THE GREAT GAME

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: lighthouse

Post by Paul S. »

Mark Culpepper wrote:Why bother to have batteries when Andrew is going to have a lighthouse someday in his own backyard!
You ever try to get a lighthouse down a rabbit hole?

Uh-oh, there I go trying to be funny again. Can the Freudian analysis be far behind?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Annemarie
Space Cadet

OH YES

Post by Annemarie »

A place by the ocean. Where you could walk on the sand maybe. Collect seashells and talk about magical things! Sounds just great to me. And a chance maybe to get together with other people who have been curious about Townsend Browns work. What an exciting experience that could be!

Andrew. Had you thought of that as part of your B&B? Maybe a week out of the year where you could have a discussion going on about this fascinating man. Were you really serious about all that , or was it just a dream in the fog?

I mean, here we all are ..... so excited about Las Vegas in November ...( I wouldn't miss it, making plans already) but here would be the chance to talk about others with the same interest in a more private setting. Like Mark said you need a beautiful fireplace. And what an interesting bunch of discussions could be generated.

Works for all the intellectual romantics out there! See, Victoria. It would be possible to have everything all wrapped up in one!

So. Wheres the registration book Andrew? Annemarie
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

try stuffing

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Paul,

Hey, You are dealing with magic rabbit holes here remember? If a little girl can manage to fall down there .... then surely a lighthouse could follow here. Someone just handed me a box of lighthouse ornaments ... it was a swap meet item, but I think I will keep all of them as sort of a magic token. You can toss those things down the hole. Just a perception of size/

Andrew ..... Anyway. I love this B&B idea. Of course, maybe thats because I haven't taken my vacation yet ..... but the idea of walking on a beach like Annemarie said .... good,good idea ...... moonstones and seashells .... and a fireplace to take the chill away ... I am there already.

and Andrew. I know that you and I have talked about your dreams of a B&B before, on and off. Seems to me that you can have your research AND that dream too if you look at it hard enough. (since both are deep seated dreams of yours ) and Lighthouses DO fit down rabbit holes.

And frankly I can see us all sitting around a fireplace ..... or walking on the beach involved in the same type of fascinating discussions that I have seen displayed here on the forum/ There seems to be an energy here that is hard to describe but easy to feel.

So Andrew .... wheres the registration book? Elizabeth
George Leach

clam chowder

Post by George Leach »

Andrew,

To get the BEST clam chowder you have to find a Portuguese fishing family. THEY know how to make good clam chowder, trust me.

Ideas on your B&B? Remember that you need adequate parking for Class A motorhomes. Many of your folks will come to enjoy your rooms and your hospitality, but they will also be driving some pretty big rigs.

And what will you do in the deadest of winter? Through Christmas is great because you will draw holiday guests and there is nothing prettier than Christmas lights and snow ..... but then will you fold up until spring? Or just hibernate and turn to your research work?

Sounds great to me, sign us up. George
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Sure, Clam Chowder...

Post by Paul S. »

...but can we have lobster bisque on the menu too?

I discovered lobster bisque during our trip to Maine and New England in the summer of 2003

http://www.pbase.com/driver49/digital

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Martin Calloway
Junior Birdman

good wine ...

Post by Martin Calloway »

Good wine, a good selection of cheese ..... blueberries of course .....How about breakfast scones made fresh. (Theres a little place on the University grounds of Chapel Hill that used to do that .... put fans where the wondrous smell of baking bread would go out in the neighborhood. You would have students wandering in from all over. Some professors wandering in from the cold too!) and I can just see that this is what your place is going to be like too.

You sure it should be a B&B? .... sounds like to me that it needs to be like an Inn .... with its own restaurant!. See what happens when a simple little dream gets out there Andrew. It explodes..... so OK, OK ... a simple B&B.

Chocolate cake. Must have a really good chocolate cake.

Martin
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

By responding, I think I'm just fanning the fire :P , but Linda and I have discussed having a larger place that we could just shut down in the winter (except for Christmas and New Year's balls) or whenever we wanted, and have conferences, etc. I'd rather have a place that we weren't dependent on for income so we'd have that. We looked at a wide range of B&B's and Inns (with and without restaraunts), and have a realtor, but as for the future of that project, well, we'll just have to see.

I do have a few specialties for the seasons I've collected over the years, and these are some of the best you'll find - caramel corn, cheese cake, cinnamon bran muffins, PB cookies, and of course, the recipe for the clam chowder from the Lighthouse restaraunt that was torn down (5 gallons per batch, though).

The cheesecake recipe was from the mother of an ex-girlfriend, who made it by memory from scratch. When the girl broke up with me, I immediately called up her mother before she found out and had her tell me the recipe. I call it my "Under the Wire Cheesecake."

And to keep this thread having anything at all with anything, I'll mention that I'm sure Townsend Brown would have loved staying in a B&B.

Andrew
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

"under the wire cheese cake"

Post by twigsnapper »

Laughing indeed. A man after my own heart. When things are falling apart .... take care of the necessities! I can see that "Under the Wire Cheese cake" line written on a menu!

Which means of course that you actually will have to look for a place with an eating establishment attached to it. Because you already you see have outgrown the perameters of that "simple B&B".

And a place with enough room for perhaps groups to join you. Conferences you mentioned.

So, would your wife Linda be totally up for that sort of lifestyle? Would she be the main hostess (an awesome responsibility) or would she continue her professional career? She mentioned also that she had her research and you had yours. So is her career something that will also thrive in this sort of environment?

You mentioned Linda that you felt that it was up to you to keep Andrew " well fed with the right food " or something like that .... so , is this INN ... on an expanded idea, what you want too?

He said he was born in the area but my impression was that your family is Californian. So will a California girl be able to survive in a Maine community? All these factors are vital when putting together a workable lifestyle, even if it is just in the dreaming stages now.

So, once you are up and running perhaps an older gentleman could join you too for a visit? I'll take the room that looks out over the ocean .... and the chair by the fireplace. Book me the same week that Victoria picks.

Twigsnapper
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

SO NEAT

Post by Victoria Steele »

Everone!

Isn't this amazing! Paul leaves us all alone for a few days while he is (HOPEFULLY) pounding out the next chapter and we are busy building a flipping Inn on the coast of Maine. Hell, I even have some curtains picked for the room I want. I notice that Mr. Twigsnapper has already picked his room too and his chair by the fireplace.

And how sweet! I have my own spy coming in from the cold? To meet me? Damn, Things can't get much better!

How just interesting is that? And yes, I too believe that Townsend Brown would surely have liked this place that isn't built yet. No, thats not quite right, I am sure it is built .... it just doesn't know yet what its future is.

George mentioned arriving in a large motorhome! He has even mentioned parking requirements! How specific can a person get.

And I , for some reason am planning to look for Irish lace as a gift for the new Innkeepers! Don't know why that but I figure that thought will keep me busy while I am there. (vacation soon, finally) So would that work for you Linda? How do you see the place in your minds eye? cause you know, thats what this excercise is all about! Realizing that what you see in your "minds eye" is more powerful than mere wishful thinking. Details count.

I do that for myself. I figure that someday my rather particular details for the future man in my life will reveal themselves in a solid individual. Just as I am as sure as ever that the details for your Inn will manifest themselves for you and yes, I rather think that Doctor Brown will like the place too

So, we are building an Inn ... how is the chapter? Tomorrow? I hope? Please?

Victoria
Trickfox
The Magician

winters are getting worst

Post by Trickfox »

Well now
I see that perhaps everyone has forgotten the fact that the winters in New England are absolutely cold, and miserable. Cars have a ten year life span and are all rusted and worthless after that. I live in this area right now and I am definately planning to get away from here AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

After spending nearly 24 years in California I got very comfortable with the beautiful hot dry weather of the desert. I've lived in both of these two climates, and as I get older, I find it necessary to get away from cold miserable and snowy winters at any cost.

There is place where I think everyone who wish to work together on the future technology would agree is both beautiful and mild enough for year round living. It's a very fast growing urban area in the eastern section of washington state called the Okanogan valley.

This is an evergreen area combined with a converted desert growing area where wine grapes and peaches are now grown next to a beautiful clear water lake. There are several excellent resources waiting for us there. Things like equipment, exotic minerals, Developed Land, and possibly venture capital are all waiting for us there.

After travelling all over North America, and contemplating several diferent climates and resources, I'm sure that this area is an ideal area for all of us who are interested in working together.

So please have a look at the Lake Osoyoos area everyone. It is a very attractive place for several reasons, that's why it's had a 600% increase in population with mostly young upwardly mobile and successful business entrepreneurs moving into several luscious modern urban developments.

Of course the california desert area is another place I would prefer to set up shop. I must admit that the new England area is a nice place to visit, but let me warn you that this past winter was DEVASTATING up here. I've had more than my share of snow, and miserable hot muggy humidity in the summer time, and I'm really not interested in staying up here the rest of my life.

Andrew, you better bring you wife up here to spend at least one winter before dragging a California native into this gruelling winter area, because you know very well what it's like when you car gets stuck in in the parking lot and you have to dig yourself out in a freezing snow storm. Up here the weather decides your day for you, and personally I can no longer tolerate this.

I'm going to the Okanogan valley as soon as possible to meet old friends and talk business plans. In the mean time I recommend that anyone wishing to join us in a possible future research project look up the area.
Oroville Washington, Osoyoos lake area. British Columbia/Washington state border.

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

agree with you

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Trickfox,

All points very well noted. I love the desert myself and my days of shoveling snow are long gone.

Notice however, before you get too worried about people getting zeroed in on ONLY ONE place, that if we are remembering Dr. Browns character and his legacy .... He LIKED WARM weather. So though an Inn on the Maine coast would be delightful to him. The minute the temperature started to drop ..... he would be out of there. And I know that Andrew would understand that seasonal situation.

So as long as we are all dreaming of what the future may hold, keep that in mind. We are probably talking more than one place here. I have never seen the part of the country that you have mentioned but I can see that it may be well worth investigating. A lake? Pauls ears will be wiggling I'll bet.

And thats what is happening here. Throw the ideas up in the ether. And see what comes back to you. Its very simple , if you understand.
Nice to see all this discussion. It will be very interesting in five years to see what has happened from this particular point. Elizabeeth
Martin Calloway
Junior Birdman

How about Truth or Consequences New Mexica?

Post by Martin Calloway »

Hey guys,

It doesn't fit the "Inn by the Romantic Ocean, fireside chats" BUT New Mexico is embarking in a large program to get the new space port built there in the area near Truth or Conseguences, New Mexico. And as far as new technology and new businesses there, if thats what is being talked about, take a look because the state is putting alot of money in that direction.

I an not all that familiar with your area Trickfox but I understand that it is important to have an area where the people involved in whatever project is being developed need to be healthy and happy there. So your points about the weather are certainly well taken.

And being a pilot, I usually concern myself with local facilities because you need always to be available by air, even if you are stuck way out in the countryside.

New Mexico is desert, very dry, romantic in a vastly different way... but what are you dreamers talking about here anyway? A base of operations for what?

We started talking about a B&B but sometimes I get the impression that part of this group just wants an excuse to get together to compare notes on their interest on Townsend Browns life and work and that spells "Conference" to me.

And for that you have to have a place that is relatively easy to reach and once there, interesting to visit.

Case in point is the "conference" that the Woods are holding in Vegas. Most anybody can get to Vegas. Easy in, easy out and plenty of facilities. But if you are looking for privacy . It ain't the place!

Wasn't there a conference held in Philadelphia a few years ago? I googled it once by just writing Townsend Brown Philadelphia ..... and came up with it. Andy , did you have anything to do with that? Did Linda Brown? or Paul? I looked for your names but ran into instead alot of the guys which have drawn most of their information,it looks like to me, from your original source.

So maybe this "energy flow ", this "wishful thinking", is aiming toward another conference?

Was the one in Philadelphia a success for its promoters? And if there was such a conference again, where would you guys think the best area would be?

Hey, I guess there would have to be two places, because Irish Lace and the desert? Those two atmospheres don't seem to go together, but there is no way I am going to cross Victoria once she has made her mind up on something! Martin
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

That conference was in 1994, and put on by Patrick bailey at INE. They still have a description of the conference at: http://www.padrak.com/ine/INE7.html. I had forgotten that Josh Reynolds was one of the usual line-up of speakers. I think INE has gone by the wayside since then.

None of us had anything to do with it, but I spoke with patrick once and he seemed to think it was a success.

We have always assumed that at point we would put together at least one conference, perhaps annually or as needed for scientists to get together and discuss their work. A dedicated research facility with some other limited living facilities is what we envision. Wherever we end up, we will need plenty of space and privacy.

Andrew
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

Lake house

Post by twigsnapper »

Andrew,

You are very right. Space and a certain amount of privacy would be important and for creative minds to flourish the surroundings have to be conducive. I take Mr. Trickfoxs suggestion seriously. I am slightly familiar with the land that he mentioned and he is right. Its quite nice there.

I have heard that Paul, your Ann is interested in a house on a Lake. As you know, I can be partial to big lakes and Trickfox is right ....... its a lovely spot. Maybe you all should take a look at the Lake Osoyoos area. Maybe her Lake house is there. If not, you have spent some very pleasant days in lovely country.

Correct me if my American History is slightly off Raymond, but when Chief Joseph was running from the US cavalry, didn't he try to get to the border somewhere near there? So close and yet so far! The Lake, I understand it, has a very spiritual meaning to native Americans. Perhaps a place to consider for this "conference/retreat/ Inn".

Maybe Victorias lace and my chair by the fireplace still have a chance. Twigsnapper
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

The conference

Post by Victoria Steele »

Andrew,

Thank you so much for that reference to the conference in Philadelphia. EVERYBODY ..... you need to click on to that and read what they actually said about the conference, It is MOST INTERESTING.

First of all I noticed that a couple of the speakers THERE will be at the Vegas thing in November. I JUST CAN'T WAIT. ALL OF THEM HAVE BEEN SAYING ... BROWN THIS AND BROWN THAT ....but none of them have had the slightest idea of what the man was really like or what in fact he was really doing.... I am going to transcribe just some of this report but you guys need to read this for yourselves. Its just too good.

Here they have a conference ALL ABOUT TOWNSEND BROWN and yet he says " Very little information was given regarding his private experiments and the vast amount of theoretical ideas and experimental data that he probably has documented in his research notebooks. It was repeatedly suggested that a responsible committee or networking group needs to be set up to be able to go over the details in Browns existing documents to distill what important information might be there. Josh Reynolds, Tom Valone and myself volunterred to chair this committee and get this investigation going." I'LL JUST BET.

YOU KNOW WHAT THIS REMINDS ME OF? A scene from Red October where the captain makes a comment about the russian ships that are chasing the Red October ..... that they were pinging .... but they really were going way too fast to be really listening ... they had another agenda. And thats what this feels like to me. If these people were REALLY interested in Dr. Browns work, why didn't they contact his daughter? Or failing that because I know how much she likes her privacy .... failing that why didn't they contact Andrew? He is the one that put most of the information out there that they are all drawing on anyway. I just find it strangely irritating......... oh yes .... and then the writer continues (ya gotta read this for yourself) ....... "In my panel summary during the panel discussion I presented my views that 1.) WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT TTBROWN REALLY DID .... AND WE NEED TO ORGANIZE AND DISTRIBUTE HIS PATENTS AND MATERIALS TO A COMMITTEE TO FIND OUT."

Well, folks. My impression is that other people have just been having fun gleaning material from Dr. Browns work and then padding it with their own agendas. And some of those people are going to be in Vegas in November. Better get your rooms .... this is just going to be too good to miss. Victoria