NOTEPAD for RANDOM IDEAS

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
FM No Static At All
Senior Officer

Re: NOTEPAD for RANDOM IDEAS

Post by FM No Static At All »

twigsnapper wrote:And then there is the listening part.

Remember Linda that you once asked your Father .... what about a microphone?

Anybody know the name of Alexander M. Poniatoff?
twigsnapper
Bio:
Alexander M. Poniatoff:
C) 2005 Labguy's World. Do not use without permission.
Founder of Ampex, created many of the major innovations in commercial recording technology and produced the first US built magnetic audio tape recorder in 1948 revolutionizing the radio industry. After creating the standard for audio recording, Ampex produced the first data instrumentation recorder for storing large amounts of information on tape. In the fifties, Ampex created the first commercial video tape recorder which fundamentally changed the way television programs were staged and produced.

Also of note:
1944 * Alexander M. Poniatoff forms Ampex Corporation to make electric motors for the military.
1946 * Brush Development Corp. builds a semiprofessional tape recorder as its Model BK401 Soundmirror.

Fred a.k.a.
FM - No Static At All
'The only reason some people get lost in thought is because its unfamiliar territory.'

http://fixamerica-fredmars.blogspot.com/
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

Post by Linda Brown »

What a great picture! Thankyou for finding that.

I only met the man once when he came into the lab at GTI with William Lear. My impression is that they had flown in from the San Francisco area on one of Mr. Lears planes, landing at the Santa Monica airport. We went to lunch at a run down little sandwich shop across the street from the lab because Dad didn't want to be away from our work for very long. I got the impression that they all knew each other very well. They asked me how I liked California and the beach and were really quite nice to me and I am sure they had business to discuss but not in my presence.

I remember that Mr. Lear wanted Dad to fly back up to Redwood City with them but Dad later drove instead of flying because I had expressed a very clear worry that something might happen on that flight. I was mistaken but I honestly worried that Mr. Lear would have some sort of heart attack ... his face was always so ruddy that I felt I guess that his blood pressure must have matched. As I said I was wrong.... but Dad was taking no chances and I appreciated that.

I never knew that Mr. Poniatoff had any connection at all with Convair but I sure find that really interesting.

And I have to say. I wonder how many Ampex tape recorders were used by spooks around the world.

And yes, I do find it odd that the microphone ( which is totally feasible development) has never , ever been mentioned. Spook city here folks.

I know I am right Mr. Twigsnapper and I appreciate the nod. Linda
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

Post by twigsnapper »

"My child, do not despair. Do you think we would have brought you here if there were no hope? We are asking you to do a difficult thing, but we are confident that you can do it. Your father needs help, he needs courage, and for his children he may be able to do what he cannot do for himself."

An appropriate quote from " A Wrinkle in Time" twigsnapper
htmagic
Senior Officer

Re: NOTEPAD for RANDOM IDEAS - Cosmic Ghost?

Post by htmagic »

Check this out...
http://news.aol.com/news_portal/article/sky-watcher-spies-gassy-cosmic-ghost/119539 wrote:Sky Watcher Spies Gassy 'Cosmic Ghost'
Reuters
posted: 5 HOURS 10 MINUTES AGO
filed under: Science News

CHICAGO (Aug. 5) - A Dutch primary school teacher and amateur astronomer has discovered what some are calling a "cosmic ghost," a strange, gaseous object with a hole in the middle that may represent a new class of astronomical object.
The teacher, Hanny van Arkel, discovered the object while volunteering in the Galaxy Zoo project, which enlists the help of members of the public to classify galaxies online.

The green object above was first spotted by Hanny van Arkel, a Dutch teacher and amateur astronomer. What is it? Scientists aren't sure, but it consists of gas and contains no stars. "What we saw was really a mystery," said Kevin Schawinski, an astrophysicist at Yale University. Some have called it a "cosmic ghost."

The green object above was first spotted by Hanny van Arkel, a Dutch teacher and amateur astronomer. What is it? Scientists aren't sure, but it consists of gas and contains no stars. "What we saw was really a mystery," said Kevin Schawinski, an astrophysicist at Yale University. Some have called it a "cosmic ghost."

"At first, we had no idea what it was. It could have been in our solar system, or at the edge of the universe," Yale University astrophysicist Kevin Schawinski, a member and co-founder of the Galaxy Zoo team, said in a statement.
The find, nicknamed "Hanny's Voorwerp" (Dutch for object), soon had scientists training their telescopes on the object.
"What we saw was really a mystery," Schawinski said. "The Voorwerp didn't contain any stars."

Made entirely of very hot gas, the eerie green object is illuminated by remnant light from the nearby galaxy IC 2497.
"We think that in the recent past the galaxy IC 2497 hosted an enormously bright quasar," Schawinski said.
He said light from the past still illuminates the ghostly object, even though the quasar shut down some 100,000 years ago and the galaxy's black hole went quiet.

"It's this light echo that has been frozen in time for us to observe," said Chris Lintott, a co-organizer of Galaxy Zoo at Oxford University in the United Kingdom, said in a statement.

Researchers will soon use the Hubble Space Telescope to get a closer look.
"It's amazing to think that this object has been sitting in the archives for decades and that amateur volunteers can help by spotting things like this online," van Arkel said in a statement.

Van Arkel is one of more than 150,000 amateur astronomers who have assisted in classifying more than 1 million galaxies over the past year as part of the Galaxy Zoo project.

The next stage of Galaxy Zoo will ask volunteers to search for more unusual astronomical objects.
Galaxy Zoo can be found at http://www.galaxyzoo.org .
(Editing by Jackie Frank)
Copyright 2008, Reuters
2008-08-05 15:51:18
Is this a cosmic haha?

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
htmagic
Senior Officer

Re: NOTEPAD for RANDOM IDEAS - Sun Rays

Post by htmagic »

(moved from PEOPLE & PLACES & DATES) https://www.ttbrown.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 248#p17245
greggvizza wrote:What if gravity were a flow, like in a river or stream, where objects are pushed along with the flow of the water.
Then I suppose we would need to be like salmon and swim upstream.
Gregg,

It's funny that you wrote this today. I was thinking along the same lines.

As I was driving to work today, I was musing about the "rays" of energy that Kevin can "see" or feel.
Then I looked to the clouds, and in one hole in the clouds, I saw sunlight spilling out from the hole like water in a waterfall. The sunlight was pouring over the edge of the cloud as water over the edge of a cliff and it appeared that the sunlight was "dragging" part of the cloud down to earth as it shone through the clouds. In fact, if you looked at the rays through the clouds, they appear as streaks, colored differently near the clouds (darker, more pronounced) and disappearing the farther away from the cloud. Now we know clouds are made of water vapor and they condense as rain upon a nucleus or bit of dust. So these rays of sunlight are acting as particles as they are dragging particles of water vapor and the cloud along with them as they journey to earth.

Then I realized Tesla was right in his radiant energy patent and that the sunlight contains rays or streams of minute matter or particles which can knock off electrons from an insulated plate as described in Tesla's radiant energy patent. Elsewhere in this forum, I discussed Od or Odium energy that Baron von Reichenbach discovered in the 1800s. I also believe these two things may be the same thing, just different terminology. And apparently the Baron discovered it in greater detail and knew how to fractionate the energy using prisms and other means. But Tesla knew how to extract power from it and it worked day and night.

So we are taught that gravity is pulling all these bits of matter to the earth. When in actuality it could be the "push" of the minute bits of matter in these rays of sunlight that point to the fact that we are being constantly bombarded by cosmic radiation...

So Kevin, when you look at these rays of sunlight streaming through the clouds, do they match to what you "see" in flows? I cannot see the spiral nature of sunlight but if there are minute particles, the Coriolis effect would come into play and the flow would be of a spiral nature.

Did anyone catch the Modern Marvels episode on "Mad Electricity" last night on the History Channel? It was all about Tesla and it was very good.

Musings of someone trying to understand the "wheelwork of nature"...

MagicBill
Trickfox
The Magician

Post by Trickfox »

Mr. Twigsnapper
viewtopic.php?p=10183#p10183
Haven't we allready established that Peter Wright's toy (the MOP) may have been an early form of sound pick-up device using the forces we are looking at here? :roll:

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
htmagic
Senior Officer

Re: NOTEPAD for RANDOM IDEAS - Electricity from Heat

Post by htmagic »

Something I saw tonight:
http://www.reuters.com/article/blogBurs ... de1q356s6e
Material may help autos turn heat into electricity Powered by BlogBurst
POSTED: Thursday, July 24, 2008
FROM BLOG: Science Codex - Science Codex is one source for all of the latest science news in culture, technology, earth sciences,physical sciences, space science and technology.

The following blog post is from an independent writer and is not connected with Reuters News. The opinions and views expressed herein are those of the author and are not endorsed by Reuters.com.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Researchers have invented a new material that will make cars even more efficient, by converting heat wasted through engine exhaust into electricity. In the current issue of the journal Science, they describe a material with twice the efficiency of anything currently on the market.

The same technology could work in power generators and heat pumps, said project leader Joseph Heremans, Ohio Eminent Scholar in Nanotechnology at Ohio State University.

Scientists call such materials thermoelectric materials, and they rate the materials' efficiency based on how much heat they can convert into electricity at a given temperature.

Previously, the most efficient material used commercially in thermoelectric power generators was an alloy called sodium-doped lead telluride, which had a rating of 0.71. The new material, thallium-doped lead telluride, has a rating of 1.5 -- more than twice that of the previous leader.

What's more important to Heremans is that the new material is most effective between 450 and 950 degrees Fahrenheit -- a typical temperature range for power systems such as automobile engines.

Some experts argue that only about 25 percent of the energy produced by a typical gasoline engine is used to move a car or power its accessories, and nearly 60 percent is lost through waste heat -- much of which escapes in engine exhaust.

A thermoelectric (TE) device can capture some of that waste heat, Heremans said. It would also make a practical addition to an automobile, because it has no moving parts to wear out or break down.

"The material does all the work. It produces electrical power just like conventional heat engines -- steam engines, gas or diesel engines -- that are coupled to electrical generators, but it uses electrons as the working fluids instead of water or gases, and makes electricity directly."

"Thermoelectrics are also very small," he added. "I like to say that TE converters compare to other heat engines like the transistor compares to the vacuum tube."

The engineers took a unique strategy to design this new material.

To maximize the amount of electricity produced by a TE material, engineers would normally try to limit the amount of heat that can pass through it without being captured and converted to electricity. So the typical strategy for making a good thermoelectric material is to lower its thermal conductivity.

In Heremans' lab, he used to work to lower the thermal conductivity by building nanometer-sized structures such as nanowires into materials. A nanometer is one billionth of a meter.

Those nanostructured materials are not very stable, are very difficult to make in large quantities, and are difficult to connect with conventional electronic circuits and external heat sources.

For this new material, he and his colleagues took a different strategy: they left out the fancy nanostructures, and instead focused on how to convert the maximum amount of heat that was trapped in the material naturally.

To do this, they took advantage of some new ideas in quantum mechanics.

Heremans pointed to a 2006 paper published by other researchers in the journal Physical Review Letters, which suggested that elements such as thallium and tellurium could interact on a quantum-mechanical level to create a resonance between the thallium electrons and those in the host lead telluride thermoelectric material, depending on the bonds between the atoms.

"It comes down to a peculiar behavior of an electron in a thallium atom when it has tellurium neighbors," he said. "We'd been working for 10 years to engineer this kind of behavior using different kinds of nanostructured materials, but with limited success. Then I saw this paper, and I knew we could do the same thing we'd been trying to do with nanostructures, but with this bulk semiconductor instead."

Heremans designed the new material with Vladimir Jovovic, who did this work for his doctoral thesis in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Ohio State. Researchers at Osaka University -- Ken Kurosaki, Anek Charoenphakdee, and Shinsuke Yamanaka -- created samples of the material for testing. Then researchers at the California Institute of Technology -- G. Jeffrey Snyder, Eric S. Toberer, and Ali Saramat -- tested the material at high temperatures. Heremans and Jovovic tested it at low temperatures and provided experimental proof that the physical mechanism they postulated was indeed at work.

The team found that near 450 degrees Fahrenheit, the material converted heat to electricity with an efficiency rating of about 0.75 -- close to that of sodium doped telluride. But as the temperature rose, so did the efficiency of the new material. It peaked at 950 degrees Fahrenheit, with a rating of 1.5.

Heremans' team is continuing to work on this patent-pending technology.

"We hope to go much further. I think it should be quite possible to apply other lessons learned from thermoelectric nanotechnology to boost the rating by another factor of two -- that's what we're shooting for now," he said.

Source: Ohio State University
Sound similar to the petrovoltaics Dr. Brown worked on.

MagicBill
htmagic
Senior Officer

Re: NOTEPAD for RANDOM IDEAS - Stretchable Circuits

Post by htmagic »

This just out.
http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceN ... ws&sp=true
Material bends, stretches and conducts electricity?
Thu Aug 7, 2008 7:01pm EDT