THE LAST MIMZY

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: A WHAT?

Post by Mikado14 »

Trickfox wrote:What's a "Tilt A Whirl car"?

trickfox
Thunderoad.....1985

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

old phrase

Post by twigsnapper »

I always appreciated the saying of the Mitchum character that he had a "machine gunners outlook and death don't phase him much"

If we are on the same page. Good movie.

Line I liked from a Springstein song of the same title ... interesting lyrics floating past. Something like .... "Its a long walk from your front porch to my front seat."

Perhaps someone out there is familiar with that? twigsnapper
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

long walks

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

As in ..............

Well I got this guitar
And I learned how to make it talk
And my car's out back
If you're ready to take that long walk
>From your front porch to my front seat
The door's open but the ride it ain't free
And I know you're lonely
For words that I ain't spoken
But tonight we'll be free
All the promises'll be broken.........

Elizabeth
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: old phrase

Post by Mikado14 »

twigsnapper wrote:I always appreciated the saying of the Mitchum character that he had a "machine gunners outlook and death don't phase him much"

Line I liked from a Springstein song of the same title ... interesting lyrics floating past. Something like .... "Its a long walk from your front porch to my front seat."

Yes, Mr. Twigsnapper,

"For all around us started out as a dream, somewhere, dare to dream and make the "stuff" that your dreams are made of." I had that printed in my daughters year book many a moon ago.

Now, does anyone have an old Tilt-A-Whirl car laying around? <g>

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Trickfox
The Magician

Finding order in the Chaos

Post by Trickfox »

"Ride designers have been fairly adept at finding chaos without appreciating the mathematics underpinning what they’re doing," Kautz notes.
The stocastic analysis of "Chaos" is exactly what it's all about folks. Like I said; One person's total chaos can also be some other person's perfect order!

The trick you need to get through it "without throwing up" (like in a Twirl-a-whirl,) is exactly what the "whirling dervishes" do. They focus upon an inner being and possess the inner space while commanding the motion at will and enjoying it (like Skiing).

So we are trusting a twirl-a-whirl for tossing us around, but if we fear and distrust the uncontrolled motion, we get sick because it's too much information for the brain.

Now,... the Slinky.... I think Kevin is pointing out that the slinky is a good example of "spring oscillators" at work down an incline. Nothing more than mechanical motion working itself down a natural incline, like those cannals in those old fortresses. -or maybe it's the crop circles?

Imagine what sort of unpredictable large spring objects could have been fabricated a long time ago!!!!

Imagine a bunch of slinkys folding over crops into patterns interweaving them!!!

Just simple smooth natural mechanical oscillation motions!!!

Still I wonder where the old english information converges on twirl-a-whirl except to say that Paul can probably be the best twirl-a-whirl operator in this project of ours.

I've looked up Thunderoad... and found THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fEobROM07I

Myself, well I'm partial to "Thunderstruck..... AC/DC
This one's for you Mr. Twigsnapper. just to show you what a bunch of crazy Canadians sound like.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6pvd_ ... nderstruck

Good thing the lyrics don't mean very much except to say "they partied too long and hard with some dancing girls in Texas".

Wonder if "Linda Brown" ever lived in Texas?

I 'm turning over the Twirl-a-whirl ride control back to you Paul.

We need that next chapter bad!!!

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

85 or 58?

Post by Paul S. »

Mikado14 wrote:
Trickfox wrote:What's a "Tilt A Whirl car"?

trickfox
Thunderoad.....1985

Mikado
You getting slightly dyslexic there, old man? I think movie "Thunder Road" was released in 1958, not 1985.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0052293/

The Springsteen song came along in '76. My man Bruce -- grew up in the same county I did. I want him at the table when Buffet and I sit down for dinner...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

So Do I

Post by Paul S. »

Trickfox wrote:I 'm turning over the Twirl-a-whirl ride control back to you Paul.
Worth reading the Wikipedia entry on "Tilt A Whirl":

Physicists Bret M. Huggard and Richard L. Kautz came up with a mathematical equation that approximates the motion of the Tilt-A-Whirl. Although it was without knowledge of chaos theory that Herbert Sellner invented the ride, in his patent text he clearly demonstrates an appreciation of chaos -- "A further object is to provide amusement apparatus wherein the riders will be moved in general through an orbit and will unexpectedly swing, snap from side to side or rotate without in any way being able to figure what movement may next take place in the car."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-A-Whirl
We need that next chapter bad!!!
I need it to, believe me. It does not serve my process at all to go as many days as I have these past two weeks without getting into the material. Takes me a while to ramp up again, ya know? But I got the process started again this morning so, I'm sure there's another chapter down this next corridor in the rabbit hole.

Stay tuned,

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

unless ....

Post by twigsnapper »

You should know by now Paul that there are usually many more answers to the questions that come down the pike than the ones that you expect are correct.

Perhaps our friend Mikado is talking stock car races ... 1985 ?
Perhaps a Tilt A Whirl there? A nearby Carnival perhaps?

Yes, Springstein on one side from N.J. .... Buffetts experiences in Nashville and friends at Compass Point on the other Much already in common already! However, sitting down with Buffett might be alot safer than trying to fly with him! <g> (in all good humor, any thing you walk away from they say ........) twigsnapper
Trickfox
The Magician

Re: old phrase

Post by Trickfox »

twigsnapper wrote:I always appreciated the saying of the Mitchum character that he had a "machine gunners outlook and death don't phase him much"

Plot summary for
Thunder Road (1958)
A veteran comes home from the Korean War to the mountains and takes over the family moonshining business. He has to battle big-city gangsters who are trying to take over the business and the police who are trying to put him in prison.

Directed by
Arthur Ripley

Writing credits
(in alphabetical order)
Robert Mitchum

story by: James Atlee Phillips
Walter Wise

Mister Twigsnapper sir ... Who said the following statement in public sir...

"I cannot remember the time frames involved, but this was what was told to me by my father, James Atlee Phillips, who is deceased. ..."

Wow....

Has an aquaintance of yours named "Jack" recently passed away here.

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: unless ....

Post by Mikado14 »

twigsnapper wrote:You should know by now Paul that there are usually many more answers to the questions that come down the pike than the ones that you expect are correct.

Perhaps our friend Mikado is talking stock car races ... 1985 ?
Perhaps a Tilt A Whirl there? A nearby Carnival perhaps?

Yes, Springstein on one side from N.J. .... Buffetts experiences in Nashville and friends at Compass Point on the other Much already in common already! However, sitting down with Buffett might be alot safer than trying to fly with him! <g> (in all good humor, any thing you walk away from they say ........) twigsnapper
Mr. Twigsnapper,

The only racing I personnally have done is a Formula V that I raced from '73 to '76 in SCCA competition. That was a little more gentlemanly than stock car, but then that is my opinion, to each his own.

One wonders why a Tilt-A-Whirl was chosen. I have often wondered why the writer chose it, perhaps the randomness that does exist in the universe (chaos) or just because it looked good.

Young boys on an adventure, how many young minds have been inspired back then for we now are seeing an insurgence of the ideas.

.........Explorers, a film by Joe Dante, highly underrated but fun.........

Mikado

To a Friend, ..... hope you enjoyed the pics.
Martin Calloway
Junior Birdman

wild blue

Post by Martin Calloway »

Mikado,

Ya gotta watch those antique sportscar, bug in their teeth racers too.

I personally liked the Explorers very much too.

You know what is happening here? We are all just mentally twiddling our thumbs untill we get some fresh information from Paul because we can't ourselves get too much farther without fresh information.

Its good company we are keeping though and interesting with discussions of sportscars and Tilt A Whirls and well, if I had gotten involved we would have talked about air races and sleek machines cooling on tarmacks and that would have led to the story passed around about how Jackie Cochran got so upset with Martin Decker for buying a good racer and then letting it sit in a weed filled pasture that she kicked him out of a party she had at her penthouse in New York City.

That might have led to the story about how Jackie hitched rides all the time (all over the world) on military jets even when she wasn't supposed to be allowed to do that. Even General Yeager would shrug his shoulders and say " What are you going to do? Its Jackie! She gets what she wants" That Lady could twist arms like nobodys business.

Same lady talked horses with Dr. Browns daughter during the spring of 1967 at her estate in Indio (and handed over the reins to one of her best Arab mares so that Linda could go for a ride)

Meanwhile a handful of pilots who had flown in from different directions for those meetings cooled their heels and tried to go find something to do with their time.)

So you see, you can get almost anywhere from almost anywhere by just sensing that there are indeed wierd connections everywhere. So Tilt A Whirls have their use in showing us we may LOOK random and disconnected but all we need is more information to realize that we are not at all separate. And this is this really special pattern going on.

And I got the pictures too. Both thank you. Martin
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: wild blue

Post by Mikado14 »

Hello Martin!
Martin Calloway wrote: Ya gotta watch those antique sportscar, bug in their teeth racers too.
Actually, the Formula Vee was built from a VW using the front steering and Suspension and the rear transaxle and engine, the ring was reversed and allowed the engine to be mid mounted. You rode with you butt about 6" off the ground over a "buck".....to do that again.
Martin Calloway wrote: Its good company we are keeping though and interesting with discussions of sportscars and Tilt A Whirls and well, if I had gotten involved we would have talked about air races and sleek machines cooling on tarmacks and that would have led to the story passed around about how Jackie Cochran got so upset with Martin Decker for buying a good racer and then letting it sit in a weed filled pasture that she kicked him out of a party she had at her penthouse in New York City.
Know the plane, it sat at Pottstown for awhile.... I would have given my eye teeth for that. I think it was an F4U or an early Corsair. Its gone now and has been for quite some time. Almost bought the B-25 that was used as the camera ship in the movie "Battle of Britain". I believe that was back in '74 or so and it might have been at Willingboro in Jersey? not sure of the name.
Martin Calloway wrote: And I got the pictures too. Both thank you. Martin
I see the flock must be talking or was there perhaps a QB meeting? If you land at Pottsown/Limerick (No, not Ireland), give me a shout.

Mikado
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

I feel as though James has just stuttered me back to this thread, Why did it stop, in time?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOZWQ6gLEXU
Knees up mother Brown.
kevin
fibonacci is king