It's a small world after all.

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Moldova
Space Cadet

Re: have and have not?

Post by Moldova »

grinder wrote:Which I found full of irony considering the little comments that have flashed back and forth. I had thought that St. Nicolas was totally restricted airspace but apparently this flight originated there. Not going any further with this thats for sure other than ask ... so whats happening at St. Nicolas Island? grinder
That may be what Martin may have alluded too with this little note the other day, but only speculation on my behalf.
And a side message to Mr. Twigsnapper. When landing Sir you are supposed to keep all of your landing gears down. Bentfeather would have loved that ! Can't take you anyplace.
:wink:
To quote the last famous words of Socrates... "I drank what?!"
grinder
Senior Officer

so maybe we should look

Post by grinder »

You know, I am getting sort of accustomed to the way these guys play this game and it does seem a bit of a game. Sliding those messages to each other and then holding their breath sort of to see if we even catch on. So yeah for our team.

Back to " originated from St. Nicholas" and our attention has been drawn to that through circumstance for sure. I am sure that wasn't staged but became a useful vehicle for comment. Which takes us right back to St. Nicolas. Whats the history of THAT place and maybe we should ask ... what was happening there in 1973-1974?

Any Catalina Islanders out there reading this? Anybody comment? and Slick, have you remembered anything else? I have a feeling this is one of those " brainstorming" projects where what counts is to just throw everything up in the air at the same time and just see what hits the ground the right way. I'll tell you, I would have never thought that the Glomar Explorer would have even been mentioned, much less sort of seriously looked at. keeps you on your toes around here.

What would I ask a man who knew the Glomar from keel to champagne? I don't even have a question! Now I can see the problem Paul faces. You not only have to have the person to ask ... you have to have a damned question! grinder
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: how did he know you knew?

Post by Mikado14 »

grinder wrote:Mikado.

How did Mr. Twigsnapper KNOW that you would know that particular man, or did you look him up after he mentioned your name when he sent that message out on the forum?

viewtopic.php?p=8009#8009

See thats the kind of interconnectiveness that just boggles me. grinder
grinder,

I attempted to write an answer several times. However, he can answer if he so chooses, otherwise, just sometimes,...........

.....things are left well enough alone.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: so maybe we should look

Post by Mikado14 »

grinder wrote:What would I ask a man who knew the Glomar from keel to champagne? I don't even have a question! Now I can see the problem Paul faces. You not only have to have the person to ask ... you have to have a damned question! grinder
My dear old friend grinder, what's it been now, a year? Perhaps you are too focused on the "what happened in 1974" when you should be thinking April of 1968 and what caused a Diesel-Electric sub to go down.

Mikado

PS: The History Channel or it may have been Discovery had a very good program on about a year or two ago on the retrieval of the sub. It even had a good amount of film taken.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

not either or

Post by Victoria Steele »

Just maybe BOTH dates are important for us to note. Remembering to avoid the either/or trap? So I am keeping my eyes on 1968 AND 1973 .... there has to be a connection here somewhere or am I just wishful thinking,?Victoria
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: not either or

Post by Mikado14 »

Victoria Steele wrote:Just maybe BOTH dates are important for us to note. Remembering to avoid the either/or trap? So I am keeping my eyes on 1968 AND 1973 .... there has to be a connection here somewhere or am I just wishful thinking,?Victoria
Maybe and just maybe not. I believe our beloved Mr. Twigsnapper made a reference about the people in Hawaii waking on a certain morning. I believe he didn't go any further with a comment until the Glomar was mentioned, hell , I could be wrong, we are talking my memory here. <g>

But let's just look at this. How much you wanna bet that Mr. Hughes was Caroline just a wee bit and perhaps that is what Mr. Twigsnapper wants us to go.

Hey, I am just grabbing that from a phantom I chased down in the woods tonight.

Mikado
SLicK-G
Space Cadet

Up Periscope

Post by SLicK-G »

Does the name USS Pollack (SSN-603) ring a bell? That was one of the submarines that visited Catalina. It was there in July of 1977. I came across it during one of my google adventures.

Slick
Down Periscope
SLicK-G
Space Cadet

Smoke is coming out of my ears!!!

Post by SLicK-G »

Where should I start? The Nimitz or the Kursk? You tell me.

Slick
Anyone have any oil for the gears?
grinder
Senior Officer

The USS Pollack

Post by grinder »

Right you are there Slick though so far the name doesn't ring a bell with any of the paperwork I have regarding the visit. But I did find this comment along with the confirmation that she was indeed anchored off Avalon in July of 1977. this was an interesting comment

"Most of POLLACK'S operations, and all significant ones, are classified. However, her accomplishments are well known to the Chief of Naval Operations and to the Commander in Chief, U. S. Atlantic Fleet"

Apparently during her long career she only visited the island once.

http://aboutsubs.com/pollack.htm

I have no idea if she was our mystery sub. but the time is about right. Thanks Slick. Elizabeth can you help out here some more? grinder
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Hello Slick

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Slick,

I can't remember if I have welcomed you and Moldova to the forum. I meant to if I haven't. I have been hauling my darling daughter to some local ( but she claims, EXTREMELY important )shows so I have barely kept up.

Since you were a riding student of Linda Browns I thought that you might appreciate seeing ( if you haven't already read it) this thread of messages called the " White Pony discussion group."

viewtopic.php?t=292

I don't remember how it came to be called that but I am sure that you will appreciate some of the things said and there is a ( as my daughter would say) " Way Cool" picture of Linda on a horse at a show in Buena Vista, Va ... or maybe its Lexington, not sure

Anyway, enjoy the thread. And don't be confused when you start reading messages from my name ...... its actually Lisa sitting in and taking over. Maybe you will see some of the same teaching techniques! Lisa has done very well with her horse. Hoping to do well again this weekend. Blinker is doing great and dear Dad is still pushing the manure barrow around and smells of absorbine Jr. But I am sure that your family was just as proud of you as I am of my daughter.

She wants to hear more about Lindas horses/ horse/ whtever. Can you tell us more? Mark C.
SLicK-G
Space Cadet

Grind, whine, crack, crunch, grind, SMOKE!!!!

Post by SLicK-G »

Well, take a look at this little google I came across. Sounds like we've met the Russians underwater on more than one occassion. I was searching for the submarines that visited Catalina, when I came across this one, the "Kursk". And on goes the conversation with the Cheshire Cat and Hawaii. Who knows. This is all speculations. I don't even know how I got to this little video. Here is the link I found http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=6, on my little excursion.

Now about the Nimitz. I am beginning to hate this statement. "How small can this world get." My brother was stationed on the USS Nimitz. He is in the Navy, has been for the last 17 years. I'm not sure how he did it, but he has achieved the rank of E9. I believe that is Master Chief. I don't know all that much about the ranking in the Navy as much as I do in the Marines (thanks to Linda and her family). He has been assigned to 4 different ships that I know of, the USS Nimitz, USS Essex (the tender) and the USS Cape Cod. I don't know what the other ship was named. We went our different ways when my mom died. She pretty much kept me up on what was going on when she was alive. The ship I don't remember is the one he was stationed on prior to his departure for Italy for 3 years. He never would talk about his work, only to say, "if I told you, I'd have to kill you". I thought it was all a joke, but guess not. I do know that he worked on Coronado Island with the Seals, but that is all. Man, I have a very secretive family. Not sure if I like this. Anyway. He was on the Cape Cod when the Nimitz or the Essex that was hit by a Exocet Missle in the Gulf. And that was in between our little ho downs with the Iraqi people. But while on the Cape Cod he had to fix the ship that was injured, as I call it. He even showed a picture of him standing in the hole that was created. Considering he is 6'+ a few inches, he had his hands over his head holding on to the top of the hole. This was all kept quiet for a time. We found out much after the fact. I'm still not even sure all what was said or who knows what.

Now guys. Stop bringing things up that relate to me some how or another. You will start thinking that I'm making this all up.

For now I will keep on my google searches. You never know what you'll find. Still looking for the second sub that payed a little visit to a rock in the Pacific. I hope this brings more things to the surface. I'm tired, my gears are all worn, and need to be changed and oiled. So will see all tomorrow, I hope. Don't let the smile dissappear.

Slick
Out for repairs
SLicK-G
Space Cadet

take a look

Post by SLicK-G »

Mark. Thank you for the welcome. Just to let you know, I sent a reply on the "White Pony Discussion Group"

viewtopic.php?t=292

Slick
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

all just part of it.

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Slick,

Having mysterious families Slick, I am beginning to think is just part of the overall drill. Remember what was said about a " multigenerational project?" Funny thing is ..... sometimes only SOME of the people in that family know what is going on.

Great work. cool your gears now. Theres more ahead of us I think!

I tried that last link you mentioned above but for some reason it does not go through. Can you double check it . Either that or someone is messing with our minds again ... or its something else! A thousand choices remember, no either /ors.

I followed up on the USS Pollack (SSN 603) That number is important because there was an earlier Pollack and its easy to confuse them.
The thing that struck me was:
She was launched the year after the leader in that class of boat went down ( the Thresher on April 10, 1963)

When the Pollack was launched the man who gave the main speach was an educator by the name of Dr. Gaylord P. Hrnell.... who was the President of the University of Pa at the time. ding, ding , ding goes my faint bell. He apparently was notable for his work in physics and accoustics. hmmmmmm thought I.

But so far thats just that, Nothing more. I noted that this sub was launched in 1964 which was the same year that the Browns were living outside Philadelphia in that gracious old estate called " Ashlawn"

Many have wondered why Dr. Brown picked that spot. And of course I remember the meeting that he and his daughter had with someone from the Electrical Department at that University. "Oh! You are Townsend Browns daughter!" the man had said with such high expectation! Linda was there with her Dad to investigate that college. She cried on the way home knowing that she could never somehow " fit in her Dads shoes" so thats how she ended up at Southern Seminary, learning to teach kids how to ride. Frankly , personally, meeting you I am REALLY happy that she made that choice. But as far as the story goes. There is still that super thin coincidental(?) connection!

Elizabeth
Moldova
Space Cadet

Broken URL

Post by Moldova »

To get the URL in Slicks post to work you must copy and paste it into the browser window.

Also reattaching here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=6 to see if possibly the link was fouled.

M
Moldova
Space Cadet

As if under attack...

Post by Moldova »

What I find most interesting in this video is a quote... "as if under attack by an unidentified vessel..." Could our "Cheshire" still be smiling?

Another very interesting point... This sub was also recovered sans... you guessed it... the bow. So why do the k-129 and the K-141 both seem to be recovered without the bow. Could it be that maybe they were filched before the ships could be lifted.