Chapter 53 - Good For One Fare

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: Dylans song

Post by Paul S. »

..is called "She Belongs To Me" and it's on the "Bringing It All Back Home" album (same album as "It's All Over Now Baby Blue," but we haven't quite gotten to that one yet...
Victoria Steele wrote:One of my favorite songs and obviously Morgan associated the words and the song with Linda. Check it out and you will see what I mean.
listen while you read the lyrics from Victoria's post above:

https://www.ttbrown.com/mp3/SheBelongsToMe.mp3

- - - -

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Radomir
Senior Cadet

dropped the ball?

Post by Radomir »

Everybody's saying Morgan dropped the ball, but let's give the guy some credit here.

I imagine that there were a lot of things going on in the background already that Morgan couldn't share with Linda. I have to assume that if he had to be gone for the ball dropping in Time Square, it was for a good reason and besides they had just shared two solid days and nights together. He was clearly worried about her health, and I bet he was uncomfortable leaving her even for a minute. Not everyone puts the same sentimental stock in being present for the new year--and whether or not the story about a missing friend was true he must have had other pressing business elsewhere and came back as soon as he could.

I also imagine that unless both Morgan and TTB had both made very clear requests that Linda be allowed to visit him, the organization he had just joined would have preferred Morgan simply get on with erasing his former life and with adopting his new role. So something about their continued contact was deemed important not just to the two of them, but to the overall purposes of the organization (even it if was just keeping Morgan and TTB happy because Linda was happy and healthy). If Linda hadn't been so sick, they wouldn't have sent Morgan to visit her at school. Then TTB got sick, and part of his happiness and recovery is seeing his daughter hale and happy, so that meant sending her to visit Morgan in NYC.

The guy is in love with her, even though he continued to recognize it would never work out from a marriage standpoint given his arc (which, as was mentioned above, is why he didn't buy her a ring). So every moment they shared was highly prized, golden, outside of time. This is why I said if he had to leave on New Year's eve, it had to have been for a very pressing reason.

I also give him credit for coming up with that simple subway token, and in a millisecond, investing such an ordinary object with enough Meaning between the two of them that she carried it for decades. Somewhere shielded deep in the heart of our Centurion there is the spark of a poet.
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Have you never thought about the head gear that the Egyptians wore?
Gold, set with precious stones.
http://www.controverscial.com/Lapis%20Lazuli.htm
kevin
fibonacci is king
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Dropped ball and Juan

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

I re-read the chapter again. Morgan definitely left Linda alone on New Years Eve, but I don't think he dropped the ball. An action like that seems to me to be deliberate. He evidently cared (and probably still cares) for Linda deeply and unless for a very good reason, would not have left her alone with this Juan, comic book reading stranger.
I agree w/ Radomir.

BUT on a deeper level, I suspect that he, Morgan, left her w/ his friend, Juan for a reason. And I suspect that Juan will play a larger role in this story. He may be one of them, working with the same group as Morgan. And I think we will definitely hear more about Juan in the future. (Our future, but their past :wink: )

Am I stepping on your toes, Paul?

LongboardLOVELY
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
grinder
Senior Officer

good point

Post by grinder »

Yeah, thats a good point LBL. If you stand back and look at the situation really hard Morgan, I think, left Linda in probably some very good hands. I mean . I am ASSUMING this guy is a full grown person ( maybe stuck with reading comic books because thats all that happened to be available? )No .... he could have borrowed from the bookshelf that Linda mentioned in Morgans sleeping area. Maybe he didn't want to disturb her.(Maybe he was careful about not messing with Morgans stuff! Maybe he just preferred the comic books! Maybe he was doing what Morgan wanted him to do .... which was ..... to simply be there in the apartment while Linda slept. Wise move. I am thinking that Morgan had no choice over leaving and I don't think that this Juan had much choice either. He apparently left as soon as Morgan got back , so what does that tell you? MAYBE, as well as other reasons, MAYBE Morgan didn't want her out in the cold again? Remember she admitted to being tired.

Gee, I wonder what was happening where he had to be away? Searching for a lost girlfriend? (Hey, maybe one of Morgans room mates got pissed over the introduction of this girl from Florida? Or maybe he just used that as an excuse and he was out doing something for the Caroline Group? I have a feeling we are never going to know this) But it is sure fun thinking about it. grinder
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Juan

Post by Mikado14 »

I have been waiting patiently for someone.....anyone to ask the following question. Why is it that I feel as though I am standing alone but, is this the same Juan as the Juan when it was reported that Morgan had died?

Or am I alone in this.

Elizabeth? I thought for sure you would have gotten this.

Just a fugue of mind,

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Gewis
Junior Birdman

Re: Juan

Post by Gewis »

Mikado14 wrote:I have been waiting patiently for someone.....anyone to ask the following question. Why is it that I feel as though I am standing alone but, is this the same Juan as the Juan when it was reported that Morgan had died?
Er, no, I didn't make the connection. But in that context, the rest of people's speculation about Juan having a specific purpose there makes a LOT more sense. I always try to believe that some things in some places don't have purpose. Sometimes people are just idiots and it just happens the way it does. That's what it seems is frequently the case for me.

But perhaps I'm just not so bright. It seems Morgan was very purposeful in everything he did.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research!" -Einstein
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

of course

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

You are right Mikado. I let that Juan reference pass me by.

You will find the first reference to Juan here I think, so far.

"It had been several years since she’d last seen Morgan, when he had come to briefly visit her on Catalina. He’d left her with the phone number of a colleague in San Diego. “If you ever need me,â€
Bulwark
Space Cadet

A woman

Post by Bulwark »

I have been lurking in the shadows, just taking in all there is here and I see I have missed a few chapters.

A woman. I can't help but to sit here and wonder upon how many hearts have carried a woman within it. That special room where no one gets in but the holder of the key. We, as men, are so invincible, we are so strong. The pursuit of the prey, the hunt, buried deep within our genes, that drive of survival. That perpetual.....wonderlust, that feeds the furnace of our drive, until we stumble, and as we look up from the hole that has swallowed us we see a face, it is woman, to help us out and mend our wounds.

It's occasions like this when I read such a story as Paul has written, that my thoughts turn to marriage. I think of the Dali Lama, the Pope, Mother Theresa.... very spiritual people who never took the plunge. Then, on the other hand, we have Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney, who couldn't get enough of a good thing. What should I do.....what's that sound?....something is calling........ the tune that Morgan heard beckons.....and the sound of a turning key in a lock..

Bulwark
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

not the only romantic

Post by Victoria Steele »

Bulwark,

It seems I am not the only romantic at heart here.

I do think that Morgan was falling in love and I also think that he had never actually experienced it before. ( and though I think he was genuinely fond of his various bedpartners Linda somehow was different to him, Why he was so confused when Linda said " I love you." ?Fine for her to say! But he wasn't sure what that meant in his life and what it would mean for his future. The guy went to dogpaddling because he was in over his head.

She turned out to be the perfect match for him I guess because you note on the Ferry to Staten she didn't assume that they would be together at all. What she DID was give him something that she honestly felt would protect him on his travels. Thats a love that he didn't quite know how to handle I think.

And once that old boy got his heart unlocked ( and I think it had already happened somewhere in their visits together in Florida or the Bahamas. Pretty heady stuff that blue water and palm trees)) It ( his defense system)just didn't work anymore. She was on the inside and thats where I think she stayed. He might have applied more locks later but it was too late. She was on the inside already. And I think he was a romantic at heart and I guess it takes one to know one?

Victoria
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Caroline Group people seem to work in pairs.
Andrew
Qualight Environmental
(http://www.qualight.com, http://www.qualightenv.com, http://www.qualightscp.com)

"If you think the situation is under control, then you don't truly understand the situation."
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: not the only romantic

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:And once that old boy got his heart unlocked ( and I think it had already happened somewhere in their visits together in Florida or the Bahamas. Pretty heady stuff that blue water and palm trees)) It ( his defense system)just didn't work anymore. She was on the inside and thats where I think she stayed. He might have applied more locks later but it was too late. She was on the inside already. And I think he was a romantic at heart and I guess it takes one to know one?
Boy, I think Victoria's got this one pegged perfectly.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

like the type!

Post by Victoria Steele »

I guess its just me. I like the guys with hearts that they keep under lock and key. A challenge, you know. I also like guys that have some mystery to their history. I think that Morgan may have put me on overload though. There is something nice about thinking that you will see your special guy every evening, even when you know better than to ask how his day has gone! Yes, I like the type.

OK Paul. I'll go off in a corner and wait for your chapter! ( yeah, right.) Victoria
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Andrew...I was taken with your statement that the Caroline Group seemed to work in pairs.

You do realize that many of the Old Testamant Bible stories are based upon the formula of pairs of patriarchal heros teaching moral lessons. Primary examples are Cain and Abel. Jacob and Esau, the two strangers that supped at Abraham's tent with Milchezedek, etc. My work over the years has led me to the conclusion that the OT is the set of myths about the two symbolic brothers that founded western civilization in the east, and the New Testament is the myth about the third brother that was added and made civilization more complete 2,ooo years ago. And, there has been considerable conjecture in the past twenty years or so that the organizational structures of both testaments are based upon number sets and systems.

Religion is very symbolic in nature, and the fundamentalist forces of the world are vigorously fighting such interpretations even though they seem to make contemporary sense to some of us.

flow.... 8)
Dancing is better than marching
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

much in pairs

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

You are right flow on probably so many levels we don't have time to get into it all. For now I am going to try to stick to the constraints of Pauls story, and taking Andrews lead, yes, I can see that most teams he might have been dealing with were just two individuals. At the very simplest it would have been the two guys on the sending and recieving end of transmissions.

I have wondered as we have been putting all of this together if Dr. Brown had a true partner ( other than Josephine) and of course the only one who comes up as a true friend and companion was his friend Beau Kitselman. Sources have told us that they were indeed working partners for a time but then I think that Dr. Browns role slightly changed and he became what might be called a solitary player.

And though I have no confirmation of this, I rather expect that Morgan became at some point a single player too.

Of course we all might be remembering the Men in Black scenario when we start looking for two man teams! Elizabeth