SARBACHER/SMITH & "Fusion in Philadelphia?"

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

its interesting to me

Post by Linda Brown »

Its interesting to me how this forum operates. I guess that it is a good reflection of society in general.

Have you all seen the rather amazing concept that was introduced here but because of various personalities .... AMs insights and upsets and conclusions totally obliterated what he actually had to say. Did anyone actually catch it? Is anyone really paying attention?

All respect to you Jim but have you missed it too? You are concerned with helping AM find his place but you miss some of the most important things that he has had to say? The ultimate positive and the ultimate negative and yet ..... has anyone really noticed what the real discussions are here?

Linda
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: Appreciate it.

Post by Mikado14 »

JZimmer wrote:
If you had asked AM the same way you asked me what was bothering me, maybe something important may have come of it. It’s as simple as that.
AM had my private Email. If he wanted to talk and it was that important, I would have even called him on the phone. That is how much I think of my young Jedi friend.

And I hope, that someday, tomorrow or the next or even next year when clarity returns....I will be here for him.

nuff said

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
James Barrett

inertial containment

Post by James Barrett »

So then lets move on shall we?

Intresting choice Radomir
"Quick now, here, now, always—
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well"

how about this since we seem to be moving onward.... not my words but I kind of like them.........

"So I had this really wacky thought. There's this really off the wall thing called the Biefeld-Brown effect. As you can see by doing a google search, there's a lot of weird science associated with this stuff. What is cool is that at least it's been reproduced. Regardless of whether the effect works in a vacuum (I'd demand a lot of reproductions, as this would be a very cool effect), it does seem to be a very nice accelerator for air (nitrogen) and other gases. NASA has a patent out on what essentially amounts to an ion thruster using the effect. So I wonder if the Biefeld-Brown effect can be used to advantage in the fusor? I've always wanted to do field analysis of some of the figures from the patents of T Townsend Brown. Just using the simple version like that on the left should be sufficient. I wonder if just simply extending the cathode grid to a shell, much like the butterfly cage, might actually form a very efficient spherically focused ion accelerator. Bussard is firm on the point that you must not have any magnetic fields in the grids, as this would add transverse motion to the beams. Thus, there would actually have to be four layers here, two to a grid. The layers have the current flowing in opposite direction, so the magnetic fields cancel.

.Which is kind of odd at first glance, because in the same breath as he's saying this, he's also saying that the system using the magnetic polyhedral cage with ion and electron injection works as well for the inertial collisional compression effect. The reason this still works is because the ions are being created outside of the cage field, and are accelerated through the faces or vertices of the magnetic cage. In the vertex case, each one is a magnetic quadrupole and is thus a very nice beam guide. In the case of the faces the beams are perpendicular to the field lines, so the ions will orbit the field lines, spiraling down. I'm going to have to model this with something like EGun or some other field ray tracing program. It'd be very interesting to model. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be much transverse motion induced, but what the heck do I know analytically :)"

." .Well, it goes on and its well worth reading.I just love an article that starts mmm this is a wacky thought .... and ends with .... kind of odd. Fingerprints.

http://mr-fusion.hellblazer.com/archives/2002/12/ James
Langley
Senior Officer

Re: inertial containment

Post by Langley »

[quote="James Barrett"]So then lets move on shall we?

"So I had this really wacky thought. There's this really off the wall thing called the Biefeld-Brown effect.
.Which is kind of odd at first glance, because in the same breath as he's saying this, he's also saying that the system using the magnetic polyhedral cage with ion and electron injection works as well for the inertial collisional compression effect. The reason this still works is because the ions are being created outside of the cage field, and are accelerated through the faces or vertices of the magnetic cage. ... end quote.

compact particle accelerator. Cyclotron.

Butterfly = Double Dee.

http://www.smecc.org/salisbury_-_the_lawrence_years.htm
Langley
Senior Officer

Post by Langley »

James Barrett wrote:So then lets move on shall we?

Intresting choice Radomir
"Quick now, here, now, always—
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well"

My word. goodness.

In the dark art of nuclear physics it is taken as rote that there are alpha, beta, neutron, gamma and X radiations in the spectrum segment which comprises the ionising radiations. (ionising radiation is that which is capable of stripping electrons off target or adjacent atoms) (no more, no less than that).

In the process of passing by or through other atoms (either targets (as in a cyclotron) or ambient matter (as in shielding), ionising radiation transfers energy from itself to these other atoms. And so the radiation looses energy in the process of ionising these other atoms.

Now apart from gamma and X (the difference between these two is limited soley to frequency and energy level), which have no mass component (ie they are pure energy) all the others are mass based. That is, alpha, beta and neutron radiations are comprised of sub atomic particles accelerated to very high speed. So high that the mass characteristics which normally define them become insignificant compared to the characteristics they manifest when accelerated to very high speed. They become ionising radiation, defined by their electromagnetic (ionising radiation exists within the electromagnetic spectrum) and ionising characteristics.

For example, alpha radiation is simply a helium ion (nucleus) accelerated to very high speed. It is then ionising radiation. Slow it down again and it is just an helium ion, looking for electrons. In the process of slowing down alpha radiation, the alpha radiation, comprising as it does a whole nucleus, is very very big. relatively. (compared to gamma, which has no "size" or mass at all) So it doesnt take much time or distance for it to collide with ambient atoms, imparting energy and loosing energy itself. In this slowing of the alpha radiation it causes the atoms it passes near or actually collides with to give up electrons, some of which may be ejected at high speed - becoming beta radiation. And on collision with other atoms, the beta radiation causes these atoms its collides with to (according to the force with which they are hit) emit gamma radiation in a vector at 90 degrees to the vector of the alpha radiation. So in a cloud chamber, you can watch an alpha ray go through a medium, and its track is say from left to right, and in the cloud chamber you see little spurs come of that primary track as gamma is produced. The alpha radiation slows down as a result of all these collisions and becomes a boring old helium nucleus again.

Conventionally, the types of radiation which are particulate are defined by the type of sub atomic particle they are comprised of.

alpha = helium nucleus.
Beta + = proton (positron)
Beta - = electron

What the heck a high speed cesium ion becomes I haven't the foggiest notion.

But I can postulate with reasonable certainty that a high speed cesium ion, being comprised of a large and massive nucleus, would, upon striking other atoms (air, concrete, metal, whatever) cause gamma to be emitted from those atoms. And the gamma would emit in vectors being at 90 degrees to the vector of the cesium ions. So onlookers standing and watching a cesium ion flow which run horizontally from right to left or vice versa, would be subjected to exposure to the gamma emissions resultant from the ineraction of these high speed cesium ions. If these ions were in a vaccuum, then the gamma would be emitted when the ions struck the sides of the containment.

Film badges used in environments where alpha and beta are the primary hazard are not covered by anything. Any covering, such as being sewn into a fabric, would shield them from alpha and beta. And so on exposure and calibration, the dose figure would be in error and under report.

If however, the primary hazard being monitored was gamma (or X), which has a very low ionisation rate per unit distance, (hence its range is given as essentially infinite), then the film badge, being sewn into a lab coat would be of no consequence at, as so little of the gamma would be attenuated by the fabric that the reading acquired from the film badge would not be affected.

At the Crocker Labs, initially Lawrence's big double Dee cyclotron was completely unshielded. the gamma radiation caused by the high speed particles flowed from the machines in all directions. It was not until they found a dead mouse, that the staff considered their shielding needs.

Linda Brown, standing off in horizontal offset from the path of the cesium ions, stood, with others in a faint sea of gamma resultant from the travel of the high speed cesium ions in air or if in vacuum, its collision with the vacuum containment.

In much the same way kiddies are exposed to the X radiation resultant from electrons hitting the glass screen of a crt TV set or computer monitor.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d78/p ... hacell.jpg

The sewing of the film badge into the lab is a simple way of shielding it from background alpha/beta of no interest. GM tube detectors are sometimes fitted with a beta window which can be flipped open or closed, and by correct use of such an instrument, discrimination in readings between the radiation types results. In much the same way as a coloured filter on the lens of a camera filters light, another form of EM radiation but fortunately non ionising.

Among the lab coats' numerous functions, one was an alpha/beta filter for the film badge. In this way, upon the film's development and calibration, the resultant dosimetry would include only only gamma and x.

Try number: 11.

Lets give Dr Sugarman an outing:
http://www.remm.nlm.gov/civilian.htm

One of the hazards of using fast flow of ions as a fuel injector for a fusor I guess. Perhaps.
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

nod in your direction

Post by Mark Culpepper »

I am always very impressed with what you have to say Langley. I just wish I was up to speed on the technology that you are mentioning but I am sure there are those members of our forum who are really appreciating what you have just contributed.

I'm stuck back trying to answer what Linda just said about noticing the IMPORTANT thing which was mentioned in this AM discussion (that because of the rhetoric and the emotion of it all seemed to be ignored). And it stands there like a beacon. AM has claimed that he was getting all of this information that he brought to the forum through " downloads" Thats the word that he actually used.DOWNLOADS .

We have been talking about communications. Does AM even realize that the information shared with us .... could have been SENT to us? THROUGH HIM? Is that too wild a concept? I frankly don't think so. And if that is t. he case then AM may have simply been an antennae? ar reciever. A scribe? Look at all of the things that he has noticed and then had the wild passion about making sure that we all heard about it. He may have spun off into space in a huff but the result is the same. I am sure that Paul has taken note of everything he has said. Or at least I hope so because when you look at all of this .... there seems to be no coincidence in his messages

MarkC
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

James Barrett wrote:So then lets move on shall we?

<SNIP> So I wonder if the Biefeld-Brown effect can be used to advantage in the fusor? I've always wanted to do field analysis of some of the figures from the patents of T Townsend Brown. Just using the simple version like that on the left should be sufficient. I wonder if just simply extending the cathode grid to a shell, much like the butterfly cage, might actually form a very efficient spherically focused ion accelerator. Bussard is firm on the point that you must not have any magnetic fields in the grids, as this would add transverse motion to the beams. Thus, there would actually have to be four layers here, two to a grid. The layers have the current flowing in opposite direction, so the magnetic fields cancel.

Aha! An ION injector! Now I thought some fusors including Hirsch's had these already. Now the curious thing you mentioned was the spiral path. Kevin's already talked to us about that but even before I joined this forum, I read about the fusor from Paul's website, and I've had the idea of moving the ions in a spiral. I want to build a fusor like a cyclone and inject the ions in the stream just like a tornado. Now with the high voltage, I figured there would be a plasma ball (ball lightning) at the center of the vortex. It would also take care of the heating problem that the fusor users had with their grids. I've got a 2 stage vacuum pump.
Anyone want to donate a small 4-inch diameter cyclone?
:wink:

.Which is kind of odd at first glance, because in the same breath as he's saying this, he's also saying that the system using the magnetic polyhedral cage with ion and electron injection works as well for the inertial collisional compression effect. The reason this still works is because the ions are being created outside of the cage field, and are accelerated through the faces or vertices of the magnetic cage. In the vertex case, each one is a magnetic quadrupole and is thus a very nice beam guide. In the case of the faces the beams are perpendicular to the field lines, so the ions will orbit the field lines, spiraling down. I'm going to have to model this with something like EGun or some other field ray tracing program. It'd be very interesting to model. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be much transverse motion induced, but what the heck do I know analytically :)"

." .Well, it goes on and its well worth reading.I just love an article that starts mmm this is a wacky thought .... and ends with .... kind of odd. Fingerprints.

James,

Thanks for the very interesting article.
Big Brown did it again! :wink:
Another dominant win!

Take care,

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
Rose
Senior Cadet

Fusion in Tokyo This Week

Post by Rose »

In an interesting bit of synchronicity, this news item is worth noting:

http://newenergytimes.com/news/2008/29i ... a-Demo.htm

OSAKA, JAPAN -- Against a monumental backdrop of bad publicity for cold fusion since 1989, researchers in Japan on May 22
The mastermind behind the demonstration is Yoshiaki Arata, a highly respected physicist in Japan who has been the recipent of Japan's highest award, the Order of Cultural Merit, and is the first person to have performed a thermonuclear fusion experiment showing large amounts of d-d reactions in Japan.

A lecture by Arata preceded the demonstration before a live audience in Arata Hall (named in his honor) at the Joining and Welding Research Institute at Osaka University. The demonstration took place in the Osaka University Advanced Science & Innovation Center with the help of Arata’s associate, professor Yue Chang Zhang of Shianghai Jiotong University.

Professor Akito Takahashi of Osaka University was an eyewitness to the demonstration.

"Arata and Zhang demonstrated very successfully the generation of continuous excess energy (heat) from ZrO2-nano-Pd sample powders under D2 gas charging and generation of helium-4," Takahashi wrote. "The demonstrated live data looked just like data they reported in their published papers (J. High Temp. Soc. Jpn, Feb. and March issues, 2008). This demonstration showed that the method is highly reproducible."

Rose
Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god.
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Re: SARBACHER/SMITH & "Fusion in Philadelphia?"

Post by Radomir »

Wow, thanks Rose for the interesting article link, and welcome to the forum.

Just noting you lopped off about half that introductory sentence to the article. If you care, there is a function where you can edit the post and put it back in, but you have to be logged in to do so.

Welcomed this article as I had followed cold-fusion information for a while, several years back. In those days I was also trying to reproduce various energy effects but had crossed CF off my list as one I wouldn't try to replicate--while I was really intrigued, had decided to do only things with magnets and batteries where there was less chance of blowing up my workshop.

Interestingly, Bose corporation is reported to have looked into CF (they are privately held), but publicly stated they found no net energy gain. One wonders...

I've been similarly intrigued of course by the Fusor technology, rekindled lately by the post and site linked to by James above. But same applies here--not something I think (this) one can tackle in a potting shed in the back yard!

Best,
R.
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Rose,

Welcome to the Forum! Thank you so much for that link. It is ironic that something that was dismissed as "junk science" or "weird science" is now coming into the mainstream. I was especially fascinated by the last half of the article where Yoshiaki Arata states:
http://newenergytimes.com/news/2008/29img/Arata-Demo.htm wrote:"Some people say we have reached the end of science, that there are no more great discoveries that remain. In my view, nature always has more secrets to reveal," Arata wrote. "I always stay on guard not to be too possessed by my own current knowledge. History has shown us repeatedly, for example, the foolishness of denying 'heliocentricism,' which resulted from individuals adhering too strongly to their own knowledge or to what was common sense in the past."
Now I believe this meshes nicely with what is discussed in this forum, especially when it comes to the "Cosmic Consciousness". T. Townsend Brown detected the sidereal radiation and stated that it had intelligence. Some dowse, or consult pendulums or the I Ching for their answers. But I believe they all all going to the same source for their information. Now as Linda Brown has discovered, some may call this "mystical BS" but others know different. Look what Nicolaus Copernicus and Galileo Galilei had to endure from the Catholic church in expressing the truth. These writings went against the church and the church was afraid that there would be a falling away which wouldn't line their pockets from the "tithes" of the parishioners. That mindset hasn't changed much in 500 years, has it? :wink:

Now if Arata, T. Townsend Brown, Nikola Tesla and others show that these former beliefs are false and show the true science behind it, then there will be a paradigm shift in thinking. This spurred the Renaissance Age before. We need another one today. Maybe with Trickfox's mathematical formulas linking the mystical to the science, other scientists can see the connection that has been made and suspend disbelief. Then we may have a paradigm shift for people that could help us achieve greater things than what we have now. Then people like Kevin will be consulted in surveys, cartography, and drilling for oil, gas, or water. Although from what I read, dowsers are already being used in drilling operations as some know it works (even though they can't explain it).

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
JZimmer
Deputy SysAdmin

Post by JZimmer »

Hi All,

Interesting reading for those who don't know about this article. Sorry if it has been posted before

http://www.farnovision.com/chronicles/f ... latos.html

Jim

P.S. This is Pauls work, by the way!
Rose
Senior Cadet

Post by Rose »

Thanks for the welcome, Radomir and Bill.

And for the link, Jim. It filled in the Fuzor information gap nicely. I wonder what ITT did with the Farnsworth patents, and if it looks like Arata's work is going to lend itself to patentable applications, if ITT won't suddenly be jumping back into the outer game.

Rose
Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god.
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Post by Radomir »

Rose, that article linked to above was actually not by Paul, but by a chap named Gerry Vassilatos, so to get the full story you may want to read Paul's book:

http://www.farnovision.com/closeout.html

...and no, I don't get any cash back on the recommendation, it's just a great read.

Best,
R.