DOSIMETER BADGES

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

DOSIMETER BADGES

Post by twigsnapper »

Paul,

I wanted to open this particular discussion because I think that it is important to put all of the comments of " dosimeter badges" under one heading where your good readers can look carefully at the implications of those comments. I'll start with this message which barely mentions dosimeter badges directly and concentrates on Dr. Browns physical problems.

viewtopic.php?p=3478#3478

LindaB,

Are you suggesting, yes, you seem to be , that radiation had a little to do with Townsend Browns death? Good point. I think immediately of dosimeters. and neutron counts and maybe, dear lady you are right. twigsnapper

And then Andrew came back with an interesting answer regarding hazardous materials based on the skills he has developed in his career. Andrew said:

"agree with both LindaB and you, Twigsnapper, but you would obviously know much better than us the different projects he worked on.

What I see is that Townsend was involved in a number of various projects possibly involving ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, ozone, possibly vaporized high voltage transformer or capacitor oil containing PCBs, vaporized lead from solder, lead from some of his massive sensors (lead monoxide), asbestos containing electrical insulation, and so on. With all of the different projects he had going on, he may have been exposed to a larger number of different inhalable toxins than a ordinary person in a single occupation.

In general, he seems to have been a fairly healthy man, and if his lungs were weakened by any of the toxins he had absorbed over the years, it would certainly give any lung infection a foot in the door. I suspect the fact that he enjoyed swimming so much extended his life much further than an ordinary person.

Andrew "

But the discussion of "dosimeters" has not gone away and is not meant to. And the mystery remains as I think you asked Mikado, " Why was Linda Brown wearing a dosimeter badge sewn into her lab coat during the summer of 1966 at the Decker Labs outside of Philadelphia? twigsnapper
grinder
Senior Officer

neutron counts Farnsworth

Post by grinder »

Hey, you guys need to get Pauls last book out and check out page 231. In fact that whole chapter " Thats all I need to See" is important. (Didn't somebody use that exact phrase recently? Am I imagining things?

"Jack Fisher, one of the engineers of the fusion project later related to Steve blaising, another engineer who was not present at the time. Blaising was in charge ofmonitoring all of the radiation detection in the lab. THAT INCLUDED DOSIMETER BADGES WORN BY ALL OF THE PERSONEL AND ALSO PLACED IN STRATEGIC LOCATIONS AROUND THE LAB AND IN THE ACTUAL FUSOR PIT."

EXCUSE ME??????????? When was this? 1962-1963??????? where was Brown at the time? Boy! Thats going to turn into a standard remark. " "Where was Brown?"

And Paul, a thought. If there was a connecting project between this event and what was happening at Deckers in 1966 would this Blaising have been involved of monitoring all the radiation badges in Deckers too??????? grinder
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: neutron counts Farnsworth

Post by Mikado14 »

grinder wrote:Hey, you guys need to get Pauls last book out and check out page 231. In fact that whole chapter " Thats all I need to See" is important. (Didn't somebody use that exact phrase recently? Am I imagining things?

"Jack Fisher, one of the engineers of the fusion project later related to Steve blaising, another engineer who was not present at the time. Blaising was in charge ofmonitoring all of the radiation detection in the lab. THAT INCLUDED DOSIMETER BADGES WORN BY ALL OF THE PERSONEL AND ALSO PLACED IN STRATEGIC LOCATIONS AROUND THE LAB AND IN THE ACTUAL FUSOR PIT."

EXCUSE ME??????????? When was this? 1962-1963??????? where was Brown at the time? Boy! Thats going to turn into a standard remark. " "Where was Brown?"

And Paul, a thought. If there was a connecting project between this event and what was happening at Deckers in 1966 would this Blaising have been involved of monitoring all the radiation badges in Deckers too??????? grinder
Ding......Ding......Ding

Mikado

PS: Mr. Twigsnapper, I see the relevance of why you posted the above. However, my raising the question of the dosimeter's was due to some research I ran across that might be a link to Farnsworth in the Philadelphia area as grinder has pointed out. Now Paul is the expert on Farnsworth and I leave that to him. I will point out however there is a recent patent, in the past 15 years, of an Electrostatic device to reduce the decay of heavy elements.

Also, even though no one has mentioned it, it appears that Dr. Brown may have been the inventor of electostatic painting. I am sure that someone will say, "oh, didn't you know that?" duh, no, I didn't. A more comprehensive list of exactly what he worked on would be great, but then, where would the fun of all this be?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Overlap

Post by Paul S. »

grinder wrote:Hey, you guys need to get Pauls last book out and check out page 231. In fact that whole chapter " Thats all I need to See" is important. (Didn't somebody use that exact phrase recently? Am I imagining things?
No, you are certainly NOT imaging things. You are referring to Twigsnapper's Feb 16 post:

viewtopic.php?p=5026#5026
Twigsnapper wrote:And the question then is , "if the flame jet generator" is not what you need for the effect that you want. Where then do you go for what you want? Watch Dr. Browns path very carefully. When he is powering up, another is saying " I have seen all I needed to see" and is shutting down.
Clearly, grinder, you have made the connection that Twigsnapper is asking us to make.
grinder wrote: And Paul, a thought. If there was a connecting project between this event and what was happening at Deckers in 1966 would this Blaising have been involved of monitoring all the radiation badges in Deckers too???????
Unlikely, since Steve Blaising worked with Farnsworth in Fort Wayne, IN, while the Decker facility was in Philadelphia, PA. But there does appear to be some overlap time-wise between what was going on in Fort Wayne and what Twigsnapper seems to be telling us was going on in Philadelphia.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
grinder
Senior Officer

thought so

Post by grinder »

I thought that I had seen that phrase. So Dr. Brown was "powering up" as Farnsworth was" shutting down?" What does that actually mean?

And I am confused because I have thought that Townsend Browns association at Deckers was in 1966 what what was actually going on during 1962-1963 for Dr. Brown and his family?

I think that we are really on a hot trail here, don't you guys agree?

I guess it must be really hard for Mr. Twigsnapper to have to dole out this information this way but I guess it is true, it wouldn't count unless we found this on our own? (Gifts too easily gained are usually not appreciated.) And this is really important stuff. What did you say about the Universe Patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper?. Mr. Twigsnapper must have alot of that stuff. grinder
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

so where was HE?

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

So Paul, improbable perhaps, but not impossible. Where was your Mr. Blaising during the summer of 1966. I would rather know for sure rather than assume that he had no connection. Elizabeth
ETernalightwithin
Space Cadet

Re: neutron counts Farnsworth

Post by ETernalightwithin »

grinder wrote: "Jack Fisher, one of the engineers of the fusion project later related to Steve blaising, another engineer who was not present at the time. Blaising was in charge ofmonitoring all of the radiation detection in the lab. THAT INCLUDED DOSIMETER BADGES WORN BY ALL OF THE PERSONEL AND ALSO PLACED IN STRATEGIC LOCATIONS AROUND THE LAB AND IN THE ACTUAL FUSOR PIT."

So some kind of ionization power source would have to be done in place of a flame jet ion generator. I'm unfamiliar with anything that would provide this except radioactive material. If this is the case, aren't we right back to limit of distance due to fuel source?
Last edited by ETernalightwithin on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Speaking of Fusion...

Post by Paul S. »

...The New York Times seems to be picking up our tremor in the force here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/27/scien ... ref=slogin

This might be the most prominent, mainstream mention of the Farnsworth Fusor I've seen since I first learned of the device -- more than 30 years ago.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Hi Guys:

I know for certain that there were bubble fusion experiments being conducted at the university where I was employed in the late 70's and early 80's, and after that the guy running the show went to Lawrence Livermore to continue the work.

flow.... 8)
Dancing is better than marching
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Blaising

Post by Paul S. »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote:So Paul, improbable perhaps, but not impossible. Where was your Mr. Blaising during the summer of 1966. I would rather know for sure rather than assume that he had no connection.
Steve Blaising stayed with ITT in Ft Wayne until he retired. He never left the Fort Wayne area. He also recalls the dosimeters from the Pontiac Street lab were sent to a lab in Chicago for processing.

'Zat answer your question ?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Rocky
Space Cadet

Post by Rocky »

Hi everyone,

As I recall I have seen a reference somewhere indicating Brown had excellent results with cadmium disks. I have forgotten where I read this bit of trivia. The principal target organ for cadmium is the lung. If he machined, welded, or otherwise worked with cadmium disks often, that could well be the source of the disease. Electric discharges from a cadmium surface could create an aerosol, which would target the lungs. I decided early on to not pursue using cadmium.

I don’t recall any particular increased susceptibility from radiation exposure to the lungs unless the material is suspended in air and inhaled. In this case isotopes (or their decay products), which emit alpha and beta particles, are the most dangerous. Radon, which may be found in mines and caves in high doses, has particularly hazardous daughter particles. There is a synergistic effect between various chemicals and radiation, which is very hard to predict. Cigarette smoke dramatically increases these effects as well.

That said, I know radioactive coatings on aircraft was experimented with extensively in the 1960’. Presumably this was to increase the stealthiest and reduce drag. Perhaps the good doctor was involved it this research? That would certainly require the use of a film badge. Interestingly enough the modified U2 was termed “dirty birdâ€
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Rainbows again

Coming around from my decidedly Hobbit viewpoint. I find the use of the word "Rainbow" for this project endlessly interesting.

In the late 1950’s there had been several attempts to reduce the radar cross-section of the U2 spy plane under the name Project Rainbow, detailed here.

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/002286.html

and then this : " This brings us to the B-2, an aircraft with has long been the subject of speculation. Even respected aviation writer Bill Gunston has commented on suggestions that the B-2 employs a system which charges the leading wing edge to ‘millions of volts’. (Interestingly, most such speculation is tied up with ideas of ‘electrogravitics’, anti-gravity and alien technology, which belong firmly in the disinformation category)."

firmly within the disinformation category perhaps? Sometimes things hide right in front of you and perhaps when people were telling stories of crashed and recovered UFOs .... perhaps some of them actually were alien craft.

Somewhere in these buckets of mine I have a comment from Dr. Robert Sarbacher to someone that his " Washington Institute of Technolgoy" laboratory was busy working on testing such material. ( I believe that it was comment made to William Lear but let me find that before you take that comment to heart. Lear went on though to express those thoughts quite openly to others .... that " Flying Saucers did exist etc"

Once clothed in the whole UFO/flying saucer disinformation campaign no one looked at those comments seriously. Maybe we need to go back. Someone once said to me that he felt perhaps there was a missing link in all of this. Perhaps it could be true that some alien developments did in fact help DR. Brown put the last few strokes to his canvas? Just my two cents worth again.

Thanks so much Rocky, More bright colored patterns on the floor of this situation. Another bright puzzle piece.

Elizabeth
Last edited by Elizabeth Helen Drake on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

cadmium

Post by Mikado14 »

Cad might enter through the lungs but the biggest side effect is neurological. I used to spin cast alloys that contained cad and used a vent hood over the furnace and wore a breather when melting and spinning.

Did Dr. Brown ever exhibit any neurological disorders? anyone?

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

perhaps wrong trail, for him

Its my understanding that he did not of course I am not too well acquainted with how that might present itself and what would be the manifestations.

Its been my understanding that during the summer of 1966 while they worked at the "Decker Research Laboratory" at Bala Cynwyd all of the people " On the hill" as they called it were required to wear dosimeter badges on their lab coats. Linda Brown has stated to others that EVERYONE on the hill had to have a lab coat on and EVERY lab coat had a badge sewn into it. They were left at the facility every night and I assume now were collected and new ones resewn. I have often wondered fancifully if I could find the person who did all that sewing!

I seriously doubt that Dr. Brown felt that there was actually a clear and present danger of radiation, badges or not. I doubt that he would have allowed his daughter to be present if that was the case. I rather have suspected that it was more along the lines of the Fusor project and Mr. Farnsworths requirements for dosimeter badges which, again, were collected every night. I had thought that perhaps the same man might have been in charge of that but I guess not.

ITT huh Paul. Your Admiral who was the go between with Farnsworth? Wasn't he the fellow who happened to pass along the Allende marked up version of that book? And I think that you have already speculated .... was he helping? or minding? Just another ripple in the pond. Elizabeth
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Elizabeth,

Neurological disorders (damage to the central nervouse system) are varied, but some of the more common effects are mood swings, anger issues, inability to concentrate, memory problems, tremors, that kind of thing.

According to the Brown family, Mikado, he didn't seem to display any neurological problems. Aside from the lung problems and general aging, he was active and experimenting almost up to the end.
Andrew
Qualight Environmental
(http://www.qualight.com, http://www.qualightenv.com, http://www.qualightscp.com)

"If you think the situation is under control, then you don't truly understand the situation."