The Spiritual Implications of Time Travel, Etc.

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Trickfox
The Magician

Finally, a REAL question!!

Post by Trickfox »

"So I ask you, Grinder, Mark, Trickfox, Elizabeth, Victoria, and all of the others here, to answer similar questions Victoria asked me:
Lets just say that another intelligence presented itself to you.
How would you regard it, falling back on your beliefs? If it does not appear to you as being "human," how would that affect your viewpoint?
And,...... Isn't this what this forum is all about anyway?

My answer is this.
-I would be asking myself these questions:
Where is the edge of "the transdimensional mirror" that I have just crossed?

"Another intelligence" from where?

"Present itself"?

How?

Was it : Ball plasma control Polydimensional transposition by bubble condensation, or quantum phase decomposition, etc, etc...

"See whut-a-mean Vern"

Guess I would fall back on my instruments before falling back on my beliefs.

Of course, -it could all have to do with the "psychic messages" from a kitty cat just being born and looking for it's daddy.

Then, I can just throw all my instruments in the truck and pick up the kitty cat and go play with it in the grass and enjoy the simple things in life.

I'll let you know if and when it happens to me.

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Trickfox
The Magician

Trickfox humour

Post by Trickfox »

As I recall they included pictures of a man and a woman, and the words " greetings" in almost all the languages on earth. Am I right?
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=166
That is correct but the message will probably be missinterpreted as : "Greetings, we are about to have sex" :lol:
Last edited by Trickfox on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

nice to meet you

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Ha! Trickfox!

I think that you have reacted sort of the way Dr. Brown might have if faced by another being from "somewhere else". It would have probably gone something like this. Forget the complicated "where am I in the Universe scenarios" it would have gone more like:

"Hi, nice to meet you, have a good trip? Now .... tell me about this thing you are driving"

" Yah know whut Vern?" Another cosmic haha surfacing! Elizabeth
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Where We're Going.... we don't need roads....

Post by Paul S. »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote:"Hi, nice to meet you, have a good trip? Now .... tell me about this thing you are driving"
Ah, that would be my fusion-powered DeLorean...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
grinder
Senior Officer

early drawings?

Post by grinder »

Ha. Thats funny! "yes, yes, yes ... you are from outer space or another dimension, whatever, .... now .... wait for a moment ... while I get something to take notes ...... now this is ..... connected .... where?" Great visual. And I'll bet thats just about the way it happened.

So, following my thought on that.

Paul, does the family, Linda I guess, have any scribbles or saved notes from those early thoughts? Most creative people do that. They scribble! I wonder if any of that was saved? That would be fascinating!

What would THIS Dr. Browns DeLorean have looked like? I mean, would he have put his new engine in a model T? Or whatever his family was driving when he was a teenager? Or whenever it was that he would have said to another being "Hi there, how was your trip, now, tell me how this works" Did he draw "space ships" that early? See what I am getting at. What he drew would tell you what he had been faced with, maybe?

grinder
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

For my own reasons

Post by Mikado14 »

I am bringing this thread to the top and I ask the question of the title with an addendum:

What are the Spritiual Implications of Time Travel......if any?

I have contemplated a statement that "as the army was coming in one gate, I was going out the other" and I have thought deeply upon this.

I think of watching an older gentleman handing a helmet to a younger man in the mud and feel no spriritual implication other than the sorrow I felt for the young man. The need to go over put my arm around his shoulder but not being able to.

If there is a natural law that preempts the "saving of your young sister's life" than what, who/whom has written those laws? If corporeal travel in time becomes available, would we know the pain Captain Kirk felt when he had to let Edith Keeler die? Could any of us here on the forum be able to do so?

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
kevin.b
The Navigator

Re: The Spiritual Implications of Time Travel, Etc.

Post by kevin.b »

Mikado 14,
http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_if.htm
The first thing I can remember is my nanna( grandmother) telling me that IF followed a dust cart, thinking it was a wedding.
it took soooooooo long for me to realise that IF, is nonesense.
kevin
fibonacci is king
arc
Junior Birdman

Post by arc »

Pure speculation;

"IF" you can time travel then
A- It is impossible to change events because they have already happened and you cant unmake an event
B- You can change something, but in so doing it would cause a branch in the timeline such that you can no longer go back to what you used to know as the future because it is now different.

Mikado, I think both scenarios contain spiritual elements. They both involve personalities/entities housed in a physical body. The first may be able to go back and watch but not change anything. The watching would bring sadness or joy or both both hopefully it would also deliver learning. The second scenario is difficult, it is meddling, but then again any world power that could would definitely try to meddle to their own advantage, they just could not help themselves. They see it as their right because they possess the technology and others don't, what they don't realise is the implications for total annihilation. The selfish act of meddling is just that, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

One must ask oneself what is the purpose in the act of time travel, is it to aid learning and not interfere, or is it an attempt to tweak things for a particular desired outcome, which itself will set off additional unexpected ripples of events not forseen by the brains trust that sent the grunt back to change things in the first place. You cannot drop the moon into the ocean and not expect to drown ALL the surrounding islands. Collateral damage is unacceptable. Lastly, just who gave the traveller the ABSOLUTE TOTAL AND ALL POWERFUL RIGHT to go back and interfere.

Think for a few moments on the possibilities of one country going back far enough and sinking the ship that was going to discover America, or far enough to stop the tribe from crossing the mountain ranges to eventually form Russia, the outcome of WWII, or or or? where does it ever stop? only when the cockroaches are the new rulers!?

We must ask what is the purpose. Is it EVER justifiable.

In my view, of all the technologies that man can ever create, this one will result in the total extinction of mankind.

In many ways I think Kevins answer may be right... if not, then the puppet masters will define our doom.
I do not believe our destiny lays beneath our feet... it lays beneath the stars
Trickfox
The Magician

Post by Trickfox »

"IF" you can time travel then
A- It is impossible to change events because they have already happened and you cant unmake an event
I believe this point of view is purely SUBJECTIVE.....
Objectively, the events can change around you without you being aware. If a conflict arrises which prevents you from participating in the reality of the events then you are the only entity not consciously aware of the events, either because you don't exist,-or have died, or are simply not aware for various purely logical reasons.

This proves Kevins poem reference quite lierally (if, -I understand the poem anyhow :wink: )

I have a whole book on this called "Satan, Cantor, and Infinity" by Raymond Smullyan It's chalk full of mind blowing "thought experiments" which revolves around a mysterious Island where Knights and Knaves live and a modern day scientist goes about asking questions to sort out "first order math logic".

It's one of my favorite books because it has no formulas but the "logic" is totally STUNNING and it makes perfect sense.
From Publishers Weekly
In Smullyan's latest challenging collection of logic puzzles, the Sorcerer, a logician who uses logic so cleverly it seems like magic, visits an island where intelligent robots create other robots. King Zorn, Princess Annabelle, truth-telling knights and lying knaves lighten the presentation of puzzles as the Sorcerer explains the pioneering discoveries of mathematician Georg Cantor (1845-1918) who proved that there are different orders of infinity, and as he delves into paradoxes about probability, time and change. Smullyan ( The Lady or the Tiger? ) tosses in metapuzzles (which are solved on the basis of knowing that certain other puzzles can or cannot be solved) and explores self-referentiality, a property crucial to Kurt Godel's famous incompleteness theorem. The Sorcerer closes with a tale of how Satan is outwitted by a student of Cantor's. A mind-stretching entertainment for the serious, dedicated puzzle-solver.
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Trickfox