Character Notes

The website is all about his life and work; here, let us focus on defining and celebrating his outstanding personal qualities.
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Re: Character Notes

Post by Mark Culpepper »

I think that this comment from Wilbert Smith

"It is something extremely personal which must be experienced by the individual as a basic exercise; it is something which cannot be "taught".

reads right into the problem that Linda Brown had with the fellow who responded in a sort of knee jerk reaction. She ,I think ,had said that everyone was capable of reaching for this information ... some statement like that ... and his response was that her attitude was " Mystical Bullshit". Well, I see Wilbert Smith saying the same thing and I will just bet that there were others out there who called his thoughts " mystical bullshit" (and probably even worse.)

But you all have hit on something very important here. Inspiration is there...... but awareness must come first. And that I think is what we are all working so hard to reach. The Math, as important as it is....... I believe takes a third seat on this bus, sort of bringing along the solid underpinnings for the future. Awareness, then inspiration ... then the hard work of the math .... I see no problems here with the order. Anybody else with other thoughts? MarkC
Mark Bean
Space Cadet

Post by Mark Bean »

Hello,

I would really like to know more about Dr. Brown's character and his sense of humor... Please.

Mark Bean
P.S. I wish I could have met him. I bet we would have some good conversations & laughs.
FM No Static At All
Senior Officer

Re: Nash downloads and Dr. Browns

Post by FM No Static At All »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote: What made Nash a weaker battery for this kind of download? Thats a good question. What made Townsend Brown a stronger container? I submit that he might have been strengthened by the people who were closest to him, particularly his wife Josephine, who seemed to understand what was happening. Or at least if she didn't understand the technicalities of it she ALWAYS UNDERSTOOD RIGHT FROM THAT FIRST SAILBOAT RIDE ... that here was a great man, a wonder of nature .... and that she could protect and care for him , because he would need her.

Elizabeth
One of the difference that I can see is that Dr. Brown did not have an inflated ego. His family and his work was about giving, often to the detriment of himself. Nash on the other hand had a lot of himself vested in his "abilities" and perhaps that was his undoing. Dr. Brown "knew" that he didn't have to step on anyone else to see beyond their vision. It is difficult to be about thee when it's all about me. Many times I have been ridiculed for allowing others to "walk over me" using my ideas, or my thoughts to gain for themselves. It never occurred to me that they were mine exclusively. I always felt that an idea was nothing until it was shared.

Fred a.k.a.
FM - No Static At All
'The only reason some people get lost in thought is because its unfamiliar territory.'

http://fixamerica-fredmars.blogspot.com/
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

What was he like?

Post by Mikado14 »

Musing the other day over the weekend and trying in vain to clear my head, I started to think about Dr. Brown. I wandered what would I say to the man if he approached me or if I met him? I can honestly say that it would not be anything that has been talked about here, surprised? I know someone here who is not surprised but more than likely, they already know my question, I would ask, "How are you?" and from there, the path would be where he wished to go. So much can be learned that way, for me, it would be perhaps a new friend.

However, I don't profess to be a writer, although I have been published in some Model Railroad magazines, but I do enjoy reading and writing short stories. I have read the book as presented, all 500 plus pages of it. I have read of the forlorn hope and love of a young couple and a couple that went through their personal and public trials and tribulations. I have read about science known and science unknown. I have read about voyages under and upon the sea, of sky jumps and possible time jumps. Of visitations either actual or jointly dreamt. Of multiple moves and moves made multiple times. And yet, I still have certain unanswered questions.

What was Dr. Brown's favorite color? He enjoyed his green Cadillac but was that his favorite color? Did he enjoy a Turkey dinner, Roast Beef or Ham? Did the family have Thanksgiving dinner with relatives, friends or no one? We know that he enjoyed a taste for Earl Grey tea but did he enjoy coffee, milk, juice or Coca Cola?

What pissed him off? We know that he threw his glasses down at Decker's and we were told that his point was reached but what would get him to that point? Did he ever reach that point with Linda or Josephine? Out of all the years that they were married did they ever not talk or did they ever sleep in different bedrooms? It is ever so possible to love someone but not agree.

We know that his daughter Linda enjoyed horses and that she had named all the fish in the pond but what does that tell us? It tells me that she learned that from someone, was it Mom or was it Dad? Did he like dogs or cats? Did he enjoy crossword puzzles or riddles, or both? Did he enjoy mathematical word problems and what type of books did he read for leisure? History, Science, Biographical, Drama, Science Fiction etc. We know he enjoyed the "Day the Earth Stood Still" but what did he think of "Star Wars" or "2001"?

What about Josephine? I realize that the book is about Thomas Townsend Brown but owing to the fact that Josephine is a large part of it, what was she like? Wouldn't some of Townsend Brown's actions have been precipitated upon by Josephine's likes and dislikes?

How about these little truths that perhaps no one knew: Dr. Brown would apply absorbine jr. to his legs, Josephine liked her brand of "tea" in the afternoon, there were separations in the marriage.

I for one believe that there are anecdotes and stories that can be had by asking the correct questions from several sources. Even mystical ones given by a talking fawn.

I would prefer to see a bit more if possible as to what was he like as well as what he did. Just knowing what he did is more of a text book than a Biography. As in any decision that we make in life there is always a reason why and that is usually motivated by the person we are. I have read about Farnsworth, I am reading about Brown, I would like to see a bit more, if possible, as to the man that made the decisions that he did.

For now, I will go back into the woods and look for the fawn who speaks or perhaps the man without a face who stands alongside and never speaks to me.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
htmagic
Senior Officer

Re: What was he like?

Post by htmagic »

Mikado14 wrote:Musing the other day over the weekend and trying in vain to clear my head, I started to think about Dr. Brown. I wandered what would I say to the man if he approached me or if I met him? I can honestly say that it would not be anything that has been talked about here, surprised? I know someone here who is not surprised but more than likely, they already know my question, I would ask, "How are you?" and from there, the path would be where he wished to go. So much can be learned that way, for me, it would be perhaps a new friend.

Mikado, good points that you raise. I bet Dr. Brown could be a lot of fun to be around. We read that he appeared to be positive most all the time and we can see the film where he is celebrating with champagne in a beaker.

However, I don't profess to be a writer, although I have been published in some Model Railroad magazines, but I do enjoy reading and writing short stories. I have read the book as presented, all 500 plus pages of it. I have read of the forlorn hope and love of a young couple and a couple that went through their personal and public trials and tribulations. I have read about science known and science unknown. I have read about voyages under and upon the sea, of sky jumps and possible time jumps. Of visitations either actual or jointly dreamt. Of multiple moves and moves made multiple times. And yet, I still have certain unanswered questions.

Mikado, I subscribe to Model Railroader (MR). What issues of MR are you in? And what scale do you model? I am working on 2 N-Trak modules as part of my railroad club I'm involved in.

<SNIP>

Mikado
Mikado,

You raise good questions but I'm afraid much of Dr. Brown's life is in projects so black that they might never see the light of day... The only way to get more information is to talk to those that knew Dr. Brown, met with him, or lived with him.

I'm sure Paul had a much easier time writing about Farnsworth rather than T.T. Brown...

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

htmagic wrote:
Mikado, I subscribe to Model Railroader (MR). What issues of MR are you in? And what scale do you model? I am working on 2 N-Trak modules as part of my railroad club I'm involved in.
Did I say Model Railroader? How about Railroad Model Craftsman or Model Railroading or Mainline Railroader or even Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette? If I told you, I wouldn't be anonymous anymore for I did a Google and it is there.

HOn3 and Live Steam

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

Everybody,

I do agree with you Mikado that there is probably alot about my Dads personality that hasn't been quite mentioned in Pauls first draft... mainly I think because those might be the finishing touches that he is holding out for later, but I agree... thats what a biography is all about. You need to come away really feeling that you have met the man and have gotten to know him ... his good points and his bad points.

I think actually if you look through this forum you will find many comments about my Dad from people who got to know him. Of course among those I value Mr. Twigsnappers longstanding friendship and observations of him.

I wish that Sir William Stephenson was still alive so that we could talk to him because I know from observation that he and my Dad shared a special friendship based on a huge amount of mutual respect.

Perhaps there are still some Islanders who remember Dad. Bill and Jeannie Hill ( The Hills of Avalon <g> Hi Jeannie, Bill) and maybe they can share stories I never knew. Paul has gone to alot of trouble to meet and interview these wonderful folks so I am sure that he has their observations stashed away somewhere for future use or just to help with his own understanding.

What strikes me is that most of that personal information ( toward the plus or the minus) is more encased here in the forum than reflected in the book so far. No fault of Pauls . It just sort of developed that way.

Mikado. He liked the color green. Nearly any color green. ( remember Pat Quillin saying that he wanted nearly everything painted avocado green ( the seventies, oh) Second came blue, like the color of a tropical ocean .... or for his business suits ... that dark slate grey. Always very conservative on one hand .... but preferred his Hawaiian shirts and walking shorts and raggetty tennis shoes above all else.

Mark Bean, you asked what sort of humor he had, I can't think at the moment of him ever being an out and out comedian but things struck him funny. Maybe ironies struck him the funniest.... and his observations would just bubble up . Sometimes he shared them with you and sometimes he just smiled and kept them to himself. He could be wickedly funny at unexpected moments. My room mate Tula ran into that on more than one occasion and she used to say to me .... that cant possibly be the serious man that goes to the lab in the morning? Oh, he took the humor with him and I think it probably bubbled to the surface at the lab too.

I NEVER saw him so angry that his emotion turned mean. NEVER. His anger turned to frustration too quickly I think and then he got ahold of it and tamed it down so that no ones feelings got hurt. The meanest thing I ever heard him say of an individual ( Who DID look very Neanderthal) and had disappointed Dad by making a severe mistake delivering some part .... was ... after the man left. Dad huffed ..." If his arms were any longer his knuckles would drag the ground.!"

Oh and in an exasperated moment with some workers in Homestead he hollered at them because they were so slow " Which way are you walking.... toward me? or away from me?" There it is folks. Thats about as mean as he got in my presence.

Course I understand that he beat on an Admirals desk once, but I wasn't there! Linda
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Mikado14 wrote:
htmagic wrote:
Did I say Model Railroader? How about Railroad Model Craftsman or Model Railroading or Mainline Railroader or even Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette? If I told you, I wouldn't be anonymous anymore for I did a Google and it is there.

HOn3 and Live Steam

Mikado
These are for you MagicBill:

Of course, I swirled out my face.

On the rear of the train are a Father and son. The Father was instrumental in developing the dies for Aluminum rail to scale at 1 1/2" and it still bears his name, not to mention other improvements to the hobby.

I thought you would appreciate these pictures taken last Saturday during a moonlight run.

Mikado

****edit****

MagicBill'

Yes, Gregg was correct, we break apart old dishes...no, really....the particular engine you are looking at is a Reading Camelback A5a, the boiler is fired with soft coal (bituminous) or semi-bituminous. Anthracite is just too hard and in real life that was why the Wooten firebox came into being ( Propane is used as well as heating oil but I prefer coal with the soot and the smell and the dirt and it is NOT forgiving if you blunder on firing...the challenge). That particular engine is a good starter engine and could be anywhere from 200 to 500 hours to build, depending upon your machine shop skills and the equipment you have. The rolling stock you see is likewise built from scratch including the wheelsets and trucks, couplers etc, either from castings of ductile iron or aluminum for the side frames and bolsters to anything from aluminum, iron or manganese bronze for the couplers. The railroad that you see is approximately 4000' but I have never measured it but it does take about 10 minutes to traverse the entire distance. It is a private railroad by invitation only.
Last edited by Mikado14 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Mikado14 wrote:
Mikado14 wrote:I thought you would appreciate these pictures taken last Saturday during a moonlight run.

Mikado
Mikado,

Cool! Live steam is awesome. I do appreciate those photos.

What are you using to fire the locomotive, propane?
Are all the boxcars and equipment hand made? Many hours of love went into that for sure...
Where is this taken? Is it open to the public for them to ride?

MagicBill
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Post by greggvizza »

htmagic wrote: Mikado,

I think he is using a stack of Fiestaware dishes.

Open the boiler, slide in a stack of dishes, add water, and you're good to go... for 5 years or so.

GV
Last edited by greggvizza on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

greggvizza wrote:
htmagic wrote: Mikado,

I think he is using a stack of Fiestaware dishes.

Open the boiler, slide in a stack of dishes, add water, and your good to go... for 5 years or so.

GV
GV,

That is funny!
No thing such as MRSA back in those days! The Fiestaware dishes killed all the bacteria!
:P

MagicBill
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

htmagic wrote:
Mikado14 wrote:
Mikado14 wrote:I thought you would appreciate these pictures taken last Saturday during a moonlight run.

Mikado
Mikado,

Are all the boxcars and equipment hand made? Many hours of love went into that for sure...
Where is this taken? Is it open to the public for them to ride?

MagicBill
I will edit the post with the pictures to answer your questions.

Mikado
Rose
Senior Cadet

Post by Rose »

Mark C:
Awareness, then inspiration ... then the hard work of the math .... I see no problems here with the order. Anybody else with other thoughts? MarkC
I have no problems with that order!

Mikado, so how ARE you?

BTW I've noticed that Trains are the theme of the day!

Even Bill Lear/Lehr, in the 1960's was still close emotionally enough to the steam powered train age that he thought a steam driven racecar had great possibilities. But something happened in that same decade to convince him that 240 mph wasn't worth pursuing. What was it???

rose

rose
Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god.
Trickfox
The Magician

Post by Trickfox »

Maybe he saw a Steam Engine Flying saucer that went twice the speed of his best design....who knows?
Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Rose wrote:
Mikado, so how ARE you?

BTW I've noticed that Trains are the theme of the day!
Well Rose, I suppose the standard answer is "I am well" but then for some strange reason I believe you would see that as a curtain. I will give you this truth..So much on the forum there is talk of the "fawn" in the woods and the vulnerability of it and yet at the same time there is the antithesis to it. The "antithesis" doesn't influence the "soul" as the fawn, it influences the environment that you exist in and by so doing it creates obstacles to divert where you wish to go. Some just call it "bad luck". So much talk also of the "chi" but what I have never seen mentioned is the negative side or misuse of it until you mentioned it and Nate came back and mentioned the black arts. How far will that discussion go? As to how I am...tired, frustrated, confused...and that is just life and as to works in progress...ecstatic. Diametrically opposed answers I suppose but then you could ask Mikado's mum. Thank You for asking.
Rose wrote:Even Bill Lear/Lehr, in the 1960's was still close emotionally enough to the steam powered train age that he thought a steam driven racecar had great possibilities. But something happened in that same decade to convince him that 240 mph wasn't worth pursuing. What was it???

You made me remember Ross Rowland and his fluid bed locomotive but that was not until the late 70's. I am pretty sure I must know for it sounds so familiar and I am tempted to say that someone he knew was killed in attempting something but then I could and probably am wrong. Are we discussing the Vapordyne?

Keep your chakras spinning....<g>

Mikado