350+ Pages = A "Sprawling Epic"

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

first copies

Post by twigsnapper »

I noted another interesting comment from Radomir. Talking about Pauls first draft he said:

"While I'm sure the final version of your text will be more refined, tight, concise and smooth in the transitions, I'll still want my own copy of the "extended cut" loose-leaf binder original, and not just for the collector or sentimental value. Some stuff is bound to have to be cut, and I'll still want to refer to the fuller version from time to time as a reference. No need to trouble your future publisher about that, I'll still purchase plenty of copies of the bound first edition (signed)...

R.

And I thought that too, maybe there will be an opportunity while this is happening for us all on the forum to have our own " extended cut" versions. You know the one that will probably have many of the comments that might not eventually make the final draft. I just think it would be wonderful to have all those initial thoughts , and how much fun it will be to compare that to the hardback edition! I know that as far as I am concerned those earlier editions will be collectors items! twigsnapper
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: redheads

Post by Paul S. »

Mikado14 wrote:Remember Queen Elizabeth?
Well, not personally, no, but I've read a bit and seen a few movies about her. Cate Blanchette is still my favorite "Elizabeth."

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: galloping toward the end

Post by Paul S. »

Believe me, my wife certainly hopes we're galloping...
grinder wrote: So forgive me girls if I just say ...... "whenever .... Paul."
I'm tickled that Victoria thinks the chapter she expected last Thursday is "early" because it showed up on a Tuesday instead. Talk about time travel... it's so late it's early!
What happens when a publisher shows up?
We'll burn that bridge after we cross it... The farnovision site might be a model.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Of Methods and Madness

Post by Paul S. »

grinder wrote:I figure, if you have as much already out, the story is getting out there. New considerations , new discussions. And maybe thats all part of the development of future leads and sources. Maybe you can't get where you need to get without this sort of interaction from readers out here in Internet land.
I think grinder has pretty well put his finger on it there, Trickfox's earlier comments not withstanding.

I'd been swimming around in this soup for quite a while already when I decided to launch this website, and it has provided the vehicle which has propelled the whole process. I find the idea that there is any audience out there at all very motivating. I need a reason to stare at the blank screen every day, and all you people here are it.
I wondered who it was really that encouraged you to post your chapters like this Paul? I would be willing to bet it was Mr. Twigsnapper. Am I right?
Sorry, Mr. T has been instrumental in countless ways (today's chapter, just for example), but the idea to start "ttbrown.com", post chapters, and start a forum, I'm taking full credit for that.
And if that is the case then I can sort of understand the method to his madness.
I think we can all see the method in our collective madness...<g> A multi-generational project, a living-breathing thing... we are all corpuscles in this plasma flow...
I think there are many things that he can not tell you outright.

Ya think??
Hey, I don't know about the rest of you but I am real proud for any part I might play in that.
And I am grateful for all the input and feedback as well. Truly, I could not have come this far were it not for all of you "pulling" for me and the story.
But if we all find other sources for that same information then it relieves him of having to be your only source, right?

That's a very important point. In fact, one of the very first points that Morgan made when he first contacted me was that anything he told me, I would have to corroborate via outside sources. Now, fortunately, that principal has not been as rigorously enforced as when it was first presented (particularly since a lot of the material is based on his own personal recollections), but your point re: finding "other sources" is a valid one. Not easy, but necessary.
I guess Mr. Twigsnapper has his own particular reasons for maintaining his security and privacy.
And every bread crumb he tosses us is a feast to be savored...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Interactive

Post by greggvizza »

Paul,

I think you may go down in history as the person that started the interactive book craze. I am not going to be able to just read a book and be satisfied anymore. I will always want to participate in the plot. This is such a totally immersive experience and I don’t see how we will ever be able to go back to the old way of reading ever agin. We have all been ruined.

grinder feels the same way:
grinder wrote:This has all been so interesting but I was struck with the thought that, with each chapter that goes by we are sort of " galloping toward the end" So forgive me girls if I just say ...... "whenever .... Paul." I am really enjoying the ride!

What happens when a publisher shows up? The site can't possibly stay up the way it is now, can it? Maybe just a caption for each chapter? but then maybe they won't even want you to do that? I know that day is coming and its going to be sad. Only twenty more chapters to go? Take your time.

grinder
GV
grinder
Senior Officer

involved

Post by grinder »

You bet Gregg. This is one of the most amazing experiences that I have ever had. Its like this "book" reaches out and just sort of grabs at you. Things you THOUGHT you knew you begin to realize could be faulty . And you are right, we will never quite ever be the same again. Blame Paul! He done it!

Thats why I agree with something that Mark C said many months ago. Once written Pauls book needs to have at least one copy in every highschool library in the country. Now there would be a challenge worth attacking.

How would we go about doing that Mark? Have you thought about it any further? I had thought that there would be Foundations that would be willing to buy the books and supply them to the various libraries. We talked about that once, didn't we? I remember the conversation about just how public schools get the books that they have on their shelves. Perhaps a "Library Project" is something we could talk about again, once Paul gets closer to a publishing date.

Look at all the opportunities to learn that this book presents. There is hardly a page that doesn't scream out ... LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS!

And above and beyond that ... the discussion groups that will spawn from reading the book will reach for the stars! and the depths of the oceans! yeah! I am a little excited! No book club discussion group quite like the ones this book will spawn!

And I really appreciate that Paul seems as dumbfounded as we are most of the time., with new material that comes in his direction. This is really a brave new land! grinder