Chapter 3 " A bitter pill"

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Chapter 3 " A bitter pill"

Post by Mark Culpepper »

I get to open this chapter for discussion, I hope, unless Victoria is beating me to it as I type!

This is the chapter that prompted me to get involved in the forum. It was the statement from Paul that Townsend Browns daughter had attended "48 different schools'. I just couldn't imagine a student moving that many times and being able to graduate! So that stuck in my head and sparked my interest. I actually E mailed Paul directly, I think, asking about her grades and how she had managed. I believe that I made the statement to him that perhaps Townsend Brown was not the only genius in his family. Now I am convinced that he was not.

I was familiar with the "Moving constantly, don't ask why" lifestyle until suddenly my Mother declared that she had enough and was not going to move all of us again. Dad, I discovered later, had been an "intelligence officer". When he died many years later in Europe my sister and brother and I only found some odd papers and a knife with a note wrapped around the handle. The note was for the three of us, telling us that he loved us and that he was sorry for not being in our lives but what he felt he did was "important". At the time I resented what he said becaus I could not envision that anything could be more important than being with your children as they grew up.

But now, thanks to Mr. Twigsnapper I have gotten a better kind of look at the types of things that my father actually did. And now we are all enormously proud of him and thankful that he was able to be there. For us actually. And for alot of others.

Of course I have more questions about Linda Brown but Paul has made a pretty firm point that we are not going to talk about her personal life now. I did appreciate what she said to him in that chapter " My inclination is to keep things as they are. Pulling myself into the past I know will be difficult and sometimes painful for me. I hope you understand I have reservations about how much help I will be to you ..........."

I hope now that she realizes that those reservations were unfounded. Mark C.
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

quiet time rereading

Post by Victoria Steele »

I think thats why I look forward to weekends so much. I get some quiet time to reread some of the parts of Pauls book and some of the forum responses and I just hit on this one. Which I took as particularly touching and maybe revealing too for the people who are new to this story and how the forum has grown up around it.

So putting it up front. Hi Mark! I thought what you said was really wonderful. How is the research going on your Dads life? Victoria
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Re: Chapter 3 " A bitter pill"

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Mark Culpepper wrote: I was familiar with the "Moving constantly, don't ask why" lifestyle until suddenly my Mother declared that she had enough and was not going to move all of us again. Dad, I discovered later, had been an "intelligence officer". When he died many years later in Europe my sister and brother and I only found some odd papers and a knife with a note wrapped around the handle. The note was for the three of us, telling us that he loved us and that he was sorry for not being in our lives but what he felt he did was "important". At the time I resented what he said becaus I could not envision that anything could be more important than being with your children as they grew up.
So we can't talk about Linda Brown's personal life, but yours sound just as interesting. Could you shed some light on the stories that I am sure would be equally fascinating, and may give Paul some leads?

LindaB
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

interesting perhaps

Post by Mark Culpepper »

LindaB,

The story of a intelligence officers family? Their opinion of what their life was like? Maybe some similarities. I think that Linda Brown and I were close to the same age, within five years maybe. The other day I even wondered if we had ever crossed paths or attended the same schools, prowled the same libraries. I said that was one of the things that we probably had most in common. I love books too and consider them friends. (Thats why I want to see Pauls finished product on the shelves of every highschool in America. Could only be a positive influence.)

We spent some time in Hawaii too, and alot of time in different parts of Virginia. Why I like it here now ..... Alexandria for awhile (George Washington High) how many schools have I been to by that name? ... three or four .... and Thomas Jefferson too. We lived in Key West in the mid sixties for about a month and a half. Then California near Novato, then Florida (near Homestead) again. my head swirled. JUST when I thought I was getting a foothold we were gone again. Thats why I thought her school number was so fantastic. How did she keep track of her locker combinations? Thats what got me! And schedules. I was always having nightmares about being late for a class and then not being able to remember which class, which teacher. And you do become anonymous. Kids don't care all that much about the new kids. It takes some time to get accepted, except just when I was on that edge, we would be gone again.

I asked plenty of questions about why we were moving but that didn't get me any answers so eventually I just accepted that it was what we did. My mother smoked nervously and had a little problem later with drinking .... (oh, she was a social drinker not a stay at home drunk, but even we kids figured things between them were not good.) Then suddenly one day we came home from school and Dad was gone and he never came back. We soon moved to a house we stayed .... well, until we all grew up and moved out. Mom remarried and never spoke of Dad that much. Thats why learning of his death and making the trip , finding the knife, with the message, well, it was important.

My daughter is writing all of this. Someday we will tell you more. And I have much to thank Mr. Twigsnapper for because many doors would have remained closed without his help. And yes! I want to see the "Good Shepherd" too because I think that it has drawn on the story of many of us, Linda Brown included. and it wouldn't be a shock to find out that he had something to do with that film. That fella knows people! <g> Mark C.
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

favorites

Post by twigsnapper »

Have to confess. Matt Damon is a particular favorite. He did capture a Southie you know, well enough, but an early CIA agent? Button down crowd, that. twigsnapper
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Favorites and crossing paths

twigsnapper wrote:Have to confess. Matt Damon is a particular favorite. He did capture a Southie you know, well enough, but an early CIA agent? Button down crowd, that. twigsnapper
Not familiar with that phrase, Button down crowd, that. I must be too young 8)

I have only moved 4 times in my life, but I definitely remember that feeling of being the newbie; outcast. I can't imagine feeling that 48 times or however many times you (Mark) and Linda Brown had to endure it. That's almost like a new school and/or new town every month!
Just reviewing your post again, Mark. Looks like you and Linda may have crossed paths in a number places. Homestead, Hawaii, California, Pennsylvania... whew...

I am starting to see the big picture. The history of the scientist up to the time he has a daughter. Then he has a daughter and is doing post war surveillance/study/research into Cold War activities of our "watch" countries. I suppose at this time there was a lot of branching off of gov't related groups (and non-gov't related). In the midst of this, a love story, a tragedy, seeming abandonment, discreditation that led to the ruin of a reputation.... I can see why Victoria thinks it would make a good movie. IT WOULD!

Yes, Mr. Twigsnapper (and Mark), I like Matt Damon too. I can't wait to see The Good Shepherd. His buddy was good in the time machine movie Paycheck. I hope TGS has as much suspense and plot twists as Paycheck did.

I haven't had much opportunity to watch any movies or TV for that matter.

Have a good week everyone!
LongboardLOVELY
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

not to worry

Post by twigsnapper »

LindaB,

Not to worry. Just referring to the type of shirt most wore then. Sort of the classic spy shirt, turned out. Like putting a flower in your hair, the problem was, sometimes it made them stand out like you did. Eventually guys and ladies from the CIA learned to blend in a little better. But the button down types were a product of their time! twigsnapper
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Re: not to worry

twigsnapper wrote:LindaB,

Not to worry. Just referring to the type of shirt most wore then. Sort of the classic spy shirt, turned out. Like putting a flower in your hair, the problem was, sometimes it made them stand out like you did. Eventually guys and ladies from the CIA learned to blend in a little better. But the button down types were a product of their time! twigsnapper
I see. I understand totally. The point about standing out in a crowd, that's important. I've got to learn to control my temper and be a little bit more yellow mellow :oops: Being able to hid feelings and being able to project a demeanor that is entirely 180 degrees opposite from what's going on inside, well that must be vital in your line of work. If I'm ever to help my husband, I guess I better learn quickly.
Here's something interestin: I have had conversations at work about Brown. Turns out a few people her have heard of him and his work. One person actually referred to him as that physicist interested in time travel. Now where did she get that?
Hm.

LBL
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Coincidence?

Post by Paul S. »

LongboardLOVELY wrote: Here's something interesting: I have had conversations at work about Brown. Turns out a few people here have heard of him and his work. One person actually referred to him as that physicist interested in time travel. Now where did she get that?
Perhaps confusing our Dr. Brown with eminent Dr. Emmet Brown, the mad scientist in the "Back to the Future" movies.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Re: Coincidence?

Paul S. wrote:
LongboardLOVELY wrote: Here's something interesting: I have had conversations at work about Brown. Turns out a few people here have heard of him and his work. One person actually referred to him as that physicist interested in time travel. Now where did she get that?
Perhaps confusing our Dr. Brown with eminent Dr. Emmet Brown, the mad scientist in the "Back to the Future" movies.

--PS
No, she was clearly talking about TTBrown in reference to Time Travel.

Linda
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: Coincidence?

Post by Paul S. »

LongboardLOVELY wrote:
Paul S. wrote:

--PS
No, she was clearly talking about TTBrown in reference to Time Travel.

Linda
Well I'd surely like to know where she got that idea, because near as I can recall, there was never anything published anywhere in which Townsend Brown was reputed to have discussed time travel. Not before Chapter 22 here, anyway.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

time travel and Townsend Brown

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

LindaB,

Next time you get a chance to visit with the source of that information (Brown was involved with Time Travel)) would you please ask him/her if they remember where they first heard that? Perhaps the impression goes as far back as The Philadelphia Experiment.

Theres the other, paranoid reaction! Maybe they said that to ellicit a response from you, already knowing that your husband knows about such things and has a close association with the Townsend Brown story. They might have said that to you just to see what your reaction and response was. I believe they call it "pinging" in the " trade" . Thats what Mr. Twigsnapper has told me anyway. If so , congratulations, Maybe you just popped up on SOMEBODIES radar screen. Elizabeth