Chapter 42 - Your First Lesson

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 42 - Your First Lesson

Post by Paul S. »

The lawn is mowed, and Chapter 42 is now online:

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... esson.html

No new chapter next week. Y'all go to a lake or something. That's where I'll be.

--PS
Last edited by Paul S. on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

See?

Post by Victoria Steele »

See, Mom and Dad? I told you someday I would be a force for good in the Universe! Somehow I have managed to be such an inspiration/ terror that this writer is being careful to tell me that he is indeed on "schedule" Oh! The world has turned for the better! <g> Victoria
Trickfox
The Magician

missing word

Post by Trickfox »

Paul
This was a great chapter. Can I ask how you obtained the research information? Was this written in memoires by Morgan or is this a "first hand account" directly from Morgan himself as I presume it to be?

What gives here? I think there is a word missing in this paragraph!
Remarkably, only of the mini submarines was lost when it broke loose of its tow line, all hands presumed lost with the foundering vessel.
How many were lost?

Otherwise this one is of a great value to me because of the following statement
I didn’t understand where this was taking me at the time but it satisfied my craving to do something important. I wasn’t sure how I was going to accomplish that or where I was going with it, but I was pleased to be in that position
I suppose I feel the same way right now. I have the same craving about doing something important, and I hope I can assist others in acheiving this important goal "Whatever it is".

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

One

Post by Paul S. »

This secret woid is "one." As in "one sub was lost" in the passage.

Others were lost after the "Tirpitz" mission. There is still one extant, in the British Naval Museum, I believe.

Soon as my other computer is done with a backup I'll fix it. Thanks for catching it.

The Morgan stuff is based on recollections he has shared with me. I guess that makes it "first hand memories" ?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

ah Mr. O'Reilly

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Ah, Mr. O'Reilly

I believe that you and my Dad may have met. At least I know that you had the same instructors because I have already read all about those folks that were so good with a rolled up newspaper or magazing that they could demolish well armed individuals. Correct me if I am wrong here Paul? But is it pretty obvious to me that we have had the benefit also of some of "Mr. O'Reillys" expertise. And I would venture a guess that beside the hunting knife that was thrown at Morgans feet, there was also a Fairbairn-Sykes commando knife, with a low number, in that case? Just tell me I am wrong if I am, but I doubt.

Finally we get to the part of the story where we learn a little more about you sir. Mark C.
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: ah Mr. O'Reilly

Post by Paul S. »

Mark Culpepper wrote: Just tell me I am wrong if I am, but I doubt.
Correct on all fronts.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Trickfox
The Magician

Picture of the Knife

Post by Trickfox »

The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Re: One [Great Chapter]

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Paul S. wrote:This secret word is "one." As in "one sub was lost" in the passage.
Paul, this was a great chapter. The link you provided says a lot. When I read the website http://www.bismarck-class.dk/other_craf ... craft.html about the X-crafts, I see that of the six midget-subs, 3 were scuttled, one was abandoned one foundered (I guess this one never saw any action) and the one I guess you were referring to was X-5 which disappeared.
Others were lost after the "Tirpitz" mission. There is still one extant, in the British Naval Museum, I believe.

I notice from that website that not all of the crafts were supposed to go after the Tirpitz, but all had the same Operation (Source). Maybe Mr. Twigsnapper can explain. Could one offensive operation include different targets?

I agree with Trickfox about that one paragraph:
Otherwise this one is of a great value to me because of the following statement

Quote:
I didn’t understand where this was taking me at the time but it satisfied my craving to do something important. I wasn’t sure how I was going to accomplish that or where I was going with it, but I was pleased to be in that position

I too am trying to find my place and accomplish something. I guess so is my husband.

Paul, I like the way you said "Meet the man we call "O'Riley". This is because we all know that was not his real name. Reading through that website at the names of the people who were "Passage Crew" which is what you said he was, there are only two names that sound remotely Irish: J. Magennis (X-7) and J. J. McGregor (X-6).

But then you wrote,
And, difficult as the crossing had been, O'Riley had been fortunate to be on the passage crew. The X-craft that O'Riley served on also was lost during the Tirpitz operation. Neither the vessel nor any of her four man, operational crew was ever found.

Only X-5 was the one that disappeared and the four men Operational Crew were all killed; was he one of the X-5 Passage Crew?

SO one thing bothers me. If the four men operational crew were never found, that would look more like our man O'Riley served on X-6 where the operational crew are listed as being captured. If they were all killed (in red on the website) then one would think that they were 'found', right?
This doesn't jive with the vessel never being found, because if it was scuttled (X-6), it was found; the British found it, and destroyed it.

Anyways, that still limits the names to 6 men that he could have been; (either the X-5 or X-6 Passage Crew). So that means that he may be either N. Garrity, B.W. Element, J.H. Terry-Lloyd, A. Wilson, J.J. McGregor, or W. Oxley.

This is fun! I like puzzles; always have.

Linda B.
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
grinder
Senior Officer

Puzzles

Post by grinder »

Oh Boy! This is like really good stuff!

First of all. Damn, thats one terrifying knife. Where did you get that picture Trick fox? Is that the commando knife that was actually thrown on the carpet toward Morgan? How did you get that picture? Or is it just a representative? Pretty damned scarey if you ask me. I ask myself what I would have done and the answer in my heart came back .... run away little boy, run very far away.

And Linda! What a super sleuth you are!

But I have a feeling that its not as easy as you seem to feel that it is. First of all, if this was a secret operation to start with, even with declassification how do you know that those names are actually real names or just made up? And the sub that went missing? How do you know that she actually sank and all her crew was lost. Maybe they had just "gone black" ... a phrase I don't think was used much then but you get the idea. We know that "Mr. O'Riley went on in his career. Perhaps one of those names will show up or perhaps , just like Morgan, those individuals were convinced to "cut away from their other lives? What better way to do it than be declared lost at sea? More here than meets the eye, but good work anyway. grinder
Trickfox
The Magician

I googled it

Post by Trickfox »

It was an easy find on the net under google images. Interestingly enough this particular knife has a "2" on the "pommel" which confirms it's pedigree!
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

puzzles

You are right, Grinder - how DO we know that the sub was actually lost? Good point too about names. Maybe some of those names were changed to protect those to whom they belong.

That IS a scary knife. But I've seen scarier swords.

Linda
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
grinder
Senior Officer

swords?

Post by grinder »

You have certainly gotten my attention, Linda. Scarier swords? Care to elaborate on that?

Thankyou Trickfox for finding the number on that knife! You didn't mention the history behind that particular knife but as I recall the fellow named "Twigsnapper" told us that those knives were issued to the first 300 men of the Jedburgh teams. I paid attention to that because of the interaction that Mark C. seemed to have with Twigsnapper. He asked him I think something like," would you have known the types to things that my Dad did ? "and Mr.Twigsnapper told him a whole lot, more than he was expecting I think. Even mentioned the knife with the "low number" before Mark had even mentioned it!

Anyone just getting into this might be interested in just reading all of the messages our friend Mr. Twigsnapper has given this forum. Especially since Paul just revealed to Mark (by not contradicting his statements) That Mr. Twigsnapper and Mr. O'Riley are the same gentleman.) The story about Mark C. fathers knife takes on a whole new light on this story now.

And then there is the picture of "Mr. Twigsnapper" and Dr. Brown in Paris in 1956 or so ..... I forgot what post heading its under. D Townsend Brown and the English I think? Something like that.

This story started out great and is just getting better and better! grinder

Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

screaming movie

Post by Victoria Steele »

I can not believe it! I turn my back for just seems like half a second and look at all the discussions I missed out on!!!!!

First of all. PAUL. MOVIE, MOVIE, MOVIE. That last chapter just screams MOVIE.

And I didn't immediately catch that our very own "Mr. Twigsnapper" has now been introduced in the book itself as " Mr. O'Riley" Well, I was actually hoping that you would tell his story too and I am delighted to see such wonderful interaction between my man Morgan and Mr. Twigsnapper.

Speaking of my man Morgan. More than one woman in his bed at the same time? Shoulda figured. I am enticed that anything would have embarrassed him during that interview. I'd ask Mr. Riley what that question was but I am sure that it was several levels above X rated. Fascinating.

Add to the list of some probably pretty sharp older ladies out there now that are going to someday read this "Defying Gravity" and then start thinking about the lover that just "faded off" mysteriously. I wonder how many are out there already saying to themselves ..... "Gee. I wonder"

I still remember the story about his Dad pulling the keys to a car (or was it a truck) that Morgan had borrowed late at night, only to find the remnant of a skinny dipping party, a naked girl, in the front seat. I have wondered about her and what her reaction is going to be if she ever puts two and two together. Hey naked lady. You out there? Theres one response I had better not hold my breath on.

Ah, I do like this Morgan character. And that scene with him and the knife is priceless Paul. Priceless. Mr. O'Riley probably saved his life by doing that because I am sure that a man like Morgan is slow to forget valuable lessons.

And Trickfox .... thanks so much for the bone chilling visual. On carpet no less. How wierd is that? #2 Was probably listed to one of the two original designers, am I right. Its known as the Fairbairn-Sykes commando knife and I looked it up too. I think it was Mr. Fairbairn that was the man who developed the knack of fighting with that rolled up newspaper. Apparently Mr. O'Riley learned his lesson well. I figure that Fairbairn probably treated him the same way and I'll just bet that O'Riley had the same smirk of arrogance beforehand! Am I right? Mr. Twigsnapper? Victoria
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

funny how things happen

Post by twigsnapper »

Hello Victoria,

I have often asked myself what kind of magic Morgan was gifted with regarding women. None of them seemed at all phased with the fact that there were others in his life. Anytime I tried something that exciting (and I tried, I tried) I usually ended up like a rabbit in traffic.

I understand that you are helping people out who were affected by that fire in California. I admire you for doing that. From what I have heard there is much going on in that community and most of it is strictly volunteer work.

You never know the connections that arise out of volunteer work. I guess its one of the cases where "fate" has a little more freedom to work in peoples lives. People who volunteer to do good work will understand what I mean.

Not that they want the recognition but an outfit called "Stoker Construction" will be up there clearing debris and helping people get back on their feet. I understand they are scheduled to come up with several trucks and a dozen or so strong backs. Its a good outfit and if you have a chance say hello to Randy McKnight please do. He is a good man.

Its always a pleasure to meet a pretty woman who is not afraid to get soot on her face. Twigsnapper
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Re: swords?

grinder wrote:You have certainly gotten my attention, Linda. Scarier swords? Care to elaborate on that? grinder
1981-1985 Palos Verdes, Every Saturday afternoon, After Chinese School. My extracurricular activity (mandatory for students to pick one) was Traditional Asian dance, and I watched my brother do martial arts. With very scary swords, Ji and short Dao.

Linda B.