THE LAST MIMZY

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

THE LAST MIMZY

Post by twigsnapper »

We actually do need this site Paul. Really. I am not just growing your garden outside of the fence! <g>

I hope that many of you by now have seen the show. It did not get the publicity that it deserved, being served up as a " childrens Science fiction" but it was FAR beyond that. I am exceedingly curious to see the discussion this topic will raise to the surface.

The movie was drawn from a short story written in 1943 by a fellow by the name of Henry Kuttner with not just a little assistance from his very gifted wife. The name they chose to use was " Lewis Padgett"

I encourage all of you, sleuths that you are, to investigate "Mimzy" and to see the movie. I guarantee you that you will recognize some very familiar threads. Keep in mind that those threads were first cast out there in 1943.

Good hunting. twigsnapper
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

any explanation?

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Following the vibrating thread on the title "Mimsy were the Borogoues" (Now you have to admit, even the tense of that title is wierd.)

So, I simply typed up "Borogoues" and did a search on that word because I had never seen it before (maybe displaying my failings here ) and wondered why the authors Kuttner and Moore would choose such a name and what it meant.

So why was I drawn to this site, which is in Russian???? or Polish????? anyway something I don't read but look at the picture everybody! I just fell in this darned rabbit hole again! I just want to know how that happened? How did I get back to Alice in Wonderland in a different language? from a word used by the "Lewis Padgett" team in 1943???????

http://lib.ru/CARROLL/carrol1_2.txt

Actually, it was the drawing that I find most fascinating.

And also I remember Eldridge Johnsons fascination with this story and the fact that he had one of the first hand written copies on board the Caroline in the thirties.

I really don't need to know WHAT the connection means to recognize that somewhere, somehow there is this golden thread running through all of this. The Last Mimzy included. Elizabeth
grinder
Senior Officer

anybody read this?

Post by grinder »

Anybody out there know anything about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_infl ... Wonderland

Its an interesting group of information, much to think about but I found this the most interesting link. Just wondered if anyone out there has been there before me?

Alice in Quantumland, by Robert Gilmore, is an allegory of quantum mechanics told through the adventures of Alice's explorations of the world of modern physics, with quanta depicted as eccentric characters similar to those in Wonderland, and quantum laws as the nonsensical or counter-intuitive rules governing Carroll's world

Did Eldridge Johnson somehow know this ahead of time? Did "Padgett" know it ahead of time.

And what about the feminine side of things, what about Henry Kuttners wife? What sort of connections did SHE have. SEE Mr. Twigsnapper! Am I learning to ask the right questions? grinder
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

I wondered......

Post by Mikado14 »

......just how long it would take for someone to mention this particular movie. I never would have guessed that it would have been you my dear Mr. Twigsnapper.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

this is it.

I guess I was spelling it wrong but here is where I was trying to go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimsy_were_the_Borogoves

Catch some of this:

Mimsy Were The Borogoves is a science fiction short story by Lewis Padgett that was originally published in the February 1943 issue of Astounding Science Fiction Magazine....................jumping around now, but PLEASE everybody read the whole thing ..........

THIS IS ONE INTERPRETATION OF THE STORY OF COURSE YOU ALL KNOW THIS IS JUST SCRATCHING THE SURFACE.

"This story presents scientific questions regarding development of the brain at an early age. The primary basis of the story is the fact that young children have the ability to adapt to different methods of thinking more than adult brains can. This is founded on the science of neurology, and has much basis in fact. At the age of one year old, children have approximately one billion neural pathways with the ability to carry information to the brain. At the age of seven, this number has decreased to around 900 thousand, and by puberty, it is down to 500 thousand.[citation needed] This story presents a logic separate from Euclid, that children are able to pick up while adults are not. With a child's neural pathways still intact, they would be able to adapt to a new method of thinking that would be impossible for an adult."

There is much to talk about with this movie .... and actually maybe even more to be talked about with the original short story. Sending things BACK from the future to inform and perhaps improve our path? Isn't that what we have been talking about here?

"Although the parents, Dennis and Jane, are often preoccupied with their own lives, they suspect something odd is happening with their children and become worried. They consult with a child psychologist, Rex Holloway, who quickly recognizes the strangeness of the toys and realizes that their interaction with the children is effecting changes in their minds. He suspects the toys' origin to be alien and that they are "educating" the children, introducing an "x factor" into Scott's and Emma's thought processes. Holloway believes their young, still-forming minds are pliable enough to be profoundly affected by the devices.

The two children, helping each other, begin to construct a pathway into another dimension — the dimension where the people of the future live — that the toys are conditioning them to find. At Holloway's direction their parents take the toys away from them. Undeterred, the children proceed with their efforts."

All this talk about " waiting for our eyes to be open ... for our witts to become sharper .... are we watching the process through which that may occur? Giving us eventually the chance to build that "pathway to another dimension?" Have I missed the boat or is that what we have been actually talking about here? Elizabeth
grinder
Senior Officer

heavy thoughts

Post by grinder »

Whew Elizabeth, you are one heavy duty thinker.

Need to find the book. Need to see the movie. What makes me think much of it is going to be VERY VERY familiar to me already. grinder
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

no secret

Post by twigsnapper »

Its no secret. I particularly liked the movie.

The little girl actually looks a great deal like Linda Brown did at that age. Watch the way she automatically burroughs into the communication with Mimzie. What is it that is the most important? Love and Hope. And that little girl can go straight to that. In the movie though, watch for the scene ..... she knows what must be done but she needs her brother to do the building because he is the "engineer". And I see that here too in a strange and mystical way. Bridges or ships to be built need to be solid and no one person can do it.

It surprises you Mikado? You should know that I have always believed in quantum rabbits!

Linda Brown qualifies more than anyone will ever know in the " special persons category" but thats not what the message is really all about and she would be the first one to tell you that. She believes everyone is THAT special. We just don't know it yet. We have been conditioned not to know it and its not an easy thing to reverse. No outside force can make the change. It has to be an internal thing with each individual person. And that process might just take a very long time. Or it might just happen " in the blink of an eye".

twigsnapper
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

missing equation?

Just found this which surely is interesting

Back in 1942, Emma and Scott have stumbled upon Through the Looking-Glass, and the words of Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" provide the missing key to a time-space equation that enables them to travel on to the alien destination. Their father arrives in the doorway of Scott's bedroom as the children vanish in a "direction Paradine could not understand."

Words of the "Jabberwocky????" provide the missing key?????
Paul you have " Alice in Wonderland" don't you? Do you know what the "Jabberwocky" said? Am I NUTS for asking you that. I have to be NUTS.

Anybody else out there happen to know what those words are?
I am embarrassed to admit that I have never read Carrolls book. But I sure wish I had it here now. Internet hunting I guess, coming up!

Elizabeth
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

I feel silly

But indulge me on this exercise. From Carrol .... Jabberwock Poem

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
: : Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
: : All mimsy were the borogoves,
: : And the mome raths outgrabe.

: :
: : "Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
: : The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
: : Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
: : The frumious Bandersnatch!"

: : He took his vorpal sword in hand:
: : Long time the manxome foe he sought --
: : So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
: : And stood awhile in thought.

: : And, as in uffish thought he stood,
: : The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
: : Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
: : And burbled as it came!

: : One, two! One, two! And through and through
: : The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
: : He left it dead, and with its head
: : He went galumphing back.

: : "And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
: : Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
: : O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
: : He chortled in his joy.

: : `Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
: : Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
: : All mimsy were the borogoves,
: : And the mome raths outgrabe.

Elizabeth
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Trailer

Post by Radomir »

If anyone wants to view the trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/thelastmimzy/

Also, I can't recall if someone mentioned the movie Meet the Robinsons, which we saw last weekend with the kids. Though it apparently isn't interesting for our discussion at the same level as the Mimzy movie, it also involved themes of inventions by a young boy, and time travel.

R.
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Elizabeth,
If you go to this site, go to manifold 13 ( love that number )
then to lemmawocky.
http://www.jaworski.co.uk/
You will like this,
http://www.reelclassics.com/Movies/Mini ... ialog2.htm
Catches a time?
Kevin
fibonacci is king
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: no secret

Post by Mikado14 »

twigsnapper wrote: It surprises you Mikado? You should know that I have always believed in quantum rabbits!
I know my friend.........I know, but.........I wonder when your eyes were first opened to quantum rabbits and who gave you the eyes to see. You never did answer a question I put forth a while back. Seventh son? a quiet evening, the closing of eye, a quantum slip and one can feel the mud...again.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

slow sometimes

Post by twigsnapper »

Mikado,

As Paul will tell you, I am sometimes slow to answer.

Sometimes its because I have forgotten the question ( yes Paul, I admit it. Not that much mystery there.) On the other hand sometimes I am just not ready to answer. And since I am not prone to give explanations freely, that generally means it turns into the situation we have here.

What did I just say? <g>

Stay with us Mikado, as I know that you will. The answers unfold.

twigsnapper
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

navigator

Post by twigsnapper »

kevin my boy. You are the Master Navigator. twigsnapper
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: Trailer

Post by Paul S. »

Radomir wrote:If anyone wants to view the trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/thelastmimzy/
Well, that certainly got my attention. I'm off to see the movie at noon today. How come I NEVER saw a SINGLE trailer for this film ANYWHERE -- not in a theater, not on the TeeVee. Huh??
Also, I can't recall if someone mentioned the movie Meet the Robinsons, which we saw last weekend with the kids. Though it apparently isn't interesting for our discussion at the same level as the Mimzy movie, it also involved themes of inventions by a young boy, and time travel.
I want to see that one too, but it may have to wait until the DVD comes out unless I can snag a bootleg online somewhere...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer