Chapter 34 - The Caroline Group

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 34 - The Caroline Group

Post by Paul S. »

I'm posting early this week since I'm leaving fairly early Thursday morning for the funeral in Utah. Chapter 34 can be found here:

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... 6_TCG.html

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Trickfox
The Magician

Great I'm first

Post by Trickfox »

OK Paul well I'm first, and all I can possibly say is; ¸- It's just another thrilling week here in wonderland where controlling unknows protect innocent travellers in a marvelous new world of mystery and secrecy which we call the paralell dimensions.

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

pleased

Post by twigsnapper »

Pleased, as always. ....... Twigsnapper
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

handing over the reins

Post by Victoria Steele »

Paul. You caught me napping sort of, I didn't actually expect you to get anything out this week!

Of course, I can tell how carefully you have researched. I look for inaccuracies and if there are mistakes in this chapter they are beyond my ability to ferret them out. So that just leaves me with my first observations (more later, I am sure)

You note that Blinker Hall turned over his intelligence operation to Stephenson ..... which would make sense, Blinker would have been an aged gentleman. Then .... when did Stephenson "retire"

So is that how the Caroline Group passed its leadership reins one from the other? And I am prompted to wonder just where on the chain of leadership might Morgan have got to? He started at what age? About Eighteen or so?

But then I realized that obviously Morgan has been one of Pauls "sources" from the area of this story that is decidedly BLACK so maybe we won't be getting all that much information.

Hey ... just to see some situations in Morgans own words. Thats great!

You know already that I like the guy and his quiet friendship with Dr. Brown and his sort of amazement at finding himself there in that situation is pretty revealing .... I mean .... you put my Dad in that situation with my first boyfriend and there would have been buckshot flying ....( not that buckshot slowed true,or otherwise, love. I think that Dr. Brown was just too darned smart for that kind of dramatic attitude. He probably figured it was like fighting against the tide and that his daughter and her happiness meant more than rightousness on his part but Morgan still seems stunned by his openmindedness in his direction.

So, its just a question to put out there. Did Morgan become Stephensons replacement? Or Dr. Browns? Why was the "Group interested particularly in this kid? Seems to me that it would have been better for Linda if he had said "Thankyou very much, but no." Late, late, late, More tomorrow!

Victoria
Annemarie
Space Cadet

coming full circle

Post by Annemarie »

Paul and Elizabeth,

Congratulations Paul. It seems that this chapter is the ONE.

It has become the frame. The middle . It is the point where both ends float free. And when that happens those ends have the ability to find thier way back to the center point.

A very kind gentleman recently told me ...."This is now the point of forward-reverse. This story is demonstrationg that it is a living evolutionary piece of work at the hands of the Universe, on the end of Pauls pen." he continued .....

"Paul has recognized that he can only show the reader what it looks like ... He must let the mirror (Alice) take it from there. In the end, We are all here as Alice, to decide for ourselves what is real and what we know and what we believe. Good work Paul," he said ..." YOU HAVE JUST BEGUN. THE END IS THE BEGINNING." Annemarie
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Thank You,

Post by Paul S. »

....Annemarie, it means a great deal to me that you like what you see unfolding. And it is very surely an unfolding for me as well as for you and everybody else following along.
This story is demonstrationg that it is a living evolutionary piece of work at the hands of the Universe, on the end of Pauls pen.
That's a beautiful image. It really lends a powerful meaning to the work. I am learning every day to have greater faith in the end of the pen, and trust the Universe for the guidance necessary.

Like one of my songwriter friends said once, here in Nashville "we don't so much make things up as we just try to recognize them when they go by..."

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: handing over the reins

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:Paul. You caught me napping sort of, I didn't actually expect you to get anything out this week!
Sometimes, Victoria, I think you are my muse... I am strongly motivated each week to keep your interest alive. This week was no exception.

You note that Blinker Hall turned over his intelligence operation to Stephenson ..... which would make sense, Blinker would have been an aged gentleman. Then .... when did Stephenson "retire"
I don't think anybody ever really "retires" from an organization like "The Caroline Group." I don't mean to imply anything diabolical (quite the contrary) but think of Al Pacino in Godfather III. You know which scene I'm talking about?
So is that how the Caroline Group passed its leadership reins one from the other? And I am prompted to wonder just where on the chain of leadership might Morgan have got to? He started at what age? About Eighteen or so?
A little older than that, maybe... 19 or 20, I think. As for the path of succession, well, more on that in due course, I think.
I think that Dr. Brown was just too darned smart for that kind of dramatic attitude. He probably figured it was like fighting against the tide and that his daughter and her happiness meant more than rightousness on his part but Morgan still seems stunned by his openmindedness in his direction.
This story is as much about the character of Townsend Brown as it is about the science, and I think that the stories about how he and Josephine handled Morgan's relationship with Linda is perhaps one of the most revealing aspects of that character. I never had any kids myself, so I can't really speak on the subject from personal experience, but I think the most important thing any parent can do is encourage their offspring to make their own decisions -- and then step back and leave them alone when they do. I think Mr. & Mrs. Brown had that ability, which is pretty rare.
So, its just a question to put out there. Did Morgan become Stephensons replacement? Or Dr. Browns?
Something like that, I think, yes.
Why was the "Group interested particularly in this kid?

Unique combination of skills and abilities. A wrestler who could speak Russian. A mystic warrior.
Seems to me that it would have been better for Linda if he had said "Thankyou very much, but no."
I suspect Linda felt the same way.

My, I'm chatty this morning. I guess that's what happens when you wake up before dawn in a hotel room in Provo Utah. The muse lives here, too.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

Somebodys muse

Paul,

What a compliment. I always wanted to be somebodys muse and now I is one!

Whats the deal with all this talk about submarines suddenly? I notice that Andrew has been talking about the Goliath system (which I know NOTHING about.) Damn ... another hotfooting trip through google. (I'll bet Linda is the only one who still goes to libraries anymore.

That thought just came to me out of the blue .... so I really would like an answer to that from you Paul, or Elizabeth ... or anybody else out there who knows her. Does she still visit her "friends" (the books in the library?)

In my head during the early part of their romance in Florida I sense that Morgan figured she was something like the girl who walked out of the ocean in the film Dr. No. Something he said to Paul about her being a "gift from the sea" and when I read that I had that image. The girl in Dr. No was self taught too ... (learning by starting at the A in an encyclodedia and going forward.) I wonder where Linda was when Morgan met her? not just the physical place but the mental place too. Just a fanciful thought. Victoria
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

horse, of course

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Paul,

I think that I have already told you that I am blessed with a horsecrazy and romantically inclined teenaged girl. The horses I am supporting ... the romance part of it worries the hell out of me. But I guess that I will have to take a lesson from Dr. Brown here and trust her judgement when it finally gets to that. Not looking forward to that.

Anyway. back to the horses. My daughter asks particularly if you might be able to post any pictures at all of Linda on a horse. ... (or perhaps Linda herself has a photo of herself at Southern Seminary.) I guess during the years that Linda was there, I have been told ... "Southern Sem" had a very fine show team that it was making its mark on the different horseshows in the area.

Its my daughters dream to be a very fine rider and she is a devoted to the older style of "forward seat equitation" (not my words, hers) which was drawn on the old "Fort Riley methods" I think that what she is looking for is a good photo of that style "over fences". Its an out of the way chance but she figures you might just have an example, through Linda, of that style of riding. All you have to turn her aside is simply say .... huh? .... I do that all the time, but I thought there might just be a chance that Linda would understand her quest. Mark C.
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Horsecrazy

Post by Paul S. »

Mark Culpepper wrote:Anyway. back to the horses. My daughter asks particularly if you might be able to post any pictures at all of Linda on a horse. ... (or perhaps Linda herself has a photo of herself at Southern Seminary.) I guess during the years that Linda was there, I have been told ... "Southern Sem" had a very fine show team that it was making its mark on the different horseshows in the area.
Mark,

It has taken a couple of weeks to get my hands on this picture, but, now, here it is:

Linda offers the following commentary along with the photo:

"Here's the "polished" picture of me and Kokomo. She was a tough horse to ride because she was not sure of herself at all and you had to ride with an iron leg. Like trying to crack walnuts. But she got around and she took the class. I was so exhausted after this ride. It had started out warm and I had debated whether to go with the lightweight hacking jacket or a heavier one. You can see that it's beginning to chill down .... by the end of the day I was freezing. This moment, was my actual finest moment at Sem. It won't really mean anything to anyone except maybe to "Lisa" Culpepper. But I'd like her to see it if you can just throw it out there for me."

"Lisa," if you've got any more questions, for Linda, just post them here, and I'll make sure she sees them and post her replies for her.

Now then, it's Thursday morning.... seems to me there is something else I'm supposed to be doing.... hmm... first breakfast.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

over the jump

Paul,

I know that you put the picture up there for Marks daughter Lisa but I just wanted to thank you very much, you know its the first picture we have of Linda , isn't it? I don't recall ever seeing a picture of her and this is so nice, even though its hard to actually see her face that well. You can sure tell that she is a damned good rider.

I just messed with my pony and tried to help my Dads neighbors move cattle here and there, never jumped at all unless it was by mistake, and I know I wouldn't have had that beautiful form! But I am a horsewoman , believe it or not .... and I appreciate the hard work that is represented in that figure.

So, Linda, was this your own horse as Lisa suggested? Shes a beauty, I'd guess a thoroughbred? How long did you trainbefore you even went to "Sem" . And the question all of us have I guess is , how did you ever manage to keep up with your horsemanship and still change schools five times a year? Amazing! Victoria
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

thank you so much

Post by Mark Culpepper »

To Linda Brown,

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for sending me that picture of you and Kokomo. I am as impressed as I thought I would be!

I can tell that the mare had full confidence in you, ears up, looking for the next fence while in midflight! Dad says thats a good lesson to learn . To be always looking ahead! And you said she was a fizzy mare which makes it all the more difficult.

I know when Dad mentions "looking ahead" that that he is talking about COLLEGE and its enough to freak a person out! He was always such a good student in college, deans list and all that. And my Uncle is like brilliant. Its hard to get a clear head unless I am up on one of my horses.

Anyway. Your form is what I want, someday! I notice that you are using sort of a modified crest release. Is that because she was so insecure? I have to do that with Rapid Response or he falls apart on me and hes' too big to be doing that! and I can tell that your hands are excellent! I have been doing alot of riding without stirrups to get better balance and my instructor even has us jumping with our hands out. I am getting better!

So, can I ask if Morgan knew anything about horses? Was that one of the things that you had in common? Dad says not to ask. So ignor that if you want. Thanks so much. I admire you very much. " Lisa"

Can you tell me at all if you continued your interest in horses?
grinder
Senior Officer

good point

Post by grinder »

Paul , good point. The picture of the rider is the only picture we are going to have of Linda Brown? Is that the way its going to stay? I hope not! Surely you can share some other family pictures as this story continues? I have gotten the impression that even this one would perhaps not seen the light of day if it hadn't been for Lisas request.

And thats interesting, this whole thing about Lindas privacy. I noticed how quickly the questions about her private life got "locked down". In fact its the only locked out section of the forum.

Andrew said something earlier in one of his posts that Linda had been thought killed in the eighties or so, can't really remember the details, I just remembered that . And I wondered why your nearly strident security measures as far as she is concerned. So whats the deal here? Should it make that much difference where she is? what she looks like etc? Her Dad is long gone so why is it that she remains in the shadows? grinder
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

The Lesson of Horses

Post by Paul S. »

grinder wrote:The picture of the rider is the only picture we are going to have of Linda Brown? Is that the way its going to stay? I hope not!
Until such time as Ms. Brown elects to emerge from her own shadows, we are going to have to respect her desire for anonymity.

However, after this photo was posted, she offered a little additional commentary, which might be pertinent to another discussion that is being conducted elsewhere, so I'm posting it here, per Linda's suggestion/request:

"Harking back to my love of horses and the knowledge that they gave me ..... It doesn't matter how well bred or brilliant a horse is, if he can't take on the discipline of accepting some sort of control, of learning some sort of lesson (as in ... how to stand with others at the gate ... how to break when the bell rings, how to manuver in traffic, how to understand the mental games that the other jockeys (and horses) play on you. If you are this brilliant blindingly fast thoroughbred its all going to come to nothing if you can't play in the race horse world."

I think there are valuable lessons there for all of us.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

lessons from horses

Post by Mark Culpepper »

To Linda Brown, Lisa here

I wanted to share with you a problem I had this last week at one of my first shows and I hope its alright.

You know I have "Rapid Response" ... he's like enormous (17hands) and he impresses the judges big time! But he has the mind of a toddler!I mean that seriously!!! He throws fits, sulks! tantrums, the horse version! How do I get that kind of quiet, polished look that you and Kokomo display in your picture? How do I get there?

This is so frustrating! I actually cried in his stall last night because Dad says that if I can't come, as he puts it, "To some sort of "UNDERSTANDING" with the horse that he is going to sell him! "recoup some of his investment" he says, and I don't blame him! To those of you in Virginia right now you know its pretty darned big chunk. You just don't get the kind of horse he is without sacrificing.

And Blinker has so much potential! and if I can't reach an understanding with him I am afraid of what might happen to him in the future! I'm the best rider for him, I KNOW I am! but how do I get him to go along with me? He's acting like he doesn't even LIKE me and I don't understand this because I have never been anything but kind to him! but he does such awful things!!!!!!. We sent the ring stewart flying last weekend cause I had no control. Got thrown out!!!!!! How bad can you get?

The agent who sold him to us warned us that he might be "too much horse for your little girl" (which I took as an INSULT BIG TIME. But now I am wondering) Can you help me? "Lisa"