Sanskrit

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
skyfish
Senior Officer

Re: Sanskrit

Post by skyfish »

Cosmic connection...overview effect...

In February, 1971, Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell experienced the little understood phenomenon sometimes called the “Overview Effect”. He describes being completely engulfed by a profound sense of universal connectedness. Without warning, he says, a feeing of bliss, timelessness, and connectedness began to overwhelm him. He describes becoming instantly and profoundly aware that each of his constituent atoms were connected to the fragile planet he saw in the window and to every other atom in the Universe. He described experiencing an intense awareness that Earth, with its humans, other animal species, and systems were all one synergistic whole. He says the feeling that rushed over him was a sense of interconnected euphoria. He was not the first—nor the last—to experience this strange “cosmic connection”.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... .html#more

Bliss, timelessness and connectedness...profoundly aware...sounds like samadhi!!!
skyfish
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: Found it.

Post by Paul S. »

Mikado14 wrote:The author was T.S. Eliot
It's a collection called "Four Quartets"

http://www.tristan.icom43.net/quartets/

The one that Twigsnapper quoted is the one called "Little Gidding."

Something that Morgan set to Linda back in the spring of '04.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

One

Post by Paul S. »

skyfish wrote: He describes becoming instantly and profoundly aware that each of his constituent atoms were connected to the fragile planet he saw in the window and to every other atom in the Universe.
There's at least a metaphysical rationale for this feeling, if not a purely "scientific" one.

I had occasion recently to spend a little time with a book called "The Field"

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Updated-Ed- ... 432&sr=8-1

The underlying theme of this work is that there is a 'quantum field,' the 'Higgs Ocean,' the 'Dirac Sea' or whatever you want to call it that fills the otherwise empty space between the nucleus of an atom an its orbiting electrons. The same "field" fills the space between planets and galaxies.

The point is that throughout the entire universe, there is only ONE such field; all matter -- including the protoplasm in the cells of our bodies -- "floats" in that field and is, as Mitchell realized in his orbital epiphany, effectively unified by that field.

We all swim in the same quantum sea. I think that's what Townsend Brown meant when he said (as Linda Brown tried to demonstrate in our very first meeting in a Las Vegas hotel) that the salt shaker always knows exactly where the pepper mill is.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

Post by twigsnapper »

The salt shaker always knows where the pepper is?

The perfect intellignence system.

And the pepper knows the same, remember. <g>

A perfect situation for "lost" lovers you see.

twigsnapper
skyfish
Senior Officer

Post by skyfish »

Paul,
Thanks for the source.

Allow but a little consciousness.
To be conscious is not to be in time
But only in time can the moment in the rose-garden,
The moment in the arbour where the rain beat,
The moment in the draughty church at smokefall
Be remembered; involved with past and future.
Only through time time is conquered.

I have a new treasure!

In 1975 I was on an aircraft carrier in the west pacific. At night I would go out to the very front
edge of the flight deck and slide down and put my feet on the steel saftey netting and recline on
the curved edge of the flight deck. You could get lost watching the phosphorescence that looked
like lightning in the the bow wake. When I looked up stars filled my entire field of vision.
One night, there on the edge of the flight deck, out in the middle of nowhere in the pacific ocean,
I had an experience of the overview effect.
I now live out in the country with no city lights and I still get lost in the night sky.

skyfish
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

twigsnapper wrote:The salt shaker always knows where the pepper is?

The perfect intellignence system.

And the pepper knows the same, remember. <g>

A perfect situation for "lost" lovers you see.

twigsnapper
Mr twiggsnapper,
Go to the paragraph above the pictures sir.
http://www.midwesternepigraphic.org/swastika01.html
Kevin
fibonacci is king
skyfish
Senior Officer

Post by skyfish »

NDE
The living dead:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 324234.ece

Maria, meanwhile, underwent cardiac arrest in 1977. She floated out of her body, drifted round the hospital and noticed a tennis shoe on a window sill. It was later found to be exactly where she said it was. The shoe was said to be invisible from the ground and not in any location where Maria could have seen it. Such stories suggest that OBEs should be scientifically verifiable.

Enter quantum mechanics. This started as the study of very small things — subatomic particles. It is the most effective scientific idea ever — it powers your computer, TV, anything dependent on electronics. So we know it’s true enough to work, but it’s also weird enough to defy belief. Everything about the discoveries in this area turned out to be in defiance of reason. Crucially, two things were discovered. First, particles can continue to be connected to each other even though separated by long distances — billions of light years, even: a phenomenon known as non-locality. This is, in our big world, impossible. Second, quantum theory showed that the mind can affect the world. If, for example, you say that light is made of particles, then, obligingly, light will be particles. If you say it is waves, then it will be waves. The questions we ask of nature determine the answers it gives.
On top of that, quantum non-locality could mean the mind is capable of being non-local to the brain, of floating to the ceiling of the room. It can become, as Stapp puts it, “unglued”. His words “certain choices not specified by the physical dynamics” are world-changing. This idea would, if widely accepted, end the reign of scientific materialism, replacing it with a new dualism. It would mean the universe is not a “causally closed” system, locked down since the big bang, as mainstream science has always insisted it is, but open to freedom of choice by the autonomous, floating, matter-altering mind. We would have regained our souls.

skyfish