Character Notes

The website is all about his life and work; here, let us focus on defining and celebrating his outstanding personal qualities.
FM No Static At All
Senior Officer

Re: Character Notes

Post by FM No Static At All »

Rose wrote: Paul, I believe you have done the very best you possibly can with the information you have been given, and as far as I'm concerned it's just fine. Perhaps it is the very size of the book that make the personal details appear to be sparse, but they are there and I feel that I do know this man. He traveled with peanut butter for emergency food, enjoyed sunbathing in the nude, was a night owl, adored his daughter, and let his wife call the shots when she felt it was really, really important. All of that tells me that he was a practical, freethinker who strove to get the most out of every day, but put his family first when push came to shove.

And in return we know that he inspired tremendous loyalty and affection from Twigsnapper and Morgan. That says a lot about a man's character.

rose
I think that is what makes this biography so compelling. It may not answer every question, in fact it begs one to ask many more. I agree with you Rose, there are plenty of allusions to the character of Dr. Brown, by many of the people who knew him. It is also evident in the way he handled himself aboard the Caroline "expidition" and his humbleness demonstrated in many other chapters.

The book says what needs to be said about the character of the man, and presents the mysteries of his work without the need to understand all of his patents. Ms. Brown, Messrs. Morgan and Twigsnapper have made it evident that Dr. Brown was a good friend and well respected. Go with what you have Paul, and let the critics do their job. It was certainly a challenge for you to write about a man that was such an enigma, but I feel you have done an excellent job. Now clean up the typos and get copy editing done, so we can all come to your book signing!

Fred a.k.a.
FM - No Static At All
'The only reason some people get lost in thought is because its unfamiliar territory.'

http://fixamerica-fredmars.blogspot.com/
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

Post by Victoria Steele »

Paul,

You keep saying action is character and I recognize what you mean and when I ran across this ( not sure how I found this. I think that Mikado mentioned a lost dollar and then the cowboy story and thats where we went.) But it lead me to this comment by Mr. Twigsnapper which I think is very important to share............. remember this is an old response from Mr. Twigsnapper.

"And what does this discussion have to do with Townsend Brown? Well perhaps someone should ask "What did he do when the stress of his double (and sometimes triple or more!) life overwhelmed him?" PAUL... IS THAT A QUESTION THAT EVER CAME UP????? GOOD QUESTION DONCHA THINK. WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN THE STRESS OF YOUR LIFE BUILDS UP???? HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THINGS???? SAME DEAL HERE. WHAT DID DR. BROWN DO???? vs)

You think that he was so strong that never happened? He was human. Put yourself in his place. There were some things that he could share with no one. ( Not even his beloved Josephine) How did he release that pressure? By going back to the things that were familiar perhaps. Splashing in water! Sailing! Paying attention to the details of his mysterious numbers. (NEARLY OBSESSIVE ATTENTION I WOULD THINK. HE TOOK THOSE CHART READINGS FOR YEARS. CONSISTANTLY...... WHY THAT DEDICATION????? vs)

And he had one other release valve which was there for him but still had to be protected. His daughter!

Paul, even before she was born messages to her, disguised as fiction became his "release valve. Those became his "private diary". Do you see that? The phrase " Daughter these words are as true .... " come to mind . twigsnapper (DO YOU KNOW WHAT MR. TWIGSNAPPER IS ACTUALLY SAYING HERE???? I THINK I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT. WHEN YOU CAN'T TALK TO ANYONE AT ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING THEN YOU SIT DOWN AND WRITE A MANUSCRIPT TO YOURSELF THAT LOOKS LIKE A STRAIGHT FICTION. THAT WAY IF ANYONE HAPPENS TO READ IT .... IT MEANS NOTHING. BUT THEN YOU PUT A HOOK OUT THERE AND WAIT. KNOWING ALL ALONG THAT EVENTUALLY SOMEONE WILL RECOGNIZE WHAT IT IS. THEN YOU CAN PUT YOUR PEN DOWN, OR STOP TYPING , AND FEEL THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SHARE THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION WITH SOMEONE CLOSE TO YOU .... EVEN IF SHE HASN'T EVEN BEEN BORN YET. DO YOU SEE THAT YET???? OR AM I THE ONLY ONE SO FAR????? Victoria
FM No Static At All
Senior Officer

Post by FM No Static At All »

Victoria Steele wrote:
And he had one other release valve which was there for him but still had to be protected. His daughter!

Paul, even before she was born messages to her, disguised as fiction became his "release valve. Those became his "private diary". Do you see that? The phrase " Daughter these words are as true .... " come to mind . twigsnapper (DO YOU KNOW WHAT MR. TWIGSNAPPER IS ACTUALLY SAYING HERE???? I THINK I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT. WHEN YOU CAN'T TALK TO ANYONE AT ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING THEN YOU SIT DOWN AND WRITE A MANUSCRIPT TO YOURSELF THAT LOOKS LIKE A STRAIGHT FICTION. THAT WAY IF ANYONE HAPPENS TO READ IT .... IT MEANS NOTHING. BUT THEN YOU PUT A HOOK OUT THERE AND WAIT. KNOWING ALL ALONG THAT EVENTUALLY SOMEONE WILL RECOGNIZE WHAT IT IS. THEN YOU CAN PUT YOUR PEN DOWN, OR STOP TYPING , AND FEEL THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SHARE THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION WITH SOMEONE CLOSE TO YOU .... EVEN IF SHE HASN'T EVEN BEEN BORN YET. DO YOU SEE THAT YET???? OR AM I THE ONLY ONE SO FAR????? Victoria
I think that I pointed that very thing out in a previous post but no one seemed to find it of any relevance. What intrigued me was that in that phrase it was the "rain on the window above..." and knowing the window above may have been a reference to the quonset hut window, how the hay did he write that so long before that place became a living space for the Browns?

Everyone seems to be focused on the technology he worked on, or his many facets that he displayed as misleading or hiding something. But he must have had another connection which enabled him to "see" things that were yet to be. Perhaps he had this affinity since childhood?

Another thing that struck me as I read the book and read the forum posts regarding Dr. Brown. Was he getting put here and there by the Caroline Group, or was he LEADING the direction and just making it look like someone else was always "in charge" of it all? It was also briefly mentioned by Paul in the book about an American Express card that no invoice was ever sent to the various residences where the Browns lived. Who paid it? And I wonder if Josephine, Joseph, or Linda would have wanted something, if that card would have "magically" obtained it for them, even during the times when it appeared they were living quite meagerly?

In most instances when you want to find the source of leadership, you simply "follow the money" but in the mystery that surrounds and is, T. Townsend Brown, I doubt that you would find anything so significant. My gut feeling tells me that he was more important as leader within the group than just an important physicist. And that is why he was always "there" when he needed to be, regardless of how much it affected him emotionally.

There are many ways to interpret that information in the book and on the forum, but perhaps we should all step back and look at it from an entirely different perspective. Instead of what "they" had "him" doing, perhaps what he was leading them to do!Dr. Brown may have been modest and selfless in many aspects of his personality, but by pounding his fist on an Admiral's desk and calling such high ranking officers out on the carpet, I would venture to guess that he was showing who was really in charge.

Fred a.k.a.
FM - No Static At All
'The only reason some people get lost in thought is because its unfamiliar territory.'

http://fixamerica-fredmars.blogspot.com/
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Fred,

Good observations.

But I hear discussions on "what was Dr. Brown like? How did he feel? What did he think about?".
The best answer I can give, outside of Paul's book, is to READ HIS NOTEBOOKS!!! Not only will you read what Dr. Brown was thinking that day, you'll also remember that he was in his lab doing this, sometimes away from the family. Dr. Brown thinks like a scientist and writes like one. His observations are interesting and I am not sure I agree with everything he says in Notebook #1, but these notebooks are a part of Dr. Brown's mind and his thoughts on paper.

Now that I have taken some time to read them, they are fascinating as the notebooks show that although Thomas Townsend Brown may have been a good scientist and "lab man", but he was an equally good physicist and engineer. Dissolved air flotation (DAF) is used in the mining and also waste treatment areas to collect ores and remove solids (sludge). Cyclonic separation, centrifuges, and some of the other methods discussed show that Dr. Brown had a active and fertile mind. And these methods are indeed in use today.

But some of the other ideas are quite fascinating.
It is quite exciting to view Dr. Brown's sketches.
Here is a particularly interesting one:
And the text with it...
Notebook #1 wrote:Page 105

59. The Concept of the Gravitic Dipole as an Energy Storage Means.

Winston-Salem, NC; Jan. 5, 1958.

In the foregoing study of the Adamski Venusian scout ship and in the descriptive material pertaining to it found in the Adamski publication, the central pylon is referred to as place where energy is stored for the propulsion of the ship. It is stated that this central column must be recharged (by the mother ship), presumably as a storage battery is recharged.

The implication is that the central pylon is a kind of storage capacitor for electrostatic energy or perhaps even a pile of high capacity electret wafers serving the same purpose --- the stored energy being in the electric form (simple electrostatic nature).

To retain sufficient energy, if such a storage column is simply electrical, very high K materials and very high voltages would be required. Such high electrical fields would be difficult to contain without adequate insulation, especially thru the cabin compartment. Even with the very highest K materials available now (say 10,000 to 30,000 K), it is unbelievable that enough electrical energy would be stored to provide the propulsion and dynamic counterbary required.

It appears necessary therefore, to look further into the nature of the energy storage means. The following system appears worthy of study:

Page 106

If a column 16’ long by 2’ diameter, made of a suitably susceptible, highly retentive. High capacity material for gravitic excitation were used, the energy-storage requirements might easily be met. The column would constitute a gravitic dipole. It could be initially energized by a method such as described in Secs. 52-55 (electro-excitation), as:

Spraying continued until Pg of the lower end of the column increases to described value (2000 millighos or more). This is equivalent to a lofting moment of 2 g’s. At this Pg, the electrical potential may be formed to remain at some high value positive as a permanent state --- at least until the gravitic dipole is discharged or decays to zero. In this respect, the column is an electric (as well as gravitic) dipole when it is charged and the energy resides both as electric storage and gravitic excitation. Most of the energy in storage, however, would be represented as the gravitic excitation of the lower end. The electric field would merely accompany the gravitic difference of potential.
So the better story is what Paul wrote with a human element in it. Unless you're a scientist or a geek and like the notebooks. I liked both as they give me a better appreciation of this mysterious man, the enigma named Thomas Townsend Brown.
Holder of many jockstrap awards... :wink:

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

And of course what I wonder is .... what would those "missing notebooks tell us" above and beyond the technical parts that all of those "geeks" might be interested in.

The years cover some interesting points in Townsend Browns life, still relatively untouched. Josephines drive through a driving snow storm? The hurried move in the middle of the night and not next door but to Nassau???? The arrival of Charles and the interactions between that Personality and a young teenager who thought at first that he was an insuffable bore. When I complained to my Mom that we had a boring, sour faced total stranger living with us ... her response was ..... get over it. Now... would that be interesting? Thats all part of those " no notes were taken " years. Linda
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Linda Brown wrote:And of course what I wonder is .... what would those "missing notebooks tell us" above and beyond the technical parts that all of those "geeks" might be interested in.

The years cover some interesting points in Townsend Browns life, still relatively untouched. Josephines drive through a driving snow storm? The hurried move in the middle of the night and not next door but to Nassau???? The arrival of Charles and the interactions between that Personality and a young teenager who thought at first that he was an insuffable bore. When I complained to my Mom that we had a boring, sour faced total stranger living with us ... her response was ..... get over it. Now... would that be interesting? Thats all part of those " no notes were taken " years. Linda
Linda,

Maybe your mom Josephine felt that you 'need not know'. But it does beg the question what's up?

As for the notebooks, Linda, that's anybody's guess. Your dad was apparently involved in a number of technologies. It would be most interesting to study them although I'm having fun studying the notebooks we do have...

MagicBill
Griffin
Senior Officer

Re: Character Notes & the Model A

Post by Griffin »

Yes Magic-

That is a particularly interesting sketch -- the old, reliable "Model A" (for Adamski) vehicle. This was obviously a central concern of TTB, judging by his notebooks, his lab model, the depiction he had done by an artist, the "shared dream" story, and my own experience with him. He explained its operation to me in detail, like the great professor he was, and I understood everything he said AT THE TIME. But, like many a dream, the details quickly faded from memory later. It’s déjà vuish, seeing the sketch.

As I mentioned to Paul, Dr. Edgar Mitchell's recent and widely publicized full disclosure statement, on the reality of some UFOs and the Roswell Incident, is a major support for TTB's interest in some UFOs and his belief in their reality. TTB, too, was an insider and was totally broadminded and courageous in following the evidence no matter how seemingly incredible. The Flying Model A confirmed and extended his own theories. He looked forward to the time of full disclosure and KNEW it would come. There's also considerably more support for the reality of the flying Model A, which I'm exploring in my book.

As ever,

Griffin
Griffin
Senior Officer

Thick Hulls vs Time

Post by Griffin »

As EHD has said, though, you cannot prove some things to some people. Those with thick hulls are hard to penetrate, no matter what evidence is presented. Time will tell, though.

Griffin
natecull
Keeper of the Flame

Post by natecull »

Griffin wrote: That is a particularly interesting sketch -- the old, reliable "Model A" (for Adamski) vehicle.
I've seen second-hand artists renditions of the Adamski saucer, mostly in sci-fi and similar magazines in the 1970s. Anyone else grow up with the British 'Look and Learn' and "World of Wonder' magazines? They would often have 'strange stories' articles about UFOs, the paranormal, etc.

There's something about it which just looks extremely Art Deco. I have difficulty buying it as the product of an extraterrestrial civilisation thousands of years old, but I can buy it being the product of 1940s-1950s technology. That homebuilt 'bolts and hubcaps' look contributes to the UFO giggle factor, I think. Nowadays, post-Spielberg, everyone expects UFOs to look much more sleek and glowy, like silicon chips or jellyfish or liquid metal Terminators. Our materials technology has progressed so much in 50 years, even though our propulsion hasn't, that we no longer find it credible to believe in aliens who can't make their ships *look* clever.

I'd be more convinced it belonged to a offworld civilisation with independent existence if there had been more recent 'contactee-level' sightings of it, I think. Otherwise... if it was real, my first guess would be it was a human creation. My second would be it was something *really* weird involving physical manifestation of expectations, or a deliberate attempt by 'visitors' to look 'plausible'.

Mark Pilkington's 'Screen Memories' essay: http://www.hedweb.com/markp/ufofilm.htm
gives a good rundown on the weird symbiosis between UFO sightings and pop culture. He's not a skeptic, but feels there's something more than just an objective physical phenomenon going on with these things.
Going on a journey, somewhere far out east
We'll find the time to show you, wonders never cease
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Griffin wrote:Yes Magic-

That is a particularly interesting sketch -- the old, reliable "Model A" (for Adamski) vehicle. This was obviously a central concern of TTB, judging by his notebooks, his lab model, the depiction he had done by an artist, the "shared dream" story, and my own experience with him. He explained its operation to me in detail, like the great professor he was, and I understood everything he said AT THE TIME. But, like many a dream, the details quickly faded from memory later. It’s déjà vuish, seeing the sketch.

As I mentioned to Paul, Dr. Edgar Mitchell's recent and widely publicized full disclosure statement, on the reality of some UFOs and the Roswell Incident, is a major support for TTB's interest in some UFOs and his belief in their reality. TTB, too, was an insider and was totally broadminded and courageous in following the evidence no matter how seemingly incredible. The Flying Model A confirmed and extended his own theories. He looked forward to the time of full disclosure and KNEW it would come. There's also considerably more support for the reality of the flying Model A, which I'm exploring in my book.

As ever,

Griffin
Griffin,

Incredible! Dr. Brown must have programmed you to forget or somebody else did. Did he have a commanding personality? Was he a "take charge" kind of guy?

As for Mitchell's admittance, most on the poll believed in alien life. So why cover it now? People would accept it unless they figured out that NASA has been wasting our tax dollars when they could have had the good stuff to use for exploration and mining purposes.

Let me know when you get your book finished as I want you to sign my copy...

MagicBill
Griffin
Senior Officer

Post by Griffin »

Magic-

Who knows where the mind goes -- or how. But I think my "forgetting" had to do with the fact that I'm not a physicist, electrical engineer, or the like. However, I wouldn’t discount the possibility that TTB had the ability to help the process along. He did have a "commanding personality" but not in the usual sense. He certainly steered our discussion, but in the smoothest and most considerate way. It was exactly what was needed and not only accomplished what he obviously wanted, but what I wanted and needed as well.

The flying "Model A" may not look so high tech in photographs and sketches, as we now imagine what that term should convey, but its performance had to be incredible by almost any standard. If we could see it in person, I'm sure the effect would be more awe-inspiring -- looking like a luminous, iridescent crystal bell, as W.B. Smith also saw one, with two counter-rotating rings and all the bells and whistles. I think even the most blase or cynical viewer would be rather awe-struck. The artist's rendering for TTB seems to show it best.

As ever,

Griffin
Griffin
Senior Officer

Let you know...

Post by Griffin »

Magic-

I will let you know, and I appreciate your interest.

Griffin
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Post by Paul S. »

Griffin wrote: As I mentioned to Paul, Dr. Edgar Mitchell's recent and widely publicized full disclosure statement, on the reality of some UFOs and the Roswell Incident, is a major support for TTB's interest in some UFOs and his belief in their reality.
I seem to have missed that, Griffin... musta been drinking from the wrong end of the fire hose.

MItchell's has been coming up in Steve Barasch's "Exo Politics" e-mailings, too.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Griffin
Senior Officer

Post by Griffin »

Yes, Paul-

It has become a fire hose torrent of information -- definitely hard to keep up with and drink down. A strong flow for sure, appropriate for the Flow Forum. Good thing that reminders pop up here and there.

Here's the link to the Kerrang! radio interview. The interviewer's reactions are humorous, especially in contrast with Dr. Mitchell's laid-back, out-on-the-Roswell-farm delivery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhNdxdveK7c

Incredible synchronicity that Dr. Mitchell grew up just outside of Roswell on a ranch and went to school there until he went away to college. That's why he heard details about the Roswell Incident first-hand from some Roswell "old-timers" -- particularly after he became famous as a space man, moon-walking astronaut himself. Then he ferreted out more information from his insider intelligence and military sources. Are ferrets related to rabbits? <g>

As ever, write on,

Griffin
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Paul S. wrote:
Griffin wrote: As I mentioned to Paul, Dr. Edgar Mitchell's recent and widely publicized full disclosure statement, on the reality of some UFOs and the Roswell Incident, is a major support for TTB's interest in some UFOs and his belief in their reality.
I seem to have missed that, Griffin... musta been drinking from the wrong end of the fire hose.

MItchell's has been coming up in Steve Barasch's "Exo Politics" e-mailings, too.

--PS
Paul,

I posted it here last Friday.
https://www.ttbrown.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 850#p16850
Stay away from the wrong end of the hose. And stay away from those that lift their leg on the hydrant! :wink:

MagicBill