MEETING DR. BROWN

The website is all about his life and work; here, let us focus on defining and celebrating his outstanding personal qualities.
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

still?

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Now THERE IS AN INTERESTING COMMENT JUST SORT OF LOBBED IN THERE.

Meaning. That Dr. Brown joined a Stephenson organization in 1933 and thirty one years later, was STILL IN IT? I've got to take a few moments to think on that one.

Which means that his meeting with Morgan (leaving Linda behind for that sailing trip) WAS possibly a recruitment of a younger member.? I don't know how old Morgan was but obviously Dr. Brown felt he had whatever it would take to be good at whatever that organization needed. Morgan wanted to be a spy .... he spoke Russian, gee it doesn't take the handwriting on the wall, especially in 1964.

I have asked myself what the kid would have shown Dr. Brown to make such an impression and I keep going back to that chapter you wrote at Ashlawn where Morgan saw the "fan" for the first time. It wasn't the fan that raced his mind really, I don't think, it was the communications system. The just about a year later Dr. Brown introduces him to this Mr. X, who as STephenson was coordinating alot of secret communications. His history reads like a whos who of early covert operations. They called Stephenson a "spymaster" and even his detractors agreed on that.

So this is getting more than just interesting now. Besides getting something that I can really get my teeth into ..... Stephenson in 1964 I believe was running a company which had offices in Nassau and Jamaica. Obstensively it was to redevelop poorer countries, create trade and opportunities ..... but apparently even in semi-retirement he still had important visitors from even this government asking intelligence questions. Apparently he was still running quite a network. And now that you have presented some of your material I can see that a long term relationship such as he and Brown had would not have been out of the ordinary for him. Still amazed how completely under the radar he was able to operate. Still, shouldn't surprise me .... No one was talking about Dr. Brown that much either.

So .... looking at questions asked earlier. Who did Mr. Twigsnapper actually work for during the fifties ... was it Stephenson? I am sure he had what STephenson was looking for in an "agent" .... but to me ... Dr. Brown still sort of strikes me, in this tough crowd, as the kid searching for his decoder ring. Mark C.
Dr. Jordan
Space Cadet

New to this

Post by Dr. Jordan »

My hunch is that Paul's version of "Doc" Brown is going to blow our socks off when he's done. I do my best work late at night, and I don't think I will stay on for very long; however I must say a few things here right now.

I've been reading the chapter highlights (that's the terminology we use in the medical field) and I must say I am very impressed (Not with the grammar and punctuation). Paul, you have stayed on form, you have not sensationalized any of this and I must commend you. When one publishes in the medical/(science) field the accuracy of the data and infallibility of the study design is an absolute imperative for the author(s). You have, so far, crafted a very well written and well thought out piece of literature.

Looking forward to reading the story in its entirety.

Mark C., your original comment re: the Cheltenham experience and the proximity of the GCHQ was very insightful. That was my first thought as well. If you re-read some of the other chapters, you will see what Paul didn't write about Mr. X and his continued relationship with Dr. B.

Victoria, I absolutely agree with you; a great love story definitely supercedes a super spy novel. But the way Paul is putting the story together will make for a lot of fun reading! :roll:

Mr. Twiggsnapper (is it?) is an enigma; I would love to hear about your "other" lifetime experiences - if you can share some of it without revealing too much about yourself. I have an almost normal 9 to 5. I should love to live vicariously through you :D

when I have time, I will write a bit less, but definitely more coherently and definitely more about the issue of "Little Green Men"

Rain's almost gone... and I'm cross-eyed. Going to bed now.
iamnotbutiknowIAM
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

welcome wagon

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Dr. Jordan

I guess that I am just one of the welcome wagons that you will be running into. Its good to see another posting, fresh name, different point of view.

Since you are a " Dr." I am assuming that you already know that when we all refer to "Mister" Brown as "Doctor" Brown we are doing that as a personal sign of respect to him and in no way intend to promote the idea that he had earned his Doctorate. That first said so that no one with a Doctorate needs to feel in anyway slighted. Respect placed where respect is due.

Little green men you say. hum ..... says the little reef fish circling a wiggly thing ..... now .... just where is that going to lead me .... if I get just a little closer?

Hey, Elizabeth has encouraged us all to spread our wings on these posts and since we do not have to be as careful in our presentation as Paul is having to be in the book we can speak about "little green men" all we want. I am all ears.

Mark C.
Neenie
Space Cadet

Twigsnapper & painting

Post by Neenie »

Greetings Twigsnapper, Mentioned to Patrick about you painting that avocado green for Dr. Brown. He said you probably heard the phrase, “I’ll have my men do it.â€
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

sun bathing

Post by twigsnapper »

Neenie,

Ah, compliments! Thankyou girls! I have to admit. When that picture was taken I did think I was quite the ladies man. I was living in an exciting time and was enjoying it and I guess the attitude comes across.

And, laughing ....Dr. Brown had a knack for finding the most unusual places to "sunbathe " ... which was his code for ...." out there in the altogethers and anybody who wanted to disturb me had better knock or yoohoo real loud first." I personally know one incident where three generals were seen "yoohooing" all over some beach sand dunes. Actually, pretty funny sight. You just had to smile. And yes .... I have heard that "I'll have my men tend to it" phrase. It was an honor. Twigsnapper
Martin Calloway
Junior Birdman

little green men?

Post by Martin Calloway »

Dr. Jordan,

"Little Green men?" Are we going to go spinning off into space with this direction? Because I sorta like the solid ground that Paul is trying to present. Its where I think this story of Townsend Brown needs to stay. He has been discredited all these years by being connected to wierd stuff.

And his association with "little green men?" is what precisely? And we should go into this discussion for what reason?

I would like to hear what you might have to say but I just want also to maintain the focus that Paul has encouraged all along. I know that you can see that.

Still, you seem interested in sharing your thoughts about this subject and Elizabeth keeps stressing that this forum is where we can take wing to our thoughts . So , understand my wariness please but the question is still held out there . Little Green Men? Martin
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Nibble, nibble

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Dr. Jordan, Martin , all others,

For some reason when I see that reference to "little green men" I still get that vision of a wiggly thing in the sand being approached by a bright little reef fish. Hum ..... is this ........ something tasty and easily digested?

Or .... I swim around and look warily ..... is this ..... something attached to a REALLY BIG FISH .... which has plans for my little scaley body ...... or .... is this ..... my fishy mind is straining now ...... is this .... something that would be fun for me to eat .... all the while screwing someone elses intricate experiment? Just what is this? And now with Martins arrival .... there are two of us circling around, looking.

And more later I am sure. Well, there is one thing good about that. If its intending to eat us ..... it can't get all of us ..... but while we are all gathered here, considering this little green men wiggle ...... what else is happening somewhere else. silly fish that we are ....... would we even notice? MARK C
Madison
Space Cadet

bright reef fish

Post by Madison »

Everybody,

Pauls going off on vacation. He has mentioned that he scuba dives so I am guessing that its going to be somewhere warm and sandy,and I'm thinking , DARN!

So I brought out a little enamaled box that I have had for years . Its actually a brightly colored fish that is a container for little treasures. I don't have any treasures in it now but I do love this little fish. And somehow I just felt that it needed to be on my desk. I did this about a week ago and all of a sudden people are talking about reef fish! Thats odd, huh........ a wierd sort of mystical connection I am sure.

So while you are on vacation, probably face to face with the real thing, this little fish and I will wait patiently..... well that is, until we pack our bags and head for Vegas in November.

And with all this inspiration about sand and sun etc. I noticed that both Neenie and Twigsnapper said that Dr. Brown used to "sunbathe". And it struck me suddenly that there is a VERY big difference between the mental images provided and the concept behind it when you use two words ...... "nudist" (which is I think how he was described very early on , or maybe how I translated it .......) to "Sunbather"

I think in the truest sense it must have been very important to Dr. Brown to keep that "connection" to sunlight. He protected his skin with the olive oil, so he must from all accounts have maintained a beautiful tan . But its interesting to me that he was never very far away from water, sand, and sunlight. Just an off the wall observation from "bright fish" and me. Madison
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

bright fish

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

MADISON ...... PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR "BRIGHT FISH" BECAUSE I THINK I HAVE ONE JUST LIKE IT .... AND IT IS WHERE I CAN SEE IT AS I WRITE TOO! HOW ABSOLUTELY TWILIGHT ZONE IS THAT?

My little fish enameled figure is about, lets see ... three inches long, well made , bright orange and white , like Nemo Hes a fat little thing and except for the imbedded rhinestones on his white bands ... hes pretty real looking. I like to hold him in my hand because he seems to just fit right in my palm. Strange that sometimes I just hold this silly little thing because it just feels good doing that. Hes a beautiful little fish. OK, OK ... a bit odd, I know. But he was a gift from a good friend and when I hold that fish I think also of very good times.

And he is also a box in disguise, and I think there is just something neat about him. OK. I am finished with my wierd streak. sorta. The other thing I was going to say is ........ that he sort of reminds me of the essence of what Dr. Brown might have been. If he had chosen to be something else. So I keep the silly thing where I can see it when I write and I think of him.

And I'll just bet that Paul will be thinking of him too ... if he scuba dives ... One of those fish is bound to come right up to him and probably say "Hello There." Elizabeth
Madison
Space Cadet

BRIGHT FISH

Post by Madison »

Elizabeth,

How very wonderful that you have a bright colored fish too!. My fish -box reminds me of rainbow colors in swirls, like the motion of light. I quess you could say that it looks like it wants to fly. And how strange is this .... the first thing that I found today that looked like it belonged inside my fish box was a little gold dragonfly charm. Isn't that interesting!

I know that many have spoken on this forum recently about bright colored fish, and flying fish ... and the views from all sides of the pools ....

Paul, this must mean that you had better look up when you are in the water. Not all fish are below! There are bright colored flying fish and some of them skim the water when getting a better view. Madison
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: BRIGHT FISH

Post by Paul S. »

Madison wrote:Paul, this must mean that you had better look up when you are in the water. Not all fish are below! There are bright colored flying fish and some of them skim the water when getting a better view.
Roger that. I'll try to bring back pictures. Hopefully I don't flood the camera this time.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

bright fish flashing

I just posted a reference to the little story that Dr. Brown told his daughter about "bright colored reef fish" and I see it reflected here in what we have all been talking about. Mark ..... you mentioned I think, that the subject of "little green men" was sort of like a little wiggly something and you were a fish investigating ...... joined by other fish ..... and then Madison and I got into a strange out of the way discussion about little enameled fish that we keep by our computers ..... This is just so wierd.

But as I said in my last post in the (english connections area? I don't even remember where my response was ... hope you guys can find it )..... but this is a recurring theme ... and I have definitely learned when more than a couple of people seem drawn to it .... I have to seriously pay attention to the theme of that discussion.

So I invite all of you bright colored reef fish out there to come look at the strange things that are being talked about here. Like Mark , sometimes I sense that we might be venturing into dangerous waters ..... but ..... all in all ...... like that white Margate that stopped to look at Anne and got its picture taken .... maybe something special will happen! Elizabeth
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

Margate?

Post by Victoria Steele »

Shoot! I didn't even know that a Margate was a fish. Learn something everyday.

Jimmy Buffett is in a new movie (HOOT) and there are supposed to
some new songs in it. I mention that after having that shared experience with another reality over a Buffett song. Don't know why but I just have a feeling that (other than the drinking) Jimmy Buffett and Dr. Brown shareD the same sort of creative spirit.

So, then Paul. You heading for Mrs. Farnsworths funeral after the islands? Now theres a whiplash prospect.

I'll tell you. Reading YOUR ACCOUNT about Townsend Brown has been an experience for me.

I told you I got interested in his work when I watched Mark Bean demonstrate those "tethered flying saucers" at a UFO conference in Laughlin. They just whipped around and around and after his big demonstration of the Tesla Coils and other stuff the crowd didn't pay very much attention to the smaller demonstration. Actually none of them understood what they were seeing. But it hit me. thats why I logged on to the discussion group. I don't know what I expected, but this wasn't it.

And now I am coming to understand that Dr. Brown was barely even interested ineven THAT side of his work. His REAL interest was in communications, but we are talking REALLY SECRET STUFF here, aren't we? Stuff that is still not going to be talked about all that much. Thats why this "secret agent" flavor to his life now. AND THAT FINALLY MAKES SENSE

.... where before, trying to see what he had to do with "The Philadelphia Experiment" just didn't seem to fit. In Bill Moores book, Townsend Browns "section" of the book, (that ODD chapter "FORCE FIELDS OF TOWNSEND BROWN")just stands out like a sore thumb. The rest is such a mish -mash you wonder how it got published.

And then of course I got mad at Moore for writing a book like that and then seemingly leading his reading public on such a merry chase, all the while not caring a rip about them (if there is any doubt go back to the letter that he wrote in response to Pauls questions )

But now that this new information has surfaced people will be able to look back over what has been written about Townsend Brown with fresh eyes and maybe after that fresh viewpoint takes hold, people will be able to see what was actually going on.

Thats what I see happening and thats even as exciting as trying to figure out what Morgan is going to do next. (for those of you who are late to this party. I just particularly like this character Paul calls "Morgan". I like it when a man can admit, as he did to Paul, "I was a bit of a jerk") ........ Victoria
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Chestnut hair

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Victoria,

I went back to the chapter where Paul introduces Morgan for the first time. And I noted that (I guess) Linda described him as having "chestnut" hair, which is sort of a horsemans term for reddish -brown, trust me. Old Dad is getting accustomed to horse terms.

So I read that chapter again just recently after learning about the Jedburgh teams and my Dad and all that and I thought how very wierd it has been. I have been lucky enough to be familiar with the grounds of Great Valley High school . I think I have already told you all that I was there once and that my wife grew up in the immediate area, so with that kind of connection I tried to imagine what it was like for those two young people, Linda and Morgan, meeting in that school when it was brand new.

( First time I visited I was even able to walk past her lovely home, though at the time I didn't have the same reference. It was only later that Paul posted that chapter and I went .... duh .... I KNOW that place.) Anyway, strange connections abound.

Linda may be sad to know that they have discontinued what was once the "senior couryard" (you can see it at the end of the last picture Paul must have taken of the hallway of the school (That courtyard, I understand, was a very priviledged place to meet friends under the cherry blossoms.) Gone now and a classroom. Not half as much fun I am sure the students would say.

Reading this book has stimulated an interesting mental process. Now, of course, I want to see where the future will take Linda and Morgan. It all seems so very real to me, because I have walked their path.

And now with learning that my father was somehow involved, even very remotely, with anything that Townsend Brown was doing .......... well, it just gets more and more odd. But I sure am enjoying the experience!

I am addressing this to Morgan. Not long ago I visited the school again and some tall kid with "chestnut " hair pushed past me ... said ..."excuse me sir" very politely, and I was struck with the thought that he might have looked very much the way you did in 1963. I just stood there in that hallway and got sort of lost in time and of course I thought about his future ..... and what yours was .......... It was just an odd moment. You seem to have won Pauls utmost respect. So, as a teacher, I hope that other kid does as well.

And kid, if you happen to be reading this and remember spinning that fellow in the tweed jacket halfway around . Then I invite you to join us here. This is a magical mystery tour .... (you are too young to recognize that phrase, but trust me ... thats what this is.) Mark C.
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

coming full circle

Mark C.

I just wanted you to know how very much I appreciate your thoughts and the sharing of your experiences. Magical Mystery tour indeed.

The thought struck me recently that each of us exposed to the story of Townsend Brown (and its continuing development) have been going through sort of a deep and basic change. Its as if we have all come nearly full circle somehow and now recognize that we are in a different place.

Hard to explain myself. (I am pleased that Paul is the writer and all I have to do is research.) But do you feel it too? Almost as each of us has followed some sort of spiral upward. Does that make sense to you? I have seen it myself in my own life. Questions of a highly personal nature being answered, because somehow we have been given the "sight" to ask the right questions. Does that make sense to anybody?

Anyway, thank you all for our enthusiasm and support for the work Paul has done. I think he will be posting something for us all on Thursday and then he has a few days to pay his respects to a grand lady but I know that she would encourage him to continue on his quest. So watch out for the following week.

I admit to taking a bit of a break too, but from the lovely comments on the forum the impulsion forward is still there. And I am just like all of you. I may know some of the information ahead of time, but the surprises are the wondrous part of all of this. Thanks again everybody out there .

And PLEASE ....... to those of you who are reading these posts and maybe thinking "Yeah, but .... I have nothing to add" I encourage you! If a thought hits your mind PLEASEOHPLEASEOH! Register and then jump into whatever pool looks inviting! Don't discount your thoughts before you have shared them, please! We value each and every one of those spur of the moment thoughts and you just never know where one of those thoughts might lead! Elizabeth