Chapter 32: Reflections on Biscayne Bay

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

repeating patterns of wierdness

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Like I said Trickfox, you are a wonder of nature.

You said that you "Pay attention to wierdness and repeating patterns"

And thats pretty much it, in a nutshell, when you are looking for the fingerprints of reality ..... as we are learning it.

Like, finding a turtle on a post. Gee thats weird. and further up the line .... another turtle on another post.

I think, from looking at his research through the years, Townsend Brown was somehow given information ahead of time ... so he knew apparently what the deal with the turtle was .... maybe even how it had been placed .... but it took him longer to understand the repeating pattern of it.

Did I just fall in my own rabbithole? Thanks Trickfox for that little gem. Elizabeth
grinder
Senior Officer

solid stuff

Post by grinder »

Elizabeth and everybody,

I have really enjoyed all of these discussions but compared to everybody else I am pretty cut and dried ,I think, mentally. Not too much room there for all of these wonderful mental "considerations" I just sort of put one foot ahead of the other. People say that I get focused on stuff and won't let it go and thats the way this story has been for me. I just grind away at information.

All my best to those who want to consider implications for mankind, past , present and future. Thats fine. I just want to know what happens NEXT in the story and as intellectual as all the messages are (great mind expanders) .... they have one thing in common with me. We are all just waiting for the next chapter.

So Paul, we get this Thursday ........ AND next Thursday ? before you take a week off. Right? grinder
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: solid stuff

Post by Paul S. »

grinder wrote:So Paul, we get this Thursday ........ AND next Thursday ? before you take a week off. Right?
No, you get this Thursday (April 27) and the following Thursday (May 6) I'm AFK (Away From Keyboard).

And the Thursday after that (May 13) is contingent on the plane coming to complete stop at the end of the runway and luggage not shifting too much in the overhead compartments.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

Hold your breath silly

Post by Victoria Steele »

Paul,

I don't know exactly where you are going but I hope you have a good time on your vacation. Just give us enough to chew on really hard before you go so we won't miss you all that much!

The thought occurred to me. Are you ever sort of half waiting for some stranger to come up to you when you are "out of the country" like this. Seems to me thats how it happens .... writer finds himself on deserted beach somewhere and some mysterious stranger comes up sort of unannounced .... and basically gives you information you didn't expect. Has that happened in the past? You think it might happen in the future? How much over the shoulder looking does that generate? Victoria
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

strangers ?

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Yes Paul , I hope you have a good time too. Just came off my vacation so I have no room to gripe .

Victoria has a really good point (as always!)

I would think, now that I have a better view of the sort of people that must have filled Townsend Browns life, that you would have a tendency to "look over your shoulder" a good bit. Dan Brown said recently that many of his "sources" for his fictional ideas were "shadowy characters. And I can't see that you would be in any different shoes. Even barefooted.

So, who are these guys who have been giving you all this wonderful information? I know that most of it is from your research but still ....

Morgans first hand recollections, for example. You obviously have had many conversations with the man. Face to face? Do you know what he looks like? what he does in the "other world"? What he is doing now?

It comes across that you have quite a high regard for the man. Drawn from .... what experiences? I realize that you may not be able to share very much. I am sure that he wouldn't have picked someone to broadcast his name and identity all over . But still, is there any way you can tell us any more about the individual who has been able to give us such a wonderfully detailed account of his experiences with Townsend Brown?

Over my shoulder I can sense Victoria saying ..... "good! A question about Morgan! "I might remind her that the fellow must be in his early sixties right now ..... perhaps a bit old for her? Mark C.
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

naked in the front seat

Post by Victoria Steele »

Thought that heading would get somebodys attention.

Too old for me? Ya think? ... Listen I happen to believe that this guy would never be too old for anybody. Re-read Chapter 14 ...... Sunday morning (Linda) wrote .... "I guess that Morgan has made things even worse. Word from the grapevine is that last evening he took a girl skinny dipping in the farm pond.......................his father stormed out of the house to pull the keys to the car "Only to discover a naked girl dripping wet in the front seat." ...........

You hafta laugh. I laugh even harder now thinking that there is probably a nice respectable Main Line matron .... in her late fifties, early sixties ... reading those words NOW going "Oh my God, Oh My God Oh My God" Wanna bet?

I think this guy is pretty terrific. Too old? I doubt. Victoria
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

on apathy

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

I'll let you head up the "Morgan" fan club. Consider me signed up!

But to other things. Gabriel said something interesting the other day and I wanted to repeat it. He wondered if the ordinary person could accept the challenge that Dr. Brown work presented. "Will he be able to rise above his TV, Football, and beer and even care to investigate the possibilities that Brown proposed to man?"

I asked myself that too but you know .... the ordinary person hasn't even been ASKED yet. If he is still watching TV etc. I understand that he doesn't have the slightest idea of what Townsend Brown was doing or what he may have thought or accomplished.

You see ,so as far as the general public is concerned Townsend Browns message hasn't actually reached anyone yet. Not many people at all even know about his work.

So perhaps we are being unfair here just assuming that (Once the public KNOWs about the possibilities they will still be apathetic.) If so, that will be a terrible prediction about our future... Entire civilizations have fallen because of that sort of apathy. But I am an optimist. I like to think that people will finally pay attention. Elizabeth
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Re: on apathy

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote:So perhaps we are being unfair here just assuming that (Once the public KNOWs about the possibilities they will still be apathetic.) If so, that will be a terrible prediction about our future... Entire civilizations have fallen because of that sort of apathy. But I am an optimist. I like to think that people will finally pay attention. Elizabeth
Good evening, this is my first post. I agree with Ms. Drake ~ I'm an ordinary person who just found out about the possibilities. And I'm not apathetic... where do I sign up? I've been reading and reading and reading. I guess I have a lot of conversation to catch up on! I really like the romance. I also like the science and spy thriller themes. Paul, this is really great; looking forward to the rest of it.

When's chapt 33 comin'?

Linda
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Just because you're paranoid...

Post by Paul S. »

...doesn't mean they're not out to get you...
Victoria Steele wrote:I don't know exactly where you are going but I hope you have a good time on your vacation.
Cozumel. Scuba diving. Communing with the fishes. Pray I don't flood my underwater camera again before I've actually taken some pictures this time.
Just give us enough to chew on really hard before you go so we won't miss you all that much!
I'm working on it. Nice to know I'll be missed. :D
The thought occurred to me. Are you ever sort of half waiting for some stranger to come up to you when you are "out of the country" like this. Seems to me thats how it happens .... writer finds himself on deserted beach somewhere and some mysterious stranger comes up sort of unannounced .... and basically gives you information you didn't expect. Has that happened in the past?

I have been to a couple of tropical locations since this project began, but have yet to be approached by a mysterious stranger with a plain brown envelope, or even a good story.
You think it might happen in the future?

We can only hope...
How much over the shoulder looking does that generate?
Plenty.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

I want my (HD) TeeVee!

Post by Paul S. »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote: Gabriel said something interesting the other day and I wanted to repeat it. He wondered if the ordinary person could accept the challenge that Dr. Brown work presented. "Will he be able to rise above his TV, Football, and beer and even care to investigate the possibilities that Brown proposed to man?"
On behalf of all the vast multitudes of TeeVee, football, and beer -loving "average" middle-aged middle-Americans out there, I think I resemble that remark....

OK, I don't like football much (I'm more into baseball myself), and I never liked beer even when I drank (which stopped nearly two decades ago)... but still..... what's wrong with TeeVee?

After all, how else would millions of Americans have learned about Townsend Brown's contribution to civilzation, the Ionic Breeze Air Purfifier... oh, right, forgot.... Richard Thalheimer (founder of Sharper Image) invented that....
You see ,so as far as the general public is concerned Townsend Browns message hasn't actually reached anyone yet. Not many people at all even know about his work.
Which of course is ironic when you consider just those millions (a WAGuess) who are breathing his ionized air....
So perhaps we are being unfair here just assuming that (Once the public KNOWs about the possibilities they will still be apathetic.) If so, that will be a terrible prediction about our future... Entire civilizations have fallen because of that sort of apathy. But I am an optimist. I like to think that people will finally pay attention.
Which brings us to the ultimate, practical implications of our work here. Perhaps the book will cause people to sit up and take notice. But how to we get people to sit up and take note of the book?

Anybody wanna spearhead the publicity committee?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Madison
Space Cadet

applying for the committee

Post by Madison »

Paul,

I have some experience in that field.

But I am sure, once you have secured a publisher, the publicity end of it will be beating down your door.

I would like some involvement. Put my name down somewhere. Perhaps we can talk further in Vegas.

Madison
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Wynken, Blyken and Nod

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Linda Bolland , and everybody

I laughed when I saw your post (by the way, welcome!) because of the little poem that you included. Some sort of wierd cosmic connection with me. As you might know already my daughter has horses, get ready, her favorite poem was that poem ,so of course, my wallet is supporting three hayburners. Oh they have fancy show names, but their "stable names" are "Wynken" (Royal Secrets) Blyken (Rapid Response) and "Nod" (Summertimes Easy) . So thankyou for that laugh!

Yes! I agree with you. Where do we sign up! I will personally hand deliver these books if need be, wherever they have to go. If they think the Girl Scouts can sell cookies! Just wait!

Paul, I know you are busy but as soon as you post tomorrows chapter can you more fully answer the questions on Morgan (now my daughter is asking)

(Linda, he posts on Thursdays generally, but this will be the last for awhile because HE IS GOING ON VACATION) Is all right. With another person reading what he has written carefully I expect the forum will be just brimming with comments, and I agree with you . I like what he is writing. I realize that he says this is the "work in progress" and we all seem to be sidewalk superintendants but its all part of a working system.

Hey Paul. When you go to selling the book. Don't forget the school systems. A copy of this book (at least one) needs to be in every school in the country. Not only because of the historical content but maybe a tribute to how Linda Brown and Morgan met. Mark C.
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Re: Wynken, Blyken and Nod

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Mark Culpepper wrote:

I laughed when I saw your post (by the way, welcome!) because of the little poem that you included. Some sort of wierd cosmic connection with me. As you might know already my daughter has horses, get ready, her favorite poem was that poem ,so of course, my wallet is supporting three hayburners. Oh they have fancy show names, but their "stable names" are "Wynken" (Royal Secrets) Blyken (Rapid Response) and "Nod" (Summertimes Easy) . So thankyou for that laugh!
I don't think even my husband knows this: The first time I came across that poem, we had just met, about 12 years ago. I was doing research in San Diego (Andy was in Ohio), and my PI's wife was pregnant at that time, and we were all sitting down at a conference with the big muck-a-mucks... she just started quoting that poem, and the stories from Dr. Suess (the one about the who's)... I think we were talking about someone, and one of the MD's said "Who?" and I said "What?" and he said "Who?" again and she started in on the poetry. Only two people in that room got it (Myself, and Damaris - our research nurse). It was hilarious. Yup, one of my favorite poems, ever since.

I think the public will be a lot less apathetic when they actually get the story; Paul you have written about obscure scientists of the 20th century, and this is about the most obscure scientist there is. But we'll be changin' that pretty soon!
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Madison
Space Cadet

making connections

Post by Madison »

Linda Bolland, Dr. Jordan

Ah! Now I make the connection Linda ... You are Andy Bollands wife, right? I thought that name was familiar. How interesting its going to be to get your side of what its been like to be involved in a project like this!

Dr. Jordan , You mentioned in another post that you felt somehow led into certain situations , by God , or as some of the others here have called "The controlling unknown" I guess thats the math term for it. And you asked if others of us have experienced that feeling, that we were perhaps PUT in a certain place at a certain time for a particular purpose.

So, I was just wondering LindaB what you thought about the work that Andrew became so interested in .... You have known him for 12 years and he has said that he has known Linda Brown for 20 some .... so he had 8 years to get really wound into the work. I mean, following the work of such an "obscure scientist" must have been hard for him to explain to you. What did you first think when Andrew mentioned this "Townsend Brown?" If he mentioned "flying saucers" right off .... what did you first think of Andrew, I wonder ...."OK heres a lunatic fringe candidate?" (My regards to you Andrew, you know I aam kidding!)

And are we all going to be in Las Vegas in November. How early do I have to make my reservations and sign up for the conference I wonder. Any advice? Madison
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Madison,

Alas, my efforts to protect my dear, sweet, innocent wife from our motley group have been in vain :wink:

Andrew