Images from Catalina

The website is all about his life and work; here, let us focus on defining and celebrating his outstanding personal qualities.
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Images from Catalina

Post by Paul S. »

I also noted that yesterday was Dr. Brown's 101st birthday. I kept my thoughts mostly to myself during the day and regret now that I didn't think to at least post a notice to the "blog" portion of the site, or mention it in the e-mail.

As penance for my oversight, and since we're talking about Catalina, I'd like to offer some images from the visit I made to the Avalon Cemetery in 2003:

1: The stone bench beside Townsend Brown's grave: https://www.ttbrown.com/images/catalina1.jpg
-- it seems he was expecting visitors and, being the considerate man he always was, wanted to make sure they had a place to sit;

2: Townsend Brown's grave marker:
https://www.ttbrown.com/images/catalina2.jpg
-- you'll note there is room for another name, and hopefully that will be corrected some day;

3: A placque on the wall of the cemetery,
https://www.ttbrown.com/images/catalina3.jpg
-- with a quotation from Tennyson's "Idylls of the King," his epic poem about Arthur, entirely appropriate for a cemetery on the Isle of Avalon.

Happy Birthday, Dr. Brown. I am envious of those who actually knew ye.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Why Catalina?

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Paul,

You know I have been fascinated by how much this family moved in their life and now you have provided me with the comforting thought that Mr. Brown finally found a place he loved enough to choose to be buried there. Thoughtful enough to consider a bench for whomever would visit the island cemetary where he was put to rest ...

But I had the question? What brought him to Catalina? And I notice that George mentioned that he was pleased when his grandchildren visited so was he fortuneate enough to have his entire family together for a span of time? Nice to know that this "rolling stone" found a place to rest.

And I have spent a couple of summers on Catalina. Snorkled and hiked. Its a place of rare beauty and I am pleased that he found it. I wished that I had known he was there. I would have enjoyed meeting him too. Mark
Martin Calloway
Junior Birdman

fire on Catalina

Post by Martin Calloway »

Strange to see flames looming over Dr. Browns favorite spot. I wondered if any of the extended Brown family are still living there? How are they doing, if so? Anybody know? Martin
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Catalina fire

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Hi Martin,

I understand that at the moment the town is secure from the flames but I watched the news last night and it was pretty spectacular being able to see the flames coming down the hill behind the town.

I remember that you were familiar with the town. The fire apparently tried to come down the Canyon where the Bird Park Aviary was ... or relatively close. But from the looks of it today they turned it back well and it has continued outside of town. One thing about Catalina, no place for a fire to go really and I think that the standard thing is to protect structures, other than that it can burn until it hits water.

Dr. Brown of course chose to be buried there on the island but no other immediate family members still reside on Catalina. Still, I am sure that they consider it HOME. I believe that the Island held Dr. Brown in one place longer than any other spot. I understand that he returned to it three separate times and always preferred it to his other homes.

I noted too that the news said that Catalina has only gotten two inches of rain for the entire year, so I agree with others in Calfornia. Its going to be a VERY long fire season.

Elizabeth
Trickfox
The Magician

About Avalon

Post by Trickfox »

Here is a song about Dr. Brown's Island town.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f837T8x0 ... re=related
Kim
Space Cadet

Re: Images from Catalina

Post by Kim »

I really didn't know where to post this, whether here or in the questions answered thread. Well, I don't know why I chose here, it just seemed right to me.

I was looking at the pictures that Paul posted of Dr. Browns grave site and it just made me sad. In reading so much, one thing struck me, that was how Josephine was always there, always with him, wherever the move led her and her family.

So my question is, when will Josephine join him at his last and final move? I know it seems a silly question but when I looked at his stone and saw just his name with a space for hers, it just seemed so very sad.

If this has been addressed before then forgive me, I just thought this important now, maybe just for me, but important none-the-less.

Kim
What we take time to dream, do we dare make reality?
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

Kim,

A thoughtful and sensitive question that deserves an answer.

When Mom was dying her wish was that I keep her ashes with us until it was time for her to join Dad. She just wasn't ready to go back to the island at that point and I have felt strangely that it still isn't time.

Strange to say this but I think that once Pauls book is out there .... perhaps then ... it will be alright to take her back to be with Dad. She would say to me, shaking her head sometime...." I could write a book!".... and so in a way ... if I were to have an agenda in all of this ... part of it is seeing that Moms BOOK is written. As much as we can tell of it now anyway. .... and I know then Mom and her little teapot will have a final resting spot.

Thank you for asking Kim. Linda
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Git 'er Done!

Post by Paul S. »

Linda Brown wrote: Strange to say this but I think that once Pauls book is out there .... perhaps then ... it will be alright to take her back to be with Dad. She would say to me, shaking her head sometime...." I could write a book!".... and so in a way ... if I were to have an agenda in all of this ... part of it is seeing that Moms BOOK is written. As much as we can tell of it now anyway. .... and I know then Mom and her little teapot will have a final resting spot.
I am touched by all the sentiments expressed here. I've had this conversation with Linda, made the same observations Kim has made about the empty spot on the grave marker. But you know, when you're talking eternity, what's a few years or even decades?

A ceremony on Catalina after the book is released. Sounds tempting. Inspiring, even.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Kim
Space Cadet

Post by Kim »

As I sit here and shake the sleep from my head, something Mikado said to me finally is making sense. He said that one day I would understand more of what I see. I believe he is right. Tonight something has become a little clearer to me. (I can usually talk to Mikado about what is going on but tonight he is home and I am not.)
Tonight, I saw sadness in the face that is becoming clearer to me. I wish I knew why but I don't.

Thank you Linda, for your answer. And Paul, yes, a ceremony would be due at that time.
What we take time to dream, do we dare make reality?
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

Paul and Kim,

I know that the two of you have never met. But I think that you have friends in common ... besides me.

A shivering .... and then a warmth .... and I see it too, Thank you both. Linda