Chapter 29 - Quadratic Equations and Mr. X

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 29 - Quadratic Equations and Mr. X

Post by Paul S. »

Chapter 29 is now online:

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... aticX.html

I'm just getting this topic started. Y'all talk amongst yerselves now...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

who hasn't been there?

Post by Victoria Steele »

OK, Ok! I know we ALL have different "first time" stories but there is something really touching about this. Who hasn't been there?

I have to laugh at myself a little because I have gotten so focused in on this couple and I couldn't exactly explain why. I just very early got the sense that this was a REAL love story here and all of you know me. I am constantly in search of that, not always finding it. (You get a little sick of kids just "hooking up" then five days later, its another partner, no commitment, no real memories. There just has to be more to the experience than all of that. And there in the Florida moonlight I can sense that this couple at least, found it.)

But now my heart is in my throat. Paul hasn't said much but I can tell ... trouble on the horizon. I know I am right but you know, as heartbreaking as it is going to be it was probably worth the ride.

I want to thank Linda for sharing this experience with us and to Paul for writing it as sensitively as he had. I know that the future is probably going to include the heartbreak that Josephine warned her about. The quote was " he will probably break your heart ... and I have a feeling that lady knew ALOT and that all probably came true.

So I am here Paul, bugging you. What happens next? And whothehell is Mr. X? Quadratic equations! Ha! A sense of humor and reality. I knew there was a reason I liked this Morgan guy! Victoria
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

being protective

Post by Mark Culpepper »

I am a little concerned here.

Maybe its because I know how these guys work who are interested in getting into intelligence work. They know how to use the sources available to them and thats what I see here. I am happy for Victoria that she has found her knight in shining armor and I am touched with her too over the "first time' story ... But I am worrying now. Was this something that Morgan had planned all along? Who is seducing whom here? And what are the agendas? And then you introduce a character by the name of Mr. X ... from Nassau? Who the hell is he? I just get suspicious.

Speaking from another point ... Warren (my brother) says that it was probably all preplanned by Morgan to get into the "organization" that he had recognized while a student. Obviously the kid is not dumb and he probably saw the opportunity. A powerful scientist, a pretty daughter. A vunerable daughter . Its the perfect chess move. Is that what was happening?

I guess that I have involved myself on Lindas behalf because I have had a sense of how tough her life had been to that point and I worry now that she seems to have found this great love ... that it was all ... a strategic move to meet an agenda. So? Mark
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

Not stupid

Mark,

I can see your point, though I don't want to. Sure. Its the perfect move. And Paul had said earlier that Morgan had responded with a "plan to seduce" Linda while they were in school and the summer later. But things just didn't go in his direction and that bugged him because he was not accustomed to that. And then there was Charles. I got the impression that Morgan was having a hard time just getting past that dude, whoever he actually was.

So, OK . as much as I hate to cloud over the romantic part of it , I am a realist too and perhaps "the kid" did have an "extended plan" to work himself into some sort of situation. Maybe whatever he figured Charles was doing? Paul wrote that the kids at the school thought Dr. Brown represented the Mafia. Maybe Morgan thought that too. Everybody knows how important family ties are to THEM <g>.

But I just cannot believe that an agenda that transparent would have gotten past Dr. Brown. Certainly not with his daughter. Who it is VERY OBVIOUS was the great love of his life. I doubt that Dr. Brown would let anything close to that situation develop. And what about Josephine? Her attitude is very interesting I think.

So why then did the Browns greet this kid with the open arms that they did? And looking at it sideways. Maybe it was the Browns that needed this kid? As Mark said ... Just who was seducing whom here? Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Here we go again...<g>

Post by Paul S. »

Reading the previous comments, all I can say is: you seem to be reducing the whole storyline into an 'either/or' proposition (something, as we've noted previously, that I myself have never been guilty of...).

To wit: Either Morgan was genuinely interested in Linda and involved with her for pure emotion's sake / or he was using his relationship with her to ingratiate himself with Dr. Brown.

OK, there's two possibilities. What else have ya got?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Perhaps more choices

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Perhaps you are right Paul, perhaps there are always more things involved than the simple black and white. Obviously the two lovers were just that. What brings you together, what keeps you together, well thats always a mystery anyway, right?

I had asked earlier about all the moves that the family went through while Linda was in school. You mentioned that the Browns also had lived in Nassau. That blew me away. I had never read that in anything else written about him so obviously I have to ask directly ....... NASSAU? what the heck was he doing in Nassau? I just wrote a post to Neenie about Catalina, asking the same question ... "why Catalina?" I knew from Bill Moore and others that he had lived in Hawaii for awhile.

Was this just part of his personality? ........ or did this have something to do with his research? Why would someone CONSTANTLY MOVE LIKE THIS? This, I think is unique to Townsend Brown. I have never noted that other scientists ever lived this kind of life.

I have already stated that I thought that he must have been involved in something similar to my Dads work (CIA) because of the moves that we all had to endure (until my parents divorced)So, am I right here in drawing similarities ?, or am I really off base? Can't be that far off because you yourself mentioned the CIA earlier in this webpage. as I recall the question was " Was Brown CIA? ... is that the old teachers trick?, asking a question you already know the answer to .... just to get your students to start thinking in that direction? OK. You got my attention. Mark
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

rare and valuable

You guys ...

had me going there for awhile, thinking , MAYBE Morgan was just being the hormone driven, agenda loaded snot that seemed to be previously. He himself had said to Paul that "I had no scruples" (Chapter 1, The Boy with Chestnut Hair) so why would I start to think that things were different in any way.? But there is a clue that he must have told Paul much later in his life because in the last page in Chapter 2 (No Moving Parts) which makes me think he was truely in love with her. Romance Wins!

The quote I found I am going to bother to copy. You guys need to see it.

""Now, I'm not entirely dumb" Morgan said. She seemed to really like me. We started hanging out as spring turned to summer. We went for rides on my motorcycle, swam at the old quarry, spent entire days at Ashlawn. I kept telling myself to move on her but .... something kept me from following my usual course. Looking back on it, I understand what was actually happening. SOMETHING VERY DIFFERENT HAD COME OVER ME AND I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE IT, I JUST KNEW WHEN I LOOKED AT LINDA AND TALKED WITH HER THAT THIS RELATIONSHIP WAS RARE AND VALUABLE AND THAT MY RESPONSIBILITY WAS TO GUARD AND PROTECT IT, NOT EXPLOIT IT."

So there guys. For those of you who don't know what LOVE is. There it is. Take a good look! Victoria
Trickfox
The Magician

mommy, what are they doing in there on the sleeping porch?

Post by Trickfox »

Wow, I had to take a cold shower after reading this chapter. :oops:

OK, so finally someone has said the magic word Quadratic Equations! :roll:

Better pay a lot of attention you folks who are just catching on to this website.

Mr. X..... hey! well now..... just a bit more intigue, but frustrating as hell of course because of the "to be continued" aspect.

When I was a kid I use to watch "Lost In Space" and when it ended with those cliff hangers, it was the first time that I had seen this torturous tactic and I still throw pillows at the TV when it happens.

That was a good one Paul, now, I'm sitting here on the edge of my seat waiting for the next thing you are going to write. It flows very well and will probably turn out to be a best seller if you keep going like this buddy.

Raymond
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Thanks, everybody

Post by Paul S. »

I am very pleased that you all seemed to like this Chapter 29. I think I can safely say that Linda is also pleased, and I should publicly thank her for giving me the material I had to work with. I really did feel at times the real work had already been done for me, that all I had to do was paste together the pieces I'd been given and smooth out the rough edges. I am glad it turned out as well as it did.

And I appreciate everybody hanging in there with me as this saga slowly unfolds. If it was not a "work in progress," you could all just turn the page to the next chapter. I am grateful your patience while I figure out just what that's gonna be....

Rolling right along....

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

patiently waiting

Paul,

I may bug you but I am content to wait to see what develops.

I think we all know how careful you have tried to be, avoiding all those "weasel words" and such. Thats what makes this is SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING than the all the wild speculation that has been rampant about Townsend Browns life and work up to this point. Your story has HEART Paul and thats hard to find.

I am like Trickfox, I admit. You left me wanting more of the story! .... but I am willing to wait too because I still know that I will be one of the first to be able to read it .... I'll be waiting .... Next Thursday, Right? Do we find out who Mr. X is? Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: patiently waiting

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote: I may bug you but I am content to wait to see what develops.
To the contrary, Victoria, you don't bug me at all. Whenever I am writing something, I try to have a "target audience" in mind; The wonderful thing about this whole online "work in progress" approach is that it makes it that much easier to feel the presence of a target audience in you and the others who chime in here. On a very valuable, subconscious level, you are all part of the process now, and what you might think of as "bugging" and the other input here just tells there is interest in all the aspects of this story.
Next Thursday, Right?
Well, yes, assuming the muses and -- how did Trickfox put it, the "controlling unknowns"? -- continue to keep the fingers a-flyin' on the keyboard...
Do we find out who Mr. X is?
Yes, but I ain't sayin' when... :wink:

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

muses that we are

Paul,

You know you have mentioned muses before and I sort of think that maybe those on this discussion forum are actually that. We are your muses in a way ... and you are ours. There is sure alot to think about. And the scarey part is, the further you get into this, the more complicated and multifaceted it becomes.

And you seem to have several here (I am one) who have sort of volunteered to be your students. Mark and I , Trickfox too , and others to varying degrees, we all seem to be part of a "learning system". And so it is sort of "a dance of the Shiva" .... (if you have been into quantum physics any time at all you will run into that phrase. But I believe that is what is happening here and frankly, I wouldn't miss it for the world.

So, I have been studying up. So you DO know who this Mr. X is. Now thats bound to be interesting ... and in response to another question you said that you knew how Dr. Brown lost his finger. If its some grusome lab mistake, like Heim ...I don't need to hear about it .... mistakes like that ... happen all the time, unfortuneately.

And of course ... What happens with Morgan and Linda. You said earlier that she and her husband George spent time on Catalina (running a shop?) so I guess that she and Morgan never married? Now, why does that not suprise me. He is already showing the signs of the kind of obsession that happens when something so earthshaking crosses your path. You give up alot and I have a feeling that Morgan was one of those individuals. But , I know ... I have to wait. <g> Victoria
grinder
Senior Officer

jumping on this train

Post by grinder »

Everybody

I am not sure if I have anything worth adding to this conversation.
I have been watching and reading. I can't tell which is more fun, reading the forum or reading the chapters. Not sure I understand some of the topics on the forum and Its not what I expected. I thought I was going to get to find out what REALLY happened with the Philadelphia Experiment but Paul seems to be avoiding the issue. I figure he must have a good reason so its going to be worth hanging around just to see what happens.

Elizabeth invited new people to join the forum. So here I am. Not sure exactly why I'm here but you guys are sure into some interesting stuff. Its probably going to take me awhile to figure out what I want to say. Its hard to jump in. The conversation is going like a 100 miles an hour! How do you guys all know so much?. grinder
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

100 miles an hour

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Welcome grinder,

Your comments, observations and even the slightest of musings is entirely welcome here.

You asked how we "all know so much". Jeez .... None of us know everything thats for sure .... but each of us does know SOMETHING. And when we join together in discussion trying to figure out the path of a very complicated man. Its amazing the kind of energy that seems to be involved when we all get "onto " something. To me it looks like EACH ONE of us has certain gifts to bring to this discussion so we all welcome you and the thoughts that you bring with you.

And that invitation goes also to those out there who have been watching this train of conversation rocketing along. Pick a spot to board and then just DO IT. The thoughts you have to share with us are valuable and if you have even the slightest urge to join the conversation PLEASE DO.

Happy to see your comments grinder, looking forward to more! Elizabeth
Madison
Space Cadet

jumping on this train too

Post by Madison »

All,

I have been following with great interest and since I feel I got sort of a personal invitation to join up.Like "grinder" I am not sure what I have to say yet.

So there is a new "installment" from Paul each week? Is that the arrangement?

I am interested to see where the story is going because I have watched the way Paul has introduced the two couples. "Dr. and Mrs Brown and then Linda and Morgan. At first I was a little confused because I really didn't get what the relevancy of the younger couple had on the story.

But I get the drift now sort of. Paul is just letting the story unfold, right?And we will see the connections later, right?

I do have some final questions. I noticed that Paul asked the question quite a bit earlier "Was Townsend Brown a CIA operative?".

Who would Dr. Brown have been working for? He doesn't seem to fit into any cloak and dagger type scenarios and the impression I have gotten was that he was a peace loving man. So why is Paul asking that question? Its sort of a strange leading guestion. Anybody else have thoughts about Dr. Brown and the CIA? What section would he have worked for, I wonder? He seemed more interested in his lab work than any type of "intelligence gathering". Madison