350+ Pages = A "Sprawling Epic"

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

350+ Pages = A "Sprawling Epic"

Post by Paul S. »

Hello, everybody...

As some of you have no doubt gathered by now, I've been back from Cayman Brac for a little over a week. I think I mentioned somewhere along the line that when I got back, I was going to sit down and print every page of what I've written so far (something I have not been doing) and read the whole thing from "Preface" to "Chapter 60." I did that all last week, and was astonished to discover that the first 60 chapters add up to 354 single-spaced, letter-sized pages. Good grief.

My first thought upon seeing it all in one binder on my desk is two words: "Sprawling Epic."

My second thought was to show it to my wife: "See, I have been busy!"

It's really staggering the amount of ground this story covers, starting as it does in 1905 and covering all the upheavals and disruptions -- scientific and otherwise -- of the 20th Century.

The next thought was that what has been posted here just what I've been saying it is all along: the "first draft" of what is very much a "work in progress."

What has been written so far serves its purpose. It attempts to come to grips with the material, to hang the various pieces on some kind of framework, to get some sense of how it unfolds and fits together. I'm guessing we've put together about 3/4s of the jigsaw puzzle.

I can also see that, once I've made it through this first pass, there is going to have to be a lot of rewriting. And a lot of cutting.

It's interesting, for example, to see how many times I've used expressions like "the archives are devoid of any records..." or "there are no surviving records," all of which are different ways of saying "we just don't know."

When I read those passages, my first thought is a bit of self-admonition: "Surely, with just a little more effort, a few more phone calls.... I can get some answers." And then I remember Morgan's opening caveat: that the records have all been "weeded." That makes me grateful for the volume of material I've compiled, because that leaves plenty of room to just excise all the "we don't know" sections and just leave in what we do know. Future readers will find it easy enough to surmise what's missing.

I was also surprised to discover that there are lots of weasel words, despite my promise not to use them. Such entries will need to be revised.

There is also one important theme that struck me as I worked my way through the material.

Lately, elsewhere in these forums, I have made a big deal of something that dawned on me a few months ago, namely the difference between "Electrohydrodynamics" (EHD) and "Electrogravitcs" (E/G) and how it seems that by confusing the two, the former has become a means of concealing the latter.

EHD is the application the Biefeld-Brown effect in a fluid dielectric (liquid or air); E/G, I now realize, applies the Biefeld-Brown effect in a solid dielectric. Most of the work that is being done around the world now with "Townsend Brown technology" -- like the lifters -- is actually EHD stuff and when it doesn't work in a vacuum, people conclude there is no "antigravity" effect. Right they are. But has anybody tried the same experiments in a vacuum with a solid dielectric lately? If they have, they're not talking about it, and apparently with good reason.

When I re-read the entire text with that distinction in mind, what strikes me is that everything Brown is talking about "publicly" -- like the "Complete System" described in Chapter 27 -- is EHD technology, NOT E/G technology. In fact, after Brown went public with his ideas in the Popular Science article "How I Control Gravitation" (Chapter 21), there is virtually NO MENTION of anything having to do with gravitation or electrogravitics for the rest of the book -- so far, at least.

It looks like the subject doesn't really come up again publicly until the "Interavia" article "Flight Without Stress Or Strain" that was published in 1956 -- during the height of the "G-Engines" flap that Nick Cook discusses in "Hunt for Zero Point." Prior to that, anything that Townsend Brown was doing with "electrgravitics" was strictly under wraps -- if at all.

In other words, Brown pretty much stopped discussing the "gravity" aspects of his work very early on, even before the Caroline expedition. And everything that he talked about publicly -- and everything that is being discussed publicly today -- is not "electrogravitics," it's "electrohydrodynamics." And most people don't know the difference

Everybody with me on that?

The other observations that occur to me as I pour through the material are probably the sorts of things any writer or artist makes when observing their own work. I can see a tendency to "over write" in some places. There are a lot of places where I repeat myself -- probably because I forgot I'd mentioned certain things when I got around to mentioning them again. And some of the transitions strike me as a bit abrupt -- particularly when I switch from the "Townsend and Josephine" threads to the "Linda and Morgan" threads. But that's what "second drafts" are for.

So, that's what's had me occupied for the past week. Now that I've got the whole thing sitting on my desk (in one large loose-leaf binder), it's nice to how far we've come, but there are still some miles to go before "The End" can scroll up the screen....

Now then, when last we saw Dr. Brown, he was recuperating in Laguna Beach, CA... return with us now (or soon, anyway...)

--PS
Last edited by Paul S. on Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Re: 350+ Pages = A "Spawling Epic"

Post by Radomir »

Paul S. wrote: (snip)
In other words, Brown pretty much stopped discussing the "gravity" aspects of his work very early on, even before the Caroline expedition. And everything that he talked about publicly -- and everything that is being discussed publicly today -- is not "electrogravitics," it's "electrohydrodynamics." And most people don't know the difference

Everybody with me on that?

--PS
With you on that, roger dodger.

Isn't this called "negative definition" like you look at what's missing as you try to build a picture, and the shadow or gap ultimately helps define the form of what has been excluded?

Now the question is what to do to highlight the significance of that recognition within the balance of the text. In a way that will cause first-time readers with no background on the topic to really sit back and go "Huh! Now that's peculiar..."

As I was reading what you wrote above, I couldn't help wondering if this isn't the thing, or at least one of the main things you/we were supposed to recognize, or help any reader recognize. So that curiosity and demand grows for more information and experimentation about the solid dielectric work. At this point, with the record well-weeded, we can't go back, so let's get cracking with what we do know. And what you have outlined seems to me a great big, engraved invitation to play in the same fields (no pun intended) that gave TTB such pleasure and fulfillment. But that for myriad reasons he had to stop talking about at a certain point.

While I'm sure the final version of your text will be more refined, tight, concise and smooth in the transitions, I'll still want my own copy of the "extended cut" loose-leaf binder original, and not just for the collector or sentimental value. Some stuff is bound to have to be cut, and I'll still want to refer to the fuller version from time to time as a reference. No need to trouble your future publisher about that, I'll still purchase plenty of copies of the bound first edition (signed)...

R.
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

no artist, but

Post by twigsnapper »

I am no artist, trust me. But I know that there is a style of drawing a figure where you do not try to draw the form of the figure but rather the negative spaces, say between the crook of the elbow and the rest of the body. You are not drawing, or "seeing" the flesh ... you are "seeing " the space in between. And that might be what you or others will be encouraged to do once they get their hands on what you DO KNOW.

Once armed with that they will able to identify the negative spaces and that will help with the entire work. Radomir is quite right. There will be others spawning much work once they "SEE"

I do know one thing Paul, you have done a masterful work here and it will be the jumping off inspiration for years of work by others, scientists as well as historians and novelists. Well done indeed. Proud. twigsnapper
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

Thursday?

Post by Victoria Steele »

So..... Thursday Paul?

Sorry I have been quiet but I have been busy visiting a hospitalized friend. He says hello to you, doing better, home now ... wants something more to read so I said I would bug you! We have the whole set so far but WANT MORE! Consider yourself .... bugged!

Thursday huh? Huh? Huh? Victoria
grinder
Senior Officer

so where now?

Post by grinder »

So where is the story going now Paul?

Really curious! Back to the beach and a recovering Dr. Brown in 1945?

Back to Mr Twigsnapper/ORiley after Dr. Brown is injured and sent off? ( Thats 1945 too)

..... OR .... back to Linda and Morgan standing on the corner after she said " you have a green light?". I guess that she was working with her Dad then? 1966?

How strange it is that there are only twenty some years separating those events. Nothing in one hand and a century in another.

So ... which way boss? grinder
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: so where now?

Post by Paul S. »

grinder wrote:So where is the story going now Paul?

Really curious! Back to the beach and a recovering Dr. Brown in 1945?

Back to Mr Twigsnapper/ORiley after Dr. Brown is injured and sent off? ( Thats 1945 too)
All of the above, actually. But it won't be THIS Thursday. Sorry, Victoria.

I'm just getting started again. All the dishes are clean, the laundry washed folded and put away, no more excuses, back to work.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
grinder
Senior Officer

all of the above

Post by grinder »

All of the above? sheeze.

have been thinking some about this "sprawling epic".

Trickfox I think, questioned why it was that you were putting so much of your work out there on the Internet for everybody to read for free. Some would worry that you are giving away for free what needs to be paid for in the form of a book BUT I would like to submit a couple of thoughts on why this is a good idea.

I figure, if you have as much already out, the story is getting out there. New considerations , new discussions. And maybe thats all part of the development of future leads and sources. Maybe you can't get where you need to get without this sort of interaction from readers out here in Internet land.

I wondered who it was really that encouraged you to post your chapters like this Paul? I would be willing to bet it was Mr. Twigsnapper. Am I right?

And if that is the case then I can sort of understand the method to his madness.

I think there are many things that he can not tell you outright. But maybe if he turns your attention ( and ours too?) in certain directions then the information which "comes to our attention"does so through our own efforts. Hey, I don't know about the rest of you but I am real proud for any part I might play in that.

I wondered why that would be so important to him but I suddenly realized that he wants you to be able to stand behind the things that have been stated and if he is the only one giving you information and if HE doesn't personally stand up to verify his words, prove those words to the outside world, then your "source" falls apart. Obviously thats not a good position for him to be in.

But if we all find other sources for that same information then it relieves him of having to be your only source, right? And like you said long ago, I guess Mr. Twigsnapper has his own particular reasons for maintaining his security and privacy.

grinder
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

more thoughts

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

I have thought on this subject alot too grinder and I think that the point you brought up is valid.

But I don't think its the only reason Mr. Twigsnapper operates the way he does. I have accepted the fact that its important for Mr. Twigsnapper to help Paul to see certain information.

I know by his pride in us all ( in the forum) as his "fine hounds" and his worry over us " following the scent of the red herring" and many other remarks along that line that he considers us an intergral arm to Pauls research. What he can't outright tell Paul he hopes that we will uncover ourselves. Mainly because we are all different with different talents, and maybe prone to different "inspirations"

But then I ask myself why bother with all of that? Why not send a messenger with a big packet of neatly typed up information? Paul would then have everything at his disposal. A done deal. Or would it be?

Maybe then it would be sort of like a man who runs for office and who comes in with all of his own money. He doesn't need the interaction with the individual contributor because you see he has it all, he doesn't need them. But come the election .... what has all that money actually bought? No interaction, no contribution, no "force" acting in his behalf. Prepacked information just doesn't quite do it.

And maybe too there are some people out there who could be an enormous help without even knowing it. ( I happened across a study group that has collected all the information between the Panzer tanks during the battle of Halbe. Got there by researching a tank commander called "Pipkorn".) Anyway, not too much is making too much sense to me just yet .... other than the fact that I have made the note that there are these groups out there sitting on massive amounts of detailed information and they don't even know yet what a big help they might be. (for example ... records of transmissions between tanks during that action ... which I am assuming was the area Dr. Brown was near.

Mr. Twigsnapper I believe is bound by certain oaths perhaps but that won't stop us ... or these others ... eventually to piece a more substantial trail for Dr. Brown and the Caroline operations in place at the time. Elizabeth
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

dishes cleaned?

Post by Victoria Steele »

Laundry put away? Paul? Let me just count the advantages of having a full time writer operating out of the house!

But back to bugging. This Thursday? just maybe? Victoria
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

redheads

Post by Mikado14 »

Victoria Steele wrote:Laundry put away? Paul? Let me just count the advantages of having a full time writer operating out of the house!

But back to bugging. This Thursday? just maybe? Victoria
Geez Paul, those damnable redheads! If it tweren't for them were would all our stress come from? Remember Queen Elizabeth? Does Elizabeth have redhair?

From Mikado, with love. <g>
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

maybe... once in a while

You asking if I was a redhead? Thats sorta like asking if Lucille Ball was one!

I had my moments ..... but never really had the temperament. I had a roomate in college once that had red hair and the ability to dance on tables when she felt like it! I was more prone to sit in corners discussing quiet way- out- stuff with fellows that had the same interests. ( Gee ...I'm still doing that!) But a redhead? no! <g>

But ya gotta watch the quiet ones in the corner. They can be horribly persistant and maybe even annoying!

Thursday? Elizabeth
grinder
Senior Officer

galloping toward the end

Post by grinder »

This has all been so interesting but I was struck with the thought that, with each chapter that goes by we are sort of " galloping toward the end" So forgive me girls if I just say ...... "whenever .... Paul." I am really enjoying the ride!

What happens when a publisher shows up? The site can't possibly stay up the way it is now, can it? Maybe just a caption for each chapter? but then maybe they won't even want you to do that? I know that day is coming and its going to be sad. Only twenty more chapters to go? Take your time.

grinder
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: maybe... once in a while

Post by Mikado14 »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote:You asking if I was a redhead? Thats sorta like asking if Lucille Ball was one!

But a redhead? no! <g>

But ya gotta watch the quiet ones in the corner. They can be horribly persistant and maybe even annoying!

Thursday? Elizabeth
hmmm, I would venture to say that with the Lucille Ball comment that you are a brunette which more than likely has red highlights in the sun. Does that mean that if the sun lightens your hair in the summer you become more like Victoria?

By the way, looking into some German info for you, from a friends Father who was in the communications corps or whatever they called it. His name was Manfred Fink.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Greatly appreciated

Any leads greatly appreciated Mikado. Thanks so much! Elizabeth
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: dishes cleaned?

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:But back to bugging. This Thursday? just maybe? Victoria
Sooner, if I can get a certain reader to sign off on a draft.... standing by...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"