NOTEPAD for RANDOM IDEAS

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Gewis
Junior Birdman

Post by Gewis »

I take it your research into high-K dielectrics deals a lot with BaTiO3. Have you used 100 nm barium titanate powders with 100 nm strontium zirconate powder for a curie-point shifter? I also found some methods for creating 30-50 nm BaTiO3 powders.

My biggest problem is that my oven will barely hit 1100 C, which is about 80 C too cold for the right firing temperature. Higher temp ovens run much higher price. :(
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research!" -Einstein
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Kevin,

"If" ? Sure you can have a piece or two, but...

Gewis,

Your postscript quote is what I was just thinking.

Yes, we have used BaTiO3 as one of our bases, and have used strontium ziconate, but not at 100 nm. We have stayed away from the lead titanates/zirconates, and other toxic materials. We're trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible.

We had a small pottery kiln that went up to cone 10, but we sold it off last year when we shifted gears. We now use a proprietary method to achieve 98% density and much higher temperatures in a fraction of the time.

We've accidentally melted several pure BiTiO3 samples (M.P. 1625 C), which gets messy, because at that temperature it eats right into our equipment. Kind of funny, actually, I was poking around with an early, small slag heap, and that's how we got onto that line of thought in the first place. Good thing I'm accident prone :)

Our biggest problem was that we were creating large, thin discs, and were running into radial stress cracks vs. warping. Just with any ceramics, the addition of additives vs. desired characteristics (Ke) came into play. In the end, it looked like a design issue to be worked around, though.
Andrew
Qualight Environmental
(http://www.qualight.com, http://www.qualightenv.com, http://www.qualightscp.com)

"If you think the situation is under control, then you don't truly understand the situation."
Gewis
Junior Birdman

Post by Gewis »

Chris Knight wrote:Kevin,

"If" ? Sure you can have a piece or two, but...

Gewis,

Your postscript quote is what I was just thinking.

Yes, we have used BaTiO3 as one of our bases, and have used strontium ziconate, but not at 100 nm. We have stayed away from the lead titanates/zirconates, and other toxic materials. We're trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible.

We had a small pottery kiln that went up to cone 10, but we sold it off last year when we shifted gears. We now use a proprietary method to achieve 98% density and much higher temperatures in a fraction of the time.

We've accidentally melted several pure BiTiO3 samples (M.P. 1625 C), which gets messy, because at that temperature it eats right into our equipment. Kind of funny, actually, I was poking around with an early, small slag heap, and that's how we got onto that line of thought in the first place. Good thing I'm accident prone :)

Our biggest problem was that we were creating large, thin discs, and were running into radial stress cracks vs. warping. Just with any ceramics, the addition of additives vs. desired characteristics (Ke) came into play. In the end, it looked like a design issue to be worked around, though.
"That's funny..." is usually how the best discoveries go. So you're saying that if I turn some good ceramic dielectric into a slag heap, I might come across the secret of RTSCs? :P

Too bad your methods are proprietary. It'd be interesting to compare proprietary notes some day. Maybe when Trickfox beats us both? :)
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research!" -Einstein
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Before I say anything about this, does it look familiar to anyone?

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
James Barrett

thats interesting

Post by James Barrett »

A two directional something, something. Shows you how much I know.

Waiting to hear what more you have to say, thats for sure.

And I agreee with you from another post. I don't think its been built yet either. But if not, when? And by whom? Or are we seeing that happening now? I suspect so, both right in front of us and in other parts of the world, maybe unknown to us.

And I suspect there are many levels between where we are now and to the lady in Hawaii who can shape the rocks in her own hands. Not possible to take the direct route to her level, so learning to build along the way seems rational to me. Many questions to be answered yet.

So Mikado? What is the thing? JDB
Geoff
Space Cadet

Post by Geoff »

Mikado,
Your illustration has elements that remind me of the circuit symbol for a diode. A diode allows current to flow in one direction, but not the other. I therefore guess that this illustration is of Dr Brown’s VERY SPECIAL ‘tunnel’ diode (which should not to be confused with common or garden tunnel diodes readily available in electronic stores).
I also guess that this diode allows information to ‘tunnel’ between the electro-magnetic realm and the electro-gravitic realm, and that the two ‘red triangles’ and the short ‘control line’ indicate that this device is switchable to allows the information to flow in one, the other, or both directions.
I imagine that the device consists mainly of ‘rock’.
I guess that the loudspeaker utilised such a device, as would an identical microphone.
Having said all that, I guess that I’m not very imaginative!
Look forward to seeing what others make of it.
Geoff
Trickfox
The Magician

Barber pole

Post by Trickfox »

OK.... I know this...
It's a barber pole.....
no..... it's a teeter todder....
or maybe it's a maypole with an extra post.

Aww shoot..... it's a FLUX CAPACITOR (no it can't be because it does not have a "y" shape)

Aw shucks I give up
anyhow, I like Geoff's explanation better than mine
Nice to hear from you Geoff.
Can you tell us more about how you understand the tunnel diode thingy

Trickfox
Last edited by Trickfox on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

The material shown portrays an angle cut to the grain, therefore a pathway will always be created to the edge, whichever way stuff flows through it.
If you imagine a ping ball dropping in, it will be encouraged always to the edge.
Kevin
fibonacci is king
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

A triode amplifier ?

That's the best idea I've got here...
Andrew
Qualight Environmental
(http://www.qualight.com, http://www.qualightenv.com, http://www.qualightscp.com)

"If you think the situation is under control, then you don't truly understand the situation."
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

design

Post by Victoria Steele »

I could turn that into a design for a fabric .... commercially turn it over to some major dressmaker .... have it printed on dresses and sheets and all kinds of other fabric and then turn it loose on the world .... and we would all have something probably pretty important right under our nose.

Oh but wait. Maybe thats already happened. Victoria
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Honestly, it looks like a part of the border decoration on an antique Native American pot .

flow.... 8)
Dancing is better than marching
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

my point

Post by Victoria Steele »

My point exactly Flowperson. My point exactly. Victoria
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

sorta Triac

Post by greggvizza »

Its got sort of a Triac vibe to it. But not exactly. Hmmm
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Post by greggvizza »

Which end are you suppose to light?
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

your reaction

Post by Mark Culpepper »

I would like to hear your reaction Gregg to the new two chapters just posted. Maybe the most important of the whole book. Take a look .... and then let me know what your thoughts are, please.

And Flow? Mikado? Andrew? Victoria? ( Now I see why you absolutely had to have the first pole position!) Trickfox? Grady? Griffin? Geoff, Gewis? JDB? Linda B?

EVERYBODY ... even if you have never posted your thoughts before. Now is the time! And Elizabeth? Mr. Twigsnapper?

Here we all are and Paul has made it to " THE END" ... whistles and stomps and a big yahoo!!!!!!

And Gregg ....As far as the envelope where you are. My advice?...... Move. MarkC