Chapter 26 Submarine Duty S48

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
grinder
Senior Officer

How ironic? Is it?

Post by grinder »

Anyway, I just found this . ( This is FUN!)

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/1319/

In September, 1963, fresh out of the shipyard, found CUTLASS was operating as an aggressor submarine in an Anti-Submarine Warfare exercise with aircraft. The CUTLASS out-smarted the aircraft by using six empty five-gallon cans and two radar reflectors from a life raft. Small holes were punched in the cans so that they would float all night and then sink at daylight. Each radar reflector was attached to the three cans. The first set of cans was set adrift in the current, while the CUTLASS moved off to a different location, and then- the second set was cast adrift. The cans gave the aircraft the impression of a submarine's head valve when snorkeling on their radar. The sets in concert gave the impression that the CUTLASS was snorkeling in a zig-zag pattern. The aircraft made the mistake of waiting for daylight to make their "KILL" on the phantom submarine because when the cans sank at daylight, their contact had vanished. Meanwhile, CUTLASS had moved off into 'a different area completely undetected. Under the command of Commander J.D. Reilly, CUTLASS was authorized by the Chief of Naval Operations to establish a Ham Radio Station on board. The operator was none other than the CO himself. The call sign was W4NMK "Submerged Maritime Mobile".

Uh, am I reading WAY too much into this? Probably but is the name of the "Commander J. D. Reilly" sound strange at all to anybody! And she was "authorized" to have a Ham Radio station on board .... with the Comanding Officer himself as the operator! WHAT????? grinder
grinder
Senior Officer

special forces?????

Post by grinder »

And further on down the line, still keeping an eye on both Dr. Brown and the Cutlass.

CUTLASS entered the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard from late June, 1966, until November, 1966. After the yard-period, she returned to Norfolk to operate locally for the remainder of the year. CUTLASS again sailed south in April, 1967, until returning to Norfolk in June, 1967. On this cruise she operated out of San Juan, Puerto Rico, providing target services for sonar calibrations for the U.S.S. POLLACK SSN 603, U.S.S. HADDO SSN 604, and U.S.S. TINOSA SSN 606. She also acted as the target for a SUBROC exercise. During this same period she was awarded the Fire Control "E". From June, 1967, CUTLASS operated locally conducting weapons tests, conducted a successful mine plant, and landed a special operations group (SEALS) in an exercise

What? SPECIAL OPERATIONS GROUP? Something that Morgan might have been involved in maybe? but thats a year later ...... OK? I think I already know that Dr. Brown was in Philadelphia just a few miles away during that summer. But I don't know how long they stayed (other than the fact that its been already mentioned before that the next year Linda, Josephine and Dr. Brown were in Santa Monica California. So one wonders ... maybe I just found where Morgan was????................. grinder
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

floating cans

Post by Victoria Steele »

Floating cans, designed to disappear when they have served their purpose? Thats flipping brilliant.

And in its brilliance I see the same kind of operation maybe that Dr. Brown could have been involved in. The object would for him have been to protect the true nature of his work ( represented here by the sub) by some sort of " shield" of disinformation. And perhaps thats what the entire "Philadelphia Experiment" story has been.

Maybe there WAS a Philadelphia Experiment but I have the feeling that the one that William Moore wrote might just have been a can set adrift with holes in it. Wanna Bet? Victoria
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: floating cans

Post by Mikado14 »

Victoria Steele wrote: Maybe there WAS a Philadelphia Experiment but I have the feeling that the one that William Moore wrote might just have been a can set adrift with holes in it. Wanna Bet? Victoria
I wouldn't bet against you.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: nibble?

Post by Mikado14 »

Martin Calloway wrote:Mikado,

Is this an event that you plan to attend? Martin
I really intend to if the weather is nice, or at least fair, not too far away, maybe 20mi?. I have a WWII bomb cart that I acquired last fall and I wish to restore it. When I am finished, my hope is to donate it to this group for all to enjoy.

Mikado

PS: the cart still has the original tires that say "tax exempt".
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: tracking a sub and Dr. Brown

Post by Paul S. »

grinder wrote:Lets see she was in the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in March of 1948.
Where was Dr. Brown at the time Paul? If I have to wait for your story to spell it out, I understand , but if you can answer ahead too that would be great!
Well, we know for sure that the Brown FAMILY was in Hawaii, tucked away in a jungle on Kauai. I should be getting to that shortly (when I'm done with the current 1966 section). But, according to Linda, he was not actually there with them all that much.

So, where was he actually? Pearl Harbor is one good guess. But there are probably other good ones as well.
It would make it easier if we knew exactly where DR. Brown was. ??????
Maybe...<g>
I have a feeling that we are going to find correlations here or I don't think Mr. Twigsnapper would have mentioned the sub in the first place.
Mr. T may have reasons for mentioning the Cutlass, and it was he who supplied whatever reference I made to the Cutlass in my Las Vegas presentation.

The pertinent detail in all of this is: The Cutlass was in drydock in Philadelphia during the summer of 1966. And we know pretty well where Dr. Brown was during most of THAT period. He just got there in Chapter 58.

I retrieved the Deck Logs for the Cutlass during the period, though they don't say a whole lot other than "on blocks" in dry dock and undergoing refitting and provisioning. For like two months. Unfortunately I didn't think to retrieve logs for very long before or after her dry dock. I have to go upstairs and open the file again and see what I've got...
And then of course there is the other. What is the link between "Project Rainbow" for the Cutlass and what Bill Moore thought of (or was told) regarding this super secret experiment that was going on .... dubbed " Project Rainbow". Whats happening here? SOMETHING CONNECTED!!!! grinder
One word: "disinformation."

Can you see the forest through the trees, or is the trees through the forest...???

Any of that helpful?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
ladygrady
Junior Birdman

maybe silly question

Post by ladygrady »

Maybe this is just a silly question BUT.

What was it that inspired you to name your character ( the one that we call " Mr. Twigsnapper here on this forum") ORiley? Was that something that you just developed and it just felt right, or is that what he told you thats what his name was?

I find it just really odd that a submarine that Mr. Twigsnapper would tip you off about would have a skipper by such a similar name (Reilly?) Is this another little breadcrumb in your forest with all those trees? Silly of me but the part about him running his own HAM radio on a US Navy vessel? ... that just strikes me as ultimately strange and worth looking at

BUT Definitely shes worth looking at but how much further do you think you will get? This material and information has to be pretty deeply classified. Don't you think? grady
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Secrets, Spies, and Code Names

Post by Paul S. »

ladygrady wrote:BUT Definitely shes worth looking at but how much further do you think you will get? This material and information has to be pretty deeply classified. Don't you think?
Actually, I think it's more than "merely classified." It's..... secret.

As I learned from Morgan, "classified" infers stuff that the government knows and suppresses. "Secret" means not even the government knows about it...

As for O'Riley, the name is a fabrication, and I don't really remember now how I settled on that particular moniker, but I do recall discussing a TeeVee series called "Reilly, Ace of Spies" or something like that.. based on the life of one Sidney Reilly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Reilly

...good a role model as any.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

in a world of "secrets"

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

What might "bubble to the surface" in a world of "secrets"?

Bubbles that are allowed to escape perhaps to mark a position? or an event?

And suddenly I am more than just a little bit interested in the comment that in the summer of 1957 The Cutlass was involved in some sort of "Seal Operation".

Now. How do I read that? actually. Taking a BIG leap here ... into weasle wording POSSIBLYThat she was involved in a highly secret operation involving a team of specially trained men ..... to do ...... what ?

The fact that they are identified as "Seals" would have more to do with the writer of that piece just assuming that thats what they were because, what else would they be? And you see thats just the question that maybe we should ask. ( realizing all the time that we might be going down a blind dead end ..... still .... its interesting, this particular rabbit hole).

Remember that Morgan asked Dr. Brown during that one Florida visit if there was a list. That he wanted to be on it , if there was. And Dr. Brown replied positively... "You can be on it if you want to be."

And it seems painfully clear to me that is what is happening here. Morgan has made the move, made the decision and its just a matter of time before he makes the break with Linda.

Big sigh, Victoria and I need to get together so we can sigh in unison! I agree with her. Its like watching an emotional train wreck approaching.

But, sailing the same waters that the S48 did, and the yacht Caroline did ....( now thats strange, ironic, isn't it?)

If Morgan and a "special team" was aboard the Cutlass. With what kind of equipment? Running just what sort of tests? It gives me a sudden chill because now I start remembering all those wild stories of " men buried in bulkheads" on the Eldridge during the "Philadelphia Experiment" that Moore wrote. See where I am going here folks? Have I gone off the deep end? What better place to test strange and new equipment but an area where strange effects have been posted for years? Anybody else out there in the same little boat with me? Elizabeth