WHITE PONIES Discussion Group

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

WHITE PONIES Discussion Group

Post by Victoria Steele »

Ok, I know, I know .... its a strange title but if you hang in there I will explain.

At some point I tried to ask all kinds of questions about Linda Brown. Well, that didn't get me very far, and I can understand now that she is a lady for probably very good reasons maintains a high level of privacy. Paul locked the site ... with a ... no, don't go there. That sort of bothered me ... shut out ... but then I realized that Linda really didn't want people discussing her life and much of it she just does not want to share .

But she does love horses.

And when Lisa Culpepper asked her to help with a problem she was having with her horse Linda responded graciously and rather quickly because I know that she sensed it was important to Lisa.

So maybe I am going in the wrong direction again and if so Paul, just throw this out. But I just think that Lisa and Linda probably should have their discussions in a more appropriate place and if Linda doesn't mind, I'd like to make this post the spot .

I got the inspiration from this while visiting my ex husband (oh don't ask) and a little way up this country road was a field with white ponies in it and of course , I thought of you Lisa and wondered how you were doing with "Blinker". I also realized that some pretty important stuff had been talked about, between you and Linda. I don't know, maybe I am wrong.

The gentleman who apparently owned the ponies walked up to me and visited a moment. We laughed about how they all ran around and around and around .... but never really wanted OUT, because they actually didn't want OUT. He was charming and made the comment as he walked away that those ponies were alot like humans. And of course I thought again of you and me and Paul and everything that has been mentioned in the last several months and you know I think that gentleman was right. We all talk about wanting to meet extra terrestrials or somesuch but do we really want that? or are we just making a big show of it, like those ponies. When the gate is opened ... will we really want OUT. And when that happens, will the pasture ever seem the same?

I saw that you did well at the show Lisa. Tell us more about it. I am sure that Linda wants to hear too. Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

'Blinker" and Standing At The Gate

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:I thought of you Lisa and wondered how you were doing with "Blinker".
How wonderfully curious (sounds like something Alice would say, doesn't it?) that the horse in question would be named 'Blinker." You do remember, right, that Stepehenson was mentored into his world by Admiral Reginald 'Blinker' Hall?, right? Well, that means this horse is, deliberately, directly -- or not -- named for a "Caroline" member. Or.... so I've been told.
We all talk about wanting to meet extra terrestrials or somesuch but do we really want that? or are we just making a big show of it, like those ponies. When the gate is opened ... will we really want OUT. And when that happens, will the pasture ever seem the same?
Good question. Reminds me of the closing scene in "Close Encounters," when Richard Dreyfuss is invited aboard the Mother Ship. Would I go? Would you? Knowing nothing about what awaits? I don't know that I can answer that question, at least, not hypothetically. Open the gate for me, and we'll all just have to see what happens.

Will there be scuba diving? Baseball? Colorful autumns? Can I bring my guitar? Will I need my laptop or hand-held? I'd hate to think I'd be giving up such things but... the marvels outside might be even more .... marvelous.

This thread is fine here, Victoria. Thanks for understanding about Linda's need to maintain her low profile.

And good to have you back.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

too much pony

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Elizabeth and Linda (Hi Paul, thanks for the spot)

Oh I did better than I thought I would! Previously my little mare just shows too much pony and not enough horse, if you guys know what I mean. She definitely has a mind of her own and shes set in her ways so trying to get something different or new out of her is like a real challenge sometimes.

I have been using some of those leg yield exercises on her and you know I think it is helping her listen to me because she is responding with her whole body and I am not just pulling her head around this way or that.
We actually did better than we have ever done, but the whole time I was thinking of Blinker. He needed the time off. I nearly have ridden the hide right off of him but you know something very strange is happening. I don't even have to pick up my reins because he is feeling my wishes . I thought my legs would fall off giving signals but now all I have to do is think... and he just does. Its the wierdest thing.

I am convinced that your advice Linda has helped me with both of my horses .... (my third is leased out so I don't have to worry about it.)

So can you tell me how many horses you were able to keep? I still can't figure how you managed to move so much and still keep up with your lessons or your training.

Being on the beltway with a four horse trailer is an experience in itself, especially with Dad driving. He tries and hes getting better but its always a relief to get there, and get home again!

So back in the arena tonight. Just wait until Blinker and I get our act together! We are going to be awesome! Linda, can you tell me if you had a favorite horse and what its name was? Lisa
Madison
Space Cadet

three ponies

Post by Madison »

This is an old poem that was published in a book of poetry selected by Caroline Kennedy in honor of her Mother Jacgueline Kennedy Onassis.

From what I knew of her character Jackie reminded me a little of you Victoria. A romantic at heart and the one who picked the warrior spirit out of the crowd.

She handpicked this little poem. A friend gave me this book after having it for years and I think I was meant to note your experience watching the ponies you found with this poem. I know that this entire situation is connected somehow. And I have come to appreciate the connections when I see them , and note them. Explanations can come a whole lot later!

And Lisa, I am sure this is for you too.

Three Ponies

Three little ponies who didn't like their hay
Said to each other "Lets run away!"
Said the first " I will canter!"
Said the second "I will trot!"
Said the third "I will run, if its not too hot!"

And they all started off
with their tails in the air
But they couldn't jump the fence,
So they're all still there.

Madison
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

picture

Post by Victoria Steele »

Paul,

Is there any way that you could post that picture of Linda Brown here on this section instead of having it sort of lost , even I can't find it now, where it was originally. That way we sort of have that illustration for the post and its what actually inspired Lisa to the work she is doing now with "Blinker"

Yes, I noticed too Paul that "Blinker" could have stood for "Blinker Hall" but I understand from an earlier post from Mark that it was from "Wynken, Blinken and Nod " ... the three knicknames given her horses.

But that doesn't stop the strangeness! Read how Linda Bolland responded to those names, its as if they called her. And the poem they both took those names from is something she signs off with after each one of her messages!

So it is strange isn't it. Lisa doesn't actually call her horse (I pay attention , his real name is "Rapid Response") She doesn't call him "Blinken" but actually "Blinker" .... so both of these "threads" have been picked up somehow. How strange is that.

And whoever named the horse in the first place? " Rapid Response" ... isn't that just another name for the teams that are sent out . The "anti-terrorist teams?" So can I ask Mark? Who named the horse in the first place. I'll just bet it will be another strange thread!

Anyway Paul. Can you post that picture of Linda here for us too?

And ya got any more news about just when I can expect my "Thursday" post? Am I really going to have to wait for "Thursday"

I am being good, ya gotta admit! Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: picture

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:Paul,

Is there any way that you could post that picture of Linda Brown here on this section instead of having it sort of lost , even I can't find it now, where it was originally. That way we sort of have that illustration for the post and its what actually inspired Lisa to the work she is doing now with "Blinker"
Here ya go:

The original is in the the "Chapter 34 - The Caroline Group" section:

viewtopic.php?t=212&start=0&postdays=0& ... highlight=
Yes, I noticed too Paul that "Blinker" could have stood for "Blinker Hall" but I understand from an earlier post from Mark that it was from "Wynken, Blinken and Nod " ... the three knicknames given her horses.
Guess I missed that.
But that doesn't stop the strangeness! Read how Linda Bolland responded to those names, its as if they called her. And the poem they both took those names from is something she signs off with after each one of her messages!
That I noticed.
So it is strange isn't it. Lisa doesn't actually call her horse (I pay attention , his real name is "Rapid Response") She doesn't call him "Blinken" but actually "Blinker" .... so both of these "threads" have been picked up somehow. How strange is that.
No stranger than the rest of the stuff going on here. I mean, here in the Parallel Universe, "strange" = "normal." Right?
And ya got any more news about just when I can expect my "Thursday" post? Am I really going to have to wait for "Thursday"

I am shooting for Monday. Then hopefully can get back on sked for the rest of the week. I'm pretty sure you'll find the wait for the extra material worth it.
I am being good, ya gotta admit!
I appreciate that, and everybody's patience. Not a squawk. Thanks everybody.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

HES LAZY

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Paul and Everybody,

Just wanted you to know that everything is going really great with Blinker BUT I think that my legs are going to fall off! Its hard just using your leg to push a horse one way or the other, epecially when he is flat not listening! but Blinker is getting better , really!

I wanted to ask Linda what I should do next? He is bending away from my leg pretty good and has quit trying to run off entirely and he hasn't tried to buck and run off since that first night .

I remembered that you said that I could "ride as fast as he could run" so I just relaxed and let him go, and the minute I did that, he didn't want to run off like that anymore! He is basically a lazy horse for a thoroughbred I have discovered (but I never knew that.) I just thought that he could go and go and go .... but he tuckers out pretty quick! and then he decides its just no fun anymore.

Then when I ask him to do what I want he sort of goes, "well, alright, thats easier, I'll do it her way .... and its not all that bad, doing it her way" So in a way we are beginning to understand each other. I know now that most of him was bluff and he is basically lazy under all the show ...... and he knows that I'm not lazy and somehow I stick with him. This is really a different experience, I'll tell you.

I am gathering sort of a crowd at night. I had to ask them to watch from a distance but the woman who said that I shouldn't do it this way, that I needed a trainer, is now saying that she can see a real improvement in him and that I should take him to the show coming up this weekend.

Its tempting becuse I would like to show off how well he is doing but I don't think I'd better because you told me not to and I agree. Besides I don't think we are REALLY ready for prime time yet.

Thanks for your help but now can you tell me what we should concentrate on next? I think we pretty much have this. I don't even have to pick up the reins most of the time. Sitting on my pockets works to bring him right down to a walk from a canter. I couldn't do that before with a bit in his mouth! thanks so much for the help. We will make you proud. Lisa
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Lisa and Blinker

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Lisa,
If I ever have a daughter, I would sure like her to be like you. Active, probably real wholesome. :D

I would also love to see a picture of Blinker. Preferably with you on, but if your dad prefers just to have the horse, that's fine.

Mark, I'm impressed. Your daughter is way cool (the Valley Girl in me would say).

Linda Bolland
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

oooh, I love poems too!

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Madison, I loved that poem you submitted! That sounds appropriate for Lisa.
Victoria Steele wrote: But that doesn't stop the strangeness! Read how Linda Bolland responded to those names, its as if they called her. And the poem they both took those names from is something she signs off with after each one of her messages!
Yup, you're right. I remember that discussion! Here's the whole poem

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod (Dutch Lullaby)
by Eugene Field (1850-1895)

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe---
Sailed on a river of crystal light,
Into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?"
The old moon asked the three.
"We have come to fish for the herring fish
That live in this beautiful sea;
Nets of silver and gold have we!"
Said Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

The old moon laughed and sang a song,
As they rocked in the wooden shoe,
And the wind that sped them all night long
Ruffled the waves of dew.
The little stars were the herring fish
That lived in that beautiful sea---
"Now cast your nets wherever you wish---
Never afeard are we";
So cried the stars to the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

All night long their nets they threw
To the stars in the twinkling foam---
Then down from the skies came the wooden shoe,
Bringing the fishermen home;
'T was all so pretty a sail it seemed
As if it could not be,
And some folks thought 't was a dream they 'd dreamed
Of sailing that beautiful sea---
But I shall name you the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

Wynken and Blynken are two little eyes,
And Nod is a little head,
And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies
Is a wee one's trundle-bed.
So shut your eyes while mother sings
Of wonderful sights that be,
And you shall see the beautiful things
As you rock in the misty sea,
Where the old shoe rocked the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

Linda B
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

poetry in the moonlight

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Linda B,

Thanks so much for sharing that magical poem with us. And I am so pleased that we have sort of a sheltered spot here where we can share poetry, and a girls love for a horse, and all those special things that might not make a dent in the mainstream of the other discussions but are actually at the core of everything already.

I happen to be really enjoying this special site and I hope that others out there feel welcomed to join us here. We don't have to talk about science and its OK to think and talk about how special it must be to ride a horse bareback in the moonlight .....

Lisa,
All of us are very proud of you and if ever you want to share a picture of your special horse with us you know we will all be interested.

Elizabeth
SLicK-G
Space Cadet

The horse who could dance

Post by SLicK-G »

Yes, I have seen that picture on more than one occasion. And yes, your legs will fall off. At least I thought mine were about to at any time. Don't just use your legs, it's a matter of whole body. I used to be able to ride my horse with just a halter and jump her in it. We were taught how to change directions, leg yield, pivot, extend trot, slow speed and even stop with just our body, no hands. A wonderful thing to learn is dressage. Some people say it's like watching cement set, but it's one of the most beautiful excerscises to watch when you get good. I'm going to post a link that was sent from my Grandfather and Grandmother. Yes, the very same, Mr. Franklin and Mrs. Franklin. They know how much I love the horses and dogs.

With your daughter, have her start using her hips, lower back and butt. After reading this little tidbit of information about Blinker, you don't need a trainer. . Head up, back straight, heels down, legs perpendicular to the shoulder, always make sure that the saddle fits you and the horse. And if you want to go one way, face that way, just don't look down, because you'll go there too. Picture the way you want to go and let your body ask the horse. Try this on a office chair prior to trying on live horse. Say you want to turn left. Set the chair so that your feet fit on the floor flat and straight down from your shoulder. Now look left, and turn your body left without moving your feet, and see if you can turn the seat to the left. Now stop before returning to normal position. Where is your right leg and left leg? Did one go slightly in front of the other? Did your hips rotate some along with your shoulder lifting some? And did you sit slightly more on the right cheek? You just opened the way to where you want to horse to go and then asked in a forward direction by squeezing your leg. Remember, everything is done in a forward motion. Even backing is done in a forward motion. And how do you back your horse? You should do it by asking it to go forward, while holding the reigns taught. Not pulling on them, but pushing the horse into the bit but stopping the head from going anywhere. Pretend that there is a wall of rice paper in front of your horse. You have to keep your horse from pushing his/her nose through it. So, while your squeezing with the legs, you also stop the nose from going outward, like they would if they were to walk. If you let the horses nose loose, he/she rips the wall. And to stop, is another forward movement. Only it uses your pockets as we used to call them. Roll slightly on your pockets while shutting down the front end. I hope that I've explained it easy enough. Hard to do with out showing how myself . After taking many a lessons, I learned how to train the horse. But what was even more of a challenge, was teaching the person how to ask the horse.

A little story. I was training a horse that came straight off of the track. Even had his upper lip tatooed. Well, his name was Spinner. Never name and animal something that it may become. Well, after he dumped the owner and her husband, I took over. And she was a trainer herself. Took me almost a month, just to get him to walk. Because race horses are taught, the tighter the reigns, the faster you go. So the first month we trotted until tired, which became a really long time after he became muscular, and then learned to walk. We didn't even canter until after a month of learning how to walk. At this point I still couldn't even tie him. I could sometime cross tie, but never to a bar. If he felt any resistance from his lower jaw, that was all it took. My first lesson on that was getting kicked in the face while trying to wrap his hind legs. OUCH!!. Well, after learning all the basics, walk, trot, canter, stop (that was another good one), and here we go. Teach him how to allow horses to come toward him from the front, hence the name Spinner. He left me sitting on my butt, but only once. Well, we then came to jumping. That was easy, he liked that. But when a person came to buy him, she had interest in a 3 day event horse. I was like, uh oh, never taught him how to do dressage. Well, there was no time like the present to ask him to do a few things. So, when I asked him to do some odd things, like haunches in, or half pass, lengthen his trot. And sure enough, he did them without out a glitch. When you put things together in asking, the horse has only one way to answer, and that's by doing what you ask. Remember, everything is in a forward motion.

Here is the link that was sent to me.

Just watch and be amazed.

http://beboframe.com/FlashFrame.jsp?Siz ... 3309347442

Let me know what you think.

I hope that you haven't fallen asleep by the time you get here. My finger just can't stop when talking about what I love. And if doesn't help you, you can yell at me all you want.

Slick
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

I can see

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Slick,

I can see what a wonderful horsewoman you have become. In reading your words I couldn't help but see the horses all responding to you. Linda Brown has to be enormously proud of you. And I just get the feeling that the phrase that she used for teaching you " remember, everything is a forward motion" works here on the forum too. Elizabeth
Trickfox
The Magician

INCREDIBLE

Post by Trickfox »

Slick

That YOU TUBE was TERRIFIC, MAGNIFICENT, and INCREDIBLE.

Elizabeth, YOU MUST try and see that you tube that Slick just posted.
Just write down the URL and the next time you go into an internet café you will be so happy to see that. TRUST ME it's worth it......

That 9 year old was DANCING like John Travolta. Literally whipping it's tail back and forth and hoping right/left at the tune of "Lady Marmalad" .

It's the most stunning thing I've ever seen on horses.

I'm still in awwwww.........

I never imagined horses could love soft rock music so much and dance so well.

And what a wonderful break from technology.......

Mind if I hang around here ladies?

The trickfox wishes it could dance like that too.
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

What a horse ! What an incredible performance !

Which only goes to prove that for horses, as well as for people, "dancing is better than marching".

Slick, thanks for sharing that with us, and Trickfox, you'd make a terrific horse show critic. You're not so bad at the math thingy either.

flow.... :wink:
Dancing is better than marching
SLicK-G
Space Cadet

family photos

Post by SLicK-G »

Kwik City Music - aka "April"
the day she was born - April 94

A Music Tradition - aka "Teddy"
Her daddy

Fibber McGee - her half brother

Thought I would throw in the pics of her daddy and her brother to show the family similarities. All three of them have a Mickey Mouse head on their blankets. Kind of neat.

Slick