Dennison Prep:Doane Academy. Townsend Wuz Here.

Long-time Townsend Brown inquirer Jan Lundquist – aka 'Rose' in The Before Times – has her own substantial archive to share with readers and visitors to this site. This forum is dedicated to the wealth of material she has compiled: her research, her findings, and her speculations.
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame
Spam Prevention: Yes

Dennison Prep:Doane Academy. Townsend Wuz Here.

Post by Jan Lundquist »

DoanePrepschool.jpg
photo by Ben Bower
Doane Academy Building was one of the many gifts from William Howard Doane to Denison University. Most notably, W.H. Doane contributed toward Doane Hall (the original library), Doane Gymnasium (now Doane Dance), and the Doane Academy Building, which led Granville Academy to be named after him.

The building was announced at commencement in 1892 (the same time as Barney Memorial Science Hall) and was completed in 1894. It served as the main building for Doane Academy, a preparatory school deeply connected to Denison’s history right from the beginning. In 1927, Doane Academy was shut down due to dwindling enrollment. Today, the building is known as Doane Academy. It houses many of the offices on campus, including the President, Registrar, and the Mail & Copy Center.
https://exhibits.denisonarchives.org/ex ... oane-admin
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: And here

Post by Jan Lundquist »

Paul Schatzkin
The White Rabbit

Re: Dennison Prep:Doane Academy. Townsend Wuz Here.

Post by Paul Schatzkin »

And here's the 'vintage postcard' image of the Swazey Observatory that I found on the Interwebs and used in the book:
10-SwaseyObservatory.jpg
I don't think it was an all-that-powerful telescope, but one imagines the sky in that vicinity was dark relative to how it appears to day, so there would have been plenty to see out there in The Last Frontier...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, author of 'The Man Who Mastered Gravity' https://amz.run/6afz
It's "a multigenerational project." What's your hurry?
"We will just sail away from the Earth, as easily as this boat pushed away from the dock" - TTB
Jan Lundquist
Keeper of the Flame

Re: Dennison Prep:Doane Academy. Townsend Wuz Here.

Post by Jan Lundquist »

As I have learned from research helium, astronomers were augmenting telescopes with spectrography by then. I don't know if one was available at Denison (sorry for misspelling in the title) had one, or if Townsend brought his own, but around 1929 he would write to Hulbert at the NRL, that he, like Hurlbert, had been studying ultraviolet radiation.