EARLY RADAR

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Early RADAR, and other significant scientists of that decade

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Paul, I've taken the liberty to look up a few names that have made significant contributions to the scientific community in the area that is being discussed in this thread.

Isidor Isaac Rabi - father of the molecular beam MR detection method (and one of the founders of CERN)

Robert Watson Watt - developed what Mr. Twigsnapper was calling the Chain Home (a chain of radar stations along the south and east coast of England). What is interesting in his past is that during WWI, there were no physics positions that he could occupy, so he took a position in meteorology, which of course helped him establish himself with his work in detecting storms using radio signals from lightning as it ionized the air

Werner Karl Heisenberg

Paul Dirac

Some other interesting things I've discovered is that the decade of the 30s-40s was when most biologists/doctors/scientists were being prolific in the study, synthesis, or purification of the major vitamins, vaccines, and penicillin. This is significant, because without the discovery of Alexander Fleming many. many more people would have died of Staph infection in the field. More deaths probably than would have occured from mortar or shell. Oh, and that fable about Fleming and Churchill's son is not true. What saved him was Sulphonamide developed by the Germans. But because of politics, they did not want to admit to that.

Linda B.
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: Alfred Loomis befriending Dr. Brown?

Post by Paul S. »

Trickfox wrote:Thank you again for that tasty morsel of historical intrigue. I suspect Paul will allready be working on a part of the story where Brown ends up at the Tuxedo Park Lab.
Well, if Brown ever did show up at Loomis' Tuxedo Park installation, he never signed the guest book. Well, OK, I can't really say that because I haven't seen the guest book. But he certainly made it past Ms. Conant, the author of "Tuxedo Park," since there is no mention of a Townsend Brown anywhere in the book.

Of course, even if she had seen the name, it probably would not have meant anything to her, focused as she was on all the Luminaries.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

Forces that fail

Post by twigsnapper »

I may be in the wrong area but here goes.

I wanted to bring up the name of a fellow named Ludwig Beck.

He was a proper General in the German Army, following the motto of the German General staff and he tried to stand up against Hitler in the early years. You know what its like when you object to something and then find that you are the only one standing out there all by your absolute lonesome? Thats what happened to him. Eventually after many failed attempts to "oust" Hitler he was taken into custody and convinced to "commit suicide" which as you can imagine was not his original thought.

Someone asked if there might have been Caroline members wearing other uniforms. I submit his name for your consideration. Twigsnapper
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

other uniforms

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Mr. Twigsnapper. Thank you for mentioning General Beck. I will spend more time in his direction.

How difficult it must have been for him , having to watch as Hitler slowly but surely worked his way into complete control. I understand that Hitler became more and more rancid toward his Generals, even being abusive of them in front of their men. Its still interesting that even with all of that he was able to maintain ruthless power as long as he did.

Elizabeth