Chapter 22 - Closing Ashlawn

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Chapter 22 - Closing Ashlawn

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Well, if you guys find a whole discussion of mine floating around here I somehow lost it between there and here so I will start fresh.

Talking about Chapter 22. I noticed that on the comments side Jennifer put the message in there " How could they move and not tell their daughter" and that sort of resonated with me. Indeed. How could they move and not even tell her they were planning to leave?

But Jennifer, jump in my shoes when I was growing up. We never knew we were moving until we were practically there. My brother used to get mad and talk about "running away from home" ... and I was going to join him! ... but we both had the lingering fear that "home" wouldn't be there if we decided to return. Nobody but other military kids would understand. And we were worse than most because generally you can talk about your next transfer. With us, there was never any talk. We were there. Then we were gone.

But we even as we moved more and more my Mom never knew why. Maybe she just got tired of asking and not getting answers and they divorced. THEN we stayed in one place. But my brother and I lost the company of our Dad .

So, I get the impression that the Browns somehow just wanted to be together and that being together was more important than being apart. Given the choices. So maybe Linda just learned to make the choice. Answers to the questions? or the company of her Dad? Mark
Martin Calloway
Junior Birdman

lean and dour Charles

Post by Martin Calloway »

Paul,

You introduce the character of "Charles" as being "lean and wiry, countenance dour and unrevealing" and the inference is that he somehow took on a two year assignment.

Now I don't know very much about secret service guys, but he sure sounds like one. They have a reputation for having a guarded nature. Which I could understand, if he was "assigned" to the family. But that begs the question. Why? What were they doing there in Pennsylvania, out in the country .. that would be so dangerous?

and you leave him packing up the house but he apparently still has to take things to California ..under Dr. Browns direction.. But why is that? The Browns were going to Florida. Why would Dr. Brown send his desk and filing cabinet and even his drafting table ... to CALIFORNIA? That makes no sense. Paul?
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Agent Chuck Miller?????

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Paul and others,

I have no idea if there is a connection here. I am just following that thread of "odd" that Elizabeth mentions in her posts and I thought I should explain how I followed this thread , if I even can.

You know I am a teacher. And for years I have enjoyed the work of Terry Deary. He writes mainly childrens history stories with sort of a strange irreverent twist. It makes history alot more fun to read when you can tackle something called "Rotten Romans". So to set the stage, I have been familiar with his work . (He is also blessed by a daughter who loves horses and I am the same so I have always expected that he and I have spent a fair amount of time paying hay bills and pushing wheel barrows)

Not that has much to do with anything, other than the fact when I hit this particular Chapter I really thought that Dr. Brown was a special person for seeing and honoring that love of horses in his daughter. And he put it into action by letting her go to a school which offered a major in "Equitation" (yes folks, trust me, thats what they call it.) To make a long story short...

I got curious about this man called "Charles Miller". Paul introduced him as someone who had come to live with the Browns so I automatically considered him some sort of "secret agent man" . So ... I typed up "Agent Chuck Miller Townsend Brown" I can't explain why I chose to change it to "Chuck" other than when I typed in those words it just felt better.

Well.well, well ... Look what came up ... there are apparently three references for a "Agent Chuck Miller" in a book authored by Terry Deary called (hold on folks) ...... VANISHED (CLASSIFIED) .... and just guess what its about. The Philadelphia Experiment. I will leave it at that. You guys do some looking on your own. I have just discovered that the magic isn't in the finding ... its in the looking. Mark
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Ashlawn

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Hello everybody,

Just following up on some detail work for Paul .. trying to find out more about the lovely home where the Browns lived in 1964.

I contacted a very nice gentleman who seems to be close to that home and he volunteered some interesting information about the estate being once owned by a past president of the Pennsylvania RR. I'll get back to you with more detailed information soon.

I have invited Mr. Baker to join us here on this forum and I certainly hope that he will. He stated that he is very interested in inventions and so he (also being a patent attorney) might be able to shed some interesting light on some of the mysteries that surround the story of Townsend Brown.

Mr. Baker ... if you happen to be reading this I will follow up on those photos I promised you .... thankyou for your time today! Elizabeth