said to me

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:The only difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys!
Yes, and he who dies with the most toys... is also... dead.
Anyway, is there ANY chance for a glimpse at the next chapter today
Given that it is now 5:30 some PM and I haven't written a word today... I guess you know the answer to that one.

Though I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those chapters which asks more questions than it can answer?
I dunno... still to early to tell.

Anybody know a robust e-mail program for the Mac platform? One that will handle at least two different keywords in a boolean search of the mailboxes?

I found out today that the e-mail program I've been using for like 12 years has gone out of business... <*sigh*>

It's not much of a life, but if it weren't for e-mail I'd have no life at all..

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
grinder
Senior Officer

Thats OK

Post by grinder »

Paul,

I figure we have plenty to chew on while you are getting " reconfigured" THATS the story of my life!

I have a good question when you get back up and running.

Considering that something really special happened at Pearl, and that according to Mr. Twigsnapper “ The Navy got what it wantedâ€
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

agendas

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

I keep remembering that one of Morgans first statements to Paul was “ everyone has an agendaâ€
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Good Question

Post by Paul S. »

G'morning gang... Another day, another challenge. Which OS will it be today? Windows? Mac OS-X? Or...maybe.... just go back to work and leave the platform challenges for the weekend...
grinder wrote:I figure we have plenty to chew on while you are getting " reconfigured" THATS the story of my life!
Of course, the irony of the present dilemma is that the Mac is supposed to make it all easier. Well, yes, maybe... once you've got your feet firmly planted in that environment. But getting from here to there... not so much. Anyway...

Anyway, I really appreciate the sympathy and feel badly that I have been diverted from my prime objective the past few days. So it goes...

Moving right along...
Considering that something really special happened at Pearl, and that according to Mr. Twigsnapper “ The Navy got what it wantedâ€
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

posting twice

Post by twigsnapper »

No Paul, posting twice won't count double.... Sounds like a Wrigley commercial. " Double your pleasure, double your fun!: Perhaps it would be wise to look toward the island! You wanted my impression. twigsnapper
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Ooops

Post by Paul S. »

OK, Weisenheimer, I deleted the double post.

Look toward the island.

Right.

Uh-huh.

Ummm... which island? Oahu? Nassau? Bermuda? Puerto Rico maybe? There's a big trench there, you know, sorta like... the Abyss.

Does an 'abyss' count as a 'rabbit hole?'

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

indeed

Post by twigsnapper »

Indeed. Magic rabbits cn go anywhere. Where is that thumpstick! Check out Slicks post. twigsnapper
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

As our wise friend twigsnapper infers here, the history of Catalina Is. was much involved with the fortunes of the Wrigley chewing gum empire. The original Mr. Wrigley had an extensive estate and presence on the island, and as the former owner of The Chicago Cubs made sure that the Cub's spring training camp was held there throughout the mid-twentieth century.

I don't really know what that has to do with anything here, but it is all historical fact. If you wish a glimpse of the Wrigley influence in Chicago, just look north while crossing the Chicago River on the Michigan Ave. bridge. He built the white skyscraper on the left in the twenties. He also built some bodacious homes on the north side of Lake Geneva in South Wisonsin at about the same time.

Another Chicagoan, Mr. Benny Goodman, the king of swing, is purported to have put together his precedent busting jazz quartet composed of Goodman, Gene Krupa, Teddy Wilson, and Lionel Hampton during a gig he was playing one weekend in Avalon in the mid thirties. This was a pivotal event in both musical and social history in the US, in that it publicly demonstrated that both the white and black citizens of the country could combine to make wonderful new forms of music together. And they actively demonstrated that interracial cooperation could really work for the good.

Paul, in answer to your e-mail program plea, why don't you look into .mac membership? Besides a robust e-mail service, there are lots of extras available including off-site data storage and group partnering services. I don't take advantage of much of it, but their E-mail security capabilities have made the $99 per year fee worth it for me.

Maybe an abyss is a rabbit hole for squid ?

flow.... :)
Dancing is better than marching
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Whack

Post by Paul S. »

twigsnapper wrote:Indeed. Magic rabbits cn go anywhere.
I'll bet some of 'em can even swim.
Where is that thumpstick!

Good thing I've got it where I can see it...
Check out Slicks post.
Oh, THAT island. Duh. Sorry, I have not spent any time yet with the "Slick" thread... just too many distractions here. And trying to get 63 together... <*sigh*>

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
JZimmer
Deputy SysAdmin

Just an opinion

Post by JZimmer »

Hi All,

While you have not seen me around on the forums, I have been watching the going's on since last year and I check frequently and pretty much keep up on what is going on the the world of TT Brown. In following all the comments on this thread, I got to thinking about the possibilities of advanced sub tech in the 50’s and just don’t have the opinion about this issue that some of you appear to have.

Generally I think a lot of the principals and possible inventions that Dr. Brown may have created have a lot of merit, so don’t take this as a negative; Just consider it more food for thought.

In thinking about this Truman/Secret meeting stuff that has been floating around I just can’t see the US having that type of technology and not using it. To me it just doesn't seem as likely as other items such as time travel or gravity drives. I feel this way because I can’t see the latter having the same huge military impact that a high speed, silent submarine drive, so the reasons to keep it quite just don't make sense to me.

Think national defense for a moment. If we had tech to allow us to have really advanced sub technology I would have thought that the cold war should have/would have gone differently. With that tech, we could have made lots of there sub fleet that constituted a large part of the nuke threat "disappear" without anyone being the wiser.

In comparison, a grav drive would have made us a lot stronger from an air power prospective, but it's harder to hide and I don't think would have had nearly the impact on the balance of power during the cold war.

So, it's just my opinion, but I think that the idea that we have really high tech sub tech in the early 40's and 50's a lot less possible that it's counterpart the really high speed aircraft.

Anyway, that is my opinion and Im sticking to it….. lol :roll:
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

valued opinions

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Welcome JZimmer!

Thank you for speaking up! Of course we value what you have to say and want to hear it. Not much good for us to just have one point of view!

I agree with much of what you have said but must say from my end of it I see alot of publicity for the SAC bombers and missles and everything else that the Air Force trotted out in the late fifties and early sixties but not so much was ever really said for the submarines , except of course Rickovers nuclear navy. Now I don't know whether that is a reflection of their importance in the scheme of national defense ... or perhaps just a different operational style. I am reminded that the subs were called the " Silent Service" and maybe that had alot to do with the publics concept of them too.

As for us "having the technology and not using it". Well we can sure explore that. If it was being "used" how would JohmQ Public know about it? One of the most highly kept secrets in America was that such an organization as the National Reconnaisance Office was in exitence. I understand that they are responsible for this countries intelligence via satellites. They also use submarines as one of their arms. That a whole avenue none of us has really explored much so thats my answer to " not using it" . Perhaps we have used it. Are using it on a daily basis? More soon on this. This is a good discussion!

Thanks so much for joining the conversation! Looking forward to more!
Elizabeth
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

The NURO

Post by twigsnapper »

Alongside the NRO there was also the NURO (The National Underwater Reconnaissance Office a top secret Navy/CIA run office, still is) I believe the navy and the CIA take turns with leadership, which you can imagine can cause some strife. Interesting history there.

You might notice that in "Blind Mans Bluff" ( which is excellent by the way) the NURO is mentioned in the Index whereas the NRO is written about but not listed at all in the Index. Surprising to me that they admit even now that they exist. twigsnapper
JZimmer
Deputy SysAdmin

Interesting, but further enhances my point

Post by JZimmer »

Thanks Twigsnapper ( hope the spelling is correct)!

I feel honored to get a response from you on my first post.

First I have the highest regard for those in the sub service and they all deserve a lot of respect and our gratitude.

So, I agree and know that there are a lot if sub encounters that we know and don't know about, so for the sake of argument let me continue my line of thinking.

What I am saying here is that if we had a fast, silent propulsion system for submarines that the conflict would have probably been much different and more in our favor.

Also, consider that at the peak of the cold war, I would have thought that we would have used every possible advanced weapons system to combat soviet boomers and the threat that they caused.

Last, unlike anrcraft where you can hide them easily, servicing multiple 6000+ ton subs makes it hard to hide a really advanced design. Additionally, unlike aircraft, a sub requires hundreds if not thousands of people to build, run and service them. Just too much to hide and too many people to keep quiet.

Ok, ok so it is possible, I just don't see how you could hide or keep secret that type of technology between the 1950's and now. Too many people, too many sources for a leak or rumor.

Anyway, enough from me on the topic. Everyone have a great day & thanks for your time!!

Jim Z.
Langley
Senior Officer

Re: someone once said to me

Post by Langley »

Paul S. wrote:
Anybody know a robust e-mail program for the Mac platform? One that will handle at least two different keywords in a boolean search of the mailboxes?

I found out today that the e-mail program I've been using for like 12 years has gone out of business... <*sigh*>

It's not much of a life, but if it weren't for e-mail I'd have no life at all..

--PS
Im unsophisticated and only use yahoo but you could go looking here: http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ Paul.

Windows? whats that. But then Im eccentric.
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

hmmmm

Post by Mikado14 »

And what if those subs were not the 6000 ton variety? What if we are talking more of recon? What if you had a fleet of say 20 small recon subs with maybe a dozen crewmen and the ability to launch a couple of missles, oh maybe 4? That means 80 missles could be launched virtually from anywhere relatively fast.

Hell, just a day dream anyway.

Mikado

Nice to meet you JZimmer!
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy