Chapter 30 - The Caroline

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 30 - The Caroline

Post by Paul S. »

... has been uploaded to this URL:

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... oline.html

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

electronic communications

Post by Victoria Steele »

I have read this new chapter several times now. At first I was slightly disappointed that you didn't really say much about Townsend Brown ........ but in a way you have told EVERYTHING about his future haven't you. Its all been leading up to his experiences on the Caroline huh? And what happens later is all wound up in this big ship.

Look at it folks. All the rubbish that we have had to sort through with other writers about "wealthy industrialists pulling strings" .... Look at this .... just look at what the Caroline represents ..... there is a trend here that Paul knows about and he is just waiting for us to see. I see it now. I do. And I have . But I am not going to say anything more until you guys see it too. Just remember a couple of his words. "electronic communications.".

Thanks Paul. Now I have something to really look at. Victoria
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

seeing the future

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Victoria,

I was amazed too of the power and scope of the Caroline. And to me she represents her owner in a very important way ....... she is one of the end results of his amazing business abilities. (And with every business success there is always the element of being able to successfully judge where the future is headed and get there before it.)

Paul noted that Johnson and his partner had the foresight to sell out before radio started picking away at their market. They also sold out just before the depression hit, so effectively had cash on them while many other businesses were virtually wiped out. Was that just good business sense? Yes .... Was there a mystical connection to that foresight? Maybe. The fact that Johnson was so interested in the works of Carrol speaks much about trips down Rabbit holes.

Whatever got him to that position when that ship cruised south with the young Townsend Brown on board .... I believe that it had on board elements and personalities that would have much to do with the communications systems developed world wide in the turbulent years that follow. My studied opinion here folks, what do you think?

Sometimes its interesting to just note how things sometimes move like chess pieces on a board. Elizabeth
Madison
Space Cadet

why would you say that?

Post by Madison »

Paul is going to say , oh no, not HER again.

But I have another question here.

Why are you trying to apoligize for this chapter before we all even get a chance to read it?

I read the chapter. I didn't find it at all fat to be left on the cutting room floor, not did I find it so disinteresting that I had to have the pictures to make it more palatable. So why did you say that about your work? Nothing to be ashamed of here but you apoligize. For what?

You either stand behind your words totally or not. From what I have seen so far, this is an interesting chapter which probably is setting some kind of stage for the future of Townsend Brown.... so why the distance from your own words? Madison
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

sailing into interesting waters

Yes, I agree with Madison. Are we the only ones who found the last chapter interesting? Admittedly I was looking for more on the couples, but thats just me, and that can wait! Look what we have here!

Dr. Brown assigned to a cruise on the recommendation of a man he happened to help save in an earthquake, a scientist that seemed able to get navys from different countries to do his bidding for him ........ and then suddenly he is on the yacht of a VERY wealthy man who seems capable of almost any international operation. I don't know whats coming down but I can sense that Townsend Brown is sailing into adventure here. For sure. We are righ, huh Paul. So what happens next, or are we stuck with " talking amongst ourselves" for another week?

So Johnsons mother never knew that she had such a fine ship named after her ... I find that sad and somehow very touching ..... special to have something that beautiful named after you. Again, the romantic in me speaking ........ Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

"Caveat," not "Apology"

Post by Paul S. »

Madison wrote:Paul is going to say , oh no, not HER again.
I hardly know you yet, Madison. So for now I'll reserve that kind of reaction for Victoria... :shock:
Why are you trying to apoligize for this chapter before we all even get a chance to read it?
Now what am I going to do? Apologize for apologizing?
I read the chapter. I didn't find it at all fat to be left on the cutting room floor, not did I find it so disinteresting that I had to have the pictures to make it more palatable. So why did you say that about your work? Nothing to be ashamed of here but you apoligize.
I appreciate that very much Madison and sincerely thank you for that input. I would call my introduction to yesterday's chapter more of a "caveat" than an apology, something of a "heads up" (like it's really needed?) that this story is going to take some strange turns along the way and the point of some new direction will not be clear immediately (if at all?).

So, that was less than an apology than it was "bear with me."
From what I have seen so far, this is an interesting chapter which probably is setting some kind of stage for the future of Townsend Brown
I'm very glad to hear that you found the story of Eldridge Johnson interesting. I know I did, and I enjoyed doing the research necessary to come up with that thumbnail sketch of a fascinating bit of lost Americana.

I used to be in the music business, so learning how instrumental Eldridge Johnson was to some of the business models that are still in use today I found very interesting. I would love to share that information with some of my former colleagues and friends who are still in the biz. Their regard for the history of the industry is woefully shameful.

Thanks,

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

yes, me

Ah, reserving a special place in your heart already! The " her again!" spot!
I know it well, as you have guessed!

Madison was right you know .... you did not need to say anything ..... just write the damn story because like you say there are people out there who are woefully unaware of history.

Are you going to have to rewrite some part of history around Townsend Brown? Probably! I know how history gets mangled and put out there ...... (and then basically ignored anyway) ..... and I know that might be a scarey adventure. People are going to get all incensed. So what! Write what you see as the truth! Be bold ....you have something to say .... go ahead and say it. Remember the people you are saying it for! Victoria
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

words reach back

Hi Paul,

I hadn't really thought at first glance that your introduction to the last chapter (30) read sort of like an apology ........ until I reread it a few times and I am beginning to see what Madison and Victoria are talking about here.

You do sort of sound like you are sort of apolizing ahead of time.

It makes me think of a phrase from Beau Kitselman ( I may have this wrong Suzette and if I do, please correct me) but ifI remember it right he said something like ...... "be careful what you say because your words have a way of reaching back and claiming you" And this, I think is exactly what Beau was talking about.

If you start out apoligizing for something, you eventually have something to apoligize for.

And that is not the case here. Elizabeth
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

manifesting destiny

Borrowing an old history term since my mind seems to be locked in history today. Manifest Destiny.

We have all heard that as we daydreamed through our American History class but there is something very special to that thought. The founders of this country SAW what she was going to be someday .... stretching from "sea to shining sea" and that vision was so strong that we became what those gentlemen through history saw. Many of them died and are still dying to preserve the vision of that destiny.

(this is sort of an aside to the main thought here but I just wanted to say thatI understand here what you are trying to say about unspoken centurions. I see them through the ages, not just now.)

But going back to that Manifest Destiny. It is what is says Destiny manifested. You speak it. You get it .... under most conditions. Just try going into a test saying "I am going to fail this stupid thing, I just know it." and see what happens. Something wierd happens when your prepared thoughts reach out into the unknown ... the unknown answers. So consider and prepare your words carefully!

So yes Paul, I agree with the others. You have done well here. Better than anyone I have ever read on Townsend Brown and better than alot of other biographies too so don't go "shooting yourself in the foot" so that you can be allowed to limp. No limping ...... just speak for what you have been prepared to say .... and the rest will be joined by Providence. Victoria
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

just noticed

Hey, I just noticed that someone with the call name "expensivechandler" just signed up and I wondered ..... from the name .... perhaps you know something about fine ships like the Caroline? Or Am I way off base? In anycase welcome and join in the discussion. Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Brace Yerselves

Post by Paul S. »

Sorry to disappoint you, Victoria, but if you visit "Chandler's" member listing and lick on the URL he left there, you'll get a page promoting some cell phone ring-tone service. We better brace ourselves for some spam. I'll try kill it before it multiplies.

Likewise some other new "members" that signed on today. I will probably have to exterminate them all.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Angela Bloomstrum
Space Cadet

leaping from pond to pond

Post by Angela Bloomstrum »

Bright fish flashing here.

Disturbed a little by the thought of commercial junk swelling the "registered members" list . So, yes, Mr. "Eliminator man" ..... good idea.

Make room for the others that want to join and really count. smiles, Angela
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

READ CHAPTER 31

TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE JUST READ CHAPTER 30 .... MAKE SURE THAT YOU GO ON TO READ CHAPTER 31. THE IMPLICATIONS OF THAT CHAPTER ARE AMAZING!!!!! How about that for something to think about? Victoria
Dr. Jordan
Space Cadet

Who else came on board?

Post by Dr. Jordan »

I had to reread this chapter 6 times. The order of the guests who boarded were as follows?

Brown and his scientific crew
Johnson and family
Douglass and family
and the _______?

I get it now. I just reread chapter 31 and 32. Nassau. There are those moments when you get an AHA~ I just got mine. Very well written chapter, Mr. Paul S.

I was never one into history, but you sucked me in. I have a greater appreciation for the history of music and music recording. And now I know where that doggy advert came from. Thank you for providing that background! At first I could not understand why you were going into such depth about the Johnson/Douglass Merger. But now I can see why. Victoria, that was a good pick up about the communications link among all those guests on board.
just like chess pieces. Sometimes I felt that GOD had a hand in my life... moving me around this globe. Yup. Pretty cool.

Any of you have stories where you feel that Someone was directing your life, putting pieces together for you? I'd like to hear some real life examples. i have plenty. I'll start ~

I did my residency in Minnesota because I didn't match in my home state. I wound up in one of the best pediatric programs in the world because of that and this positioned me to move back to my home state where I wound up meeting my spouse. I think if I matched in my home state, I would not be married right now. Ok someone else go.
iamnotbutiknowIAM
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

SIMILIAR STORIES

Dr. Jordan,

I think many of us could match the emotion that you describe. The feeling that we were somehow led to our career or the people in our lives. I have been led into this project too by a very strong guiding hand.

I have been lending a hand for about four years now. Its been a challenge and quite frankly the story did not go where I thought that it would go! New revelations nearly everyday. And these "revealations" didn't generally just fall into Pauls hands. He had to work very hard for even the smallest piece of information. Its been hard, as you can guess .

the most common saying between us seems to be the astonished WHAT? .... long pause ..... WHAT? whenever something seems to become suddenly clear, there is always this exclamation of astonishment! But behind all the hard work always seems to be the feeling that we were somehow shown where to go ....

So thats my story of recognizing that guiding hand. I see it nearly everytime Paul says .... "Now where did THAT come from?"

As he said recently... sometimes the best thing that a writer can do is to recognize the moment when there is something out there that needs to express itself .... and best thing for the writer to do is simply get out of the way. Elizabeth