Any Body Recognize this Shortwave Radio?

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Kevin...That all makes almost too much sense to me. If you run across the reference to "ultra" that you noticed, I'd sure like the link. All Wiki says about it is that "ultra" was attached to "MK" (signifying mind control spelled with a K) to just add a nonsense term to the identifier. Yeah...and chocolate chip cookies don't have chocolate chips in them.

I've long thought that this all had to do with "reading" the targeted brain wave patterns of certain individuals who are immersed in electromagnetic waves, and who isn't. Cell phone technologies only make it all so much simpler and easier. With the appropriate systems and devices, all one would have to do would be to note the grid ( matrix) "address" of the person of interest and then read his/her intentions to short circuit their reality. Hmmmm...it all sounds so familiar to me somehow.

flow.... 8)
Dancing is better than marching
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

throw a red flag down fellows

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Thats the immediate thought that I had when I read the last couple of posts here. Strange that when things get just a little quiet while waiting for another chapter from Paul we all go dredging for material back in the forum historical threads! Amazing what one finds there, isn't it?

Good find both of you but now with this new Chapter ... throw a red flag down on this point .... because I think that it will possibly come back later ..... or you wouldn't have noticed it this time around .... again.

And the really scarey thing is kevin. We are all beginning to almost understand you! Its a joy and an experience I wouldn't ever want to miss. What would we do without Hobbits in this world? ( and now with a new book to consider .... What would we do without guardian Ice bears too?) Elizabeth
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Flowperson,
It was chapter 50, structure of space, two extremes of ultra.
in the chapter is ultra high, but in the link,
http://www.alfvenlab.kth.se/hannes.html
Is ultra short electromagnetic waves.
He was a radio man as dr Brown was, they will both have had fine hearing, radio ears.
Kevin
fibonacci is king
htmagic
Senior Officer

Re: Any Body Recognize this Shortwave Radio?

Post by htmagic »

Paul S. wrote:Some of you will perhaps recognize this photo of Dr. Brown and a shortwave radio set from the 1950s:

This radio followed Dr. Brown in all of his travels starting in 1956 or '57, and those those of you who have been following along will know that this particular radio was no ordinary "shortwave" receiver.

Can anybody help me identify the make and/or model of this particular set? Atwater-Kent? Zenith? You can see the name of a manufacturer just beneath the dial, but it's too fuzzy to read.

I'd like to be able to identify it as something other than a generic shortwave radio.

Thanks,

--PS
Folks,

I realize this post is somewhat old, but this is the first time I read these posts here. I do believe that the radio may be a RCA type suitcase shortwave radio. One can count the seven bands on the dial and that is exactly as shown in the RCA radios. In the pictures below, there is a tag showing the bands the radio could receive.

Some have stated that the sides of the dial may slope more but this may be an optical illusion as the picture with Dr. Brown is taken head on. Other views look from the top down and may give the illusion of more straight sides.

I recently found an identical looking model on eBay, Item #170214800207. As this post will be up for a long time, I'm attaching the photos with the auction. eBay will remove these pictures after 90 days. So I saved them and downloaded them to another website. So here is this radio in all its glory:

Now the only difference I can see is on the right hand side of the dial. The round object may be the RCA logo (possible) or what was called the "magic eye" which was a tuning indicator. When a station was tuned in, the "magic eye" would indicate a lock on the station. It is interesting to note that RCA used the magic eyes in their tuners and introduced them as early as the 1930s:

http://hhscott.com/cc/magic_eyes.htm
http://home.pacbell.net/philbert/tuning ... eintro.htm.

Apparently there were two types of magic eyes developed; the first had two split lines that merged while tuned on a station.This was on a 1958 radio but it could have been used on Dr. Brown's model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hq2gtprtic
The second type of magic eye was the "cats eye" type which was also used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEveOBzncFk

So if this really IS a magic eye, maybe Dr. Brown wasn't "hearing" anything but "looking" at the magic eye instead. This could produce visible indication of regular pulses if so tuned. So maybe the radio wasn't "modified" at all. Maybe Dr. Brown knew how to "read" the pulses.

Maybe Linda Brown could shed more light on this radio. Linda, was there a tuning indicator on this radio on the right hand side of the dial? Or was it just the RCA logo?

Food for thought. By the way, the leather suitcase radio was going for $46 with only a day before the close of the auction. It is a beautiful radio...

MagicBill
Last edited by htmagic on Mon May 05, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Familiar

Post by Paul S. »

I recognize that line. Another Moody Blues fan, huh?

Somethings never get old.

Which is what iPods are for.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Paul,

Yes, it IS a Moody Blues song.
And yes, I am a fan.
They were recently in Baltimore and it was great.
I have pictures and the Moody Blues still look great.
And yes, I DID download them to an iPod (Nano).

What did you think of the pictures for the suitcase radio?
I looked at the picture of the shortwave receiver at the beach and cannot see the round object at the right of the dial but it may have been obscured by the angle.

Sorry for all the bandwidth but I know eBay will remove the photos and details of the listing after 90 days. So I captured them, saved them, and stored them on another server...

MagicBill
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Moody Blues

Post by greggvizza »

Alright, I can not longer hold back. The Moody Blues were one of my very favorite bands. And the album that that song was on, In Search Of The Lost Chord, was my favorite album by them. I must have played it 1000 times or more. It think it has now become part of my DNA, I dont need to play it anymore to listen to it.

MOODY BLUES
"The Best Way To Travel"

And you can fly
High as a kite if you want to
Faster than light if you want to
Speeding through the universe
Thinking is the best way to travel

It's all a dream
Light passing by on the screen
And there's you and I on the beam

We ride the waves
Distance is gone, will we find out?
How life began, will we find out?

And you can fly
High as a kite if you want to
Faster than light if you want to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lJMpzbOA4

GV
htmagic
Senior Officer

Moody Blues & the Rodin Coil (toroid)

Post by htmagic »

GV,

Thank you so much for that link! What a trip!
Reminds me the first time I heard it on those LP vinyl platters...
The Moody Blues are still one of my favorite bands.
It is a shame they never made it to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
I bet this would sound awesome on TTB's electrostatic speaker system!

What ever happened to Mike Pinder and Ray Thomas?
Justin Hayward, John Lodge, and Graeme Edge looked great at the Moody Blues concert in Baltimore on April 21, 2008 at the Lyric Opera House in Baltimore, MD. My wife and I also saw them at Radio City Music Hall, NYC, NY on August 9, 2007. They had a different concert and my wife said that Justin Hayward looked a lot thinner this year. They only did one encore in Baltimore (Monday evening) and in NYC I believe they did 2 (Thursday evening)... They also looked tired so maybe they had jet lag.

GV, as long as we're trading links, check out this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnTm8viqyBg

Look at 1:50 at what I believe is depicted a black hole. I believe this pictorial view is what Kevin B. describes the change in vortexes in his past posts. It also looks identical to this image:
http://markorodin.com/vortex_in_vortex_out.gif
And this was produced by a toroidal coil called the Rodin coil.
This gentleman claims it is the"mathematical fingerprint of God".
http://markorodin.com/

Sometimes artists can see these things long before a scientist. The good scientists are a little of both and are renaissance men (and women).
I believe Dr. Brown fit this category.

MagicBill
James Barrett

so on target

Post by James Barrett »

So on target it doesn't even need more words, my humble opinion.

"In Search Of The Lost Chord, was my favorite album by them. I must have played it 1000 times or more. It think it has now become part of my DNA, I dont need to play it anymore to listen to it.

James
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

magicbill,
Your torroid does look familier, maybe we are closing in on the cross point?
Then expect the sun to rise where it now sets.

Little miss muffet sat on a tuffet
eating her curds and whey
along came a spider,
who sat down beside her
And frightened miss muffet away.

http://www.keelynet.com/spider/b-119e.htm
Nazca lines?
kevin
fibonacci is king
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Moodies

Post by Paul S. »

I liked all the LPs from that period, but I think "On the Threshold of A Dream" was probably my favorite, and the track entitled "Never Comes the Day":

Give just a little bit more
Take a little bit less
From each other tonight
Admit what you're feeling
And see what's in front of you
It's never out of your sight
You know it's true,
You all know that it's true

Check the lyrics against an archive somewhere, I think that's right -- at least, that's what's burned into MY DNA.

I've seen the actual Moody Blues twice, I think, once in Los Angeles in the 90s and once here in Nashville about 8 years ago. I've also seen the principals (Dustin, Graeme, John) perform in a special concert for the release of a Nashville tribute album called "Moody Bluegrass." It's actually amazing how well those tunes translate into pure acoustic renderings, when performed by virtuosos.

I've also been thinking about another Moody Blues song lately. Anybody remember their first hit, "Go Now" ? That came to mind last night when I watched Hillary Clinton pledge to keep slogging on despite the obviously inevitable.

Now then, where ARE those acid flashbacks the promised us?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Radio Pix

Post by Paul S. »

htmagic wrote:What did you think of the pictures for the suitcase radio?
It's clearly a similar vintage and very similar model, but I don't think it's the same.

The one in the pictures, the "dial" area is rather "trapezoidal," the one you've pictured here is perfectly rectangular.

The interior pictures, close up on the map, etc, all pretty illustrative of the sets from that era.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
htmagic
Senior Officer

Re: Moodies, Radio Pix

Post by htmagic »

Paul S. wrote:I liked all the LPs from that period, but I think "On the Threshold of A Dream" was probably my favorite, and the track entitled "Never Comes the Day":

Give just a little bit more
Take a little bit less
From each other tonight
Admit what you're feeling
And see what's in front of you
It's never out of your sight
You know it's true,
You all know that it's true

Check the lyrics against an archive somewhere, I think that's right -- at least, that's what's burned into MY DNA.

I've seen the actual Moody Blues twice, I think, once in Los Angeles in the 90s and once here in Nashville about 8 years ago. I've also seen the principals (Dustin, Graeme, John) perform in a special concert for the release of a Nashville tribute album called "Moody Bluegrass." It's actually amazing how well those tunes translate into pure acoustic renderings, when performed by virtuosos.

I've also been thinking about another Moody Blues song lately. Anybody remember their first hit, "Go Now" ? That came to mind last night when I watched Hillary Clinton pledge to keep slogging on despite the obviously inevitable.

Now then, where ARE those acid flashbacks the promised us?

--PS
Paul,

Good DNA. Here's the entire lyrics for that song: http://www.lyricsdomain.com/13/moody_bl ... e_day.html

I like the first piece, the spoken one, "In the Beginning":
http://www.lyricsdomain.com/13/moody_blues/in_the_beginning.html wrote:[First Man:] I think, I think I am, therefore I am, I think.

[Establishment:] Of course you are my bright little star,
I've miles
And miles
Of files
Pretty files of your forefather's fruit
and now to suit our
great computer,
You're magnetic ink.

[First Man:] I'm more than that, I know I am, at least, I think I must be.

[Inner Man:] There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles
And piles
Of trials
With smiles.
It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free.
And as for the suitcase radio I posted pictures of that was selling on eBay, someone bought it for $56. I was tempted to place a bid...

Yes, there appears to be differences between that model and Dr. Brown's radio. But then again, was it just a shortwave radio or something modified to look like one? And I guess we'll be asking those questions until pigs fly, the cows come home, and raccoons stop pulling the rug away! :wink:

MagicBill
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Dr Brown must have doctered his radio?
http://amasci.com/tesla/tescieve.html
Kevin
fibonacci is king
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

I have seen this link before, then after posting the above link I looked at this one again and there was halliburton, ( hallicrafters)
why did I write Halliburton? this time jumping out at me, must be that big moon?
http://home.gwi.net/~erichard/fastlit.htm

just re-read this thread, you still owe Flowperson His gold medal and cone shaped vanilla Paul.
Kevin
fibonacci is king