Hiatus

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Hiatus

Post by Paul S. »

If Congress can have an "August recess," well, why can't I?

So, as they like to say in show-biz, I will be "on hiatus" for the rest of the month.

In a recent message, one of my "primary sources" (y'all know who...) tried to prepare me for the tasks that lie ahead:

"Do ou realize that if you had assigned a chapter for every year of Townsend's life, you would only have 38 left -- and look at the ground that you still have to cover.

"It will become strangely obvious that as [Dr. Brown] gets older he also gets more secretive and although you would figure that it would be easier to figure what he was up to, in actuality it will become more difficult. You see, in his case the dead can speak louder than the living."

Over the past couple of weeks, as I have tried to turn the narrative corner of Townsend and Josephine's lives into the 1940s, World War II and beyond, I am discovering just what he means.

I need some time to massage the material I've already compiled, figure out where the story goes from here -- and how I'm gonna get there.

If I can figure all that out, then I'll be able to finish the proposal for prospective publishers. I also have to start thinking about what I'm going to say at that conference in November. Maybe I'll just pass out some Swiss cheese...

I will of course continue to monitor the forums, and will chime in if I have anything pithy to offer.

Otherwise, let's figure to reconvene after Labor Day, all refreshed and renewed.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

swiss cheese buffet

Post by twigsnapper »

I am looking forward to November and also trusting in the fact that no matter how difficult it becomes that there will be more cheese there than holes. Let the others present the holes Paul. as they have in the past. You have the ability to show up with the cheese and thats what I personally expect from you.

Perhaps you have grown tired of being told ...... "you can do this, you can do this."

I have missed much perhaps but I know what some of those meetings can be like. (For me though it was usually on the negative side and from all considerations I don't think thats what your situation has actually been)..so you do not get a whole lot of sympathy from me for being surrounded and beaten up by praise and expectations.

Maybe its the expectation thats troublesome?

Tough.

Twigsnapper
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

You deserve a break today

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

"...at McDonald's"... remember that song?

Well, you do deserve a break. Not just today, but for the next 22 or so days as well.

and I agree with Mr. Twigsnapper - don't worry about the holes. You have more cheese than anyone else has ever discovered. People will be feasting for years on what you've already accomplished.

Get some sleep. I expect you'll need it!

LindaB
oops, I mean
LongboardLOVELY
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

I agree

Post by Victoria Steele »

I agree Linda that Paul probably does need that break and as much sleep as he can muster. I figure he is about halfway through the saga of Townsend Brown and so far it has exceeded my expectations but even Paul says that the story is going to get more and more difficult.

Shoot. Now there is news. Of course he could do what others have done. Say that "Townsend Brown lived on in relative obscurity until his death in 1983" I think that was Nick Cook ...(I know, I KNOW... he got the death date wrong too). but please look it up folks for yourself. Its just interesting to me how some of these writers have just jumped to the end of this mans story .... did they have even half of an idea of how much of a story was actually out there? Probably not.

Anyway, I am just twiddling my thumbs in this empty classroom, waiting for the classes to start up again soon. A little bit premature, but I am known for that. An excess of enthusiasm they used to say, as they pointed to the little red head in the corner.

Just so you know that I am still here. Victoria

Oh, LindaB ..... LongboardLOVELY ?.... now there is an interesting and exotic moniker! Hawaii memories perhaps? My Hawaiian longboard experiences speak more to the rash on my stomach and aching arms from all the paddling! Far from being lovely! Victoria